Feature: General / Agents

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Agents
Dance Agencies in LA: Who, What, Where are they? (karma: 1)
By AudreyChristine Comments: 13, member since Tue Mar 06, 2001
On Thu Mar 22, 2001 07:34 PM
For those aspiring professional dancers who have requested information regarding what, who, and where are reputable dance agencies in Los Angeles...

For those aspiring professional dancers who have requested information regarding what, who, and where are reputable dance agencies in Los Angeles: (in alphabetical order)

1.) Bobby Ball Agency (BBA)

4342 Lankershim Blvd

North Hollywood, CA 91602

2.) Dorothy Day Otis Partners (DDO)

215 S. La Cienega Blvd

Beverly Hills, CA

ddoagency.com

(* DDO is having an open dance audition this Saturday, March 24th at Debbie Reynolds Studio of Dance, 818.985.3193)

3.) Kazarian, Spencer & Assoc. (KSA)

11365 Ventura Blvd, Ste. 100/Box 7403

Studio City, CA 91604

ksawest.com

Please read the following advice:

Do not, under any circumstances, pay anyone any amount of money to audition for an agency, or to sign with an agency!! This is how it works: You audition formally for the prospective dance agent, or otherwise (meaning that maybe you've already gotten a professional dance job, the dance agent has seen you dance, he/she likes you and they ask you to sign without auditioning for them), they select you, you sign a formal contract, you get professional pictures taken, they call you with various audition notices (which the best jobs are almost ALWAYS closed to dancers with agents ONLY), you audition and you either get the/a job or not.

I strongly advise people of all ages to go visit the websites of DDO and KSA to see what professional pictures look like versus a photograph you would take of yourself in your dining room or out on the patio. (Believe me there's a difference, and dance agents/choreographers/casting people know the difference. Don't spend a lot of money on professional pictures until after you have signed with a dance agent. Actually, I advise you not to spend any money on pictures, save it all for when you sign because the cost for really good pictures is extraordinary, plus you have to account for touch-ups and printing costs, not to mention printing up your resume.

If you are asked to provide the prospective dance agents with a picture at their auditions, bring a good, simple and fresh picture of yourself that emphasizes your face, personality, body (only if you're in great shape!), and general positive energy. Ladies, please leave the 3rd-rate "Penthouse" sex picture at home for your boyfriends, agents only keep these kinds of pictures to take back to the office afterwards to laugh at them. And gentlemen, if you "play for the other team", no problem (about 75% of male dancers do in LA), but put a little bit more testosterone in your photographs and try not to make it so much "Just Jack".

Don't call the agencies bothering them with repetitive questions such as "How do I get into dance?", "Where can I go for classes?", and "Can I have an appointment to see someone about getting an agent?" NO, NO, NO! These are busy people. First visit the websites, DDO actually posts their open-call auditions. Then if you must call, only ask them two questions: First, "Can I speak to someone in the dance department", followed by "When are you having your next open-call auditions for dancers?" That's it! No more questions needed! The rest is about you getting into class for the formal training, getting out into those dance clubs at night (if your more hip-hop, but you still need formal, technical training in LA), dropping those extra pounds (you cannot get around that one), and saving your money for your pictures when you get signed.

You could be adventurous and get pictures without being signed, in that case I would call the dance agencies and ask for a referral to one of THEIR photographers, not someone you choose out of the phone book!

If you're not going to actually audition soon for any dance agents, I would at least go to the audition and check it out, see what's up and who's there. Expose yourself to what is to come. I hope this helps some of you. I wish you all the best.

27 Replies to Dance Agencies in LA: Who, What, Where are they?

dance afencies
By heather (unregistered )
On Fri Mar 23, 2001 10:08 AM
This is a really informative article. What about agencies on the east coast (more specifically, the New England area)?
Dance Agencies: Reply to Heather
On Sat Mar 24, 2001 12:32 PM
Heather, let me work on that. I'll get back you.
Dance Agencies
By Robyn (unregistered )
On Sun Mar 25, 2001 09:38 PM
How about agencies in the south. Around S. Carolina, N. Carlona, Florida?!? I may be moving to NY soon, but I'm still not sure. If you could let me know of any, I would appreciate it.
thanks
robyndchildress@yahoo.com
Good To Know About This...
By myxxman2 Comments: 10, member since Fri Oct 20, 2000
On Mon Mar 26, 2001 11:37 PM
A minute ago I was just clueless about gettin an agent. After reading this, I learned how things work and how to be carefull not to get a fake agent. Thank you so much for posting this, I'm sure lots of unsigned dancers will totally learn from this including myself. Thanks also for naming some of the agencies.
To Heather, Robyn and Myxxman2
By AudreyC (unregistered )
On Tue Mar 27, 2001 07:27 PM
I posted "Dance Agencies: Part II" up under the Agents category. It was a long message, so hopefully it will be approved and posted by tomorrow.
thanx for the info!
By DraGonX Comments: 10, member since Tue Mar 27, 2001
On Wed Mar 28, 2001 12:16 AM
hey i read your article, and it put chills up my spine because i was thiking of just that. packing my bags and headin off to LA, KISSIN MY MOMZ GOODBYE AND GRABBIN 2 FREINDS AND GETTIN THE HELL OUT of this dead end town, and that story just put a little extra boost in my confidence, and i truly thank you for that. I am a skilled B-boy and plan to make it big one day, and you just contrubuted..hehe..thanx audrey
y/f
chris wood
Reply to DragGonX/Chris
By AudreyC (unregistered )
On Wed Mar 28, 2001 11:39 AM
If you're a skilled B-boy then don't waste anytime, get out there! If you move out to LA by this September then you can attend the 2001 American Street Dance Championships hosted by Cresendo ("www.streetdance.net"), it's a great place to network, meet some old/new names, and see who's doing what. You should also call the agencies and ask them if they know when/where is the next "Choreographer's Ball" (a monthly event where choreographer's showcase their stuff using working dancers). Then, of course, aside from taking class (should you decide to), going to the clubs is a must. Are you "old school"? If you move to New York try Jazzy J at BDC. If you move to LA call around and see if Bradley Rapier (TripleThreat) teaches class anywhere, he's the founder of the "Groovaloos". You can also try Terry Bixler (TripleThreat/New World Dance). Both he and Jazzy J were the original/ founding members of the L.A. City Rockers.

Good Luck.
thanks!!!
By tiffany (unregistered )
On Sat Apr 28, 2001 11:45 AM
thank you very much for this type of info! its helps a lot! well what about contract dealers or record dealers, i mean i know there are a lot of them in new york but me and four other girls have a contract deal w/ some jysi from minnisota but i'm not for sure if she is for real or just a fake....so i was just wondering for some places in the new york area which might give us a contract.....you can e-mail me at Tiffy1102@msn.com thank you very very much!!!!
Are there any Agencies closer?
By KoiFish Comments: 8, member since Mon Apr 30, 2001
On Tue May 01, 2001 09:57 AM
I you could send or post me a list of Dance Agencies that are in he San Francisco to Sacramento area, it would be most helpful.
I would appreciate it.
Thank You
NEED INFO!
By BORICUA Comments: 7, member since Thu Jun 07, 2001
On Thu Jun 07, 2001 05:50 PM
IVE BEEN EVEY DANCE SINCE I WAS 5 BUT MY PASSION AND MY STRENGHTH IS HIP-HOP COULD YOU PLEASE GIVE ME ANY INFO YOU CAN ON AGENTS OR AUDITIONS IN THE LA COUNTY(FOR HIP-HOP)THANK YOU.
OH MY GOSH THANK YOU SO MUCH!
By SugDanc8 Comments: 49, member since Wed Jun 27, 2001
On Sun Aug 05, 2001 08:34 PM
you helped me alot thanks! Now im taking dance classes at Milleunium... people THEY ROCK!
Know of any agents in hong kong
By mbdancer Comments: 52, member since Mon Oct 29, 2001
On Sat Dec 22, 2001 04:44 AM
Hi,

I live in hong kong. I've been dancing prof. for the last 7 years in south africa and i would love to do the same in hong kong. Do you know of any agents in hong kong

thank you
natasha
Great 411
By Persistentdancer Comments: 211, member since Thu Dec 13, 2001
On Fri Jan 04, 2002 05:05 PM
I like the information posted. I was wondering how do you know what dance studios are good to get noticed at?
re: Dance Agencies in LA: Who, What, Where are they?
By krazylady14 Comments: 104, member since Wed Dec 12, 2001
On Mon Jan 21, 2002 02:15 PM
Bless your heart for the info!!! You helped me sooo much!!! I'm gonna be at those auditons now! Thank you sooo much!
Love, *Tammy
agents
By Tweety3 Comments: 48, member since Mon Dec 17, 2001
On Fri Jan 25, 2002 12:11 PM
WHAT ARE SOME GOOD DANCE AGENTS IN SAN DIEGO OR LA? HELP ME OUT YA, BECAUSE I WILL BE MOVING THERE MAY 12. EMAIL ME OR SEND A PRIVATE MESSAGE.THANKS
AGENTS
By Tweety3 Comments: 48, member since Mon Dec 17, 2001
On Sun Feb 03, 2002 06:17 PM
HI MY NAME IS STAR AND I AM LOOKING FOR A DNCE AGENT IN CALI. CAN ANYONE HELP ME? THANKS
Re: Response from AudreyC
On Tue Feb 19, 2002 07:41 PM
Dear Dancers, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply to your posted messages. (Time goes by so quickly.) Here are some responses to a few of your inquiries:

To Tiffany (April, 28, 2001); I don't know the first thing about searching for, or making legitimate record deals with record companies in NYC or anywhere else for that matter. But it's a good question. And I'm sorry, I wouldn't even begin to know where to start researching that subject. Good luck.

To Koifish (May 01, 2001); I don't know anything about dance agencies in the San Francisco Bay area, but I would suggest you read both "Dance Agencies: Part I & II" again so you can decide what kind of dance you want to do and where (in what city) you want to do it. If you've asked yourself these questions and have your answers and you still want a dance agent in San Francisco then your going to have to do your own research. If you want to do the kind of dance you see in videos, then.... read the two articles that I posted again. Good Luck.

To Boricua (June 07, 2001); If you want to get information about dance agents and auditions in LA County....then I suggest you read both articles "Dance Agencies: Part I & II" again. Almost all the "starter kit" information you need is in those postings. Good Luck.

To SugDanc8 (Aug 05, 2001); Congratulations!! You read the articles, got yourself in class and you're learning SOOOO MUCH I'm sure!! Try the Edge too if you already haven't. Some people prefer one to the other, but you should still give it a try. These aren't political parties, they're dance studios, don't let other people's biases discourage you from experimenting and taking class from other teachers at other studios.

* For dancers who are dedicated and putting in serious time, and consistently moving up dance levels in class (in other words, you are seeing consistent improvement in your dancing skills), you should probably start to consider becoming a dance teacher in a smaller "local/neighborhood" studio to supplement your income, but more importantly, to enhance your own dance skills even more. You'd be surprised how much teaching (at any level and age) can be extremely instructive for you, the teacher.

To mbdancer (Dec 22, 2001); I'm sorry I do not know anything about dance agents in Hong Kong. Good luck.

To persistentdancer (Jan 04, 2002); You shouldn't be going to dance studios to "get noticed", that's a fallacy if anyone has told you that's how it works. Now, I'm not saying that there aren't politics in dancing, of course there are, but your primary concern should be to go to dance studios to take class. If you happen to strike up a friendship with a credible teacher who has "connections", don't think you're going to get a job in a JLo video just because you guys went out for Starbuck's. (AND PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, DON'T SLEEP WITH A TEACHER IF YOU THINK, OR THEY'VE PROMISED YOU THEY'RE GOING TO GIVE YOU A DANCE JOB! Yuck.) Aside from the .05% of dancers that have actually gotten jobs from being "noticed" in a dance studio, you have to go to auditions like everyone else to get "THE JOB". If you don't have a dance agent, get "noticed" at an audition for a dance agent, such as,

DDO Agency-auditions
Saturday, May 18th, 2002
Debbie Reynold's Dance Studio

But first I would suggest you reread both articles "Dance Agencies: Part I & II". READ THE ARTICLES, ALL THE INFORMATION IS THERE. Good luck.

To krazylady14 (Jan 21, 2002); Congratulations!!! If you're auditioning and/or got yourself an agent, please post your story on this site to help other dancers learn from your experiences.

* And if you don't have an agent yet, I hope your searching the "Dramalogue" for open-call auditions!! You can find those at any 7/11 convenience store in LA I think. Good Luck.

To tweety3 (February, 2002); I'm sorry I don't know of any dance agencies in San Diego, but San Diego isn't too far, bribe one of your friends to drive you to an and an audition in LA (like the one I listed above for DDO), it's only 2 1/2 hours away. Visit the websites for the dance agencies!! Look in the "Dramalogue" or other entertainment related periodicals for open-call audition postings. Good Luck.

I really do wish the best of luck to all of you who are out there in class and auditioning! It's a tough life, but you're out there DOING IT!! Only when you're young people, only when you're young!

AudreyC.
Imma Dancer !!!!
By BorinquenaDancer Comments: 13, member since Sun Mar 31, 2002
On Sun Mar 31, 2002 02:30 AM
Hy, my name is Johanna... I hear about all these agents in L.A> but what about Sacramento...I just wanna make my dream come true plese get back to me as soon as possible thanx....
I need to find a new agent!
By alive2dance Comments: 55, member since Sat Mar 30, 2002
On Fri Apr 12, 2002 11:14 AM
I currently belong to a talent agency in Toronto, but it's not as good as I thought it would be. Could you give me some names of some really good talent agencies in the Toronto area, I'm looking specifically for dance!
Thank you
Nicole*
HELP!
By NexWade Comments: 71, member since Sun May 12, 2002
On Sun May 12, 2002 06:34 PM
Ok, so I get called from BBA to go to an audition for BBA and at the time I didn't know what that was.So I said, "no that's ok, but thanks".Then, later on I found out what it was and now I do want to go audition.What do I do.I tried calling and I get nothing...
By Barbarabcn Comments: 3, member since Sun May 11, 2008
On Sun May 11, 2008 05:06 PM
Awesome , thanks a lot for the info , very real !
By FionaRock Comments: 2, member since Thu Jul 31, 2008
On Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:00 AM
Hi I was wondering if by any chance you knew of Dance Agents in dublin????
By Duo Comments: 4, member since Thu Jun 04, 2009
On Thu Jun 04, 2009 02:00 AM
You are right on the money! This post is very informative and helpful. Thank you for posting this information.

Comment #8763303 deleted
Removed by oz_helen (35388) on 2010-01-15 21:50:52 Free advertising is not permitted on the boards. Please contact the administration for advertising options.

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch