Forum: New Zealand / New Zealand - General

Looking to start dancing again - help wanted!
By JessieBo
On Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:20 AM

Hey,

I did Jazz for about 3-4 years (started when I was about 11) and then one year of Hip Hop when I was about 17.

Am now 20 and want to get back into dancing for fitness and enjoyment.

Just looking for any tips on what type of dancing would be best - and any good dance schools in (Central) Auckland.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Jess

2 Replies to Looking to start dancing again - help wanted!

re: Looking to start dancing again - help wanted!
By port_de_brasmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Nov 21, 2004 07:17 PM
I think jazz is the best one to get started back at and alot of places these days have alot of older classes and stuff
Im from Napier so i wouldnt know any places in Auckland but good luck
Luv port_de_bras
re: Looking to start dancing again - help wanted! (karma: 1)
By mellierose
On Thu Dec 09, 2004 04:54 PM
Edited by mellierose (115744) on 2004-12-09 16:48:05
Edited by mellierose (115744) on 2004-12-09 18:25:34
Have you tried the Peforming Arts School based at Western Springs College? They have an adults dance programme which usually offers beginners ballet, ballet 2, hip hop, contemporary, Pilates, street funk and contact improvisation. The teachers are really good, and the classes are aimed at adults (look under adult dance) The site should be updated before school goes back next February. You pay for a terms worth of classes at a time (9-10 weeks)
www.performingartsschoolofnz.co.nz
There is also City Dance on Queen St. This is run on an open class basis, where you either pay $10-12 a class or buy a concession card for 10 classes. They offer ballet at 3 levels, pointe, repetoire ballet, NYCB workout, body poppin,break dancecontemporary, flamenco, funk jazz, hip hop, salsa and samba!!! Which is a lot of variety!!!
Heres the timetable: www.citydance.co.nz . . .
I myself have done classes there and the teachers tend to be excellent. All the classes are aimed at adults and you get a variety of people from 16-60 y.o's
Good luck and do try to get back into dancing, once you've got the bug you can't let it go. Feel free to contact me (if you can, I am new)

ReplySendWatch