Forum: Highland / Highland - Hornpipe

Washing a HP Outfit?
By kiltie6
On Sat Oct 30, 2004 06:05 PM

How do you wash a hornpipe outfit? Machine wash/hang dry/machine dry/dry-cleaning? I believe the outfit in question is stretch gabardine. Thanks!

5 Replies to Washing a HP Outfit?

re: Washing a HP Outfit?
By Katy_Liz
On Sat Oct 30, 2004 07:45 PM
I've washed my daughter's... it was stretch poly. Just take off the tie and dickie and it should be fine. If you're concerned about shrinkage, maybe hang to dry.
By celtic_reel
On Sat Oct 30, 2004 09:47 PM
Machine washing is fine for gabardine. Turn costume inside out, use gentle cycle, only a little detergent, and cold water. Put a few other lightweight, non-linty items in the load to avoid it getting smashed on one side of the dryer. Put on cool dry and pull the outfit out after 8-10 minutes. Hang dry the rest of the way.
By kiltie6
On Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:19 PM
Thanks! Just to be sure, my outfit is white with a dark blue collar--is this still ok?
By celtic_reel
On Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:13 AM
Even a white hornpipe with navy collar should be ok to wash in cold water, but you could test first by putting just the collar in some cold water and see if the water turns a little blue.
By FlingMom
On Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:46 PM
Edited by FlingMom (110984) on 2004-11-02 12:42:47 spelling mistake
If you're worried about the blue colour running into the white, soak the hornpipe outfit in salt water for about ten minutes before you wash on gentle cycle. The colour should'nt run then.

ReplySendWatch