Forum: Disco / Disco

Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3
Disco
Disco FAQ (karma: 11)
By Pasdekatmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6900, member since Sat Dec 29, 2001
On Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:13 AM
Edited by Dancechamp01 (18161) on 2004-09-25 11:24:43
Made sticky by balletgurl (11968) on 2004-09-25 14:39:24

Ok, here's 50 questions I (and others I'm sure) have about disco. I was thinking that the disco members could use this thread to answer them for us, and if any other non-disco members have questions I left out, they can post them here too. I hope this helps! I know it will help me figure out disco better if I get sdome answers to some of these questions. Oh, and I realize a good chunk of them HAVE been answered in various other threads, but this way, all the info will be together, so people won't have to search around or ask qestions that have already been asked.

1.What kind of technique is used in disco?

2.How is disco different from jazz, or isn't it?

3.Is Disco an actual style of dance, or just a type of competition?

4. Why do you call your costumes "cozzies" and how come some people spell if differently like "cossie" or "cozzy?"

5.Do you pronounce it Co-zee (like a tea cozie) or cah-zee?

6. What does it mean to "lose a life" and why do you call it that?

7.Can more than one person have the same costume, like can they be ordered from catalogs, or are they all custom made?

8. Who ae the judges and what qualifies them to judge?

9.How do disco competitions differ from the competitive dance in the united states?

10. How does one go about doing a solo?

11. How are awards given? Are people scored against a point syste, and are multiple first, second, thirds etc. or gold silver bronzes awarded, or is there just one 1rst, second, third place winner?

12. Does everyone get a trophey or award at every competition?

13. What are the rules about costumes and why are they there?

14.Are disco dancers required to take technique classes?

15.Why is a "back catch" so important?

16. What are some other exaples of typical steps (besides "tricks") done in disco? So you do leaps, pirouettes, fouettes, etc.?

17. Is tumbling allowed?

18.Are there any age limits? How young, old do you have to be?

19. Can anyone compete in disco or do you have to audition?

20.Can a dancer compete her first year dancing?

21. What is "pairs", and why do so many people do it?

22. Can teachers be certified by anyone?

23.What is "rock and roll" and why is it called that?

24.What is "Slow" disco? IS it the same as lyrical?

25. Can tap be done in a disco competition? What about ballet?

26. Where are competitions held? Auditoriums? Hotels?

27. Are more than one dance going on at once? How does that work? Is it in a "three ring circus" style or do a whole bunch of dancers just come out and dance to the same song at once?

28. Are the dances choreographed or are they actually truly "freestyl" i.e. improv?

29. Are there rules about hair or make up?

30. What is it I've heard about "arm bands" are you required to wear them?

31. In the US, at competitions one dancer/group performs at a time and is scored, then they recieve their applause and another dancer/group comes on stage to do their thing after the other have left and been scored, how does disco differ?

32. Are there disco conventions?

33. Is "fabby" and the notion of ending lots of words with an "ie" or a "y" strictly a disco trend, or is it just British slang?

34.Do you have to compete to do disco?

35. Why do you call your studios skules, and why do you spell them that way?

36. Wht's the big deal about "stones"?

37.What's the largest number of dancers allowed in a group?

38. What are the different dsico groups I've heard you guys refer to like IDF or something like that?

39.How important is technique in relation to tricks?

40.Are there any "professional" disco dancers?

41. Do the little dancers (areound 4 or so) really have any idea what they're doing or do they just stand out there and look cute?

42. If you have to wear plain costumes when you first start how come I see really little kids with bright sparkly costumes, how could they advance so quickly? Or are the rules diferent for them?

43.About how many disco dancers are there? Under a hundred?Hundreds? Thousands?

44. HAve there been any movies made about Disco?

45.Is body size important?

46. Why do you change costumes so often?

47.Does your costume affect your score? Alot?

48.Why is Dance.net so well known in the disco community?

49. How long do competitions last?

50. What is "show"?

56 Replies to Disco FAQ

re: Disco FAQ
By ballerinaisis Comments: 2122, member since Wed Nov 13, 2002
On Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:49 PM
Thanks for making this. If each disco member just answered one question, then we could get all the answers, and you guys wouldn't have to deal with nearly as many "What is Disco?" posts.

Also, I have a question to add:

Before you do your dance, do you know what song is going to play? Or do they just choose a song and you do your routine to whatever song they play?

Thanks!
re: Disco FAQ (karma: 11)
By Lise3Premium member Comments: 4482, member since Fri Feb 14, 2003
On Sat Sep 25, 2004 01:12 PM
Ok, I'll answer some of them as good as I can.

I've been to one jazz class in my life, so I guess I'm not the best to answer.. It's quite similar, but we dance faster and around in a circle (at competitions) Some moves are like jazz moves, some are not.

Style

4. Why do you call your costumes "cozzies" and how come some people spell if differently like "cossie" or "cozzy?"
I'm not english, but I think it's just a short for costumes.

Again, I'm not english, but I think it must be the first one

We don't call it that in Norway. But in Britain they loos a life when they get 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place at a competition. (If there is enough people in your section)

7.Can more than one person have the same costume, like can they be ordered from catalogs, or are they all custom made?
Custom made

They are teachers, or old teachers normally. They have to take some exams to be qualified. (At least in Norway)

9.How do disco competitions differ from the competitive dance in the united states?
I don't know at all..

Dancing solo? You have your own routine and compete against people your age and level. You start out in round 1, and then qualify for the next rounds, all the way to the final.

11. How are awards given? Are people scored against a point syste, and are multiple first, second, thirds etc. or gold silver bronzes awarded, or is there just one 1rst, second, third place winner?
In normal comps, just 1st ---> all the way down to everyone in the final. Normally 6 people.

No.

Only intermediates and champs wear stoned costumes. Starters wear plain costumes, and beginners plain outfits. Why..?.. Good question.

We don't have that at my school.. I'm not sure if we mean the same thing when we say technique classes though..

I don't think it's so important, but it's a hard move, that we have to practice a lot if we want to be able to do.

16. What are some other exaples of typical steps (besides "tricks") done in disco? So you do leaps, pirouettes, fouettes, etc.?
Pirouettes are one of the basic moves. The other 2 is done more in slowdance. Other moves are kicks, spins (they have a ballett name to, but I don't remeber it..) runs, splits.

17. Is tumbling allowed?
In Norway, we don't allow any at all. I think you can do stuff like that in England, as long as you have one foot or hand on the floor at all times..

No. But the oldest competitor in Norway is turning 25 soon. She's 4 times world champion though..

Anyone who belongs to a school

yes

2 people dance together, and the point is to do the moves as similar as possible, and at the same time. I guess people like to do different things, and get different challenges.

I think so, but I don't know much about this...

Rock and roll is not done at disco comps in Norway, they are done at Swingdancing comps. Maybe that helps.. I don't really know how to explain it, but it's not the same as disco at all.

Slow dance is done to slow music. We do a lot of balletmoves. Another "big" thing is doing moves that shows how flexable you are. It's a very elegant form of disco. I don't really know what lyrical is..

You could probably do well in slow if you're a balletdancer, but no tap.

In Norway we have it at sportshalls and hotels. But any place with a big space to dance on would be good.

27. Are more than one dance going on at once? How does that work? Is it in a "three ring circus" style or do a whole bunch of dancers just come out and dance to the same song at once?
A whole bunch dance to the same song at once. Then the judges mark the ones that they want to move on to the next round.

28. Are the dances choreographed or are they actually truly "freestyl" i.e. improv?
They are choreographed, but every dancer has their own dance, so for all I know, some people may make it up along the way..

In Norway we don't allow those under 10 to wear makeup, but they do in Britain. Nothing for hair as I know...

30. What is it I've heard about "arm bands" are you required to wear them? No. They're just an accessorie (sp??)

31. In the US, at competitions one dancer/group performs at a time and is scored, then they recieve their applause and another dancer/group comes on stage to do their thing after the other have left and been scored, how does disco differ?
In solos, lots of dancer go on at the same time, and the judges have to look to find the best ones. The same goes for slowdance, pairs and trios. Teams and showdancers go one one by one, since they have their own music. The dance is made to that special music.

I know what "convention" means, but I just can't remeber it right now ;)

33. Is "fabby" and the notion of ending lots of words with an "ie" or a "y" strictly a disco trend, or is it just British slang?
I'm not the right person to answer this..

No, you can just do classes if you want.

I would call that netslang. I call it danceschool (directly trancelated ;) )

They reflect the light and makes you stand out more. And they look nice aswell.

I don't think there's a limit..

38. What are the different dsico groups I've heard you guys refer to like IDF or something like that?
We don't have this in Norway. All Norwegians dance under The Norwegian Dance Assosiation (sp?)

I guess it makes you do it better.. Hard question though.

I think you are professional when you are a teacher..

41. Do the little dancers (areound 4 or so) really have any idea what they're doing or do they just stand out there and look cute?
Lol. The little ones at my school do lots of runs ;) And then they remember what they were going to do ;) Some of them actually stop out on the floor and look really confused.

42. If you have to wear plain costumes when you first start how come I see really little kids with bright sparkly costumes, how could they advance so quickly? Or are the rules diferent for them?
In Britain they have a section called under 6, open. So they don't dance at certain level before they are 6. That's why. We don't do this in Norway.

At the biggest competitions in Norway we have about 2000 people competing. Some people don't compete, and not everyone dances at all competitions. Disco is much bigger in Britain though.

Not that I know.. The "best" in Norway is a 1 hour TV show about my friend. (The 4 times world champion)

I don't think so. "bigger" people do well also.

You get tired of it ;) The little ones grow out of theirs. And some, lucky people are sponsored, so they get new ones often.

If you have a costume that makes you stand out, the judges will notice you. It not, you will have to fight more to be seen. And you always look better in cetain colours, if your costume fits you...

I guess it's cause people meet up, and talk.. And then they tell their friends about it..

Depends on how many people who compete and how much "things" that are done (solo, slowdance, pairs...) Usually a day, we also have 2 day comps here. When my school go to England, we go to a competition that goes on from friday to sunday. Dancing the whole day ;)

50. What is "show"?
Entertaining.. We go on the floor alone, or if we do pairs, both go on. We have our own music, and try our best to entertain in lots of different ways. Some do tap, some have funny costumes, some dance to musical songs, some sing.. It's just the imagination that stops you.

Hope it helped :)
By Lise3Premium member Comments: 4482, member since Fri Feb 14, 2003
On Sat Sep 25, 2004 01:14 PM
Ballerinaisis: When we do solo, slowdance, pairs or trios - no.
In teams and showdance, we know that it will be the music we have given the organisers.
By Pasdekatmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6900, member since Sat Dec 29, 2001
On Sat Sep 25, 2004 03:38 PM
Your answers spawned another question, lol.
Since lots of people are on the floor at one, are there only "caertain songs" you're allowed to use, otherwise, what if someone picked a song no one else did, then they'd be by themselves.
By PushTheButtonmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2023, member since Fri Jan 09, 2004
On Sat Sep 25, 2004 03:44 PM
^ no the songs are completely random and chosen by the dj at the competiton! Well apart from team music which had been practised before and the teacher hands the music in! But when we practise at home we can just practise to any song (as long as it has a fast beat) and you have no idea what song will come on until you take the floor!!
re: Disco FAQ (karma: 10)
By groovytwinsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14170, member since Fri Dec 26, 2003
On Sat Sep 25, 2004 04:57 PM
hiya :) i will try and answer them all but im sure my answers will be different from Lise3's as she lives in norway

Runs, spins, leaps, jumps, leg holds, leg catches, kickes (front,side and back), piroettes, box splits, front splits, and the teacher makes up moves for your routine that catch the judges eye :)

well ive never done jazz, but i don't think they're at all similar

it is a style of dance, with competitions nearly every sunday

it just depends on what you prefer. i say cozzie because i think cozzy and cossie look weird

it is said Co-zee like in coffee but with a z

when a dancer reaches the final, depending on how many dancers the compeated against, they can lose a life. when you lose 3 lifes, you move up to the next level, or if you are a champ, you become a premier champ (i think)

the begginers can have the same costume, many do. but not in any of the other catagories, because if there was two people dancing at the same time with the same cozzie, then the judge may get confused :?

8. Who are the judges and what qualifies them to judge?

to be a judge, you have to have passsed some sort of exam i think, and you have to be over a certain age (i think it is 21)

ive never been to a competition in the U.S.A but i wouldn't think they'd be too alike

first, your teacher gives you a routine and you go to a competition to dance it. you go up in your section and dance it round the floor until the music stops (usually about 1 min) it doesn't really matter if you forget because you can just keep doing runs or something to remeber it again lol

11. How are awards given? Are people scored against a point system, and are multiple first, second, thirds etc. or gold silver bronzes awarded, or is there just one 1rst, second, third place winner?

in a final there is 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and sometimes 7th. they all receive a trophy and the winner sometimes gets a sash. the trophys get smaller the lower the place

nope, just the finalists

begginers must have plain costumes (one colour) or they may wear a different coloured top and bottoms but no stones allowed.
Starters are allowed any pattern but no stones, and inters and champs are allowed anything they want with stones :)

we take training classes about 4 times a week if thats what you mean?

its not really important, not everyone can do them, but it looks good on the floor

we do leaps and pirouettes, but i don't know what a foette is?

17. Is tumbling allowed?

only in the champs solo spots

you have to be over 3 years old

anyone can compete :)

yes! i competed within 2 months

nearly everyone does it, because it is held at every comp. it is just as important as solo

??????

rock 'n' roll is exactly what is says :) like the old style rock n roll but with more advanced moves

it is similar to lyrical and is done to slow songs like christina aguilera "beautiful" it is mostly done by girls and looks very pretty :)

nope neither. it is a DISCO competition

they are usually held in sports centres, highschool or wherever the holder wants as long as its big enough

at normal day comps there is only 1 dance at a time but in weekend comps (brean for example), there is usually 2 at a time

28. Are the dances choreographed or are they actually truly "freestyle" i.e. improv?

they are taught before hand i think thats what you mean

nope i dont think so :?

no. alot of suits have arm and leg bands to finish off the suit and make it look nice

there is usually about 10 dancers up at a time, in heats. they all dance at once so you have to get the judges attention and try and convince them to mark you ;)

what????

i think thats a silly question. thats like saying all ballet dancers say the word "nice" or something! no its just british slang

no. you can learn it to keep fit, or just for enjoyment

we dont. well i dont anyway, its netspeak

they really make a cozzie sparkle, and just about every dancer has them

no limit :)

i dance with the ADFP and that is the main disco organisation but there is also UKA and IDST whose answers in this post would differ from mines. adfp dancers have a card on which they keep their results

not really, you can learn one without the other

well i would say the ones that do competitions are "proffesional" and the ones who just go to train are not. but no, not really

some do, but some get confused and run around the floor :) it looks really cute and everyone claps on them lol

there is a section called U/5 open and U/6 open, and they have no costume rules

Millions and Millions too many to count

nope :( but there should be it would be so interesting

not at all.

lots of reasons - we grow out of them, don't like them anymore, just simplu need a new one..... just whenever we feel like it basically

not really, but if you seen a champ wearing a leotard for example, it might put the judges off because all the others have put the efforts in to spend money on stoned costumes

but it shouldn't because its all about the dancing really

i was typing in google searching for disco, then this came up

i joined, mu cousin was already a member, and my whole dance.school knows about it. so does about every disco dancer because it is talked about alot and you catch up on all the gossip lol

usually from about 9 until 8 maybe longer

50. What is "show"? ive never done show, but lise3 already answered so its ok.

im going to add a few things too if thats ok

in slow dance, everyone has the same rules about sotumes, hair etc.

sometimes at competitions it is split into begginer starter/inter champs to give the beginners and starters a better chance. this is much fairer :)

disco people all get to meet each other at comps and be friends so dance.net is great for all that!

hope ive helped! and explained a few things you didn't know

i know ive got about 100 spelling mistakes but its way too long to check

Lots Of Love Patricia xx
By groovytwinsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14170, member since Fri Dec 26, 2003
On Sun Sep 26, 2004 09:44 AM
oops! i didn't think it would be THAT long :O

if anyone needs anymore help feel free to pm me :)
re: Disco FAQ (karma: 3)
By tamsinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1456, member since Sun Dec 08, 2002
On Tue Sep 28, 2004 03:35 PM
Right....my answers to soem of these questions...!
might come back n do some more later!

30. What is it I've heard about "arm bands" are you required to wear them?they are just a costume accessory

COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!! then only time a dancer dances alone is in a championship solospot (read disco sticky!) otherwise the dancer are split into heats, and the judges write down the nos of the dancers they want to call back. this keeps goin through quarter and semi finals, untill the finals, where the judges place them in the order (from 1st downwarda) they want to win.

36. Wht's the big deal about "stones"?They look pretty (!) stand out etc

16 in a team, at a comp it depends on the floor size, and classes have no limit!

idf/adfp are just dancing organisations/governments

in my opinion, disco needs less technique than msot other forms of dance (although others might disagree!!)However, u gotta have some to make the moves look good!

actully, i think most of them have routines!! they may be simple, and they may forget them a lot, but the do do em! but the 'cute' factor is there too! i think they just like performing.

u6s are 'open', meaning they can wear any costume
, but u8 upwards must follow the rules. the kids u c must eityher be u8, or yes, have made it through to champs/inters in a short time!

much less so than in other forms of dance-its not like ballet! any shape/size persoan can take part, and noone is discrimiated against

because fashions change very quickly, and costumes (particularly champ ones) need to be kept up to date so that you look good. also, you get bored of them and grow out of them

an eyecatching costume can satnd on on the floor, which will help you get noticed by the judges. technically, it shouldnt affect your results, but different costumes can affect the way your dancing looks etc.

usually all day on a sunday, but there are some festivals and larger comps that can last for a weekend or few days
re: Disco FAQ (karma: 4)
By PiNk_SaMfAmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3832, member since Sun Feb 23, 2003
On Wed Sep 29, 2004 01:54 PM
Hiya :)

1.What kind of technique is used in disco? Disco contains a lot of moves. Flexibility is defintely needed. A typical Disco routine could have strides (posh term for runs!), kicks, spins, catches (front, side and back) leaps or jumps and maybe the odd backbend or splits.

2.How is disco different from jazz, or isn't it? Not done Jazz sorry!

3.Is Disco an actual style of dance, or just a type of competition? Freestyle is the correct term for Disco lol!And it is a style!

4. Why do you call your costumes "cozzies" and how come some people spell if differently like "cossie" or "cozzy?" *Cozzies* is just a slang or shortened word- and its personal preference!

5.Do you pronounce it Co-zee (like a tea cozie) or cah-zee? You pronounce it Coz-ee! Like a swimming cossie!

6. What does it mean to "lose a life" and why do you call it that? Losing a life is where a dancer comes 1st,2nd or 3rd in a final and there are over a certain amount of people. Lose 3 lives and you move up a grade!

7.Can more than one person have the same costume, like can they be ordered from catalogs, or are they all custom made? Unless they're pairs or trios, there is not 1 identical costume out there- they're custom made!

8. Who ae the judges and what qualifies them to judge? Judges are usually teachers from dance schools, and they do an exam

9.How do disco competitions differ from the competitive dance in the united states? I dont know

10. How does one go about doing a solo? Doing solos you dance your own routine in your age group and grade to compete against the others

11. How are awards given? Are people scored against a point syste, and are multiple first, second, thirds etc. or gold silver bronzes awarded, or is there just one 1rst, second, third place winner? Trophies are given at the ned of a solo comp,there are usually 6-7 people in the final who will all be placed by the judges!

12. Does everyone get a trophey or award at every competition? No :C Only those who make the final

13. What are the rules about costumes and why are they there? Beginners wear plain lycra costumes and starters can have any style costume just with no stones or sequins (to save money I think was the idea..) and Inters/Champs can have what they like

14.Are disco dancers required to take technique classes? Its not compulsory!

15.Why is a "back catch" so important? Not important just looks v.good!

16. What are some other exaples of typical steps (besides "tricks") done in disco? So you do leaps, pirouettes, fouettes, etc.? pirouttes are done as are some leaps, strides, catches, spins and runs etc

17. Is tumbling allowed? In a solo spot (for Champs only normally) gymnastics are allowed as long as there is one hand on the floor

18.Are there any age limits? How young, old do you have to be? No age limits that I know of!

19. Can anyone compete in disco or do you have to audition? No its free to anyone

20.Can a dancer compete her first year dancing? Yes if he/she wants to

21. What is "pairs", and why do so many people do it? Pairs is like doing solos but with 2 of you- its good fun!

22. Can teachers be certified by anyone? I dont know

23.What is "rock and roll" and why is it called that? Rock n Roll is danced by 2 people and is danced to rock n roll music but with gymnastic moves in

24.What is "Slow" disco? IS it the same as lyrical? Its similair, a lot of control n flexibility is needed though

25. Can tap be done in a disco competition? What about ballet? No tap cant, ballet movements can be used in slow dance though

26. Where are competitions held? Auditoriums? Hotels? Sports halls usually, ballrooms and if at festivals its usually at a holiday resort

27. Are more than one dance going on at once? How does that work? Is it in a "three ring circus" style or do a whole bunch of dancers just come out and dance to the same song at once? No, there is only one event on at a time in one hall

28. Are the dances choreographed or are they actually truly "freestyl" i.e. improv? Your own dance routin is normally choreographed by a teacher

29. Are there rules about hair or make up? Nope!

30. What is it I've heard about "arm bands" are you required to wear them? You're not required t wear them-they just come with the cozzies

31. In the US, at competitions one dancer/group performs at a time and is scored, then they recieve their applause and another dancer/group comes on stage to do their thing after the other have left and been scored, how does disco differ? In each age group n grade about 8 dancers come on, dance around the judges whilst been clapped on by there school.Then they go off!

32. Are there disco conventions? No there are festivals Brean,Filey,Craig Tara n Devon Cliffs to name a few!

33. Is "fabby" and the notion of ending lots of words with an "ie" or a "y" strictly a disco trend, or is it just British slang? Slang and its like americans say awesome or neat

34.Do you have to compete to do disco? Yes its a very competitive sport

35. Why do you call your studios skules, and why do you spell them that way? Only some people do that,and its just net speak!

36. Wht's the big deal about "stones"? Make costumes look pretty- like sequins but with a touch more class

37.What's the largest number of dancers allowed in a group? Depends on the person on the microphones decision

38. What are the different dsico groups I've heard you guys refer to like IDF or something like that? ADFP are the governing body

39.How important is technique in relation to tricks? Either are equally important-its judges preference

40.Are there any "professional" disco dancers? Not sure

Some do have set routines others just go out there n run around- it prepares them for wen they're older

42. If you have to wear plain costumes when you first start how come I see really little kids with bright sparkly costumes, how could they advance so quickly? Or are the rules diferent for them? If they started around 4/5 they were classed as U6 open so they could wear what they want- if they were veryt successful they move up grades higher!You're genreally more flexy n quicker when you're younger!

43.About how many disco dancers are there? Under a hundred?Hundreds? Thousands? Thousands lol

44. HAve there been any movies made about Disco? nO :C

45.Is body size important? Nobody is discriminated

46. Why do you change costumes so often? Growth spurts or just because fashions change!

47.Does your costume affect your score? Alot? Mmmm sometimes, it depends, rarely happens...

48.Why is Dance.net so well known in the disco community? Loadsa people are on here!

49. How long do competitions last? About 9.00 til 6.30 ish

50. What is "show"? No idea lol!

Love Sammi x x x x
re: Disco FAQ (karma: 3)
By Noreenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 5968, member since Wed Sep 24, 2003
On Thu Sep 30, 2004 05:28 AM
Brilliant idea :) I'll answer them now for you :)

Disco is made up from a variety of techniques borrowed form other styles. The main basics every disco dancer should know are spins, kicks, leaps, jumps and basic arm movements.

it is different to jazz mainly because of the speed. Disco is so fast!! My sister jokes that the kids need to be on something to dane as fast as they do!LOL Also Jazz competitions would be very different. The steps is disco are more based on flexibility as well

It is an actual style of dance. Disco is based upon competitng. Thats were the confusion would lie. But it is indeed a form of dance.

A "cozzie" is just a local term for the word costume. I myself call costumes suits so It differes from region to region. Thats the reason for the spelling too.

ITs pronounced Coz -ee nor cosie lol

In the competitions you need work your way up to the champ sectrion. There are 4 sections: Beginner, Starter, Intermediate and Champ. TO move up each section you need to loose 3 lives. To loose a life you need to be placed 1st, 2nd or 3rd. When you achieve 3 top placings you can move up to the next section.
I am not sure why it is called losing a life though!LOL just the name for it really lol.

The only way people can have the same suit really is if they dane doubles( both dance together so same costume is needed) They are all custom made suits. There is no catalogue. That is why they are expensive!

The judges are teachers usually. These would have takken exams so they are qualified to judge.

I am not sure what competitive dance in the USA is like!Probably the style of dance would be different

A solo is their routine. This solo incorporates all the moves mentioned above. The solo takes the dancer around the floor so the dancer can be seen by all judges. The better your solo the better chance you have to get through.

there is a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th placement usually. in the final the judges place the dancers where they feel they deserve then the scrutineer adds up all teh marks to see where the placings are. An odd time there would joint placings.

No only the dancers who make the final recieve a trophy.

Beginner costume - you areonly allowed wear a plain coloured suit. Like a leotard or a catsuit. Nothing fancy whatsover.
Starter - can wear anything as long as there are no stones/diamontes on their suit
inter/champ: stones are allowed! You would see the suits on the disco pages here

The reason for this is becaus eof money. A beginner dancer would hardly be expected to go out and pay about 800 pound for a new suit! Its to try and keep people in this expensive style of dance.

Each school varies. In my classes I use the start of the class to focus in on technique.

Its not that important! Its just difficult to get and when someone gets it they are delighted! Im 20 and I still cant get mine! Also it looks good in your solo and catches the judges eye.

Everything you mentioned we do. Kicks, illusions, leg spins, jumps everything can be used

17. Is tumbling allowed?

only in the final when solo spots are required. If people were to do it arouind the floor in their solo it would be dangerous!

There are no age limits in Englnad. But in Ireland teh oldest you can be is 26 I think.

Anyone can compete as long as they are dedicated.

yeah! A dancer could compete after her first week dancing! She might not get anywhere but she still can go fir it!!LOL

pairs is doubles. Its just dancing with a partner. Many people do it because its just like solo disco except in pairs! Also its another section to compete in so maybe another chance to win a trophy!

no there different bodies you have to qualified through! Im with the UKA but there are different ones.

boogie, jive you name it!! ITs just the old style dancing to songs like rock around the clock! ITs great fun. ITs called that becasue that is what it is known as.

It is something similar to lyrical! It is danced around teh floor like solo. ITs beautiful! My favourite. Ballads are used for this. Ballet moves and balances are mainly used. ALso slow jazz moves would be used.

No tap and ballet would not be done in a disco comp! Purely disco RnR and hip hop maybe

They are held in sports halls, hotels, leisure centres, anytype of hall really.

in the heats of disco comps, about 10 daners are on the floor. The one song is used and each child dances their own solo. So this means that 10 different routines are being danced to at the same time.

They are all routines made up prior to the comp.

No! But presentation is a must. Hair out of your face when dancing is a must! SOmething funky looks good too. Make up wise something eye catchin and pretty works well.

They are parts of the costumes. If you have an armless uit many suits come with bands to take the plainess away. They are just part of the suit.

This would be something similar to our team dances. But not for solos.

There are gatherings and workshops around all year.

Im Irish and I barely use any of that so it must be an English thing!LOL

No you dont have to but like it would be silly to do disco and not compete as that is what Disco is about really. Comps!

English slang again!LOL I spell it schools! SOme people call it clubs aswell! All means the same thing really!

These are what make a costume sparkle :) They are very expensive! They stand out on the floor and catch a judges eye so this is why people like them. They make suits though ridiculously dear!

Theres none really I dont think!

they are governing bodies. The main peolpe who state rules etc! ADFP, IDTA etc

I dont really understand what tricks you mean!LOL But technique is very important!

Teachers would be I think! Other than that no there is no career for a disco dncer to just dance disco like. ballerina become professional and take part in ballets but there are no Disco shows like"!LOL

Some have a great clue what they are doing!LOL I was amazied at some of the kids! Very professionsal at a young age! Others yeah are just thrown out on the floor but they still enjoy it :)

Its up to the teachers! Also there is an u6 open which means there are no sections for u6 so you can wear a suit. Then when they move up they start at beginners.

Thousands I would say. You have them in IReland, England, Scotland, Wales, Norway South Africa and other places.

Not disco freestyle but it start from teh Saturday Night Fever films. It is nothing like that today though!LOL It has developed so much!LOL

No not really. There are disco dancers of every size out there!:)

Becasue it is all about getting noticed! SO you change your suit after you wear it a bit and then the judges will have something new to see you in! Also styles change really quickly an dpeople like keeping up with the trend!

No I dont think so ! A good judge looks at the dancer not the costume

Probably because its a chaance for firends around the country to keep in touch? Im not sure because on here is mainy an English and Scottish community!LOL Im Irish there are only a few members from Ireland on here!

ALL DAY!!!!! There are weekend festivals throughout the year as well! A normal day comp starts about 10.30am and would finish arounf 7.30pm

50. What is "show"?

Show dacne is insppired from other kind of dances like tap and jazz. Its totally different! ITs kind of like mini musicals!LOL

I enjoyed that :) You had good questions!

PM me if you need to know more"
On Wed Oct 13, 2004 07:47 AM
Edited by groovytwins (80564) on 2004-10-13 07:43:37
Edited by groovytwins (80564) on 2004-10-13 07:44:23
Edited by groovytwins (80564) on 2004-10-13 08:29:33
Some good answers here ;)

Lots Of Love Patrice x x x
By daftdancemum Comments: 17, member since Tue Oct 26, 2004
On Tue Oct 26, 2004 07:27 AM
Arm Bands are a part of your costume if its short sleeved,

you do get costumes that are the same style but different colours,

We change costumes so often because styles change all the time and your costume would be classed as old fashioned!
By bornchamp Comments: 5875, member since Mon Nov 03, 2003
On Tue Oct 26, 2004 07:48 AM
Fab answers!
Are your fingers hurting!?!?
They've all been answered perfectly,i read everyone! ;)
Anyway,dont mean to sound completely thick but what does FAQ mean?!?!?
Its probably completely simple!
Sorry,
Love me x x x
By Noreenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 5968, member since Wed Sep 24, 2003
On Tue Oct 26, 2004 07:52 AM
^ FAQ is Frequently asked questions! :)
By d_a_n_90 Comments: 246, member since Thu Mar 27, 2003
On Tue Oct 26, 2004 08:40 AM
Removed by pharmadancer (87219) on 2005-11-08 19:44:15 netspeak is not allowed on DDN - please spell out words fully
i fink this is a really gud idea
dan :D
By jodielee Comments: 313, member since Thu Oct 21, 2004
On Tue Oct 26, 2004 09:14 AM
well good idea!
By Chouplalamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 6421, member since Sat Oct 18, 2003
On Thu Nov 18, 2004 01:21 PM
heya

i rated everyone who answered up lol!

it answered most of my questions about disco dancing and
i understand lots more now!!

thanks to everyone who's replied i read all of them hehe :D

xox isabelle xox
By WhiteChocolatemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 123, member since Fri Nov 19, 2004
On Fri Nov 19, 2004 07:06 AM
Hiya!
Although I have been doing disco for about a year now, I dance ISTD (which not many other people do on dance.net) So this has really helped me too! :D

Cheers hunni (I will rate you when I am a full member!lol)
Love and Stuff
Laura xXx
By reelcanadiangirlPremium member Comments: 1125, member since Sat Aug 14, 2004
On Sat Nov 20, 2004 05:07 PM
I just have one more question (sorry if it's already been answered!)... do disco competitions only take place in Europe? I live in Canada and I've never heard of them before (they sound really interesting :)
By collingwood Comments: 20, member since Sun Nov 28, 2004
On Sun Nov 28, 2004 08:01 PM
I live in Australia and I've never heard of a disco competition either. Do they exist in Australia?
By Miss_FreeSteppinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2133, member since Sat Nov 13, 2004
On Mon Nov 29, 2004 04:02 AM
im confused lolz!!
By PushTheButtonmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2023, member since Fri Jan 09, 2004
On Mon Nov 29, 2004 03:24 PM
^^^ and ^^ that i know of they are generaly just in the UK, Ireland, Norway and SouthAfrica!

There could be other places but im not sure!!

xx lisa xx
By Cindy3 Comments: 2600, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Tue Nov 30, 2004 04:10 PM
I think this posting, and the answers that were given are sooo helpful. I was curious about the whole subject, and now I've got somewhat of an ideaa what it's all about.

Thanks to all!
By xxdancingqueenxxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1915, member since Mon Jun 28, 2004
On Tue Dec 14, 2004 09:05 AM
Edited by xxdancingqueenxx (97933) on 2004-12-14 08:58:13

Hey

I'll try answer these as best as I can

1.What kind of technique is used in disco? Fast spins, runs around the floor, leaps, jumps, leg holds (front side & back),pirroets(sp), splits, back bands and any other original moves your teacher can make up and put in there

Both disco and Jazz require strength,speed,stamina and flexibility and good timing. However they are completely different as in the music is very upbeat and the steps are very dofferent, maybe more based on flexibility

YES, disco is very much a form of dance. You don't have to do comps do do disco, you can just take your medal tests(exams)and just go along for clases and learn new routines :)

Well "cozzie" is just an abbrieviation(sp) of costume. People tend to say "cozzie" instead of costume, I'm not sure why though. And just what you prefer to write or say. Some people don't think it looks right writing "cossi" so they write it in another form

You pronounce it as co-zee

To lose a life, you must come 1st,2nd or 3rd in your final depending on how many dancers there are in the first stage. This is how it goes

0-6 competitors= no loss of life
7-12 competitors= 1st place only to lose a life
13-24 competiors(I think?)= 1st and 2nd place only to lose a life
25+ competitors= 1st,2nd &3rd lose a life

Losing A life means that you are a stage up from progessing to the next section. When you lose a life it is marked on your 'status card' which tells you how many lives you have lost and what current section you are in. Once you have lost 3 lives in your section, you move up to the next section these are the sections:
Beginner, Starter,Intermediate, Championship. One of an Intermediate dancer's lives must be a 1st before they move up to champ

They are all custom made (well supposed to be!!)

They can either be teachers from other schools or professional you have to take an exam and be over a certain age (I think it's 21)

I have never seen a comp in the U.S so don't think I can help you there

You go up on the floor with other dancers ready to dance there solo, you are put into heats and then it's usually around 7 dancers on the floor dancing there own individual routine on there own. You have to keep going round the floor in an anti-clockwise direction for about 1min 30 secs.

All the finalsts line up as the judges annouince there places (usually its in reverse order) they all get a prize

Only the finalists. They usually get trophies and the trophies get smaller the lower the places. Sometimes you get a sash and flowers. The bigger the comp, the bigger the trophies are

Beginners can only wear plain items of clothing such as a lycra croptop and plain plack jazz pants. The colours can be as bright as you like but they cant have anything else on them and its only one colour per clothing piece (you cannot have i.e a back and white top etc) the plain items of clothing can be 1 piece or 2 piece, no accesories or glitter are allowed

Starters can have any design they like, with any fabric but no stones, sequins, beads or any other form of added glitter can be added to the material. The material itself can be sparkly though.

For inters and champs anything goes and you can wear any desgin of cozzie, material and can have as much stones and glitter as you like.

14.Are disco dancers required to take technique classes? Well we do several classes a week if thats what you mean.

15.Why is a "back catch" so important? It's not that important, it's just hard to do and looks good in your routine

16. What are some other exaples of typical steps (besides "tricks") done in disco? So you do leaps, pirouettes, fouettes, etc.? high kicks, back kicks, box jumps etc

17. Is tumbling allowed? only in a champ 'solo spot' where the champ dancers on their own in their final. This is the only time where its allowed, it would be very dangerous otherwise

I think the minimum age is 3 not sure though :? but theres no maximum age

19. Can anyone compete in disco or do you have to audition? Anyone can compete :D

20.Can a dancer compete her first year dancing? yep sure can

21. What is "pairs", and why do so many people do it? Pairs is when two people dance together. It is just like solo, only two people are doing it and you wear matching outfits. I think its really fun to do. You do lots of contact movements with your partner and timing is essential

22. Can teachers be certified by anyone? sorry Im not sure

23.What is "rock and roll" and why is it called that? rock and roll is a very old form of dance. you dance with another person (like pairs) and wear 50ish type outfits lol. You do things like lifts and dance to songs like 'jailhouse rock'

24.What is "Slow" disco? IS it the same as lyrical? I don't really know about lyrical. But slow dance is beautiful in its own right and you dance to slow songs like 'beautiful' by christina agulira. This is where a lot of people show off there flexiblity. We wear floaty costumes with quite a bit of chiffon.

25. Can tap be done in a disco competition? What about ballet? No tap cannot be done but ballet links in with slow dance and alot of ballet moves are done in there

Usually in big sport centres across the country in large sport halls. If its a big weekend comp such as Brean, they are held in holiday camps to accomate all the people.

It usually starts off with solo, then pairs, then team, then slow and usually no two dances are goin on at the same time

Your teacher choreographs your routine for you and/or you can add things in you have made up if you think it looks good

29. Are there rules about hair or make up? There are no rules but everyone has there hair done in a style and they all wear makeup such as foundation, fake tan, mascara/false eyelashes etc..

30. What is it I've heard about "arm bands" are you required to wear them? You don't have to wear them. They're just accesories that come with your costume and it makes your outfit seem more 'complete'

31. In the US, at competitions one dancer/group performs at a time and is scored, then they recieve their applause and another dancer/group comes on stage to do their thing after the other have left and been scored, how does disco differ? Judges mark you down depending how good you have danced in the round then they will call the best dancers back and will be knocked out until the final 6 compete in the final and then the judges make their final decision.

32. Are there disco conventions? sorry i dont know what you mean

33. Is "fabby" and the notion of ending lots of words with an "ie" or a "y" strictly a disco trend, or is it just British slang? Um, usually ends with a y and its just short for fabulous I think its mainly a disco thing

34.Do you have to compete to do disco? No

35. Why do you call your studios skules, and why do you spell them that way? Its just they way some people spell it

36. Wht's the big deal about "stones"? They make your costume really sparkly and stand out

37.What's the largest number of dancers allowed in a group? well only about 7-10 dancers are allowed on the floor at one time

38. What are the different dsico groups I've heard you guys refer to like IDF or something like that? There are differnt federations, bit I dont really understand them. Im with the ADFP,some are with,ISTD,UKA etc...

39.How important is technique in relation to tricks? Well to do the tricks you gotta have the technique like strength stamina flexibility

40.Are there any "professional" disco dancers? Im not sure

41. Do the little dancers (areound 4 or so) really have any idea what they're doing or do they just stand out there and look cute?SSome forget there routines but others are very good for there age and are very cute

42. If you have to wear plain costumes when you first start how come I see really little kids with bright sparkly costumes, how could they advance so quickly? Or are the rules diferent for them? if your under 6 years of age. You dance in the u/6 'open' and can wear whatever you want. once you turn 6, you go straight into u/8 beginners unless you have lost a certain number of lives in the open and can move up past beginners

43.About how many disco dancers are there? Under a hundred?Hundreds? Thousands? Thousands I would say

44. HAve there been any movies made about Disco? not that i know of

45.Is body size important? no

46. Why do you change costumes so often? Because the fashion changes so quickly and we grow out of them etc

47.Does your costume affect your score? Alot? No its houldnt but if you have a really stunning costume the judge might spot you and watch you first so that can be to your advantage

48.Why is Dance.net so well known in the disco community?because we meet up at comps so often and tell each other about dance.net

49. How long do competitions last? usually around 9-6 but the big ones can go on very late

50. What is "show"? when you act out a piece of a show like 'cats' or somehting to judges
Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch