Forum: Disco / Disco - Parents Only

Page:
Page 7 of 25: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 21 22 23 24 25
re: slow cozzie fabric
By princess_jodiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:50 AM
Hiya

the place I use the most for this type of fabric is fabricland. I am lucky to have one quite close to me in brighton but they do mail order. fabricland.co.uk

they have body stocking mesh in a couple of colours and also in a new twinkle one with glitter on it.

hope this helps, any more questions and I'll try to help

luv Janet
re: making costumes?
By funkymePremium member
On Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:45 PM
i was in this situation a couple of years ago. so i took the bull by the horns and attempted my first costume this was a solo with a funky multi coloured tutu all stones with matching accesories i think i was way b4 my time judging by what i have seen at a few comps recently. it won best costume award at the 2nd comp attended!! now after a lot of practice on old outgrown costumes and scraps of material i feel fully confident and quite artistic. i wish you luck with yours and hope it brings youas much pleasure as i get seeing my daughter in one of my creations,.
can anyone help!!!!
By SOPHIEDIDDLEmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Mar 24, 2007 01:10 PM
could anyone tell me where to get the heavy lace that lots of the costumes and headresses are now being made out of, i am going to alter my daughters costume to hotpants and fancied either putting lace on to it or maybe fringing will probably end up buying her a new one but thought i'd have a go anyway!!!!!!
By groovygranmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Mar 26, 2007 01:12 AM
I think you are talking stretch lace her and motifs

Try nevtex.co.uk or

chirsanne.co.uk

They both do next day deliveries too

Mama DD's xxx
By jaydy
On Mon Mar 26, 2007 05:01 PM
hi, i also want to start making costumes but i would like to design some first. i was just wondering if anyone knew where to get a basic body template for me to do my designs on as i cant seem to get the body shape right!!
thank you x x
By quickdancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Apr 06, 2007 07:27 PM
I’m a dance dad, and I soon realised that it was going to be an expensive business. So I started making my children’s costumes. That was three years ago, and I now make most of the costumes in the school and will soon be on the net. When I started, finding a basic pattern was hard. I used swimsuits and did alterations and repairs on second hand costumes, until I built up a range of patterns. Then I just sat for a few days and redrew and standardised the patterns into sizes.
making costumes?
By AlexStar1member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:56 AM
hiya everyone!
there is loads of great advice on here - so many clever mums lol.
does anyone know where we could get an overlocker?
thanks
alex
x
By quickdancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Apr 08, 2007 05:37 PM
I got mine from Argos!
making costumes?
By AlexStar1member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:02 AM
Removed by Theresa (28613) on 2007-04-11 12:41:47 not a parent
hiya!
i've been begging my mum to have a go at making me a costume ( i need a new stoned one because i've grown - as young people do! lol ) but she just keeps going on " i can't i'm not talented " :( but also can't afford to keep buying costumes at such high prices! i think that we should just get the basic design made, then stone it up ourselves! what do you think????
thanks, alex
x
By xxkirstyxxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Apr 17, 2007 04:29 AM
Hi there, I'm thinking about starting to make some cossies for the girls at my dance school where I help out teaching. Some prices the designers charge is ridiculous. Whether I'll have time with a boisterous 6 month old is another matter!

What I wanted to ask was if I ever manage to progress to stoning, what's the best way to go about it? Do you stone the seperate bits before sewing them together? Or is the stoning the last thing to do? I ask because you see professional suits stoned and they are all in perfect straight lines. How would you do this if the suit is already stitched up, you'd be stoning round curves right, like sleeves? Or I am just sleep deprived! Any advice is welcome.

Kirsty x
great advice!
By BaRbIeWaNts2BmE
On Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:48 AM
Removed by calypso (11968) on 2007-04-24 23:29:11 you are typing in netspeak. this is not permitted anywhere at dance.net; comments containing netspeak or deliberately misspelled words will be removed and deducted from your post count.
hi omg dis is a gr8 post i was jus lookin 4 a post lyk dis nd al the advice i needed to start making my own cozzies is here! i cant wait ta give it a go, nd i'll lets yas no !!
tankz xoxox
good luck have ago.x
By ebsam1Premium member
On Tue Apr 24, 2007 05:57 PM
my friend makes her daughters by cutting round her old cozzies,she does a brill job so have ago you might suprise yourself.goodluck angie.x
By jaydy
On Fri Apr 27, 2007 05:06 PM
Hello i'm well on my way to making my 1st dancing costume and, if i must say so myself, is looking pretty good!! :) i'm now wanting to stone it so i was just wondering if anyone knew the cheapest place to buy rhinestones?
thank you x x x
By blonde_redhead1
On Sun Apr 29, 2007 01:13 AM
ive a couple questions im hoping you can help with....someone ...please!
I do sew usually, (though u wont believe me when u read this!) and have a normal machine, not an overlocker. Now im reading these posts and when theres not an overlocker, you are mainly suggesting use zig zag. I get the method there ie zig zag will stretch, but where does the straight seam come from, if you know what i mean? Ive looked at cossies and realise the pant bit in trousers can be zigged on, but im just baffed....do i do a straight seam on the leg seams/arm seams and zig the raw edges as u would with a normal fabric or am i meant to do the main seam in a zig zag, and if so is it a deap one with close stitches or more spread out. I would love any help if you can understand this.
many many thanks
karen
By mandajane
On Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:57 PM
hi,
when sewing costumes i would advise that you zig zag all the seams-straight stich will just split at first chance.I use a small length stitch with not too wide a zig zag,this gives strength and is still flexible with the fabric.

And as for where to get rhinestones(another [post)-i find 247 dancewear,or trim-it in blackpool very good.

hope ive helped.
xx mnady
By blonde_redhead1
On Tue May 01, 2007 10:34 AM
great, thanks for the help. I understand about the type of needle, is there a special stretchy thread? or just by doing the correct stitch will this 'give' enough?

thanks again

karen
By mandajane
On Sun May 06, 2007 11:20 PM
Hi again,just your usual thread is fine,as its the zig zag stitch that has the give when worn.
xx mandy
ps show us a picture of the finished article,its soooo good to see talented mums work!!.x
By blonde_redhead1
On Mon May 07, 2007 02:01 AM
mandy, thanks for your help......feeling like giving up at the moment! argh! so frustrating.
im fine with shorts and pants, got them ones sorted and so simple.
Im struggling with tops now. what one of my daughters wants is kind of a bikini top style, but with some lacing at the back...i can do the lacing, strips of lycra and pull....they r fun!
im thinking i need a double layer for the top and then do i stitch wrong sides together with a zig and then turn right way out and do another seam to finish.....messy this way. Or would it be easier to bind the edges with a contrast colour...we are going for 2 colours on the cossie. Looking at janine cossies we have borrowed, they seem to be 2 thick with a straight stitch to eadge and strengthen seam, but im not meant to do this as it would reduce the stretch. Actually, as im waffling on here, i think ive decided i need to bind the edges....dont i???

i wouldnt hold out much hope of me posting a finished piccy....think the baby dolls will be wearing my creations! lol

thanks

karen xx
re: cozzies
By princess_jodiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 07, 2007 06:57 AM
HIya

What I do for tops is to place the 2 pieces wrong side together and then lay the contrast strip along the edge with the right sides together. This is then either zig-zaged or overlocked about 3/8" from the edge. You then turn the contrast to the back and stitch it down on the right side (top stitching) using a large zig-zag or if your machine has it the zig-zag that is made up of small straight stitches ( don't know what it is called LOL)

If the edge needs to be pulled in a bit, like an arm hole, you can stretch the contrast as you stitch it or place narrow elastic under the contrast on the back before you do the top stitching.

Hope this all makes sense as it is difficult to describe in words

If you need any more help just keep posting and someone will have the answers. Don't give up, I'm sure you'll get there and you'll love it when you can say 'I made it'

Janet
By blonde_redhead1
On Mon May 07, 2007 09:46 AM
that makes perfect sense....just need to let the machine do the talking now!!

thanks

karen xx
rock and roll costumes
By mann55
On Mon May 07, 2007 12:27 PM
hi all lockin for some help my daughter and her partner are asking for new cossys so i have said i will make them , but cant find a pattern for the dresses every1 is wearing now can any1 help with wher i can find one
Thanks
By EllisandSulasmumPremium member
On Mon May 07, 2007 02:36 PM
This is a great thread! Sula's just not long started, so didn't know about the cozzies until she was hooked on her dancing and it was too late!! I really like the tutu type cozzies, and wondered whether I could get her a ballet tutu and put legs on it and jazz it up with stoning/headpiece, or would that not be 'disco' enough?
By lindylou1
On Fri May 11, 2007 02:30 PM
Hi Good for you. I wish I had the gutts to have a go. My daughter is hoping to loose her last life in doubles to become an inter, but the costumes are so expensive.
making costumes
By Maya03
On Sat May 26, 2007 10:10 AM
I am also just starting to try making costumes for my daughter. I managed to design and cut out the halterneck top for my daughter, Maya but as i had got frustrated with my sewing machine i ended up taking it into my local stitch shop who only charged me £4 to put it together. I bought her shorts from a dancewear shop and they only cost £5. I am going to try to sew it myself next time. I still found this was cheaper than buying from her dance school.
Sam
stones
By THELADY
On Sat May 26, 2007 05:08 PM
hi every one ive realy enjoyed reading all your tips and i would just like to say i stone lots of things not just costumes and i found streamers to be the best and cheapest and pat the lady that owns it is very help full and they dont just sell stones hope this is of some help to you and happy sewing xxx
Page:
Page 7 of 25: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 21 22 23 24 25

ReplySendWatch