Forum: Ask a Teacher

Page:
Page 3 of 4: 1 2 3 4
re: Who can post in this forum...
By imadanseurPremium member
On Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:19 AM
Well please private message the owner or create a thread in the telldance.net forum if you would like this changed because I do not have the power to change this, the overwhelming majority of teachers we have polled in the past felt this was a good rule, many current teachers have posted that they don't want this rule changed.

Why should we have to ignore irrelevant posts that contain nothing but useless information when we could just say we don't allow it in the first place? Problem solved and has been working rather well for the last 5 years. Maybe spending a little time around the boards more to see the flow of this community and other areas of the site would make you appreciate how the rules developed and how they help make the site more manageable and enjoyable for the members?
By iluvpink23
On Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:32 AM
It's not that I have some big issue with the rules here, it's just that i think what some people would consider irrelevant others would consider valid, Especially when it comes to creative ideas. Do I think students should give advice when it comes to advanced technique? no, not necessarily, but there are a lot of subjects on this board that everyone could give a valid opinion on. Mostly, like I said, creative ideas.
By tiny_dancer1member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:05 AM
^Exactly, but there's plenty of other places on DDN you can go to talk about that. Really? I don't understand why this is being argued so much... So there's a forum for dance teachers where students can't post. There's also an Ask a Parent and Parents Only forum. Is it really going to affect you that much, that out of I don't know how many forums you can't post it one...? Really?

tiny
By ifdancecouldkill
On Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:15 AM
Hey did you guys hear about that dance teacher they found in the Hudson river? She had a note stapled to her tutu that said "no students on the teachers' forum"

I can see both sides' points. BUT I have to agree with the moderators. If you let students "just comment on music and costumes" it will eventually get out of hand and no teachers will want to come back because of all the silly posts on the teachers' board. Have you guys seen the students' board lately? lol "I have a pimple and tomorrow is my recital WHAT DO I DO"

Not to sound rude, but I like coming here for advice.
By daninqueenPremium member
On Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:17 AM
The maturity level of the young dancers posting is part of the issue. The other part is that this is a forum to ask a teacher not ask a student!
By NadiaLadidamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:19 AM
Especially when it comes to creative ideas. Do I think students should give advice when it comes to advanced technique? no, not necessarily, but there are a lot of subjects on this board that everyone could give a valid opinion on. Mostly, like I said, creative ideas.

That's what the other 99.9% of the board is for.

This MB is hardly uptight, lordy no. I am a member of a parenting board - populated by adults - which is more tightly moderated than this place! Heck - if you want to see anal, go over to Ballet Talk (no offense ballet talk, but y'all are pretty uptight!).
By DancingDiva736member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:20 AM
If the teacher wanted opinions from the students, they could post in the dancers forum-they have sections there for Jazz, Tap, Ballet...the list goes on. If I want a students opinion on a song for an advanced jazz class I'll post it in the dancers Jazz board. I have seen many teachers do this when they want a students opinion on things. The fact of the matter is that the majority of the members on the teachers board want answers from other teachers. Yes, a student might be able to provide some really valuable insite to the topic, which is exactly why you are welcome to PM the person who posted it with your ideas. The reason why we are all members is to share ideas, get to know people who share a common interests, and learn from others. It shouldn't matter whether you are allowed to share it on the public board, or PM the person who wrote it, if you have an idea you share it by whatever means you have to based on the TOS.

If your a teacher, you are welcome to post responses on the teachers board. If your an SO, you are welcome to post responses on the SO board. As a teacher, you can post your questions either here if you want the advice of the other teachers, or if you want advice from a student feel free to post in the dancers board.

Fact of the matter is, its a rule. No matter how dumb or irrelevant the rule may seem to you, it's in effect for a reason. This is a welcoming community and there is alot of advice to be given or received by all, but in some areas there are stipulations on who is able to give or receive that advice. If you really feel that you have something valuable to add, by all means send a PM to the person who posted the question.
By RosePremium member
On Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:26 AM
Hallelujah! What is going on here? I don't get it. It is so simple: People want to know how a teacher thinks about something. So they go to the 'Ask a teacher' board and put their question there. It means THEY WANT THE ANSWER OF A TEACHER. They don't want the answer of Baryshnikov or Zakharova, they don't want the opinion of Roberto Bolle (*sigh*) or Polina Semionova , but from a teacher. And of course your comment will be deleted if your name is Maria Kochetkova.

If you are NOT a teacher your answer is not wanted. It is not about what you want to post, it is about what the poster is asking for.
When I put a question somewhere on DDN and people start talking about something else, I also get annoyed and think: "Start your own post to chat about that."

So to all the Polina's, Maria's, Svetlana's etc, respect someone else's wish for a teachers answer and mind your own business.
If you can't, remember: teachers love rules and stick to them. If you can't follow a DDN rule, you are certainly not a teacher.
By iluvpink23
On Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:02 PM
Edited by iluvpink23 (206241) on 2009-01-23 12:11:39
will it affect me? no, but that's just my opinion. I'm not doing anything wrong here, because I am a teacher and I have my own classes. I still personally respect the opinion of others, be it teacher or student.
By cabrioleenhautePremium member
On Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:28 PM
no one said anything about not respecting students opinions...we just want TEACHER opinions.
On Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:42 PM
Exactly, we aren't saying we don't value what students think or that they don't have good ideas or opinions on something, however we aren't asking the students what they think, we are asking the teachers. Yes, some of the information on the post could be answerred by a student-like song suggestions for example. Point being that the post didn't ask for a students opinion. Its pretty much like someone butting their nose into a topic that they weren't asked about. You don't like it when you ask someone a question and someone else replies instead, its the same thing. If I wanted a students opinion, I would ask for it. If I want a teachers opinion, I post on the teachers board. We all understand that you value everyone opinion and thats just great, but the fact of the matter is that students can't post on this board, no matter what anyone says or does. Carrying on this board that was dead a long time ago isn't going to change the way the site is run.
By Triskitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jan 23, 2009 01:25 PM
Can we drop this now?!? This is just ridiculous! Ask A Teacher means Ask A Teacher, plain and simple. It's not that students might not have a good suggestion on costumes or music, it's that where do we draw the line?

This section of the site is specifically for teachers - wither they teach 1 class or 30.

If you're not a teacher, you are welcome and free to ask any questions you like, you are not however welcome to post answers. If a teacher wants the opinion of a student, they can ask in the Dancers tab under any of the numerous boards there. I often post in the Ballet General board when I want to get perspective on something from a student.

When I post in the Teachers Forum I am looking for the advice of people who are in the same boat as me.

Do students hang out in the teachers lounge at the school? No

There's no point in arguing this issue. It is what it is...Ask A Teacher. Pretty self explanatory.

Iluvpink23 is new to the site, perhaps she has not been around long enough to figure out that 99% of DDN is for students and there are many other boards where students can post answers etc.

a note to Iluvpink23 - it's not a good idea to join the site and immediately start criticizing those that have been around here for a long time and are highly respected for their advice and knowledge. If you want people to respect your opinion, you've started out on the wrong foot.
By tappergurl
On Fri Jan 23, 2009 02:34 PM
Okay, awesome. I guess the only thing I don't understand now is how you know who is a teacher and who is a student? Is there some secret in this giant clique that I just haven't tapped into yet?
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jan 23, 2009 02:55 PM
^Moderators are good at figuring these things out. That's why we were chosen.

Helen
On Fri Jan 23, 2009 03:01 PM
It's not a secret. Its actually pretty obvious to anyone whether someone is a teacher or not, if they were really paying attention. Watch the way people post, and what they post and you can easily tell whether someone is a teacher, student or owner, what type of dance they do etc. As Oz_Helen said, they are good at figuring it out. They monitor what goes on here and can easily tell whether your telling little white lies about who you are.
By ifdancecouldkill
On Fri Jan 23, 2009 03:26 PM
actually...when you sign up on the website... they send a camera crew to follow you for 1 week to make sure you actually teach at some point...
By tappergurl
On Fri Jan 23, 2009 04:32 PM
Ah. I see. I figured as much. It's all quite clear to me now. Hmmm... I wonder if I've been using the right keywords...
By iluvpink23
On Fri Jan 23, 2009 04:46 PM
hahaha. damn I hope I didn't say anything wrong to make anyone think I wasn't a teacher...
By bisousbisou
On Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:19 PM
For 2 brand new members of this forum, the 2 of you (iluvpink23 and tappergurl) seem to be on a mission to insult the very people who VOLUNTEER to keep things here on track. Ask a Teacher is for teachers to respond, we know they are teachers because for the most part, people can read and they respect the guidelines set up here. Also students will usually start their response with "My teacher says...." If you took the time to read around in the different forums you will see its not really rocket science to figure out who is who. If you want someone else's input, post on another forum...

Above all, there is a way to get your point across without being belligerent and rude. There was an opinion poll a long time ago asking the members who they felt should be able to post on Ask a Teacher. The majority felt it should be teachers only. Period. The end.

As Imadanseur said if you don't like the way they do things here, start your own dance forum.
By bisousbisou
On Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:21 PM
And by the way if you think for one second that I believe either one of you are actually teachers, then I'm the Queen of England. Neither of you have enough maturity for the job which is quite apparent in the manner in which you posted. Neither of you are a day over 16.
By Triskitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:21 PM
ifdancecouldkill wrote:

actually...when you sign up on the website... they send a camera crew to follow you for 1 week to make sure you actually teach at some point...

LOL!!!
By tappergurl
On Sat Jan 24, 2009 05:49 AM
I believe that the use of sarcasm is not a crime (I was amused by the idea of the camera crew). I am not a brand new member, thank-you very much. Please read my other posts before you pass any judgement on me. I believe I had some valid points when I commented that the moderators were being awfully "grumpy" with a poster about her opinions. I think you are all missing my point (and if you are not you have not posted yet...) in that it is extremely hard to tell whether or not someone is a dance teacher simply by the advice they give on an online message board. Sure, there are lots of people that can give the right answers, I am just incredibly wary of the internet and trusting any advice on face value.
By imadanseurPremium member
On Sat Jan 24, 2009 06:33 AM
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2009-01-24 06:37:35 spelling
It wasn't "moderators" it was me specifically that you called out and if you see who got sarcastic first it wasn't me. I just strongly disagreed but never did I tell that person that their point was dumb or anal. After that I am going to defend myself. WHO WOULDN'T? I am a member here first and then a moderator. So, if you are going to attack me and the work I do on a topic you know nothing about or the reasons behind the rule you'll probably see my grumpy side.

The moderators can see things on people's profiles that members can't. People also have bios on their profile and they often say where they dance and don't mention teaching at all. It is pretty easy to tell. When someone posts in another forum such as ballet and announces they are starting pointe, another forum asking advice about their boyfriend, another forum asking for help to extend their curfew and then they come post here pretending to be a teacher...it's not rocket science to figure out that they aren't. You might not be able to tell if someone is a teacher, but given the fact that some members are very active here and on other boards they catch accounts that aren't being truthful and with the moderators other techniques we are able to figure it out a majority of the time.

I think why some people consider you a "new" member tappergurl is because you have 62 posts in the matter of 4 years. While you may not be new, you are not an overly active member like some of the teachers here and you certainly were not here when there was a poll taken and we started the Ask A Teacher forum. I am not questioning your teaching status though I am not sure why you feel it is so important to let students answer questions on the ask a teacher forum when there are 90 other forums where you could get their opinion and they could private message their answers if they wanted.

I had a student recently write me and tell me her feelings on this topic but since she is a student she can't post on this thread. She said if she wanted advice from another student then she would post it on the other student boards. There are times when she ONLY wants to hear from a teacher. It's not just teachers that want this...it is other members as well.
By cabrioleenhautePremium member
On Sat Jan 24, 2009 07:42 AM
tappergurl wrote:

I believe that the use of sarcasm is not a crime (I was amused by the idea of the camera crew). I am not a brand new member, thank-you very much. Please read my other posts before you pass any judgement on me. I believe I had some valid points when I commented that the moderators were being awfully "grumpy" with a poster about her opinions. I think you are all missing my point (and if you are not you have not posted yet...) in that it is extremely hard to tell whether or not someone is a dance teacher simply by the advice they give on an online message board. Sure, there are lots of people that can give the right answers, I am just incredibly wary of the internet and trusting any advice on face value.

If you are sooo incredibly weary of trusting anything face value on the internet, then why do you come here for advice?

Bisous, I totally was thinking that same thing to myself--about your second comment.
By RosePremium member
On Sat Jan 24, 2009 08:11 AM
iluvpink23 wrote:

hahaha. damn I hope I didn't say anything wrong to make anyone think I wasn't a teacher...

But you are not a teacher. You say it yourself in your profile:

iluvpink23's Bio
my name is Renae, I'm 18 years old, and i've been dancing for about 5 years now. I'm also a dance student in college, alongside with my first major, English. I also just began teaching dance classes for a rec center.

You are a student, major in English and dance is a hobby to you. Just like teaching. A hobby is not a profession. Teaching is not your profession, so you are not a teacher. You are a student in English, and if you want to read it: a student in dance, like you say yourself.
Page:
Page 3 of 4: 1 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch