Forum: Ask a Teacher

Page:
Page 1 of 4: 1 2 3 4
Who can post in this forum... (karma: 7)
By imadanseurPremium member
On Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:38 AM
Made sticky by imadanseur (79325) on 2004-11-19 00:33:00
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2009-10-07 23:27:44 ..

The forum is called, "Ask a Teacher" and lately there has been an increased amount of responses to questions from many students. Sometimes you may think you have good information that you would like to share, but we currently do not have an "Ask a Student" board. Many people are coming here for advice from qualified, certified, or professional DANCE teachers with many years of experience. Please give them the chance to respond with their wisdom. I know many of you would like to be helpful, but this is not the appropriate area for your responses.

I also realize that other teachers feel they can post here too, but posting on this forum is for people that have experience teaching dance regularly. If you feel you have some helpful advice send a private message to the original poster.

Please follow the guidelines that the website has established.

The Mod Squad

83 Replies to Who can post in this forum...

re: Who can post in this forum...
By TumblinCutie
On Fri Nov 19, 2004 08:15 PM
Thanks for the reminder! I'm pretty sure I've posted here in response before, and I'll stop now. I guess you're right, and as I can't speak for everyone, I'll definitly speak for myself by saying I didn't really think about it! Sometimes, the desire to state your opinion and/or give advice is just too strong! lol. Seriously, though, thanks!

Love, Livia

By the way "Mod Sqaud" - that's cute :)
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Sun Nov 21, 2004 03:54 PM
I think if they say, "Not a teacher, but..." it should be fine. Many students have experiences that may help. I am a teacher but don't mind.
By jb_dancer_chicamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:15 PM
I have posted a couple responces because I teach as well as take student classes. I hope thats ok. Is it??
jb_dancer
By glitterfairyPremium member
On Wed Dec 08, 2004 03:58 AM
I certainly hope so, because I'm in the same boat - I take classes as a student far more often that I teach classes.

I think that if you can shed some light on an issue, that it is appreciated and welcomed. However, some students just really, really shouldn't be answering questions on this forum. Another option for non-teacher is to pm responses, I guess...
On Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:41 AM
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2004-12-09 11:37:32 Added thought.
I think some young teachers have good things to offer, and I know adult teachers who shouldn't be teaching ANYTHING much less giving advice. I know glitterfairy has a wealth of knowledge and I am amazed how young she is. Quite a fabulous teacher in the making. So, younger teachers walk a fine line on this board. I know everyone wants to be helpful, but don't post if you aren't 100% sure about what you are talking about. Any advice we feel isn't appropriate will be deleted. I think you can agree that no matter how mature you felt at the ripe age of 14...you didn't have any business giving other teachers advice, or other students. It was just getting a wee bit out of control for a little while...this board was used by anyone who knew what a plie was.
By ballerina_kay
On Wed Dec 22, 2004 02:14 PM
thanks
By dancelvr1127member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:30 PM
yea i guess your right, what if we have really good advice tho.....but we can still come and ask and look for advice....i guess ill stop...
By tiptaptam
On Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:07 AM
I think the teachers' point here is that, though I am sure it is none of you :) , some young people think they know a lot more than they actually do..... sort of the old saying "the more you learn, the less you know".... so they are not truly capable of judging themselves truly. I think we should have an ask a student forum.... I am a studio owner, and I would love to know what students think.... but I try to not ask my students too much, because then they think they are more empowered than I meant for them to be...and feelings can get hurt. How would we get an Ask a Student Forum??????
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jan 22, 2005 03:40 PM
I agree there should be an ask a student board.
And perhaps student teachers could preface their comments with "student teacher" or "teacher in training", so that we get an idea of the level of expertise inherent in the response.

Helen
(teacher for 8 years)
By maureensiobhan
On Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:21 PM
Yes, if the students want to give their advice, there are the other forums and boards where they can do that. I'm sure many students have excellent advice, but perhaps there should be an "Ask A Student" board for that.
By Sparkz_NzPremium member
On Mon Feb 28, 2005 02:16 AM
i agree. The 'ballet' board, or 'tap' boardor 'jazz' board is where you "Ask a Student"

Here teachers can get annoyed if young teens try to answer the questions! And I agree with glitterfairy-- if I only teach part time and take more classes, I'm still assuming I can reply... as I have taught classes, not just assisted, and taken exams too.

Although, I'm not that active here anyway, there's plenty of good teachers out there that answer questions excellently!
By Canguest
On Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:58 PM
Edited by Canguest (39704) on 2005-03-26 12:49:33
Edited by Canguest (39704) on 2005-03-26 12:55:17
Thank you for explaining the rules for this board.
IF a student, or someone who works in a studio in some (non-teaching) capacity, etc. feels they must answer a questions on "Ask A Teacher", it would be very correct for them to state that they are "Not a teacher" but perhaps have some advice due to a similar situation.
By tiny_dancer1member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:16 AM
Okay, I know this sticky is a little old, and I apologize for bringing it up again, but I have a question about it and I didn't want to post another topic.

I am still confused about who can post on hear. I relize teachers, but do I qualify as a teacher? I have been assisting since I was at least 12, I now teach - not assist, younger children, and also beginner classes for some older students. I have choreographed/helped choreograph dances before. I will now be taking my associate teachers exams with, Canadian Dance Teachers Association.

I posted one comment on here the other day and I don't know if that was okay. I am a little cautious, as I don't not want to do something wrong. lol. I feel like I do have something to contribute, but I don't want the more qualified teachers to not accept this?

Also, I will be dancing and teaching in my future. And I plan on having my own studio, or going professional. So I think this board would also benefit me greatly.

tiny_dancer1
By SqiuggLove
On Tue Aug 07, 2007 09:39 AM
Hello, I'm with tiny_dancer on this one. My aspirations are to become a dance studio owner.

However, right now I am just a student.
I always represent myself as a student and give my opinion if I feel it is helpful.
My initial feelings were that this site was open to communication between dancers; whether they be students, teachers, or owners and that all thoughts and opinions were accepted as such. But I'm discovering that I'm wrong. The more I float around here, though, the more I feel that people are just people, and people catagorize themselves into groups or classes. For instance the filthy rich would never carry a conversation with someone on welfare.

So, my feelings are hurt although I'm sure it was not the intention of this post. I fully understand that teachers are looking for certified, experienced advice. But I also believe that open-mindedness to all thoughts and opinions can help one make a decision and if one knows what others think about a situation they can make a Better decision.

I'll admit I have posted comments to posts that do not require for me to, but again it was Only That: a comment.
By cheerspirit
On Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:10 AM
I'm with JLL... as a studio director it does not bother me if they leave appropriate comments or ask legitimate questions on either the Ask a Teacher or Ask a Studio Owner board, as long as they identify themselves as a student.

I kinda thought that was what the board was for... For students and parents, etc, to discuss matter with teachers or studio owners.
By HotWing
On Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:11 AM
I think this post was more concerning responses to technical questions...things that, perhaps, an experienced and trained teacher would only be able to answer adequately...not that a student wouldn't have great input in some instances...i just think that, sometimes, when teachers are at their wits ends with certain things...only another dance teacher can say what needs to be said...and there are also alot of posts on here that only years of experience can give you the answers to...i don't think it was meant to be negative or derogatory in any way and we do appreciate input from students as long as it's appropriate and well thought out...just my opinion ;)
On Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:53 AM
Okay, I understand this...But would my opinion be taken as from a student? Will people still respect that I do teach and that I'm on my way to where some of them are now?

tiny
By SqiuggLove
On Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:28 PM
Tiny I think they will respect your answers. I'm still just a student. You are much more advanced than I am. Therefore, you have a better understanding of what they are talking about and the Kinds of answers they are looking for.

Almost like learning a language. Since you are a beginner you know What they are saying, I as a student could misinterpret things or try to give advice that is superficial.

Sort of like asking a 10 year old Love advice I guess.
By californiadancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:42 AM
Tinydancer, you said you are a teacher and teach young children, yes that means you are a teacher.
Squigglove, if you follow the rules you won't be offended...I am sorry but your posts about how all of this hurts your feelings kind of bothers me. You said Tinydancer was more advanced than you, but how do you know that? I am confused...I am sorry but I don't go around moping about how I can't post in the SO boards or about how teachers can't...or about the fact that in order to I would need to pay up :) The rules ARE THE RULES. Seriously just stop moping about, post on the Ask A Teacher board, go get qaulified and then come back and post as a teacher when you are one...sorry to be mean but its really starting to irritate me...I must be in a bad mood today :P
By surfsister
On Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:46 AM
Tinydancer - I don't understand why you think that your posts wouldn't be ok? You teach young children - so why would anyone look at your postings as that of a student on the teachers board? I don't get it - granted i could be having a stupid brain day :)
On Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:31 PM
Well I am just cautious - maybe to cautious, because I don't want to do something I shouldn't do on this site. I just want people to know that I am a teacher, though a young one. I guess I was just wondering how seriously I would be taken as a teacher and again just making sure I am allowed to post here. Thanks for kind of clearing things up. And I hope to be contributing to this section now.

tiny
On Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:30 PM
If you have your own classes technically you are a teacher. If you are teaching 3 year olds and you are 15 years old (which I personally don't agree with, but that is another story), answering a question on how to teach tour jetes is probably something you don't want to give your input about. You may know how to do them, you may know how your teacher has taught them...but you are not currently teaching them and I think there are many other teachers who have more knowledge than you that could help a poster about a question like that.

Use good judgement as a new, young, teacher. Yes we have all been there, but the key to being a really good teacher is knowing what you know and what you don't. Even though I've been teaching 16 years I know there is so much I will learn through the years to come. Listening to other teachers has helped me more than anything.

As a teacher...when I ask a question I want good solid advice from people who have been in the industry and and know what they are talking about. I don't care if you are 16 or 60...just know what you are talking about when you post and try to sound educated when you type out your response.
By jazzdancer95
On Wed Aug 29, 2007 06:18 PM
I go along with most of the others in this blog. If you are not a full time teacher , which many of us are not , but you do teach and have an opinion or answer that might help another teacher, I dont't think it hurts toget more then one opinion. But, if you are just a student at least let us know that and then give us your opinion. It might help all of us with our young dancers someday.
By cabrioleenhautePremium member
On Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:55 PM
sometimes us older teachers like to hear from the new ones! We learn from you too! It goes with the SO board too, I can't tell yo how many times I have seen a great idea come from a new owner, and it's because times change!
Page:
Page 1 of 4: 1 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch