Forum: General / Welcome

Page:
Page 1 of 61 2 3 4 5 6
Welcome
A Note to the Newbies---What Not to Post (karma: 28)
By Shoreliner23 Comments: 1182, member since Tue Nov 02, 2004
On Sun Nov 28, 2004 09:50 AM
Made sticky by balletgurl (11968) on 2004-11-28 09:52:13
Edited by Shoreliner23 (111662) on 2004-11-28 10:53:38

Welcome to dance.net!

If you’re reading this, you are most likely a new member curious about what I have to say, so thank you for reading this.

A lot of new members make the mistake of not looking around the boards before they post. That, or they post in the wrong place. This site is 100% user friendly, and all you have to do is use your eyes.

Here are a few things that get on everybody’s nerves here, that have been gone over before, but will be gone over again.

Every time you star farm or use netslang, G-d kills a puppy

(dancer_dude04, I heart you.) :D

Please, please, please don’t post anything that consists of the following:

“Woowwww”
“LOL!”
“OMGGGG lyke i so did tht iz it ok m i gunna die?????”
OR:
“I don’t know, sorry.”

a) Nobody cares about 1 worded posts. They are a waste of space, and if you are going to reply, write something wth your while and worth reading.

b) Netslang=death. See above quotation. If you have enough time to figure out how to shorten words, then you have enough time to add 2 extra words to form a word in the English language. This is not only for our sake, but for the sake of other members who need to translate our posts so they can read them in their mother tongue.

c) Somebody wants your advice. They ask anybody who knows to reply. You write, “I dunno, sorry.” They don’t want to hear that! Obviously if there are no replies, nobody knows. If you don’t know the answer from experience, but you want to link them to a website, you do that.

Common and Over-asked Questions Asked on dance.net

1) Virginity.

Here you go:

dance.net . . .

Click me ^^^ and never post another virginity topic!!!!! This is a poll with 53 replies which should satisfy your "Who is a virgin?” needs.

Please look here...
dance.net . . .
dance.net . . .
dance.net . . .

...for virginity topics. Done. And don’t forget to look through every single page for posts on this. It really frustrates everyone (okay, 98%) to see these posts by newbies pop up like it’s the word-of-the-day.

Also please note that these boards fall under “Advice”.
If it’s off-topic, post here.
If it’s funny, post it hereor here. Easy, right?

2) Kissing.

One word: Argh! Just do the same as above ^^^ (Virginity). Look all around each and every board with girls and guys before you post about liplocks.

(If it has the word ONLY - you cannot post there if you are not a girl, or if you are not a guy. Girls, get out of the guys boards! They leave us alone, you do the same.)

Here’s a link for all of you curious kissing obsessees (new word?)

virtualkiss.com > > Have fun.

3) Politics/George W. Bush.(2004-2008)

You like him, you don’t, you love him, you loathe him. Enough already!

A) Not everybody here is American
B) Most Americans are sick of hearing about it

I’m sure that Pro-Bush and Anti-Bush members alike can tell you that seeing his name here is a little more than old. If you must post something about him, post in it humor or here. And let’s not debate about him being dumb (if that’s what you do/don’t think, whatever), let’s debate on something like The No Child Left Behind act, or something that you would like to hear people’s views on.

***Please, please no gay marriage debates!!! They have been debated repeatedly. Look around all 10 pages, and you will find plenty of what you need to know.*** See also, a board for GLBTs (PG-13), and a board for Philosophical discussions.

4) Avatars.

I swear, there are avatar questions on basically every board.

You can also go to any search engine and do an image search. Images must be JPG or GIF.

To upload an avatar...

An avatar is a graphical representation of you on this site. It is your alter-ego or "stand-in" depicted graphically. It can be a photo of you or a cartoon, your favorite singer, dancer, performer, animal, etc.

To use an avatar, you must be a full member and have posted 50 comments. The image you want to use must reside on your local computer's hard disk. Visit your profile page and click on the upload avatar link.

The image you upload will be automatically resized to 100x100 pixels. If you want to use an animated GIF, it should already be no more than 100x100 pixels. Any larger and the server will shrink it down to size and possibly corrupt the animation or colors.

Due to server disk space and bandwidth concerns, your image must be less than 100 KB (kilobytes) in disk size. Anything bigger will be rejected.

Easy, right? Yup.

5) I’m scared of older members!

Don’t be. They won’t bite your heads off. They can’t anyway because it’s the internet. :D As long as you follow the rules, don‘t use netslang or star farm (pointless posting), look before you post, you’ll be fine.
Don’t forget to check out all of the stickies on this page for everything you need to know about this site, often referred to as DDN.

Enjoy!

-Kathryn
(Formerly Dance_810)

138 Replies to A Note to the Newbies---What Not to Post

re: A Note to the Newbies---What Not to Post
By LovelyLauramember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10111, member since Fri Oct 31, 2003
On Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:07 AM
hey, im not new but i just wanted to thank you for writing this :D
it will help alot of people!
karma for you!

luv laura xxx
By VelvetRagamuffinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6013, member since Wed Nov 19, 2003
On Mon Nov 29, 2004 08:43 PM
Haha! I rated you up simply because you gave me credit in your post! That's splendiferous (that's a new word I learned in chat tonight, it's cool isn't it?)!

I actually rated you up because this is generally a GREAT post. But I still like my comment thrown in there. :D
On Tue Nov 30, 2004 08:13 AM
Edited by Shoreliner23 (111662) on 2004-11-30 08:06:31
Haha. I was expecting to hear from you. :D I learned the word splendiferous before you, I win. :D

Thanks all.
By emorskintown3 Comments: 107, member since Tue Nov 30, 2004
On Wed Dec 01, 2004 04:12 PM
cheers for that I am new and your advice has helped alot!
£mm@
By melly5 Comments: 69, member since Fri Dec 10, 2004
On Fri Dec 10, 2004 05:41 AM
hey, im new--thankz for that
but im afraid im finding a pattern--lots of people telling me what not to do so im a little scared lol. oh well thankz ne way.
On Fri Dec 10, 2004 07:02 PM
They're guidelines, and they are for your own benefit as a member. :)
*warm smiles*
By Dalloua Comments: 9, member since Mon Dec 13, 2004
On Mon Dec 13, 2004 02:22 PM
I have to say that this has amused me. Thank you. Granted I am new to dancer.net, I am not new to the wonderful posting boards and so have seen everything that you have posted. So thank you again, it was great.

You should check out Bhuz or Tribe and say the same damned thing.

Mina
dalloua.com
By Canary_Fairy_ Comments: 128, member since Wed Dec 22, 2004
On Wed Dec 22, 2004 06:55 PM
Thanks Kathryn, I love you and you are my hero and you rock my pointe shoes off

-Please don't think that I am a stupid newbie. I know Kathryn and she is teaching me about DDN so I won't act like the other newbies.
On Wed Dec 22, 2004 06:59 PM
Removed by calypso (11968) on 2006-03-09 11:21:56 double post

-Please don't think that I am a stupid newbie. I know Kathryn and she is teaching me about DDN so I won't act like the other newbies.
On Wed Dec 22, 2004 07:00 PM
Removed by calypso (11968) on 2006-03-09 11:21:35 double post

On Wed Dec 22, 2004 07:03 PM
Holy Hell Erin! Press post once more! Your computer has issues.
By SugarplumSweetie Comments: 114, member since Thu Dec 23, 2004
On Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:07 PM
Hi, I'm new and that really helped me out. It cleared up alot of questions that I had about what not to post and now I know what to do and what not to do. Thanks a million!
By specialballerina Comments: 2303, member since Fri Oct 22, 2004
On Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:54 PM
Thankyou. This is a really good, informative yet amusing post. I really like the second avatar site.
By imshortnluvinit Comments: 734, member since Fri Jul 09, 2004
On Thu Jan 20, 2005 07:56 PM
Edited by imshortnluvinit (99243) on 2005-01-20 19:53:45
Fantastic post Kathryn! I hope all the new members take time to read this post! :D

karma for you!
By littleprincecss Comments: 183, member since Sat Jan 15, 2005
On Mon Jan 24, 2005 08:56 PM
thanks for the info...helps tons.
By vipdancer03 Comments: 25, member since Thu Sep 16, 2004
On Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:01 PM
As a new member it's good to hear what people don't want to post. Some of the previous posts are really crazy and ridiculous. Prying through another's person's life through virginity questions is appaling. If people want to share, use a private message or there has to be another option. Anywho, in all cases, thanks for the post and the info!

-- Jenn
By ximmaspecial1xmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 402, member since Thu Mar 03, 2005
On Thu Mar 03, 2005 02:16 PM
What an excellent post, Kathryn. Clearly explains what is ok to post and what is not exceptable, and a good post for everyone to read not just newbies! ;)
By DancinDaniDiva Comments: 46, member since Thu Feb 24, 2005
On Tue Mar 08, 2005 07:22 PM
Thank you so much I have been looking for a post like this I have been feeling lost.
By StrechySoph2 Comments: 639, member since Thu Jan 06, 2005
On Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:21 AM
hello :)
im a full member, but i think you are totally right!Well said! ;)New memebers are a bit lost, and with our help we can show them!(not showing off like!) lol. :) :)
this is very useful, good advice and thanks for posting!
best wishes
sophi
xxxxxxx
:D :D
By widget007 Comments: 7, member since Mon Mar 14, 2005
On Tue Mar 15, 2005 07:15 AM
thanks alot, im glad i read this so i wont be making anyone angry, great idea
Help me post!
By Namps Comments: 240, member since Fri Mar 18, 2005
On Fri Mar 18, 2005 01:25 PM
You seem like someon who knows quite a lot about dance.net, and I know this sounds really moronic but HOW DO YOU POST ON DANCE.NET! I am so sorry to ask you, but I am a new member (relly brand new, this is only my first 5 minuites of being a member)and I am just ver confused. I know this comment does not really belong here but it was the only way I could ask for help!I would really appreciate some info! Thanks!
Namps.
Help me post!
By Namps Comments: 240, member since Fri Mar 18, 2005
On Fri Mar 18, 2005 01:27 PM
You seem like someone who knows quite a lot about dance.net, and I know this sounds really moronic but HOW DO YOU POST ON DANCE.NET! I am so sorry to ask you, but I am a new member (relly brand new, this is only my first 5 minuites of being a member)and I am just ver confused. I know this comment does not really belong here but it was the only way I could ask for help!I would really appreciate some info! Thanks!
Namps.
By RobinPaige Comments: 20, member since Fri Apr 01, 2005
On Fri Apr 01, 2005 01:58 PM
Edited by RobinPaige (127289) on 2005-04-01 13:46:06
Thank you so much for this post!!
I'm brand new to the site, and this really helped!
Robin
By Amontoo Comments: 9, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Fri Apr 01, 2005 05:01 PM
"Every time you star farm or use netslang, G-d kills a puppy"

Exactly.
Page:
Page 1 of 61 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch