re: So you want to be an Irish Dancer
By MrsFinnigan Comments: 8044, member since Mon Aug 12, 2002
On Wed Sep 09, 2009 09:34 PM
Here is yet another contribution to the subject:

hubpages.com . . .
By craigj3a2 Comments: 52, member since Sat Sep 06, 2008
On Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:26 AM
Is it difficult to do both Irish and Highland dance? I Highland dance but have always wanted to Irish dance especially hardshoe.
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4130, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Sat Mar 20, 2010 05:20 PM
all-about-irish-dancing.weebly.com
Thought this was pretty interesting!
By Irishdancers Comments: 21, member since Sat Mar 27, 2010
On Sat Mar 27, 2010 09:31 PM
Irish dancing is the coolest thing to do. Everyone is so nice and we always have a great time. Please join in on the best time of your life. Memories that will last forever.
By IrishDancer1495 Comments: 42, member since Sat Apr 03, 2010
On Sat Apr 03, 2010 06:15 PM
You're so right! When I first got together with my boyfriend, he's like, "Oh, you Riverdance? So cool!" I told him if he ever mistakes Irish dance for Riverdance again, I will break up with him. So far, he's been a smart person and not forgotten.
By ridrpac Comments: 120, member since Mon Jun 14, 2010
On Mon Jun 21, 2010 09:28 PM
Hi I am a novice competition Irish dancer! People often say that hardshoe is very much like tap dancing...... No it is not! Tap you are not including as many hops and your feet aren't turned out much. I have heard people say stuff like "irish dancers' make tappity noises". Incorrect!
By McConomy_Fan Comments: 76, member since Sat Jul 31, 2010
On Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:01 PM
I have been dancing for 8 years now, but decided to read this thread anyways. I wish I could have read this when I was just starting out because it would have been most helpful! Lots of good information for people who would like to know more about Irish dancing. But as a PC dancer who is halfway to OC, I would like to add that Solo costumes can now cost around $3000 depending on the dress maker and that another good site for buying dance shoes is www.rutherfordshoes.com
By KathyF Comments: 32, member since Tue Aug 03, 2010
On Tue Sep 28, 2010 08:24 PM
thank you for the pronunciations for this italian irish dancer! see, you don't have to be irish to be an irish dancer!
By IrishDancer1495 Comments: 42, member since Sat Apr 03, 2010
On Mon Oct 11, 2010 07:16 PM
You are so riught, I hate when people call it Riverdance and when some of my friends who do ballet tell me that my style has no turn-out.
By pointeprincessSDmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 515, member since Wed Jun 23, 2010
On Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:19 PM
I learned a bit of hardshoe the other month in a regular tap class, and boy was it fun! I've never done anything like that, and although my calves and heels were burning, I found it to be 1000 times more fun than tap!
By ukiecam Comments: 136, member since Sun Mar 11, 2012
On Tue Apr 10, 2012 07:19 PM
"The first time you see an Irish dance solo dress you'll probably either a.) laugh b.) scream c.) scream and laugh d.) run away or, e.) stand and stare for a really long time."

HAHA I had to laugh when I saw this because I am a Ukrainian dancer, and we have some pretty crazy costumes too, I know how you feel! However, It's really easy to find the rest of your group because none of the costumes are the same!

~Cam

Comment #9934413 deleted

By NoraStewart Comments: 26, member since Tue Aug 20, 2013
On Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:18 AM
There are many different types of Irish dancing, not just step dancing, which is the codified TCRG style of Irish dance that everyone assumes is the only type of Irish dancing and is outlined very well at the beginning of this thread.

Irish sean nos (old style) dancing is the oldest style of traditional solo dancing in Ireland and is loose, relaxed, rhythmic and most importantly, in time with and integrated with the music. Usually danced flat style with most work done on the heels rather than toes, but depends on the area that the dance comes from.

Irish set dancing - social dancing in groups of four couples dancing in a group of 8. Related to square dancing / quadrilles, this style of dance nearly died out in Ireland in the 1940's-1970s until it was revived again in the 1980's. Came from France originally, then to Britain and danced in the big houses in Ireland, where locals copied these dances and used their own steps (sean nos) and music to make it Irish. Flat shuffly style of dancing in most parts of Ireland, although some counties dance more on the balls of their feet.

Irish two hand dancing - couples dancing, usually waltzes, jigs, polkas and schottishes. Very popular in Co.Donegal and also making a revival in Ireland.

Irish ceili dancing - related to TCRG dancing, this was invented to keep Irish dancing alive and to try to replace Irish set dancing, which was seen as British. Danced in many different configurations - lines, circles, squares, etc - this style of dancing is danced on the balls of the feet -up high.

It's good to know more about Irish dancing - all types!
By leannescullion Comments: 13, member since Thu Aug 12, 2010
On Thu May 01, 2014 03:47 AM
I miss doing. Irish dancing so much, loved the dresses they wear!!!!
Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch