Forum: General / Tap / Tap - Advanced

colleges with rhythm tap
By TammyD
On Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:37 PM

Hello, I am a new member and I'm hoping I can get some information. My daughter is a senior in high school and we are searching for a college with a dance major which includes rhythm tap. I am still amazed at how many dance programs do not offer tap. So far her dream school is Barnard in NYC, since it offers rhythm tap classes every semester, has challenging academics, is located in NYC, and because there are many wonderful dance studios nearby where she can take even more tap if she wants. We checked out VCU in Richmond, but then found out that they don't offer tap every semester. We are also looking at UARTS in Philadelphia, Marymount Manhattan in NYC, Eugene Lang in NYC, maybe SUNY Brockport (but she really wants to be in a city). We need to have more than one school just in case she doesn't make it into her dream school. Can anyone help us??

5 Replies to colleges with rhythm tap

re: colleges with rhythm tap (karma: 2)
By Jalietapzmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Sep 19, 2004 09:30 PM
Edited by Jalietapz (42615) on 2004-09-19 21:29:53
well there really aren't many schools with tap classes! but if she is looking at marymount (my cousin is a freshman there! excellent school but it is difficult to be accepted as a dance major) they have peggy spina for tap. the only other school that i know of that offers tap class is mine. we have ted levy and he is here every semester. i go to long island university - brooklyn campus. but if she goes to a school in the city she can always take class at steps or broadway dance or downtown with brenda bufalino, barbara duffy or lynn schwab (my teach! :)) at atdf (american tap dance foundation).
here are the websites for all of those places...

www.brooklyn.liu.edu . . . LIU
stepsnyc.com Steps
bwydance.com Broadway Dance
atdf.org American Tap Dance Foundation

HTH a little! good luck with your search!

Erica
re: colleges with rhythm tap
By TammyD
On Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:21 AM
Hey Erica, thanks for the information. I looked up Long Island U on the web - do you like it there? What are the residence halls like? How long does it take you to get to the dance studios you mentioned (Steps and Broadway Dance Center)? Also, how would you get to the Brooklyn Campus - say if we came in on a bus to NYC? We went to the city last year, taking a bus from Portland, Maine and switching to another bus in Boston, MA. I think we arrived at the Port Authority(?) and grabbed a subway from there. Thanks again, Tammy
SUNY Brockport (karma: 1)
By jksuny
On Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:14 PM
Hey TammyD,
I am a graduate of SUNY Brockport's dance program (2001). I have a BS in Dance. It is a great school and a great dance department, however it is definitely not city living. The campus is about 15 minutes outside of Rochester, NY. When I attended they did offer tap all the time. You will find most college dance programs focus on modern dance. But if your daughter goes to school in NY city there will be plenty of places to tap. Let me know if you want more info about SUNY Brockport?? or go to
brockport.edu
Julia
re: colleges with rhythm tap (karma: 1)
By Jalietapzmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Sep 20, 2004 08:44 PM
hi Tammy!
well i really like our dance program. i am a bs major. we have bs and bfa programs but the focus of the school is modern as with most other schools. we have excellent teachers many are still working professionals. i will give you some websites to check them out. i am not too fond of the dorms here some of the people in charge are difficult to deal with, not all but there's always those two or three people! :) many of the dance majors live off campus and i hope to do the same next semester. living in the dorm really wasn't too bad as a freshman. there really aren't any parties here so i didn't have many distractions plus living here gets you involed with more people and organizations which is great for freshman.
as far as outside class... steps is about a 35 min train ride and broadway dance is around the same. the chelsea studio's are about 15/20 mins and the subway is right across the street from the main entrance of the school.
if you get off the train at port authority you can take a train to times square then one to de kalb which is right across the street from the school.

let me also say that i am from Connecticut and my mom was having a fit that i was going to school in brooklyn. lol :) but it's not really a bad area. i've never heard anything bad happen around the school and i've been here for just about three years.
if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask! you can leave me a message here or email me if you like. Jalietapz@yahoo.com

good luck again!
Erica

some websites of my teachers at school:
ladonnadance.org Donna Uchizono (choreography class)
ritualsproductions.com Nathan Trice (modern technique)this site is in the process of changing so it might not be up yet...
wgy2.home.att.net Colleen Thomas (modern techniqe) this is colleen's fiance's company and the work together.
I don't have a site to post for our ballet teacher but her name is Dana Hash and she was a principal with the ailey company.
and of course we have Ted Levy for tap with special guests Marshall Davis and Ally Bradley.

if you do a search for any of these people you will find lots of info.
re: colleges with rhythm tap
By kabeesters
On Mon Sep 20, 2004 08:49 PM
Thanks for this post! I can't really be of help...but I'm also browsing colleges for good Tap programs...Thanks!

ReplySendWatch