Forum: Sports / Sports Photos - Misc

Page:
Page 1 of 4: 1 2 3 4
How is this possible?
By splitboymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:39 AM

This looks so extreme, how is it possible to become this bendy?

94 Replies to How is this possible?

re: How is this possible?
By dancing_girliemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:08 AM
omygosh.....ouch....
By Rubberbandmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:12 AM
its so beutiful but isn't there a point when someone is just TOO bendy :?
By elegance
On Sun Sep 19, 2004 05:40 AM
uhm..if you are very natural flexible in your back it's because your born without one, two or three (those you see at the circus usually miss three) of those things (don't remember the name) which keeps our back from bending much. She looks like she's missing four!! Seriously..never seen anything THAT extreme before..
By megastardancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Sep 19, 2004 01:43 PM
omg, thats amazing!
she does,nt have a back bone, lol
luv megan
By Narodnaiamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Sep 20, 2004 03:26 AM
Double joints maybe elegance???. Ulzibar Chimed a contortionist from Alegria, Cirque du Soleil, said that contortionist have a normal back that is just flexible
By elegance
On Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:15 AM
yeah, Narodnaia, that's it! Thanks..
Can't believe they have normal backs...seriously..they must be missing at least one, two! 'cause or else all that extreme streching would hurt their back really bad
By marek69
On Mon Sep 20, 2004 03:30 PM
Lots of hard training. Even if you're double jointed (it's even worse not to train then). Many contortionists train for 2-3 hours a day. The training includes warmup, strenght and lots and lots of flexibility, including assisted stretching. There are many contortionists as bendy as this girl.
By fairyfeetmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 21, 2004 03:50 PM
OMG thats unreal!! how can you be soooooo bendy???? lv lala xxx
By AcRoKiD22
On Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:48 AM
I think to be able to do this, you would have to be able to do an intense backsplit and then have really good balance and control. I don't think its possible to be too flexible. People see me doing bendy things like backsplits and they're all like "ew gross" but its not gross, its just natural for some people.
On Thu Sep 23, 2004 03:46 PM
yeah, I have Alegrias dvd and theres an interview with her (Which she did in a back bend) and she answer that it was just a fairy tale
By AIMDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Sep 23, 2004 05:29 PM
owww!!!!!

x0x--*maddie*--x0x
On Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:47 AM
Narodnaia - "it was just a fairy tale" what was just a fairy tale?
By gymjenna
On Sat Sep 25, 2004 05:45 PM
Very impressive!
On Sun Sep 26, 2004 07:36 AM
I dont know exactly how to say it, its about double joints, she said it wasnt true at all
re: How is this possible? (karma: 1)
By snoopyjotmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Sep 26, 2004 08:33 AM
Edited by snoopyjot (83665) on 2004-09-26 08:33:36
Edited by snoopyjot (83665) on 2004-09-26 08:36:38
her ligements and other soft tissues are just naturally more flexible than the average person. with a little training this bend will become natural for her spine, as it is for mine. it doesnt hurt me to bend this much, it just feels totally natural, like my back is designed to do it.

i found this on the web, it may make things a little clearer: (news.bbc.co.uk . . .)

Doctors have scanned the spine of a stage contortionist in a bid to work out why she is so flexible. The results suggest both genes and intensive training enable the unusual body movements of such performers.

The researchers, led by Dr Richard Wiseman, found no evidence of deformed bone structures that might contribute - simply extra-stretchy ligaments.

The findings are being presented to mark the launch of the Dana Centre, a new public venue at London's Science Museum this week.

Contortionist Delia agreed to take part in the study and be scanned performing some impossible-looking manoeuvres whilst inside an MRI scanner. This allowed doctors a clear view of her spine "in extremis" - allowing them to spot any differences between her and the average human.

Dr Wiseman told the BBC: "Whenever people see a contortionist perform the 'impossible' - bending right over backwards, they just want to know what's going on. "We still don't fully understand what's happening, and part of the project is to explore this by looking at the skeleton and the ligaments, trying to work it out."

A spine expert examining the scans said she had been expecting to see some kind of bone deformity which allowed the spine to bend in an unnatural way. Dr Carol Phillips, an orthopaedic research fellow, told the BBC: "She can get her spine into positions that 99% of the population would never be able to do. What was surprising was that her bones were beautifully aligned - there was no problem at all Dr Carol Phillips :
"She has got what we call hypermobility - or 'double jointedness', but she has gone beyond that. "part of her ability is genetic, and part of it is down to training." Everyone has tissues called ligaments which hold joints together. In most people they are slightly elastic - but in people like Delia, genes may mean that they are much stretchier. Dr Phillips said: "What was surprising was that her bones were beautifully aligned - there was no problem at all.

"It was her ligaments that were abnormal."
On Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:36 AM
Oh i understand
By Luvz2twirl
On Sun Sep 26, 2004 02:35 PM
I am not naturally flexible at all so i stretch every day and i can do all kinds of slpits, but i have trouble with my back. Even if i have a ll my vertebrates it is possible for me to be that flexible?
On Fri Oct 01, 2004 01:17 PM
i honestly dont know, ive been thinking about it for days.... i think you probably could as not all rhythmic gymnasts are naturally supple, they train and train to be supple so i suppose you probably could gain the flexibility. removing vertebrae would probably decrease your flexibility (as you would have a smaller length of spine to bend over and the effect of gravity causes the spine to compress so even if you did figure out a way to remove vertebrae it would be pointless as the spine would just compress to a shorter length... basically you would just be shorter, but no more 'bendy'). everyones vertebral column has the potential to bend in all directions, its just soft tissues (ligaments, tendons, muscles etc) that are too tight. these can be stretched! it will just take time and patience! so get stretching!

fi xx
On Fri Oct 01, 2004 01:28 PM
oh yeah, i want to point out to elegance that i can do this and i definately have all my vertebrae!! all contortionists have the correct number of vertebrae. what may be different is the size of the bone in relation to the disc. naturally bendy back people simply have bigger discs than their slightly less bendy friends. contortionists frequently mainly bend over one or two of the joints (i bend over 2, one where she is bending in the photo and one point just below my last rib so i can choose where i bend in my back to make routines more varied). the girl in the picture looks like she is bending over a single joint. most people cannot gain the ability to bend like this but can gain a great deal of flexibility over their entire spine.

fi xx
By AGGfan
On Tue Oct 05, 2004 07:15 AM
Oh my god!!
Shes SOO Flexible. *luv*
By Supergirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Oct 05, 2004 01:54 PM
Hiya
thats amazing, i dont know why but things like this dont freak me out!
that is sooo coool!
lotsa love
Lauren :]
x-x0x0x0x0x0x-x
By splitboymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Oct 23, 2004 05:58 AM
I think I need a trainer!
By totallywicked
On Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:02 AM
i guess she is just born this way. it's kinda scary though. she's a contortionist i suppose. and it doesn't hurt much for them cos it's so natural. i just need HALF of that flexibility and i'll be happy!
On Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:47 AM
splitboy- have a look on msn contortion: groups.msn.com . . .

its a really good community and i found my trainer there, i posted a message and he now trains me over the net. i'm sure there must be loads of trainers who frequent the site! the message board is really active, you rarely have to wait to have your message replied to!

i suggest you leave a messge on the general message board and see who accepts your challenge to become your trainer!!!!

good luck!

fi xx
Page:
Page 1 of 4: 1 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch