Forum: General

Page:
Page 2 of 4: 1 2 3 4
Thank you
By brikini21
On Wed Jun 22, 2005 01:21 PM
Oh...thank you so much. I am currently only using the Gail Grant technical manual and I would love to get some new material. Barnes and Noble has a really sparse selection.
re: TEACHING BALLET? Books to build your library.
By danceon4Premium member
On Wed Jul 13, 2005 08:45 PM
Edited by danceon4 (135900) on 2005-07-13 20:43:26
This is my "ballet bible" it is the best ballet reference guide I hae found. It is even better than my college ballet books (I was a dance major).

Classical Ballet Technique (Paperback)
by Gretchen Ward Warren

Comment #3772869 deleted

By tussis03
On Fri Jul 22, 2005 09:20 PM
thans so much for sharing your book list. i must get more education books in the studio!!
TEACHING BALLET? Books to build your library.
By ladybug3782
On Wed Jul 27, 2005 09:32 AM
Thank you so much! I am working on building a library at my studio and this helps me so much with choosing books. I always like to here reviews first on book or cd's I have not read or listened too. All of you are a big help. Thanks!!!!!
By momdancer
On Mon Aug 15, 2005 04:32 PM
Thanks these will come in very handy. Where is the best place to order from in your experience?
momdancer

Comment #3911810 deleted

By danceon4Premium member
On Tue Aug 16, 2005 09:21 AM
"Classical Ballet Tech.." Can be ordered from Amazon.com, they actually have a wide selection of dance books. I hope this helps.
By jgari
On Tue Aug 16, 2005 05:23 PM
I believe that a good reference book for ballet is one that puts the moves in ordinary terms. It makes it so much easier when I am frantically looking for something different for class! "100 Classes in Classical Ballet" by Vera S. Kostrovitskaya has come in handy time after time. It's a progression thru 8 years of ballet lessons. Hope that helps!
By kerrydan
On Wed Aug 17, 2005 05:56 PM
so true, .......to have some reviews of other cds would be great......getting ready to pick out christmas music for christmas program and so burned out.... would love some new ideas!! Need pre thur grade. Teen and adult are lot more available. Just tired of same old same old....
Christmas songs...
By jgari
On Fri Aug 19, 2005 07:19 PM
I was tired of the same old songs too. The 'Trans Siberian Orchestra' rescued me. Also, 'Manheim Steamroller' has good Christmas Music. The song arrangements are really different plus there are quite a few CD's available. Good Luck!
christmas cds
By kerrydan
On Sat Aug 20, 2005 09:05 AM
thanks.... I have used them, they are good.... need some cutsey songs for kids..( used some Kidz Bps last year)...guess I am getting off track posting this in books to build libray. Sorry.thanks again for reply.
By Dancer0943
On Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:25 PM
Thanks for the info. I use the computer for most of my research. I also have the CD Ballet is fun and it is great to refer to.
some places to order books from
By missB
On Sun Aug 28, 2005 08:24 AM
Hi
You can order some ballet books via the Dancing Times magazine - they have an excellent mail order service with a large selection of media - books, vidoes, cd's, dvd's. What's nice is the description provided with each item - you're not ordering blind! www.dancing-times.co.uk

My favourite book is also Dance Technique and Injury Prevention. I believe there are 2 authors - can't remember no 2, but the first author is Justin Howes (i think ! mine is also in a box somewhere after a move!) This book is a MUST for all aspiring and existing ballet teachers.

Also try www.dancebooks.co.uk - GREAT site for ordering all dance related items.
By jatona
On Mon Sep 12, 2005 07:53 PM
What an awesome list. I am new to the dance.net family and really appreciate all the positive messages I have read. I recently opened my own Performing Arts School and I want to stay pluged into the world of the arts. Thank you for sharing this list.
Ballet Books
By dancingang
On Tue Sep 13, 2005 08:41 AM
Great list: I also use 100 lessons in Classical Ballet. It works really well when you don't have a class prepared:) It gives you Barre, Center, etc. Mostly Vagonava method
By dancebk
On Tue Sep 13, 2005 01:38 PM
Thank you soo much, the classical ballet technique was not only useful to me, but many of our other teachers.
By adridancer
On Tue Sep 13, 2005 06:10 PM
These are all great suggestions, but I'm really surprised no one has mentioned 'Ballet Basics' or 'Ballet: Beyond the Basics' both by Sandra Noll Hammond. Although they are typically used more as textbooks, they do a great job of illustrating the movements and explaining the "whys" and "hows." For my younger students, I really like:
1. 'First Lessons in Ballet' by Lise Friedman - It's short and doesn't cover a ton of movements (only about 25), but the photographs are very clear.
2. 'The Illustrated Book of Ballet Stories' by Barbara Newman - It tells the stories of Coppelia, Swan Lake, Giselle, Sleeping Beauty, and the Nutcracker and has beautiful illustrations and photographs.
3. 'The Young Dancer' by Darcey Bussell - great photos, informative and to the point - good for a beginner.

adridancer

*the only sin is mediocrity*~MG
By IdrathrbdancinPremium member
On Wed Sep 21, 2005 04:46 PM
OHHHH I love you! This is perfect. Thanks so much!!!!
Thank You
By jesuisconfuse
On Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:48 PM
Thank you sooo much for such a great list of books. I will definately be adding to my library.
It is so nice to GOOD books right at my finger tips.

Thanks again!
By adagio
On Sat Oct 08, 2005 06:16 AM
hi,
do you know any books on adagio either classical or acrobatic techniques.
many thanks,
Chris
By forkfairy
On Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:02 AM
for good creative movement games for 3-6 yr. olds - i use:

First Steps in Teaching Creative Dance to children (i use the 2nd and 3rd edition)

Dance technique for children

both of these books are by mary joyce
By drouindancectr
On Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:09 PM
I LOVE the Gail Grant dictionary, and Tapworks by Beverly Fletcher. Jazz Dance Class by Gus Giordano is also helpful when trying to get new ideas and incorporate them into class :)
hey
By nissy2
On Sat Dec 10, 2005 06:38 AM
thanks 4 sendin these infos i really appreciate your tip but i live in nigeria and dont have a place to get them cud you please tell me where it can be gotten and how 2 get videos too
By mansurballet
On Tue Dec 13, 2005 05:27 PM
Kostrovitskaya's 100 Lessons and Vaganova's books are certainly the best. Also, for those who are interested to learn where and how "it all began", highly recommended is Jean-George Noverre's "Letters on Dancing and Ballets". Noverre is generally credited to be the founder of modern ballet as we know it. The book dates from the 1760s and can be a tough read at times but definitely worth it.

www.amazon.com . . .

There are also the outstanding books by Tarasov on male technique and Serebryannikov on pas-de-deux, but I have been unable to locate them in the US. If anyone knows where one can purchase these please email me.
Page:
Page 2 of 4: 1 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch