hya
this is definatly karma for you !!! :)
maybe this should be a sticky!
ash xxx
re: Updated..What is disco/freestyle?
By Dicso_Babe1 Comments: 89, member since Fri Nov 18, 2005
On Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:11 PM
Hi
iv'e only just started disco dancing again, used to do it when i was youger but sadly left i have now returned and found that everything vertually has changed! I love the styles of costumes now i have still got my old costume but don't think it would go anywere near me anymore! thanks for that post it has really helped me as i am hoping to start going back to comps. my mum also found this information helpful as she does my make-up and hair :P thanks again for all the helpful information
Love Kirstie xXx
xxxx .!
By dancenddazzle Comments: 54, member since Tue Nov 29, 2005
On Fri Dec 09, 2005 02:43 PM
Wow...this is such a great post.!Fair play te ya.!Well done.!XXXLOADZA LOVEXXXX.!
By Riana_to_be Comments: 73, member since Wed Jul 27, 2005
On Mon Dec 12, 2005 09:34 AM
so it's really like jazz?
By Dancinangel2006 Comments: 19, member since Sat Mar 26, 2005
On Mon Dec 26, 2005 02:41 PM
Thats really fun! I have been wondering what disco is since joining...
By chesca Comments: 63, member since Wed Nov 24, 2004
On Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:46 AM
that is a really good explanation! i normally just tell people who ask me that it is like circuit training, with judges as stations and the idea is to dance between them! it is really hard to explain! i feel like carrying a copy of your sticky around!
chesca xx
By xDancing_Divax Comments: 211, member since Sun Nov 06, 2005
On Sat Feb 18, 2006 02:55 PM
Ok i would just like to point out IDTA have to wear shoes it a rule! weather its flippin trainers or dance sneakers they have to be worn.
how? (karma: 1)
By Vikz123 Comments: 238, member since Fri Dec 16, 2005
On Thu Mar 09, 2006 09:05 AM
how long did that post take ya or are ya a fast typer?????

Vicky at step n style dance school

dancinghorses999@hotmail.com
disco
By rach_no1_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3731, member since Tue Mar 14, 2006
On Fri Mar 17, 2006 01:12 PM
im glad i no more about disco it might help more in the future when i want to become a teacher lov Rachxxx
By rach_no1_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3731, member since Tue Mar 14, 2006
On Mon Apr 10, 2006 02:16 PM
wow great points its really helped me understand disco n freestyle better love Rachel x
disco is fun
By BillSoto Comments: 25, member since Sun Mar 26, 2006
On Wed Apr 12, 2006 07:48 AM
is freestyle even that there are set steps. suing side to side
By AnNa06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 201, member since Tue Mar 14, 2006
On Sat Apr 22, 2006 03:23 PM
wowzers

that must of taken you ages :P
hehe karma for you

lots of love anna xxxx
On Mon May 01, 2006 05:15 AM
wow great post karma for you it must of took you ages to write that love Rachel xxx
By Danseusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2375, member since Wed Sep 08, 2004
On Fri May 19, 2006 03:39 AM
A question- if "Hip hop/street is just the same as normal hip hop", then why is it actually called "Disco- Street"? Isn't it the same thing as hip hop? Or are the styles slightly different?
Disco/Freestyle
By ellaboo Comments: 133, member since Tue Jan 24, 2006
On Fri May 19, 2006 05:30 AM
Well done for writing all of that! It's very clear to understand and very helpful. Thankyou.
On Fri May 19, 2006 02:53 PM
wow a lot of advice there must of took you ages to write lol love Rachel xxxx
By x_GIDGET_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 960, member since Mon Dec 06, 2004
On Mon Jun 26, 2006 06:07 AM
Edited by x_GIDGET_x (115351) on 2006-06-26 06:09:54
I thought I should do some research on disco dance after I saw some photos and said that it looked a little 'nasty' and I got in trouble for it... and your post has helped me so much! Showbizz_Kate sent me links to some videos and I watched them and WOW, disco is pretty impressive.

Thanks for helping me out with disco stuff
By jaxxs Comments: 20, member since Sun Nov 13, 2005
On Fri Jul 07, 2006 04:50 AM
Thanks for all th info! It maust have taken you ages!

I'm just thinking about starting comp work so your info was really helpful - THANKS!

Jaxxs
By xkt_bbzxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 183, member since Thu Jun 23, 2005
On Mon Jul 10, 2006 05:41 AM
this must have taken oyu ages to write lol !! wow ye i agree and a lot of karma for u !!!!!

xxxx

kt -x
disco
By chantelle3member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 184, member since Mon Jul 24, 2006
On Tue Aug 01, 2006 03:05 PM
thankz that helped a lot cause i didnt really understand at first but now its clear.
By balletbabe4eva Comments: 1169, member since Fri May 11, 2007
On Fri Jun 15, 2007 06:43 PM
me too i had nooo idea what it was sounds like fun
awesome costumes or cozzies as u call them
By xMaireadx Comments: 80, member since Tue Nov 14, 2006
On Thu Jul 05, 2007 06:31 AM
hey , well done thats a great post i really enjoyed reading it , well done thanks xxxxxx
By weediscodancamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 146, member since Sun May 13, 2007
On Sun Jul 08, 2007 09:01 AM
Hey great post it really helped me alot since i have only just started disco dancing so thanks so much for posting it
By delbert123 Comments: 24, member since Thu Dec 28, 2006
On Mon Jul 16, 2007 02:17 PM
well it is a long story but here is some of it
Moves

Dances at competitions are mainly choreographed (individually) before hand but as nerves set in anyone can easily forget their routine during their heat so aslong as you keep smiling and moving, and just restart your routine everything will be fine!

Fast disco incorporates so many different moves, which can be done at fast pace or slow for ‘slow dance’ event. An idea of the moves can be; kicks, very fast spins, leaps, runs, fast arm movements, leg holds to side front and back… just to name a few, with people inventing new moves every week! Flexibility is not necesarly needed although many people like doing common leg holds such as backcatches as they look effective! No flips or tumbling is allowed apart from in champs solo spots(explained further down).This is all done to very fast music (kind of a step down from rave is only way to explain in) so a lot of stamina is needed!

Slow dance it is roughly the same but a lot more ballet like with balances, slower walks and poses, stretches etc basically to show your ability to be graceful! Flexibilty is shown a lot more in this style of dance as it is very controlled and balanced. This is done to slower music such as Christina aguilera ‘the voice within’.

Hip hop/street is just the same as normal hip hop as you would know it!

Rock n roll is done with a partner and is still the old style rock n roll as you have seen in films or shows!

Showdance is majorly about personality and acting. Showdance could be done to a show song from maybe Chigaco or Cats or something where you are acting out the song. Of course dance is still the major part but you certainly cant be shy for this style! This however is not at every competition-just the bigger comps!

Competitions

There are competitions almost every Sunday all over the UK and Ireland (also Norway and south Africa) aswel as weekend comps such as Brean and Big yearly championships such as Disco Kid which people travel miles and miles for. Competitions are held in large halls or sports halls as a large floor is needed aswel as seating round the outside!
At a competition you can have many sections of dance such as; solo, pairs (with a partner), trios (with 2 others) teams and slow dance. In a competition there are different levels and age groups-under6, under8, under10 and so on. There are 4 levels.. beginner, starter, intermediate and championship! Everyone usually starts in beginner and for each comp you can gain a certain amount of points (also called losing lives) for coming 1st, 2nd etc and you need so many points to move a level! At a competitons 1st-7th(ish) are placed and rewarded with a trophy/medal depending on the size of the competition. Some bigger competitions also awar sashs and flowers to the 1st place winner.
At a competition you dance anti clockwise round the dance floor (you have to constantly be moving) with the judges(who are usually dance teachers from either the area or for national competitons can be form anywhere) standing around the outside. Usually there are about 10ish dancers on the floor at once depending on their age and size, and different heats take place until they are whittled down to the final 6-8ish usually. For beginner, starters or intermediate this is just treated like any other round but for champs, if they get to the final they do a solo spot which basically is what it says, you alone on the dance floor for a certain time. As much as it is about the moves you do, it is also about your presence. Judges are not going to pick someone who isn’t smiling and being confident. It is all about how you present yourself!

Costumes

As you may have seen on the disco photos page, some of the costumes (sometimes called cozzies-just british slang which means the same thing) are amazing! For a beginner they have to wear a fairly plain outfits, can be one coloured leotard or for example red top and black trousers. For starter it is roughly the same although you can mix colours and patterns but are not allowed any diamante stones at all anywhere on them! For inters and champs anything goes and you can have as many stones as you like (go have a look some are amazing)! Stones are quite an effective way of making a costumes stand out as when the light hits your costumes you sparkle realy well but the more stones you have-the more expensive the outfit! Costumes can also have accessories including arm, wrist and ankle bands, hair pieces etc although this is not required just everyones personal taste to make their costume even better! The prices can range from £100 to £1000 depending on what you want! It is very rare for 2 people to have the same costume as although not everyone has to have a costume designed, there are so many styles of costumes that it is rare to find 2 people with the exact same costume style and colour! Dancers also dance bare foot!
Some people (usually champs) are sponsored by costume designers which means they get there costumes for free and is basically a way of showcasing new designs!
Make up is a big part of the costume aswel. There are no rules for hair or make up that I know of it is all about trying new styles! Most people use fake tan, as this looks better against the costume! Quite a lot of make up is used on the face especially around the eye area (easier to go look at pictures than me try and explain)! Some people do feel at time that for young children this is too much, but it is just dress up.. gets taken off when they go home and the go back to being the cute little 7 year old again!

Lessons

The life of a disco dancer isn’t just about the competition! Throughout the week a dancer will likely have many general classes aswel as stamina classes, stretch classes, private lessons with the dance teacher , all adding up to a lot of hours put in just for that one day of competition! Most dancers usually have exams, shows/displays at same time so all together is a lot of hard work on everyones behalf!! A disco dancer has to be exremly fit to be at the top of their game! This is not required from every dancer, but disco dancers are very motivated and dedicated so always want to perform their best at a competition so have to put in the work from all the classes to get the final result!
By shanialeigh Comments: 4, member since Sat Aug 04, 2007
On Sun Aug 05, 2007 05:36 AM
u certainly know what your on with,ive been taking my little girl for a yr now and doing comps 4 bout 6 months and i feel so lost at times,its getting easier but wish id read this 6 months ago,things look much clearer thanks lol.mel x
Page:
Page 3 of 61 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch