Forum: Disco / Disco - Parents Only

Page:
Page 8 of 25: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 21 22 23 24 25
making costumes
By laurensmum
On Mon May 28, 2007 04:25 PM
I have been wanting to do this for ages but just didn't know where to start. After reading some of the comments I was suprised at the number of Mums in the same position as myself. My daughter is only just started dancing and is only 4 and I definately don't fancy paying lots of money to have a suit designed so I have decided I am gonna have a go at it but where do I start?

I was thinking I would like to start with a plain catsuit and possibly add some stones etc, but where do I get a skin tight catsuit for a 4 year old? I don't know any names of shops or suppliers, anyone any ideas.

Maybe Mya Designs could give me a few tips!!!
re: making costumes?
By coco9member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed May 30, 2007 11:52 AM
im gutted ive tried and tried to make my daughter a solo suit and i just cant do it help!!!!
By bigmommacrew1
On Sat Jun 02, 2007 03:01 PM
hello I have just started making my daughter a costume. I did the same as some of the other mum I used another costume for a pattern and I have been buying cheaper costume that I can alter. I hand sewn everything as I am very worried that I would damage the fabric with a sewing machine as I do not know how to use one. good advice from other mum thank you
tamara
By quickdancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jun 07, 2007 08:03 AM
i'm a costume designer, and i would be more than happy to talk you through your costume. you can e-mail me or msn at mesh.magic\'hotmail.co.uk
By stepmum
On Tue Jun 19, 2007 01:48 PM
Hi Ladies My MIL is going to try and assist with costumes for us but has been asking for advice on the best needles to use and what stitch!
she is starting easy and going to take up some trousres but has had a few unsuccesful attempts! any idea welcome!
she has an over locker machine and a new one that can be used for lycra on her first attempts the material kept gathring under the machine!
any idea or info appreciated
Lisa
By DeeDeesPremium member
On Mon Jun 25, 2007 02:09 PM
Im asking my Disco friends for help

I need to make a funky short tutu, similar to the ones seen here.
www.foxydancewear.co.uk
like minimezzos and Erin's pink one.

thanks
x daph x
By animalanakitty
On Mon Jul 09, 2007 05:40 AM
Well... I have sat here and read most of the comments and now I am going to get the bullet point needle, take a deep breath and then I am going to see what I can come up with. I made a couple of wedding dress years ago so now will try a starter cozzie for my daughter. Wish me luck.
By animalanakitty
On Mon Jul 09, 2007 05:41 AM
Well... I have sat here and read most of the comments and now I am going to get the bullet point needle, take a deep breath and then I am going to see what I can come up with. I made a couple of wedding dress years ago so now will try a starter cozzie for my daughter. Wish me luck.
By THELADY
On Sun Jul 22, 2007 05:14 PM
hi was just wondering if any one knows the e mail address for trim it in blackpool id be most greatfull thanks tracey
By amelia5Premium member
On Mon Jul 23, 2007 06:03 AM
Hey, I would like to say that all the mums that are making their childrens costumes are really brave and i envy you all cause i wish i could sew let alone make a whole costume, LOL. I couldn't imagine how much i would save.
I would like to say good luck to all the mums starting to make their children costumes!!

Leigh xxx
By amelia5Premium member
On Mon Jul 23, 2007 06:17 AM
Hey, i would like to say that all the mums that are making or thinking of making their children costumes are brave!!! I wish i was brave enough to make my daughters costumes, than again i wish i was brave enough to attempt to sew let alone making a whole costume, LOL!! I'm envy of you all, can't imagine how much money i would save.
Good luck to all those making their own costumes for their kids, i'm sure they will be fantastic!

Leigh xxx
By jorgiPremium member
On Tue Jul 24, 2007 05:08 AM
Hi, your first costume shouldnt be too complicated so start with a simple design and add lots to it, you will make mistakes at first but you will learn by them, GOOD LUCK with your first one Im sure it will be a success.
jorgi
By abbie06
On Wed Jul 25, 2007 08:00 AM
Hi

I am a new member. I recently went to a sewing course. What a waste of time that was!!!! I have found that practising at home with lycra, as people keep telling me is the most difficult material to use, is easier than taking part in a sewing lesson. I have found out the basics, and I mean basics and I am nearly on my way to finishing my first costume. I just need a little imagination with finishing it off.
Good luck to everyone.
Regards
abbie06
By animalanakitty
On Sun Jul 29, 2007 03:27 PM
Well, I now have 3 design ideas drawn... all basically the same in the body, just the finishing details differ. I have looked at loads of cozzies and haven't found any like them (don't want to be accused of copying) so just got to start. I have to 2nd Sept to make as thats her next comp....

Anise x
By shabells
On Sun Jul 29, 2007 03:49 PM
i think its a great idea to make your own costumes these costumes are so expensive and they grow so quick. i am fortunate enough that the school my daughter attends the teachers are good on the sewing machine and have made my daughter a costume that is absolutely fab. you would never know it wasnt made professionaly. it has saved me a fortune.
By laurensmum
On Tue Aug 14, 2007 04:22 AM
Hi all

Doea anyone know what the name of the needle is I need for sewing Lycra also do you need a special sewing machine?

Laurensmum
By Woods
On Wed Aug 15, 2007 07:20 AM
Hi there,

We are trying to make a slow costume now for my little girl. Wanted something a bit different and again not too expensive! We have taken ideas from basic catsuits and leotards and just cut out bits and pieces here and there! Its amazing how simple the patterns are! If you have success please put a picture of it on here!! Lol Jaime x
By yummymummy
On Wed Aug 15, 2007 04:03 PM
I am the same..going to be brave and try make a cossie,I will look upon it as a wee project bordering a hobbie but I will keep the results to myself for a while!ha!
By Miamin
On Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:51 AM
Hi

I make my daughters costume, I use Lycra because it`s not easy to find adder fabrics here in Norway. I also use a lot of stones because thas look so good on the dancefloor. I first try to make one,but now I have make many. I love to do it,and maybe I have to go to England to buy som Lycra,laces....
No I`m making 2 slow costumes, 2 inter solo, 1 dobble pairs, 1 champ/elite solo. It`s fun but only a hobby.
Maybe you can give me some advices. I sometimes Lycra and adder from DSI Group in England, maybe you can tell me adder places to buy.
Hug Anita
By Sallimember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Aug 19, 2007 01:04 PM
Hi I made this costume and I am so proud of it! :)
I'd say to everyone Just have a go it so rewarding when you've done Im a student and can't afford to buy pro costumes. Im now mking myself a slow costume but I always struggle with the pattern! If anyone could help I've lost the one I used for this costume.

How much bigger would you say I should make the pattern so that it isn't too stretched? if that makes sense??

I want to add chiffon as well. Im wondering does anyone know how to make the edge look like waves like on ballroom dresses without an overlocker??

thanks

love salli

xxx
By Sallimember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Aug 19, 2007 01:53 PM
Does anyone have a mannequin they are wanting to sell ?

thanks

love salli
By scotslass
On Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:34 AM
my daughters dance teachers freda and mary made my daughter this solo suit
and out of the fabric left over i made my son a dance top
By blonde_redhead1
On Mon Sep 03, 2007 07:19 AM
Hi,

some lovely costumes on here, very clever mums and dancers.
heres a pic with the beginner pairs i made for my daughter and her partner. was a quick go, and worked ok overall, good practice!
im now working on a slow for my other daughter and wishing she was a starter then she could have it for that and i wouldnt have to stone!!
will post that one when its done!

karen x
By blonde_redhead1
On Mon Sep 03, 2007 07:20 AM
Edited by blonde_redhead1 (178101) on 2007-09-03 07:22:40
ooooooh,

Im so excited,
not about costumes, but the fact that I actually managed to attatch a picture! Yipee!!!!!!!
(easily pleased me!)
and clever me also managed to blank the faces (me and hubby have a bit of a concern with safety on internet)...maybe i can work on gruesome smiles for the next one and big clown cheeks!

karen x
By frielybabes
On Mon Sep 17, 2007 03:17 PM
Hi
We've just finished our third cozzie, I start off by making a pattern out of greaseproof paper. This can be shaped easily and is really cheap. I now use an overlocker which is so much easier and the material stretches lovely. don't be scared to experiment, each costume we've done didn't turn out anything like we first imagined!!!!
Most of all enjoy it and don't get stressed, leave yourself plenty of time to make adjustments to ease the pressure.
Good luck, PM me if you get stuck and need some particular help and I'll do my best to help you x
Sal
Page:
Page 8 of 25: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 21 22 23 24 25

ReplySendWatch