Forum: General

Page:
Page 4 of 4: 1 2 3 4
re: TEACHING BALLET? Books to build your library.
By cummingse
On Thu Dec 27, 2012 03:58 AM
This is awesome, thanks! I have also recently found the oxford dictionary of dance to be extremely useful!
By SarahRodak
On Tue Mar 19, 2013 05:44 PM
For those Cecchetti method dancers:
"Ryman's Dictionary of Classical Ballet Terms: Cecchetti"

This dictionary is a wonderful reference for Cecchetti trained dancers/teachers, and for the general ballet population as it also includes the Vagonova and Bournonville schools.
By SharonDet
On Wed Mar 20, 2013 05:19 AM
"Harnessing the Wind" By Jan Erkert is outstanding! I'm a ballet teacher but I find this book about teaching modern dance to be an incredible resource.

www.amazon.com . . .

The 2nd Book in John White's series (the first was mentioned above) "Advanced Principles in Teaching Classical Ballet" is wonderful.

www.amazon.com . . .

Lots of wonderful books listed in this thread - great sticky post!
By theballetsource
On Wed Jul 08, 2015 09:03 AM
Since we're talking specifically about ballet books that we've enjoyed, I have to say that Ruth Brinkerhoff's "Ballet Arts for Young Children" has helped me so much over the past 7 years of teaching. They aren't just classroom choreography, she also had a degree in Childhood Education, so she filled her books with some great information about the different age groups and how they develop. It gives you an all-around picture of the kind of student you're teaching as well as what to teach them that's developmentally appropriate. These books have saved me when it comes to teaching young ones! balletcurriculum.com
By ImpactCAA
On Sat Feb 06, 2016 07:59 PM
Wow! Thank you for taking the time to give us such detailed info on a great book list. I am also going to do some online shopping now. We just got some new bookshelves at the studio so I think these will look great there
By MLoucadoux
On Sun Jun 18, 2017 04:05 PM
I also love Ballet and Modern Dance - AU, Susan & Rutter, James (2012)

For tap:
Tap Dance In America: A very short history by Constance Hill is a great tap book!

I also love these tap documentaries:
No Maps on My Taps
About Tap
Gotta Move: Women in Tap

There are also some good dance industry books to mention:

Making it Werk: A Dancer's Guide to the Business of Dance - Loucadoux, Margheritis

and The Business of Show - Adam Cates.

Thanks for all of these other suggestions! I'm excited to expand my library!
Page:
Page 4 of 4: 1 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch