Forum: General / Hip Hop / Locking

wrist rolls?
By iH0p
On Sun Oct 24, 2004 05:43 PM

in locking do you ever do more than one wrist roll like before you go into a lock or a point? or is it strictly just one around the ears like you normally see?

iH0p

14 Replies to wrist rolls?

wrist rolls!
By Boogiewalker34
On Sun Oct 31, 2004 03:39 AM
Why, of course! There's ALWAYS only ONE wrist roll into an Uncle Sam! If you break this hallowed law of locking, the funkstyles deities will be angered, and will strike you with a lightning bolt from the heavens faster than you can say "scoobot"... :P

no, I'm just kiddin'. I've seen cats do double wrist rolls into punches, into locks, into blasts, into handslaps, into pounds, into floorslaps, etc. etc.

There's no set "rule" for combining a wrist roll or multiple wrist rolls and an Uncle Sam point... unless you're doing a locking choreography and the choreographer is REALLY anal about you nailing his or her routine just right... ;)

The guy who's captain of the Culture Shock Los Angeles Locking Team sometimes does continuous wrist rolls while pacing or boogie-walking, etc.

Anyway, play with your wrist rolls (practice singles, doubles, triples, continuous and then combine them with other hand jives... you'll come up with some pretty dope combos that way... it'll be funky like WFUNK!...)

have fun!

G-boogie, the boogiewalker...
re: wrist rolls?
By iH0p
On Sun Oct 31, 2004 09:54 AM
what other hand jives?

iH0p
Tisk tisk mah gurl!
By Invent
On Sun Oct 31, 2004 01:34 PM
"I've seen cats do double wrist rolls into punches, into locks, into blasts, into handslaps, into pounds, into floorslaps, etc. etc."
Those are the "other hand jives".
Hope u been having a good day!!! Mucho grande.
Invent
By iH0p
On Sun Oct 31, 2004 02:07 PM
oooooo that makes sense lol. soo wuts a blast?

iH0p

and dont tsk me :P i told u i still have loads to learn. i hope ur having a good day too. love ya.
Blasts
By Boogiewalker34
On Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:25 AM
Blasts are usually a prep for a lock, but not exclusively that. To execute a basic blast, you step together and throw both of your arms up, bent at the elbows 90*, as if you're flexing your biceps (think weight-lifting). You can have your hands open, in blades (like as in tutting), in fists, loose and floppy or however you would like. From there, you can use your blast as a prep for just about any other move; you can go from a blast into a lock, into a scooby-doo, into a campbellock, into handjives, into an eagle drop, into a stop-&-go, etc. etc. etc.

When you execute a blast, be sure to make the movement very strong and big. If you execute a really small, weak blast, it won't be much of a "blast", now will it? This movement is often used as a flashy way to prep for you next movement or series of movements. It's an simple, yet explosive and entertaining way to get peoples' attention when you're doing a routine or freestyling...

Hope that helps. Have a great week!

G-boogie, the boogiewalker...
By Invent
On Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:33 AM
huh...i thought those were Throwbacks...
Different names, different places.
Invent
By MrKomedy
On Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:22 PM
Those are called Throw Ups or Throw Backs.

And you can do as many wrist rolls as your little heart desires.

~Mr.Komedy
Lockism
www.lockism.com
Correction appreciated...
By Boogiewalker34
On Fri Nov 05, 2004 05:35 PM
Yeah, in our locking sessions, our instructors call them "blasts". They're both students of Tony Tee's (the guy who owns the studio where Don Campbell currently teaches) and they've been studying with Tony and Don for several years, so I just assumed that what they said was what the move is called.

But yeah, different names... Zulu Gremlin calls them "double wrist flicks" in one of his master classes that I have on DVD. But hey, you learn something new everyday, right?

education: corrects ignorance.

peace,

G-boogie, the boogiewalker
By DizzyD
On Sun Jan 02, 2005 09:10 PM
wish i knew more what u guys were talking about. i'm in iowa and am just trying to teach myself all this stuff from watching videos and reading lots of forums. none of my friends are really into this but i enjoy learning and reading all your stuff. i like learning all this because i feel too repetive at dances so it's nice to pick up stuff to do from reading your stuff. thanks for helping everyone out.
By Boogiewalker34
On Sun Jan 02, 2005 09:59 PM
Hey Dizzy,

To see some examples of what we're talking about, visit style2ouf.com and download the video of Power Battle 2003 Locking Final from their funkstyles section. It features Jimmy Soul and P-Lock versus Gemini and Jeremy. You can see almost all the different locking moves we've discussed in this forum discussion demonstrated in that video.

Also, go to bboy.org and check out the "Learn How to Breakdance Step-by-Step" DVD. On the first DVD "Basic Moves", Zulu Gremlin, an OG bboy/funkstyler, teaches an awesome masterclass where he lays out almost all the basic locking movements in a very clear and easy-to-understand (and fairly easy to replicate) way. Besides that, you can buy videos of some of the Electric Boogaloos (Skeeter Rabbit, Suga Pop, etc.) locking off of mrwiggleshiphop.net

Ok, well, good luck keepin' the funk alive in Iowa! Happy New Year!

peace,

G-boogie, the boogiewalker
By TrippyJing
On Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:40 PM
That battle cracked me up, especially when Jimmy and P-Lock did the Fusion Dance. I wonder how many people caught the DBZ reference?
By pneuma180
On Wed Jan 05, 2005 03:29 PM
i think im going to learn to lock soon...
By DizzyD
On Wed Jan 05, 2005 06:27 PM
yah i saw that fusion dance! that was hillarious!
By Bboyflix
On Sat Jan 29, 2005 07:11 PM
U can do as many wrist rolls as u want

i love lockin ...

ReplySendWatch