Forum: Disco / Disco

Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3
re: Disco FAQ
By bornchamp Comments: 5875, member since Mon Nov 03, 2003
On Wed Dec 15, 2004 01:54 PM
Hey!
Some great answers here!
As for question 33,'fabby' is British slang but not in everyday 'chat'.
Mainly on the net and mainly a disco thing,yes!
This is what reads at the top of the disco page:
Spelled out regional slang like "wee", "lush", and "fabby" are fine and encouraged :D.
Merry christmas...
Love Jodie x x x
By PinkPearlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2044, member since Sun Aug 17, 2003
On Sun Dec 26, 2004 09:38 PM
Edited by agdancergirl (71808) on 2004-12-26 21:30:48
Thanks for answering all the questions, I understand a little more what disco is. I wish I could see it on video or something. It would be really interesting to watch. I didn't even know about disco in Europe since I joined here :)
I have some questions also
Are there disco competitions is France?
I heard a few people say they did ISTD. That's the syllabus I do for my modern, tap and jazz exams, so by saying ISTD do you mean you do disco exams? Or what do you mean by ISTD as in a disco organisation?
Thanks!
By Tabbymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4988, member since Mon May 17, 2004
On Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:31 AM
great post!
By kaz909member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2066, member since Tue Sep 28, 2004
On Fri Dec 31, 2004 04:28 PM
hiya,

thanks to everyone who has replyed, this is really helpful! :)

love,
kathryn xx
By groovygranmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12545, member since Mon Jan 19, 2004
On Sun Jan 09, 2005 03:47 AM
Some one earlier mentioned proffesionals

All dancers who do comps are amateur

Once someone accepts money for teaching [becomes a proffesional]cannot enter competitions any more

Hope this clears this up for you

Love mama DD's xxxx
By ratherbedancing7member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 169, member since Wed Nov 24, 2004
On Sat Jan 22, 2005 05:35 PM
Hi! I'm from the US and we don't have disco. I'd really like to see what its like though. Are there any internet videos? And if costumes are expensive because they are custom don't you think it'd be cheaper to order one from the US? We don't use custom made costumes in our dances. I wish we had disco it sounds so interesting
By Taptapper Comments: 134, member since Wed Feb 09, 2005
On Thu Feb 17, 2005 08:41 AM
Is disco an examinable dance type? My dance school has tried to do some in the past but not very technically. Is there an actual slyabus?
By Kingaling Comments: 124, member since Sun Feb 27, 2005
On Tue Mar 01, 2005 08:07 PM
I live in Canada, and I'm part of the BATD ( british association of teachers of dance) and I've done disco exams before. It's just like jazz only you typically use more Techno and old school disco music. But generally its almost the exact same as jazz
Dance questions
By PTrainer Comments: 71, member since Mon Mar 07, 2005
On Tue Mar 08, 2005 06:38 PM
I'll try my bestest to answer as well as I can, although things might have changed slightly as I retired from competing two years ago. Here goes.

1. Disco tends to be a kind of mish mash of all other types of dance really. We do pirouettes, jazz runs especially, Funk moves can come into play. Everything and anything really if it looks good then we're the gals (and guys) to use it!!!!

2.Disco is totally different from jazz mainly because jazz styles wouldn't work tooo well with the music we tend to use, although the jazz runs are a regular in everyones routines.
A teachers answer
By Footworks_Alimember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 313, member since Sun Mar 13, 2005
On Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:13 AM
Hello!

I shall answer some questions from a teachers point of view.

1.What kind of technique is used in disco?
Kicks, spins and leaps are very importaint in disco. Dancers must be flexible and have a good line as they use accentuated arm head and hand movements.

2.How is disco different from jazz, or isn't it?
Disco has no set syllabus. In Jazz you will learn your bar work, centre work and floor work but in disco floor work is kept to a minimum with virtually no bar work in the class room. Jazz has been handed down for decades with each teacher passing on the well known steps and movements to their pupils. Disco (apart from the basic kicks spins and leaps) is ever changing keeping upto date with all the latest music and movement.
Disco is fast and furious with dancers wizzing around the dance floor performing to every direction except in teams and on solo spots where they face one direction only.

3.Is Disco an actual style of dance, or just a type of competition?

It is a style of dance but is more commonly known as freestyle as it has moved away from the Saturday night Fever style of disco dance.

8. Who ae the judges and what qualifies them to judge?
judges are qualified dance teachers over the age of 21. Some associations require you to take a further exam to qualify, others accept teachers qualified to Associate level.

22. Can teachers be certified by anyone?
Their are two main examining boards in the UK, the ISTD (Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing) and the IDTA (International Dance Teachers Association) There are others but these have been around the longest (I think). All teachers are examined not only on their knowlege and choreography skills but also on their teaching practice.

24.What is "Slow" disco? IS it the same as lyrical?
Slow disco is very similar to lyrical but a lot more glam!

25. Can tap be done in a disco competition? What about ballet?
No tap or ballet, those styles are part of the theatre branch of the above associations. Disco is part of the ballroom branch, freestyle is the main style of a comp day but you may see rock and roll, slow, show, hip hop and line dancing.

27. Are more than one dance going on at once? How does that work? Is it in a "three ring circus" style or do a whole bunch of dancers just come out and dance to the same song at once?

Unlike dance festivals which I think you are talking about, disco is danced on a large dance floor with the audience seated all around. There can be anything from 1-10 judges walking around the floor. Each dancer wears a number and they dance in heats until the final. Only in Teams and Champ solo spots will you see one routine on the floor at a time. Have you see Strictly Ballroom? The dancing is not the same but the competitions are similar.

31. In the US, at competitions one dancer/group performs at a time and is scored, then they recieve their applause and another dancer/group comes on stage to do their thing after the other have left and been scored, how does disco differ?

See above

45.Is body size important?

No

48.Why is Dance.net so well known in the disco community?
I don't think there is anywhere else online that Disco people can meet.

PM me if you require any other answers.

Ali
re: Disco FAQ (karma: 2)
By kimono1member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 36, member since Fri Apr 01, 2005
On Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:06 AM
Hiya, im a beginner and iv been dancing for less than a year! so i might not b able to answer some questions, but i hope i can help!

well in our routines we use run, spins, jumps, splits, leaps etc.

2.How is disco different from jazz, or isn't it? Its very different, its a completely different style of dance.

3.Is Disco an actual style of dance, or just a type of competition? see above.

4. Why do you call your costumes "cozzies" and how come some people spell if differently like "cossie" or "cozzy?"
well i dont call my costumes cossies and iv never heard anyone call them that either. I call my swimming costumes cossies, but not dance costumes. Im from west yorkshire, maybe its a southern thing?

5.Do you pronounce it Co-zee (like a tea cozie) or cah-zee?
see above, but i pronounce swimmin cossie like c o as in orange or coffee zee.

6. What does it mean to "lose a life" and why do you call it that? "losing a life" is when you come 1st if there 7 or more people 2nd if there 14 or more people or 3rd if theres 21 or more people in ur catagory. I dont know if this is right for everyone but when you lose a life you get a mark in your registration card. This is sometimes called getting a first as well. Also when u you lose 3 live you move up to the next difficulty ex. from beginner to starter and from intermediate to champion.

7.Can more than one person have the same costume, like can they be ordered from catalogs, or are they all custom made?
in beginners, you are only allowed to wear plain leotards, so you often come across someone else with the same costume as you, but in other groups the costumes are custom made.

The judges are teachers from various dance schools, they need to take an exam and get certain qualifications to become a teacher but i dont know whether or not they have to take an exam to judge.

9.How do disco competitions differ from the competitive dance in the united states?
I have never seen a US competition, but from your questions i gather that they are very different!

10. How does one go about doing a solo?
When I started my teacher gave me a simple routine, (everybody has a different routine) and then as i learnt new moves and became more flexable she added them in and changed things to make it easier to do certain moves and look better. Obviously if you liked a move you could suggest it or ask for a move to be taken out if you dont like it.

11. How are awards given? Are people scored against a point syste, and are multiple first, second, thirds etc. or gold silver bronzes awarded, or is there just one 1rst, second, third place winner? There is just one 1st 2nd 3rd, but sometimes there is no 4th 5th etc, just runners up.

12. Does everyone get a trophey or award at every competition? Only if you get into the final, Im in under 16 beginner and at smaller competitions there arnt that many of us, so we go straight into the final which means we all get a trophy. At a comp i once saw a girl who had to dance all by herself because there was nobody else in her catagory!

13. What are the rules about costumes and why are they there?
All I know is that you can only where plain coloured leotards in beginers, no stones in starters and w/e you want.

14.Are disco dancers required to take technique classes?
erm..im not qite sure wat u mean, but i go to 1 class a week and you can have private lessons (1 on 1 with your teacher)

15.Why is a "back catch" so important?
Is that when you flick your leg backwards and catch it? if so, i dont see why its so important?! i guess it looks good.

16. What are some other exaples of typical steps (besides "tricks") done in disco? So you do leaps, pirouettes, fouettes, etc.?
see fisrt question.

17. Is tumbling allowed?
Whats tumbling?

18.Are there any age limits? How young, old do you have to be?
I think you have to be 3, i dont think thres a maximum age, but there arnt many over 21, they usually become teaachers.
19. Can anyone compete in disco or do you have to audition?
you need a registration card and to attend a school. You dont need to audition.
20.Can a dancer compete her first year dancing?
Yes, iv been to about 6 comps sp far
21. What is "pairs", and why do so many people do it?
Pairs is where 2 people dance togther, the rules are similar to solo.

what? thats stupid obviously not.

23.What is "rock and roll" and why is it called that?
Its dancing witha partner to rock and roll music, it involves things like lifts and cartwheels etc

Slow is dancing to slow music, like celine dion etc.

no, tap and ballet are completely different to disco. Although some ballet moves are good for slow dance.

26. Where are competitions held? Auditoriums? Hotels?
Mostly sports halls or anywhere big enough.

27. Are more than one dance going on at once? How does that work? Is it in a "three ring circus" style or do a whole bunch of dancers just come out and dance to the same song at once?

28. Are the dances choreographed or are they actually truly "freestyl" i.e. improv?
choreographed, but it doesnt matter much if you dont do your routine perfectly because the judges dont know your dance.
29. Are there rules about hair or make up?
Beginners have to wear therre hair in a pony tail.

30. What is it I've heard about "arm bands" are you required to wear them?
no, but a lot of costumes come with them as they look nice.

31. In the US, at competitions one dancer/group performs at a time and is scored, then they recieve their applause and another dancer/group comes on stage to do their thing after the other have left and been scored, how does disco differ?
The judges stand around the floor, and the catagory is called out, for example under 14 starters, then all the u14 starters come onto the floor and start dancing when the music comes on, the judges write down the numbers (pinned onto their backs)
of dancers they like, they stop dancing when the music stops. later on the catagory and numbers that got into the next heat are called out.

32. Are there disco conventions?
what?

33. Is "fabby" and the notion of ending lots of words with an "ie" or a "y" strictly a disco trend, or is it just British slang?
i dont talk like that! thats like me askin you do americans always say awesome and ewww!

34.Do you have to compete to do disco?
well you can just go to classes to keep fit or for fun if you want.

35. Why do you call your studios skules, and why do you spell them that way?
thats netslang. we call them schools because we learn how to dance.

36. Wht's the big deal about "stones"?
they look nice.

37.What's the largest number of dancers allowed in a group?
do you mean team, because im not sure.

38. What are the different dsico groups I've heard you guys refer to like IDF or something like that?
Ithink theyre boards, that make rules etc. not too sure.

39.How important is technique in relation to tricks?
i dont understand.

40.Are there any "professional" disco dancers?
well it depends on what you think professional is? i think a professional dancer is someone who makes a livng from disco dance.

41. Do the little dancers (areound 4 or so) really have any idea what they're doing or do they just stand out there and look cute?
lol our schools little dancers have simple routines where they just stand and clap etc. we cheer them on and help them from the sidelines.

42. If you have to wear plain costumes when you first start how come I see really little kids with bright sparkly costumes, how could they advance so quickly? Or are the rules diferent for them?
well i thnk its because theres an u6 open, which means they can wear watever they want

43.About how many disco dancers are there? Under a hundred?Hundreds? Thousands?
oh my god LOADS hundreds of thousands maybe millions.

44. HAve there been any movies made about Disco?
not that i know of.

apart from the obvious like being dangerously over or underweight no.

46. Why do you change costumes so often?
doesnt fit anymore, got bored of it, ripped/damaged, moved up a level.

47.Does your costume affect your score? Alot?
well a good costume cathes the judges eye so it helps but you dont get scored on your costume.

i dont no iv only just found out about it.

49. How long do competitions last?
on average we start at about 10 and it usually finishes by 8ish

50. What is "show"?
i have no idea iv never heard of it

Hope this helps. If iv got anything wrong dont hesitate to correct me.
By groovygranmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12545, member since Mon Jan 19, 2004
On Sat Apr 02, 2005 01:03 AM
Hi re the word cossie or Cozzie
it is just a slang word for costume and used all over UK including yorkshire

love mama DD's xxx
re: Disco FAQ (karma: 2)
By JustDanceStudiosmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1296, member since Wed Jan 21, 2004
On Sat Apr 16, 2005 02:06 PM
Runs, spins, kicks and kick catches are used in disco :) Along with many other moves. They all should flow toghether and should catch a judge's attention!

Disco is much faster and stronger. I would also say that it is harder, having done both from a young age ;)

Disco is an actual style of dance, but is just not as welrecognized as other forms of dance :)

4. Why do you call your costumes "cozzies" and how come some people spell if differently like "cossie" or "cozzy?"
People spell "cozzies" differently depending on how they like it! I would say it was some sort of slang!

I pronounce it "co (as in cot) zi!" Don't know if that's how other's do it!

6. What does it mean to "lose a life" and why do you call it that?
It means that you are one step further to being in the next section above your current one. You need to lose three lives or points to move up a section!

7.Can more than one person have the same costume, like can they be ordered from catalogs, or are they all custom made?
All costumes are tailor-made I think., but they are available to be bought second-hand most of the time.

:( don't know :( Sorry!

9.How do disco competitions differ from the competitive dance in the united states?

A teacher will give the routine and then it is up to the dancer to perfect it and put 110% into doing it every time they dance it!

11. How are awards given? Are people scored against a point syste, and are multiple first, second, thirds etc. or gold silver bronzes awarded, or is there just one 1rst, second, third place winner?
There can be up to seven or eight in a final I think and it is up to the judges to decide who gets where!

12. Does everyone get a trophey or award at every competition?
Not everyone gets a tropy at every competition, it just depends on how well they dance etc.!

Beginners must wear a plain leotard or two-piece costume with absolutely no addition to it (think that's right) Starters are allowed to wear a costume but without rhinestones or sequins. Intermediate are allowed rhinestones and sequins and basically anything practical to dance in! I think the rules are there to clarify who dacnes in what section! :)

I would say this depends entirely on the dancer, but technique could come naturally as you learn to dance disco!

A back-catch isnt really important and there are many people who are unabl to do one and that is fine. I think it is one of the most recent steps therefore it is most talked about at the moment! ;) [/b]

16. What are some other exaples of typical steps (besides "tricks") done in disco? So you do leaps, pirouettes, fouettes, etc.?
Typical steps are drag runs, kicks, leaps, pirouettes, catches, positions and similar things! :)

17. Is tumbling allowed?

I think you can be any age as long as you dance in the appropriate age group (not sure for definate though!)

Anyone can compete as far as I know!

Yes, if that's what she wants to do!

Pairs is dancing a solo but with a partner. So, two people do the same dance! It is popular because as well as being ebjoyable it is nice to dance with someone rather tehn on your own!

Rock and Roll is like a 60's style of dance which consists of lifts and a different type of dance to solo and pairs etc. As for it's name I'm clueless!

24.What is "Slow" disco? IS it the same as lyrical?[/b]
Slow is rather like ballet but is more discoey! As for is it like lyrical I have no idea!

[b] No, not as far as I know!

Competitions are normally held in function rooms!

About 7 or 8 dancers come on the floor at once and dance around the floor!

28. Are the dances choreographed or are they actually truly "freestyl" i.e. improv?
All of the dances I have had have been previously choreographed and practised!

No I don't think so as long as they are in a way where you can dance freely!

Armbands are generally part of a dancing costume, and most people have them. However, if you don't want to wear them then fine!

When dancing disco more than one person dances at a time and they dance round the floor!

33. Is "fabby" and the notion of ending lots of words with an "ie" or a "y" strictly a disco trend, or is it just British slang?
British slang I think!

No Disco can be done as non-competing too! But it does differ slightly from competing!

There is no big deal! Most, nearly all, of inter/champ costumes have stones on! It is an advantage of being an inter/champ!

If you mean dancing together in teams there can be about 20 I would say or maybe more. As for dance school I wouldn't say there was a limit! [/b]

38. What are the different dsico groups I've heard you guys refer to like IDF or something like that?
I think there are three: ADFP, IDTA, and I can't remember the other one! :S

Personally, I think technique is just as important. Others may think differently though!

No, I don't think so, but in this world there could be!

41. Do the little dancers (areound 4 or so) really have any idea what they're doing or do they just stand out there and look cute?
I would say they do because they wouldn't get up and dance a routine if they didn't know what they are doing. Dancing from a young age also helps them later in life with things like socialising and fitness etc.

42. If you have to wear plain costumes when you first start how come I see really little kids with bright sparkly costumes, how could they advance so quickly? Or are the rules diferent for them?
In U6 the littler ones can wear sparkly costumes or plain ones I think it is up to them! ;)

I would say thousands but I'm not certain!

No, I wouldn't say so! I don't think it could matter. ;)

People change costumes when they grtow out of one or just when thye fancy a new one or a change! They are also changed when a new fashion comes in or when a big festival is coming up ! ;)

I wouldn't say so. Maybe a little bit but not loads!

Because disco dancers frequently visit the site and it is very helpful to help people meet others who share similar interests!

Competitions normally last one day, but as for festivals they can last from a weekend to a week or sometimes even more!

50. What is "show"?
I think show dance is when you dance to a tune from a muscial :S :) Don't know for definate though!

Hope I've helped!

Emma . . ** m w a h ** . .
By GanAinmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 585, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sun Oct 28, 2007 03:53 PM
Wow, lots of answers here!
Just wondering, what happens when you get to champion, do you just dance in the grade for the rest of your career or what?
By tuttatei94 Comments: 25, member since Thu Nov 15, 2007
On Mon May 05, 2008 07:15 AM

fast beat, standarized moves, more locked moves.
style of dance
cozzies are "petnames" for costumes and its what we dance in
like tea cozie
to advance to the next level you have to lose a certain number of lives and when you eg. come on 1.place you lose 7 lives, this way you know when to advance.
they are special made, very expensive btw.
the judges judge the comp. they go to a judge course.
i'm not sure what kind of comp. dance you have in the us.
its when you get to the finals when your a champ that you do you dance all alone not in a group.
11. How are awards given? Are people scored against a point syste, and are multiple first, second, thirds etc. or gold silver bronzes awarded, or is there just one 1rst, second, third place winner?
there is just 1st place and so on.
just if you are under 10
free in intermediate and champ, no glitter or stones in starters and training clothes in beginners.
yes
it isn't that important, but it looks very good in your routine.
we do runs, pirouettes, kicks, and jumps.
17. Is tumbling allowed?
?
i guess around 4-20
anyone, but you have to belong to a dance studio
yes
that is two people dancing disco together
I guess so, but not all does
I don't know
yes it is some lyrical but it is kind of disco just slow
no
all
the last one
they have a routine they learn and perform
no
i don't know
they all dance at the same time trying to get the judges attention
not in norway
it is british net slang for fabulous
no, but it is more fun that way
schools,
they make you stand out on the floor
there is no specified number but people get pissed off when there is more than 20
?
quite important
yes, but most of them quit when they are about 21 and begin to coach
they dance, but some of them forget of ourse
there are fewer dancers in the early ages, but the same rules
thousands
on youtube there are loads
it is quite hard to do this if you are extremely fat, it is necessary to be fit
it is fun
no but it might get the judges attention
it is the only disco webpage
1-2 days
50. What is "show"?
I don't know
By dancinava Comments: 197, member since Thu May 22, 2008
On Tue May 27, 2008 01:50 PM
these answers really help newcomers to disco and competition and thanks to all who supplied all of these answers , hope their fingers aren't too sore after all the typing,thanks again.
By behappy_dancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 662, member since Sun May 11, 2008
On Wed Jun 25, 2008 01:00 PM
Wow this is an amazing post! Now I want to try disco...
By Lil_Sarahmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 525, member since Fri Jan 06, 2006
On Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:13 PM

A lot of flexibility is needed. Moves are generally spins, splits, jumps, kicks and runs

Disco is performed very fast.

Disco is a style of dance. But there are competitions for dancers to compete in.

This is just a slang word for costumes. It’s like calling your swimming costume a “cozzie” I’m not sure why people spell it in different ways, I think it’s because it’s a slang word so all of the spellings used, still make the word sound the same.

It is said “Coz-eee”

All dancers start in their section with three lives. As you get a result the completion organiser will decide which places lose a life (usually 1st and 2nd depending on the section) Lives are to stop people from dancing in sections that they are too advanced for.

Costumes are all custom made. No costumes will be the same unless it is for team or pairs. Costumes sometimes may be similar to one already made, this could be due to copying the outfit or just coincidence.

8. Who are the judges and what qualifies them to judge?

The judges are dance teachers, usually from the schools attending the comp, however occasionally there will be independent judges from other schools. The judges have to have taken their teaching qualification to become a teacher, they are then able to judge.

Not to sure how competitions are done in the states, sorry!

A solo is a routine containing the moves mentioned in question 1. The dancer dances around in an anti-clockwise direction around the edge of the floor.

11. How are awards given? Are people scored against a point system, and are multiple first, second, thirds etc. or gold silver bronzes awarded, or is there just one 1rst, second, third place winner?

Dancers are judged on by their style and technique used. Depending on the amount of dancers in the section, there is usually 1st place down to 8th place. However this can vary as there may not be 8 dancers in the section, or the competition organiser may only decide they want up to 7th place.

You only win a trophy if you reach a final.

Depending on what section you dance in depends on what costume your allowed.
Beginners - plain outfit, one colour, can be a two-piece suit, no fancy items
Starters - Can have anything except no diamantes/stones anywhere on the costume
Intermediate/Champs - Diamantes/stones are allowed

This varies from school to school. Most school’s require dancers to attend some kind of technique class at least once a week.

It’s not really important, it is quite a difficult move to master and looks good when performed properly.

We use all of the above and more!

17. Is tumbling allowed?

Only allowed in a “spot” This is if you are a championship dancer and reach the final.

Nope, not in England J

No audition needed J anyone can compete

She sure can! You can compete after any time as long as you feel ready.

Pairs is like solo, only you dance with a partner. You do the same moves together. It’s another reason to compete for more trophies :D

There are many different teaching associations eg. IDTA, UKA etc.

Rock and roll is danced to music sung by artists such as Elvis. It is very up-beat, sort of like lindy hop. (not sure how to spell it)

It is very similar to lyrical. Many ballet movements are used. It is very graceful, slow ballads are used to dance to it.

No tap or ballet.

Sports halls, leisure centres, ballrooms even town halls! Anywhere where there is a suitable floor.

There is usually around 10 dancers on the floor at one time. Their routines will be set to a certain beat, depending on what dance it is, and they all dance to a song that fit’s the beat.

All routines have been practiced before hand.

No rules. Make-up is usually very bold and eye catching, hair is usually up in a funky style.

They are part of costumes. You aren’t required to wear them.

Each dancer has a number. If a judge thinks this dancer is good they will write down their number, If a few of the judges have also wrote this number down you will get through to the next round. Judges pick around 7 numbers from each round.

Not to sure on that one

It’s English slang J

Not at all. Disco freestyle is what is danced at competitions, disco dancing is usually danced to pop music or dance music. Some schools have classes where they teach set routines to set songs. These aren’t used at competitions.

Just English slang.

They stand out on the floor. Very eye catching, and very expensive!!

In a team it is 16

These are different teaching associations.

Very important! If you want to perform a move/trick properly or to a good standard, you must develop a good technique.

Yes, if you retire from competing you can become professional by becoming a teacher.

Most of them run around like headless chickens, not having a clue what their doing. But I’ve seen one or two dancing properly J

Some people don’t want to start in beginners, so this maybe why they have stoned on their costumes. Or it could be because they are excellent dancers and have made their way up into intermediates/champs. Or if they are in U6 champs/open they don’t have sections so they can wear anything.

Thousands I think. They come from all over, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, South Africa, Norway and many more J

Don’t think there are any

Not at all! In disco size doesn’t matter at all!

To get noticed! Most people get a new costume every year. Most dancers get board of wearing the same costume over and over again.

Some people will have different views on this. Judge are not supposed to judge you on your costume, however I think it plays a big role in most results!

Not to sure.. It’s a good place to sell our costumes and great way to meet new friends and talk “disco” to other people lol.

Usually start around 10 in the morning and can last until around 8 at night depend on the size of the comp. There are also weekend festivals.

50. What is "show"?

Show is inspired from musicals such as Annie and Chicago.

Woo that was fun :D PM me if you need to know anything else J

Love Sarah xxx
By Ashleigh95member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2293, member since Mon Sep 27, 2004
On Sat Aug 02, 2008 04:53 AM
Hey

This post is a great idea!

Ashleigh x
By BetsyLea33 Comments: 105, member since Sat Mar 15, 2008
On Tue Oct 28, 2008 02:55 AM
1.What kind of technique is used in disco? Any technique it depends on the style of your dance teacher.

2.How is disco different from jazz, or isn't it? The moves are completely different and freestyle is different types of expressing your emotions.

3.Is Disco an actual style of dance, or just a type of competition? It is a type of dance you can do.

4. Why do you call your costumes "cozzies" and how come some people spell if differently like "cossie" or "cozzy?" Its just slang for it.

5.Do you pronounce it Co-zee (like a tea cozie) or cah-zee? I pronounsit like co like in coffee zzie like ze for zebra (in a american acsent)

6. What does it mean to "lose a life" and why do you call it that? To lose a life because you have three lifes and when you come 1 2 or 3 sometimes you lose one of them and you have to lifes left and when youve lost them you move up a grade

7.Can more than one person have the same costume, like can they be ordered from catalogs, or are they all custom made? They can but its better to have them different

8. Who are the judges and what qualifies them to judge? They mark you on what levell of dance if they think your good anought to get through but i don know what qualifys them.

9.How do disco competitions differ from the competitive dance in the united states? I dont know?

10. How does one go about doing a solo? They walk on to the floor and go out and perform the routine there teacher has taught them.

11. How are awards given? Are people scored against a point syste, and are multiple first, second, thirds etc. or gold silver bronzes awarded, or is there just one 1rst, second, third place winner? normaly six people get to the final getting a trophie

no

No rinestones on undar intermediates no make up on under 10s because you must work to be able to have nice costumes little girls shouldnt were loads of make up its unatural

14.Are disco dancers required to take technique classes? no
15.Why is a "back catch" so important? it isnt but people want to be able to do it so they can show it off

16. What are some other exaples of typical steps (besides "tricks") done in disco? So you do leaps, pirouettes, fouettes, etc.? runs jumps back bends

17. Is tumbling allowed? depends were your from

18.Are there any age limits? How young, old do you have to be? well at are dance school yo have to be atleast 3 but above that upto any age

anyone can after they do a medals test
20.Can a dancer compete her first year dancing? yes

21. What is "pairs", and why do so many people do it? So they can dance with a friend it is fun

22. Can teachers be certified by anyone? dont know what that means

23.What is "rock and roll" and why is it called that? because its a old dance and they called it that hav you heard of hand jive thats what hand jives from

24.What is "Slow" disco? IS it the same as lyrical? No its slow dance which you do on your own round the room.

25. Can tap be done in a disco competition? What about ballet? only in a mix line dance.

26. Where are competitions held? Auditoriums? Hotels? sports halls.

27. Are more than one dance going on at once? How does that work? Is it in a "three ring circus" style or do a whole bunch of dancers just come out and dance to the same song at once? you are in catorgries and heats.

28. Are the dances choreographed or are they actually truly "freestyl" i.e. improv? they are freestyle dance so made up but you dance it as your own.

29. Are there rules about hair or make up? yes

30. What is it I've heard about "arm bands" are you required to wear them? no you can were them if they part of your costume
By alicelovestodacemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 960, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Mon Dec 08, 2008 05:11 PM
there are lots of questions here :L but i bet they are asked by alot of people x
By twinguys Comments: 1805, member since Sun Sep 21, 2008
On Thu Jan 01, 2009 05:45 PM
Hey
Q41.
I think most of the little ones know its a competition but not how much is involved
However, The amazing Blayne Leitch & Tamara Robertson as well as the brilliant Shannen Mac all from Quiliettis have proved that age is no barrier to their competitive spirit.
All of these amazing girls have won title after title from a very young age.
I have watched them practice & am amazed at their hard work & dedication.
Between them they have won nearly every title available!
Im sure there are more out there
Do you know any of these amazing tiny dancers
By dancingkatieee_x Comments: 23, member since Sat Jan 17, 2009
On Tue Jan 20, 2009 09:37 AM
^^ You can see it on video on like, YouTube. If you type in disco kid or freestyle disco dancing or something, there are videos from comps and festivals. Also, what is tumbling?
xx
By K_kirsty Comments: 27, member since Sat Mar 07, 2009
On Tue Mar 31, 2009 01:52 PM
this must of taken you ages. thanks for it though x
By graceful94 Comments: 46, member since Fri Jan 30, 2009
On Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:43 AM
I never knew there was so much to know about disco, this is very interesting! Thanks for posting
Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch