Forum: Europe / Europe - General

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
What Makes American Stand Out? (karma: 1)
By ChewyKittens
On Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:22 PM

In European countries...what makes Americans stand out? (Besides language barriers, or any American flags on their clothing, etc.)

26 Replies to What Makes American Stand Out?

re: What Makes American Stand Out? (karma: 1)
By Etoile_Filantemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 03, 2004 03:31 AM
arrogance maybe?
re: What Makes American Stand Out?
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Nov 05, 2004 02:40 PM
I don't know that I can even pin it down, but there's something.

Clothing, hairstyle, the way they walk...I don't know, I can spot an American in Spain instantly.
By Acrothiel
On Sat Nov 06, 2004 05:22 AM
I agree with Clara. No offence...this is not everyone but too many Americans are like "We are the best" and you can see that in every situation (I live in town with a couple of famous tourist attractions, one of them are the Rhein Falls. In summer I sell tickets there for boattrips and it is quite funny watching the tourists. I really got an eye for nationalities there)
But fortunately there are also many Americans that I really like. (Like you guys here :))
By nanersmom
On Thu Nov 18, 2004 06:18 PM
My my Clara. Aren't we being arrogant!?!
By alleycatmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:11 PM
Normally the accent. Because we can hear you yell before we see you :) I think that's part of hat we find arrogant too. I'm a loud talker myself but yelling AND being very very straight foreward about everything can get a bit much for us europeans.

Most americans i've met are nice, normal people with weird jeans though (and white sneakers!!!) Yes, they are mostly middle aged.
By nell_1985
On Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:44 AM
They have Bush for president
and this time they actually voted him
By ChewyKittens
On Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:57 PM
I know, my god. Why, why, why would anyone vote for Bush? I'm glad I'm originally from Canada. I should just move back there.
By Sparkz_NzPremium member
On Sat Dec 25, 2004 04:09 PM
Edited by Sparkz_Nz (29881) on 2004-12-25 16:01:52
wow nanersmum. I think it's incredibly rude and arrogant that you have come into two threads in the EUROPEAN forum, and attacked our members for answering a simple question as best they can. They were asked for what they saw and replied. Now you come in an attack them for answering!

I think THAT is incredibly arrogant, rude and thoughtless. The posts weren't meant to offend people, just offer them a different point of view, but it seemsyou can't open your mind far enough to realise they aren't attacking anyone, let alone you personally. You are the only one attacking people.
By nanersmom
On Sat Dec 25, 2004 04:59 PM
Edited by nanersmom (99128) on 2004-12-25 16:53:35 forgot to say how cute the baby was!!!!!
I call 'em as I see them. Sorry! I deal with Europeans on a daily basis where I work, and they stand out just as bad as anybody else ( yes- including Americans) in a new enviroment. But I also realize that if it wasn't for Europeans, I wouldn't have a job. The economy of where I work depends on them. I know there is quite a lot of American dollars spent over in Europe.

As for looking in your PRECIOUS European boards, my husband and I where planning a 2 month trip to see Europe before my cancer got to bad for me to travel. I was looking to see if there was any recomendation as were to visit, besides the usual places ( I was interested in Eastern Europe), when this post caught my eye. But after the way I have been treated on this board alone, I guess the Orient will be a better place to visit.

Oh, very cute kitten picture Chewykitten!!! Cats are my favorite!! I ahve three that I think are worst then kids at time!!!!
By ItchyTorsomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:36 PM
Well...Americans tend to wear blue jeans, simple tucked-in shirts, and white sneakers+socks. Americans are extremely loud compared to Europeans, which is not a bad thing at all. I come from a very international family so I know a lot about different cultures etc. I prefer non-europeans in that sense, as they are warm and friendly, unlike most Europeans who take a while to warm up to you.
On Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:53 PM
Lol, perhaps americans are a bit defensive aswell, Sparks_NZ isn't even european herself. But no worries, the orient has alot to offer, and i would never recomend someone not going there. You'll find cultural differences anywhere you choose to go though, probably larger there than in Europe. Unfortunately we don't have a large eastern european community here, so i don't know if there are alot of people able to give any specific advice, although we've traveled there now and then.

I agree with the poster above though, people are pretty cold over here, i can see how it takes getting used to. It can get pretty lonely now and then because strangers will rarely approach you and it's hard t get to know new people unless you take initative to it.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:44 PM
I think the American perception of arrogance is a strange thing...as a person, I'm the farthest thing in the world from being arrogant, yet people on this site hear that I'm American, and assume that I'm as arrogant as the day is long. And, you can't help it - it's just the automatic assumption.

If I had to pick one thing that I would think would make Americans stand out, I would say physical size - we tend to be larger then most other cultures, I believe.

Too much fast food, not enough activity. Gets you every time.

:)
By amarathPremium member
On Tue Feb 01, 2005 09:43 PM
In some areas, the standing around and gawking with a tour guide tends to point them out.

Other than that ... I don't know. My family always seems to come across as like ... Czech. It's really weird; we have all these random Eastern European women always come up to talk to us, and my parents are always like, in French or German, sorry ... we don't speak ... So they just bond with my great aunt instead. (She's the good little immigrant kid - speaks 'em all.)
By calicocat
On Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:01 AM
Edited by calicocat (121154) on 2005-02-02 10:56:00 wanted to reply to the stand out part
I am American and very proud of that fact. I was always tought "AmerICAN" I CAN! We are not arragant we are just as Europeans are and that could be self confident or no confidence at all. I know that I am proud of what my country stands for and that is Freedom. We all seem to take for granted who we are and where we are from. Being not only American but being a New Yorker (Yes, I live in the city) I am proud every day that I have the right, the will and the freedom to walk my city streets. I look at the Statue of Liberty every single day from my windom and I realize America is the greatest place to be. If that makes me arragant then so be it.
Everyone seems to stand in a country that is not your home country. Are Americans suppose to blend in while on vacation? If that is the case then all European tourist who come into NYC should also blend in as they stick out like sore thumbs by the way they dress, look and act. Not that it is bad but it goes around the same way.
By nanersmom
On Wed Feb 02, 2005 05:44 PM
BRAVO!!!!
By Mandy1313
On Fri Feb 18, 2005 03:00 PM
Edited by Mandy1313 (121210) on 2005-02-18 15:01:33
Edited by Mandy1313 (121210) on 2005-02-18 15:05:09
Ok, so as an American I must say that I find that many Americans do stand out in other countries. When I've been in Europe I can frequently pick out Americans before I even hear them speak. It's not surprising, there's an entire ocean between us. However, I must explain the reason that Americans tend to get so defensive on this topic. When I have been in Europe and tell people that I am American I have frequently been told, "really? you can't tell". This comment in itself is just an innocent observation. However, what always follows is "I mean, it's a good thing you can't tell".

Frankly I understand that perhaps Americans do stick out in other countries because of our cultural differences. But is it bad to seem "American"? When my sister spent a year in England she actually started telling people she was Canadian because the reactions she got from saying she was American were so negative. When I went to England to visit, I heard numerous people openly say "I don't like Americans." I don't feel that I should have to hide my identity. I'm not saying America is perfect, but I still don't feel that I should have to pretend I'm Canadian. There are many wonderful countries to live in, and America is one of them. It is not the "best" place to live because what's "best" for each person is different. Being "American" isn't any better than being Italian, French or Japanese, but it isn't any worse either.

So basically, yes some Americans do stick out. But if it's because we're arrogant why is it that we stick out so much less in Canada? I understand that we may stick out like a sore thumb when visiting your countries, but the US is a big place so please get a chance to know us!!! Not EVERYONE in the USA voted for George Bush. Many Americans were even born in other countries. :D I would like to emphasize that I am NOT condemning this thread. I recognize that we do stand out in other countries for whatever reason. I am merely stating an American's point of view on the topic so perhaps we can all learn from eachother.
By Bellisima
On Wed Feb 23, 2005 09:04 AM
First of all I'd like to clarify that I am indeed European, not only that I'm Mediterranean.

Personally I do think that Americans stand out in a crowd just as Eurpoeans would stand out in America. Its normal. We are from different cultures, its only normal.

I'd also like to state that some Europeans, such as us Mediterraneans, are quite loud, warm and friendly people. I myself can be quite loud and very talkative.

Just thought I'd give my opinion ;)
re: What Makes American Stand Out? (karma: 1)
By imadanseurPremium member
On Fri Mar 04, 2005 07:50 AM
Okay, sorry for invading the European forum...I am highly amused that you all think wearing white sneakers are funny. What color sneakers do they wear in Europe? I don't really care if I stand out either...I haven't traveled out of the country too much, but I think generally people from other countries are willing to help us out when we are so far away from home. My parents travel to Germany about every 5 years and don't speak much German. They don't have an unkind word to say about anyone they have met there.

*Looks at white sneakers and doesn't have the urge to laugh...am I missing something?*

By the way...not all of us voted for Bush!! ;)
On Fri Mar 11, 2005 06:18 AM
Sneakers in general are made for jogging in my opinion. And sure, they are comfortable, but there are many kinds of comfortable shoes. And there is just something about those all-white runnershoes that i only see on middleaged tourists who never ran anywhere the past years that makes me gag a little. You see people wearing sneakers here too, but not normal young people.

I just want to emphasize that it's not like we think all americans are a certain way just because some fit a stereotype. It's not like you don't have stereotypes for us aswell.
On Fri Mar 11, 2005 07:21 AM
i agree with alley, it's the wearing running shoes when not running that makes americans stand out, to me anyways, for example with jeans.

when are you ever going to do sports in jeans? Why wear your sports shoes with them then?

haha

oh well, theres always small things that make people stand out, to me, europeans stand out because they a) wear sandals and socks or b) wear flash ski jackets, when all the locals are not bothering, as its really not chilly enough to wear a coat.

(for all those that thought I was commenting AGAINST americans, I'm just commenting on different fashion trends in general :))
By Cindy3
On Fri Mar 11, 2005 07:46 AM
I live in the US and have gone to Europe a lot, and the Americans really stand out, so much I am aware when I see them. Much of the time they have cameras around their necks, are gawking, are making what I feel are rude or condescending remarks, and in countries where they do not speak English, they make no attempt to communicate, even to learn the few polite words that are easy to learn in any language, they think that since everyone is speaking a language other than English that nobody can understand THEM, so they make the most stupid remarks you could imagine. Also, they want to stay in their comfy zone and seek out American fast food restaurants, ugh, and the company of other Americans.

A big enouh number of American visitors visit with an attitude of arrogance. It really makes me ashamed of my country, and that is one reason I never come close to a hotel that is popular with Americans.

I really feel awful at the amount of things many American visitors are missing, just because of the way they see the rest of the world. Please be assured that some of us visit to really be there, to drink up all that Europe can offer, and to learn and experience the magnificent culture and viewpoints that are different from the ones we come with.
By nanersmom
On Fri Mar 11, 2005 04:08 PM
In regards to Cindy3, that is why I wanted to visit Euprope before it was to late to. My husband asked me basically what my dying wish was, and I have always loves anything European. I wanted to see where my grandmother was born in Austria, and see the Eastern Eruropean countries because for so long we are taught that they were " the bad guys" for beleiving in Communism (?). But all I have ever seen was that they are people who are proud of the heritage (like Americans). I wanted to see where the heritage started, so I looked at these boards and all I saw was Americans=Bad. You can't blame me for being upset. They don't know me, but because I was American I was automatically a bad person.

As for wearing tennis shoes with jeans, I know with me I broke my right ankle about 5 years ago, and I am real unsteady in heals now, so I am sort of stuck in heels.
On Fri Mar 11, 2005 05:00 PM
^ so maybe its that americans don't wear leather shoes? they think the only alternatives are sneakers or heels?

interesting...
By nanersmom
On Fri Mar 11, 2005 05:27 PM
Are you the type of person that the following saying applies to

" it's my way or the byway"?

Cause it sures sounds like it to me! Please forgive anyone and everyone that has every worn tennis shoes with jeans.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch