Forum: General / Tap / Tap - Advanced

Does anyone know any advanced warm-ups?
By julesloves2dance
On Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:51 PM

Hey I was just wondering if anyone knows any advanced tap warm-ups. Thanks!

4 Replies to Does anyone know any advanced warm-ups?

re: Does anyone know any advanced warm-ups?
By Jazzler
On Sun Oct 10, 2004 06:45 AM
I don't know if this will be of any help, but what I usually do for my advanced tap class as well as my other classes is work out a warm up that is like a short 3 minute routine which can be done to any song of choice. Within the routine I like to incorporate Cramp rolls, Time steps and breaks, Traveling cramp rolls, cincinnati, etc.. Warm ups don't necessarily have to be super difficult, just challanging enough for the mind and a good way of getting those feet in motion.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Oct 15, 2004 05:51 PM
We start out by learning a single elemnt and how we can incroprate it into other moements. Like shuffle toe. Then we do it with buffalo, irish, etc. Or work with backwards shuffles. Then to really get us warmed up ee use the time steps. Single, double, triple, stomp single, stomp double, stomp triple, traveling single, traveling double, traveling triple. We start out to some slow music and gradualy work our ways up.
By lcg101
On Sat Oct 16, 2004 02:56 PM
The warmup I get every week in class is about 20 minutes for a 1 hour class, and normally that covers it. I'm trying to develop my own warm up, and it will most likely be about the same length and include all the steps mentioned above.
Adv. Tap Warm ups
By cdtagirl
On Tue Nov 30, 2004 09:56 AM
I have been teaching tap for over 25 years and what I do is use this time to warm up basic elements and learn to work with various rhythms. so I pick an intersting piece and start with ball-taps and do something that compliments the music like 1234, &5&6&7&8, 1&a2, 3&a4, 5&a6, dig heel-drop to change feet. I do these types of exercises en croix alternating feet to also work balance. The speed depends on the levels of the students and the rhythm I've created to the song selected. When I repeat the side work after derriere I do nerve beats for 8 counts on each foot.

Then for shuffles I might do some variation like brush frt, back, frt, back, shuffle, hold, shuffle, hold, dble shuffle x 3, dig heel-drop to change feet. 1,2,3,4 &5 hold 6, &7 hold 8, 1&12, 3&14, 5&16, 78. Dble shuffles eventually are one per beat of music a&a1, a&a2... fun but tough to do clearly...

Next I will work on a variation of heel-dig to brush back to develop quick ankles (like paradiddles) to work speed and clarity and to maintain and develop strength for pickups etc.

Then I start to get into small travel footwork for articulation but additionally increasing the heart rate until we get going on a routine or across the room combos...

Hope this gives you a starting place!!! CDTAGIRL

ReplySendWatch