Forum: Arts / Fiction

Fiction
Things To Consider Before Posting (karma: 8)
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Thu Sep 23, 2004 02:09 PM
Made sticky by MIClogger (28613) on 2004-09-23 14:12:11
Made unsticky by MIClogger (28613) on 2005-04-11 19:02:35
Made sticky by MIClogger (28613) on 2005-04-11 19:04:01

(I must give credit to MIClogger and dancer_dude04. I'm incorporating some of their ideas here.)

Are you ready for all kinds of comments? Are you ready to hear that your work isn't the best in the world? You're going to get the full spectrum on here. If you aren't prepared to take any kind of criticism, I don't suggest you post here. It even says at the top of the forum that this is a place for your work to be critiqued. That doesn't mean a list of responses saying "Gr8 story...keep writing!". It means you will get suggestions on how to make your work better.

Don't take it personally. When you get critiqued, and I promise you will, don't take it to heart. None of us are trying to hurt your feelings. A lot of people don't seem to understand that. We are using our experience to help you. I'm a Creative Writing major at one of the top programs in the country. I feel like I should use what I have learned to aid others. No matter what you do it for, you should try to be the best writer you can be. Not everyone on here is going to be the next JK Rowling or Dan Brown. If you get upset every time someone says something contrary about your work, you'll never get anywhere.

Don't use netspeak. First of all, it's against the rules. Secondly, it's just annoying. If I open up a thread and see it written in netspeak, I'm not going to read it. It's not worth it to sit there and decipher what you wrote. If you want it be read and reviewed, but it in proper English. If English isn't your first language, note that. People will cut you some slack if it isn't your native language. In the same vein, capitalize. It's not that hard. It doesn't take any more time to capitalize than it does to write it in all lower case.

You have the right to ask that we not review your work. It's a little counterproductive, but if you wish you can specify if you don't want your work reviewed completely. If you only want help with content, make a note. Dancer_dude and I seem to be the two most active constructive critics. We're also both in college. Most of the time, if we don't feel obligated to give a full review, we won't. On the flip side, if you want a technical review, that's your choice. Unless otherwise noted, I will continue to give complete reviews and I'm sure he will, too.

Feel free to critcize our work. I'm always open to constructive criticism. I've requested it sometimes. I like to be able to see what I'm doing wrong so I can do it right next time. Everyone on this site is free to critique my work as they see fit. It's only fair.

Happy writing!

13 Replies to Things To Consider Before Posting

re: Things To Consider Before Posting (karma: 1)
By DarkIvymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 6601, member since Mon Feb 04, 2002
On Thu Sep 23, 2004 04:24 PM
If only they'd post something like this on fanfiction.net...
re: Things To Consider Before Posting
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Thu Sep 23, 2004 06:06 PM
One can hope, right?
By VelvetRagamuffinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6013, member since Wed Nov 19, 2003
On Thu Sep 23, 2004 06:12 PM
Absolutely! Everyone, what she says is the truth! We are both college students, she is a creative writing major, and I have a lot of experience with writing, so we know what we are talking about, don't take it personally. ballet_babe, you made my day :D!
By VelvetRagamuffinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6013, member since Wed Nov 19, 2003
On Thu Sep 23, 2004 06:53 PM
Something else too: although ballet_babe and I always visit the fiction board, I sometimes take a hiatus from dance.net, so be sure and PM both of us whenever you post something new.
On Thu Sep 23, 2004 06:57 PM
I'm pretty much always around, but don't always have time to give things a good look. PM's of all varieties are welcome.
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7113, member since Fri Aug 02, 2002
On Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:52 AM
Edited by dipsy_dancer (34789) on 2004-10-04 00:50:40
I love you both so much!

BalletBabe17 has critiqued one of my things, and dancer_dude04 hasn't critiqued any, but I think that's just because I haven't posted anything in ages, and neither of you really came on the Fiction board back when I used to post stuff all the time. But I still love reading what you have to say about other peoples' writing, and I always take it into account for my own writing.

Even though you get people going on about how they dont care about grammar, you are both really appreciated by those who want to improve :)

And everyone else, listen to them, because they know what they're talking about!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon Apr 11, 2005 07:19 PM
Hopefully, all that worked...

t
On Mon Apr 11, 2005 07:33 PM
I was amused by the multiple action reports that I recieved :)
On Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:43 PM
By the way, dancer_dude04 is now me.
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8458, member since Tue Sep 02, 2003
On Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:23 AM
That's very informative, and I have seen some of those mistakes made on this board. Lots of people get carried away and end up locking their thread because they can't handle the criticism. It bugs me. Hopefully, this is a refresher for them!

*karma*

~pb12
On Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:46 PM
Right, PinUpGirl is BalletBabe17's new name in case anyone missed that.
By pixiedancer97 Comments: 933, member since Sat Jan 17, 2004
On Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:17 AM
Well stated. :)
By SilverInsanity Comments: 334, member since Sun Dec 23, 2007
On Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:44 PM
DarkIvy wrote:

If only they'd post something like this on fanfiction.net...

In my dreams. :D

ReplySendWatch