Forum: General / Reviews

alvin ailey
By KU_Ballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:09 AM

Renee Robinson from the Alvin Ailey Company taught at my modern class at the University of Kansas yesterday. It was so amazing. She's been with the company for 20 years and she was so beautiful to watch in their performance last night. They performed at the Lied Center. The men and women of the company were simply breathtaking. They performed Heart Song, Bounty Verses and Revelations. In Bounty Verses they used a compliation of songs and did a piece to a jazzy version of "Smells like Teen Spirit" by nirvana. It was really cool. And Revelations was amazing!!!! If you haven't seen them perform this piece live, you need to do it soon! I was so impressed but I guess they have to live up to Ailey name and legacy. Most of the company members have BFA's from Juilliard and studied at the Ailey School and became members of Ailey II before joining the company.

3 Replies to alvin ailey

re: alvin ailey
By Dancin_Babe
On Tue Dec 14, 2004 01:40 AM
for vce dance we had to study revelations and i found it so beautiful to see. i only saw it on video however, seeing it performed live would be fantastic! it must have been amazing to see
By Jaime_Lynnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Dec 14, 2004 09:53 PM
That would be so cool to see them perform. I've seen footage of some of the stuff they've done, and as we all know, it's amazing. For anyone who's interested, there's a really good article about Alvin Ailey in this month's Dance magazine.
By imadanseurPremium member
On Wed Dec 15, 2004 03:57 AM
I saw them last year on my birthday. We were in the 2nd row of the orchestra pit, and could see the ladies eyelashes we were so close. It was the best dance show I have seen in my life...and I go to a ton of them. It was breathtaking.

I was an assistant teacher for a semester at the school Clifton Brown attended. He's amazing, and it's so fun to see where he's gone from Phoenix!

ReplySendWatch