Forum: Advice / Support

Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3
re: Safe Alternatives to Self-Injury
By Julez28member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 381, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:23 AM
Hey, fist i wanna say thank you for making this post. Secondly i want to ask, i self harm but not badly, i use a key because i cant actually bring myself to use a knife or anything. Is this still quite bad or is is just not good? if you get what i mean?
I do it because when i get upset i feel the need to hurt my self.
I might try hitting something or squeezing something next time.
Thanx again
Julie
By Dancing_Forevermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3147, member since Sun Nov 24, 2002
On Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:59 PM
Thank you. I've never had the urge to cut, but suicide and similar other thoughts have occured recently. a lot of these techniques may help me, and some of them already have. Thanks so much.
angie
By nathalia Comments: 163, member since Sat Jan 01, 2005
On Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:00 AM
Thank you so much for posting this, it is so helpful. I used to cut myself, but have stopped in the past three months, and it is getting really difficult now. I keep trying to tell myself it will only get easier, but it really isn't.

One thing that has helped me is to always keep my nails painted, and when I get the urge to cut, I just pick off nail polish. It doesn't make my nails look very nice, but I'd rather has messy nails that an injured body.

Nathalia
By Hazel Comments: 2237, member since Wed Oct 17, 2001
On Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:51 PM
LauraBora: yes it does.

I'm going to recommend BUS to everyone here who cuts... or knows someone who does... or anyone who needs support.

busmail.org . . .

it's safe, and generally trigger-free. Everyone is welcome :)
By ashley222 Comments: 315, member since Sat Aug 28, 2004
On Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:04 AM
WOW thank you soooo much for taking the time to write this karma for you
you are awesome!
By danzin_gurl Comments: 146, member since Thu Dec 30, 2004
On Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:36 PM
You are sooo awesome!!! oh my gosh I cant tell you what a great person you are! I have never self-harmed before but these are great ways to just releive stress!! Thank you sooo so so so much for posting this! Im sure you have saved so many people from so much pain!! Thanks again!

~jEsSi~
By tsdwdancer Comments: 32, member since Sun Jan 09, 2005
On Fri Feb 18, 2005 07:32 PM
This is a great post. I know people that cut and I am trying to stop but I occasionally have the urge. These are some great ideas that i'll have to try.
re: Safe Alternatives to Self-Injury (karma: 1)
By ms_michellemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 69, member since Wed Dec 29, 2004
On Sun Feb 20, 2005 08:47 AM
wow there are so many ppl out there who have so much hurt! to all of you - just remember that you are beautiful! to realise that this is true next time you go out to the shops or in the park or walkin in the street; smile at the girl or guy behind the cash register, smile at the person crossing the road from you smile at every1 that you can, and when they all start to smile back you will realise just how beautiful you are!

for laura bora - anything that you do that involves delibretly damaging your body by causing yourself pain or harm is just like cutting! it is bad for you and if you or anybody else is doing it they really need to seek some professional help to stop the problem. go see a counsellor at school or your gp or ring up one of the help lines that ballet dancer put up on the post!

i'm a year level coordinator at my high school that i teach at in australia! i'v had a group of 5 girls last year who began cutting! i think for most of them it was a peer thing but for one girl i suspect that for her she may still be cutting or other types of self harm. this is excellent and i will put this on my notice board so that all these girls can read it!

thank you so much!

karma for you and good luck and a big hug! {} these are my arms wrapping around you! X that is the kiss i put on your cheek, :) this is the smile i have from giving an excellent cuddle!

and every1 pls stay beautiful! no matter how unacttractive anybody is - they always look beautiful when they smile!

have love and be groovy!
By Just_a_dancer Comments: 392, member since Fri Feb 04, 2005
On Sat Feb 26, 2005 07:14 PM
Thanks and thanks again!! I remember I first read this post thinking "I'll need this...Better keep it in mind." And then a few days later I had the urge to self-harm I just felt so bad... but I remembered your post and I looked at it. First I did the ice cubes thing and then I wrote. A lot. It really helps me thanks a lot!!!!

Just
By etceteramember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 108, member since Mon Mar 28, 2005
On Sun Apr 03, 2005 03:40 PM
Thank you so much for that post.
By happyhunni Comments: 277, member since Mon Sep 27, 2004
On Tue Apr 05, 2005 04:19 AM
Hiya amazing post i really needed this!! Thanks sooo much
By ScarletRose Comments: 62, member since Tue Mar 08, 2005
On Mon May 02, 2005 05:36 PM
Great idea! :) There's also a bunch of more tips at recoveryourlife.com~ It's a great site! xx
By mysterykid Comments: 23, member since Tue May 03, 2005
On Tue May 03, 2005 02:31 PM
Great post you have filled me in a couple of ideas that i could use.

Thank you
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8600, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Mon May 09, 2005 02:26 PM
Great post. Some of those alternatives work for me, others don't, find what works for you.
By Vozrozhdeniemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 783, member since Sun Jan 23, 2005
On Thu May 12, 2005 08:06 PM
When I was younger, I suffered from Self Injury as well as eating disorders and a variety of other things. One of the things that helped me not to cut was that I always got a kind of endorphin rush when I cut, and sometimes eating a piece of chocolate stopped the need for it. Maybe it can help someone else.
By dancefreak33455member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 411, member since Sat Jan 01, 2005
On Fri May 13, 2005 07:49 PM
I don't cut, but I have thougth abot it so seriously that I have had the razor in my hand. But I snap myself so much that it has bled one time. It's amazing how simple things like what you said can help. I like the playdoh idea!
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 860, member since Sun May 01, 2005
On Sun Jun 05, 2005 09:53 AM
BRilliant post. Thank you so much, helps to know other people are in the same rocky old boat.
By miss_rei_x Comments: 42, member since Mon Dec 13, 2004
On Sun Jun 12, 2005 07:35 PM
Thank you so much! I've tried cutting myself, though no blood has come out. I will try your alternatives instead, like the rubber-band one. Thanks again and Karma for you. ^^
By doughcrayon Comments: 29, member since Mon Jun 20, 2005
On Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:53 PM
Thanks for posting those. The tips will most definitely help a lot of people. But for me, any other ways except for cutting normally don't calm me down. I've been cut free for at least a month now, and here's my personal advice. Keep yourself busy during the day. No, the computer doesn't count as being busy. Your mind easily wanders on the computer. It sounds really stupid, but avoid spending TOO much time on the computer (aka over two hours straight). Look for medical help too. Counselors honestly didn't help me at all. But I went to a psychiatrist and she gave me medications for depression and bi-polarism. You see, if I hadn't gone to the psychiatrist, the bi-polarism probably would have gone undiagnosed, which equals problems. Your current mood condition might not be enough to be called clinical depression. You know how people always say "talk to a trusted adult?" I, like most of the rest of you I'm guessing, just thought, psh who the heck could I talk to and trust? Only recently did I find myself able to talk to my church student choir minister. But be patient for all of this. I started medications in December, my very darkest time, and only now am I really feelng like myself. Things this severe take tme. DON'T LET CUTTING OR THOUGHTS OF SUICIDE RULE YOUR LIFE! As I said before, keep your mind and body busy. It's proven that kids who are more active are less likely to fall into depression, and more likely to recover and stay out of depression. Kudo's to you all!
By prfreak Comments: 150, member since Sat Jun 04, 2005
On Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:28 PM
Thank you so much for this post :D Although I haven't been that mad at myself to the extent of self-injury, I find this quite helpful because when i get angry , I tend to make others get mad too, so anger-managment techniques might be the way to go. In my opinion, crying really does help,(almost as much as laughing) and sometimes I do the blow-into-paperbag thing, or take a nap to calm myself down. it is so great that this post is stickyfied!!
By pointe_fouettemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1703, member since Sun Jan 19, 2003
On Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:44 PM
I just found this support community today: recoveryourlife.com
I'm not going to create a seperate thread for it since it fits just as well here. Anyway, its really good for anyone who is dealing with/trying to recover from SI or ED's.
By PlainJane Comments: 167, member since Sat Jun 25, 2005
On Sat Jul 16, 2005 03:14 PM
I haven't cut in quite a long time, but when I was still struggling the following tips from your post helped me. Thank you for sharing.

- Create a list of friends, family members, or trusted adults who you can contact during times of conflict. When you are feeling the urge to self harm, call someone on the list. You do not need to discuss self harm, but if you feel comfortable, go ahead.

- If you are religious, take time to pray.

- Remove all harmful objects, or have someone hide them where you will be unable to find them.

- Clean. Though it may not seem like the most desirable option, cleaning is often a meditative, relaxing activity. Think of a room in your home that may need cleaning, turn on some music, and start cleaning!

- Take a walk.

- Replay comforting messages on your answering machine.
By that_jon13 Comments: 21, member since Tue Jun 28, 2005
On Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:32 PM
If you find that the urge starts to get out of hand, call a hotline (such as 1-800-DONT-CUT) or, if you are seeing a therapist or psychiatrist, call him or her and explain to them your feelings. These feelings are serious, harmful, and damaging, not only physically, but emotionally, as well. If you do not already, I highly reccomend speaking to a therapist or psychiatrist. He or she will be able to give you professional, medical advice regarding your feelings, and will be able to help you personally.
By Lizy36 Comments: 142, member since Sat Jul 23, 2005
On Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:28 AM
wow, thanks to you i realize why i always want to cut or cause self harm. its because i feel like theres no one there for me who cares or even wants to help but now with your list i realize that theres a lot of people out there who want to help me and ways to deal with it. i feel very understood right now. its not just me. thanks.
Elisabeth
By sing4joymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 374, member since Thu Jun 30, 2005
On Fri Aug 05, 2005 07:45 AM
I've heard that people do things like that when they're trying to quit smoking. It sounds pretty clever to me. I've never been in that kind of situation myself, but a friend of mine has, and she started going for walks and writing etc instead, and she's getting better, or however I should put it. Anyway, great post. :)
Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch