Forum: Disco / Disco

Page:
Page 1 of 61 2 3 4 5 6
Disco
Updated..What is disco/freestyle? (karma: 52)
By PushTheButtonmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2023, member since Fri Jan 09, 2004
On Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:03 PM
Made sticky by MIClogger (28613) on 2004-09-20 20:24:21

Hiya me again tehe! Due to recent posts i recieved some more questions about disco so have updated my current sticky and this is it! hope i havent forgot everything!!

The style of dance known as disco freestyle is an ever growing dance form in mostly Europe. Thousands of people participate in this every week. Dancers (boys and girls) do not need to compete and can just do it for fun or exercise or do exams aswel. Disco, although being a separate style of dance, takes some of its inspiration from Saturday night fever aswel as jazz and ballet. There is no age limit to disco and anyone of all shapes and sizes and walks of life can do it!!

Moves

Dances at competitions are mainly choreographed (individually) before hand but as nerves set in anyone can easily forget their routine during their heat so aslong as you keep smiling and moving, and just restart your routine everything will be fine!

Fast disco incorporates so many different moves, which can be done at fast pace or slow for ‘slow dance’ event. An idea of the moves can be; kicks, very fast spins, leaps, runs, fast arm movements, leg holds to side front and back… just to name a few, with people inventing new moves every week! Flexibility is not necesarly needed although many people like doing common leg holds such as backcatches as they look effective! No flips or tumbling is allowed apart from in champs solo spots(explained further down).This is all done to very fast music (kind of a step down from rave is only way to explain in) so a lot of stamina is needed!

Slow dance it is roughly the same but a lot more ballet like with balances, slower walks and poses, stretches etc basically to show your ability to be graceful! Flexibilty is shown a lot more in this style of dance as it is very controlled and balanced. This is done to slower music such as Christina aguilera ‘the voice within’.

Hip hop/street is just the same as normal hip hop as you would know it!

Rock n roll is done with a partner and is still the old style rock n roll as you have seen in films or shows!

Showdance is majorly about personality and acting. Showdance could be done to a show song from maybe Chigaco or Cats or something where you are acting out the song. Of course dance is still the major part but you certainly cant be shy for this style! This however is not at every competition-just the bigger comps!

Competitions

There are competitions almost every Sunday all over the UK and Ireland (also Norway and south Africa) aswel as weekend comps such as Brean and Big yearly championships such as Disco Kid which people travel miles and miles for. Competitions are held in large halls or sports halls as a large floor is needed aswel as seating round the outside!
At a competition you can have many sections of dance such as; solo, pairs (with a partner), trios (with 2 others) teams and slow dance. In a competition there are different levels and age groups-under6, under8, under10 and so on. There are 4 levels.. beginner, starter, intermediate and championship! Everyone usually starts in beginner and for each comp you can gain a certain amount of points (also called losing lives) for coming 1st, 2nd etc and you need so many points to move a level! At a competitons 1st-7th(ish) are placed and rewarded with a trophy/medal depending on the size of the competition. Some bigger competitions also awar sashs and flowers to the 1st place winner.
At a competition you dance anti clockwise round the dance floor (you have to constantly be moving) with the judges(who are usually dance teachers from either the area or for national competitons can be form anywhere) standing around the outside. Usually there are about 10ish dancers on the floor at once depending on their age and size, and different heats take place until they are whittled down to the final 6-8ish usually. For beginner, starters or intermediate this is just treated like any other round but for champs, if they get to the final they do a solo spot which basically is what it says, you alone on the dance floor for a certain time. As much as it is about the moves you do, it is also about your presence. Judges are not going to pick someone who isn’t smiling and being confident. It is all about how you present yourself!

Costumes

As you may have seen on the disco photos page, some of the costumes (sometimes called cozzies-just british slang which means the same thing) are amazing! For a beginner they have to wear a fairly plain outfits, can be one coloured leotard or for example red top and black trousers. For starter it is roughly the same although you can mix colours and patterns but are not allowed any diamante stones at all anywhere on them! For inters and champs anything goes and you can have as many stones as you like (go have a look some are amazing)! Stones are quite an effective way of making a costumes stand out as when the light hits your costumes you sparkle realy well but the more stones you have-the more expensive the outfit! Costumes can also have accessories including arm, wrist and ankle bands, hair pieces etc although this is not required just everyones personal taste to make their costume even better! The prices can range from £100 to £1000 depending on what you want! It is very rare for 2 people to have the same costume as although not everyone has to have a costume designed, there are so many styles of costumes that it is rare to find 2 people with the exact same costume style and colour! Dancers also dance bare foot!
Some people (usually champs) are sponsored by costume designers which means they get there costumes for free and is basically a way of showcasing new designs!
Make up is a big part of the costume aswel. There are no rules for hair or make up that I know of it is all about trying new styles! Most people use fake tan, as this looks better against the costume! Quite a lot of make up is used on the face especially around the eye area (easier to go look at pictures than me try and explain)! Some people do feel at time that for young children this is too much, but it is just dress up.. gets taken off when they go home and the go back to being the cute little 7 year old again!

Lessons

The life of a disco dancer isn’t just about the competition! Throughout the week a dancer will likely have many general classes aswel as stamina classes, stretch classes, private lessons with the dance teacher , all adding up to a lot of hours put in just for that one day of competition! Most dancers usually have exams, shows/displays at same time so all together is a lot of hard work on everyones behalf!! A disco dancer has to be exremly fit to be at the top of their game! This is not required from every dancer, but disco dancers are very motivated and dedicated so always want to perform their best at a competition so have to put in the work from all the classes to get the final result!

Related links

dance.net . . .

Other sticky about the history of disco freestyle!

www.g6yak.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk . . .

This is a link to some slow dance clips. Taping at competitions is not allowed in the UK so there are not many about!

Hope this is finally it!! If anyone else has anything to add then go for it and I hope everyone now knows more about disco freestyle :)

Xx lisa xx

137 Replies to Updated..What is disco/freestyle?

re: Updated..What is disco/freestyle?
By LovelyLauramember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10111, member since Fri Oct 31, 2003
On Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:26 PM
wow, great post, karma for you!!!

maybe it should be a sticky?

luv laura xxx
By cody123 Comments: 940, member since Sun Oct 19, 2003
On Wed Sep 22, 2004 09:30 AM
Hiya cutiegurly
this post is fab explains every thing!
must of took you a long time to type this!
you deserve alot of karma hun!
loads a lv CODY xxxx
By lacey_graham69 Comments: 370, member since Wed Jul 07, 2004
On Wed Sep 22, 2004 02:45 PM
Karma for you!
By Pasdekatmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6900, member since Sat Dec 29, 2001
On Thu Sep 23, 2004 06:35 PM
That helps a little, but there's still alot I don't understand. Hopefully We can get a FAQ type form soon, Do you still have the 50 questions I sent you? I sent the same ones too Fabby, so maybe you could work with her and some other members to put up a question and answer (FAQ) type layout about what disco is.
By groovytwinsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14170, member since Fri Dec 26, 2003
On Sat Sep 25, 2004 07:54 AM
Hi!

dancechamp01 maybe you could send them to me too, i can give you help where you need it :)

and i hope you understand it is very hard to explain x

Patrice

xxXxx
By Pasdekatmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6900, member since Sat Dec 29, 2001
On Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:09 AM
Groovytwins, I tried to PM them to you, but it said you have me blocked so I can't. I think I'll post them in a thread here and everyone who can can answer them. O think that would be helpful for everyone, as they'll get different interpretations on questions and answers, and others can add their own questions if they like.
By Snaqueb Comments: 901, member since Thu Apr 24, 2003
On Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:13 PM
Very cool post, karma for you! I always wondered what disco was, and now I know! The video clips are really great too!
:)
By STEP_UP_TASHmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6962, member since Sat Feb 14, 2004
On Tue Oct 19, 2004 06:19 AM
Great explanation :D
Karma for you :)
By Milly_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4755, member since Fri Dec 12, 2003
On Wed Oct 20, 2004 01:02 PM
hey

brill explaintion!!!
Covered everything that i can think of!!
Karma for you!!

Love Emily

xxx :D :] xxx
By daftdancemum Comments: 17, member since Tue Oct 26, 2004
On Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:33 AM
Brilliant Explaination!!!
By gordongillies Comments: 78, member since Thu Aug 19, 2004
On Thu Nov 04, 2004 03:27 PM
wow! thanx for a great lesson!
By WhiteChocolatemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 123, member since Fri Nov 19, 2004
On Fri Nov 19, 2004 07:19 AM
Hiya Lisa!

This is great!! As an ISTD dancer, I have learnt loads more about ADFP and IDTA style disco! lol!! This is really informative for other dance.net members, especially those who thought disco wasn't a 'real' dance style!

Love and Stuff
Laura xXx
By reelcanadiangirlPremium member Comments: 1125, member since Sat Aug 14, 2004
On Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:23 AM
I'm starting to understand now... I'm from Canada and I don't think disco is very big hear. It sounds like fun tho, thanks for the explaination!
By princessamimember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7413, member since Sun Nov 14, 2004
On Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:34 AM
hi, being a new mum to disco this is totally everything i need to know, thanks for this great info...
elle n ami
By disco_danca_jess Comments: 86, member since Tue Nov 23, 2004
On Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:08 PM
wow!
i have been dancing for years and i never realised it was that complex lol. it sounds really complicated when you see it all writen down like that. by da way does any1 no the web addy for the prodance website?
loads o luv jess xx
By Chouplalamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 6421, member since Sat Oct 18, 2003
On Sun Dec 12, 2004 02:26 AM
hiya

aww fab post! i am gonna show this to my mum
she dosent understand a thing about disco hehe!

isabelle xxx
karma for you and im glad that it has become a sticky!
By LadyEmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 320, member since Fri Jun 11, 2004
On Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:41 PM
awesome- I was completly cluessless on disco (except for the 70's disco) before I read this

xoxo
LadyE
By xxLaurenxxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1345, member since Wed Dec 22, 2004
On Sun Jan 02, 2005 06:37 AM
wow!
thts amazing!
well done!
Lauren xxx
By Tabbymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4988, member since Mon May 17, 2004
On Sun Jan 02, 2005 09:00 AM
great post,
its taught me things i didnt know about disco!
KARMA FOR YOU!

d queen xxx
By I_Love_Justinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3961, member since Sun Nov 30, 2003
On Sun Jan 09, 2005 07:12 PM
yey!
its sooo hard to explain to people wht type u do!
xx
By GrinsPremium member Comments: 3429, member since Sat May 08, 2004
On Sun Jan 16, 2005 02:36 AM
Thank you so much! I've alwasy wanted to know what disco danicng actually was, but this thread explained it perfectly ! :D
By no_oneslookingmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1420, member since Wed Oct 27, 2004
On Mon Jan 24, 2005 05:36 AM
Thanks! This really helped. Now onto the highland boards to figure out what that is...
By glitter_girl2kukmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 363, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Tue Jan 25, 2005 09:01 AM
wow great post
By Elle14 Comments: 404, member since Fri Feb 13, 2004
On Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:26 AM
Great post KARMA! I dance Irish but i'm always interested in other dance types, i'm from the UK but live in France! I can remember desperatly wanting to do disco when i was younger, looks like so much fun!!
Elle X
Page:
Page 1 of 61 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch