Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Line Dancing
What is Line Dancing? (karma: 1)
By rallyhopbackPremium member Comments: 2969, member since Fri Jan 09, 2004
On Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:44 PM
Made sticky by MIClogger (28613) on 2004-12-05 18:39:31

Hi,
I do Irish Step dancing and am only familiar with line dancing done in country western bars/dance halls in the USA. Your costumes, other than the boots, look totally different from the recreational line dancing I've seen.
Is this a UK thing like Disco?

26 Replies to What is Line Dancing?

re: What is Line Dancing? (karma: 4)
By Danztarmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4199, member since Tue Sep 16, 2003
On Thu Dec 02, 2004 03:49 AM
Hmmmm I'll have a go at explaining.....

While Line Dancing in the UK originated from the recreational style you mentioned in Country Bars in the US, it has evolved so much that some people would go so far as to say it isn't really line dancing anymore! I don't agree with that though - we dance in lines so it's line dancing!
Early dances such as The Freeze, Electric Slide, Bar Stool, Birchwood Stroll etc are danced to Country music and still taught in many Beginner's classes.
Some of the more advanced Line dances are danced to some of the latest pop and funky tracks by groups like Liberty X. It incorprates different styles too, like Latin sometimes danced to songs by Jennifer Lopez.
We do still dance to Country artists like LeeAnn Rimes, Garth Brooks and Tim McGraw. It depends where you go really as some people prefer it Country and some people don't.

In competitions we have to dance different styles of line dance such as Cha Cha, Waltz and Funky. We also dance to Country music as well as non country.
Costumes have veered away from traditional styles but I personally think this is no bad thing! With the UCWDC, the organisation I compete with, there are certain rules regarding dress. All men must wear Stetsons for example and all costumes must have some form of 'yoke'.

Maybe I went into too much detail there but I hope it helps!
re: What is Line Dancing?
By Dance_Lu Comments: 141, member since Sun Sep 07, 2003
On Thu Dec 02, 2004 06:42 AM
Pretty much what Danztar sed! well done, u did a great job of explaining it! I'm sure that rallyhopback will defo have an insight to how line dancing is now!
luv Linda xXx
By Danztarmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4199, member since Tue Sep 16, 2003
On Thu Dec 02, 2004 08:38 AM
He he thanks! It's a bit hard to answer a question like that cos there's so much you can bring into it and I didn't want to ramble on for ages! :] Lol
I'm going to Nashville next month so maybe I'll see some of that American line dancing! Lol
By Dance_Lu Comments: 141, member since Sun Sep 07, 2003
On Thu Dec 02, 2004 08:54 AM
Lol, awww thats really cool, hope u have a good time and good luck for when u go!!! i know ppl who r goin!! are u going to British?
luv Linda xxx
On Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:44 PM
Thanks for the information!
I took a line dancing class years ago where we learned about four dances, but I don't remember anything now but the electric slide!
So, in your competitions is it like ballrooms dancing where everybody is on the floor at once and judges are at the sides and you dance past them? Are all the competitors in one more lines and all doing the same dance moves?
I was reading about a line dance competition here where you had to do "vanillas" all the same but further into the dance you could embellish more with your skirt, hat, hands, etc, but it still sounded pretty much the same as the line dancing I'm used to.
Thanks again for answering my questions! I learned something new today!
By DancinFool04member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 135, member since Fri Sep 10, 2004
On Thu Dec 02, 2004 04:41 PM
Vey good explanation Carly! well done!

Answering the question about the Line dance competitions yes it is quite similar to ballroom comps the judges are all sitting facing the the floor and the competitors come on and stand in a line facing the judges. At the comps i go to (UCWDC) we have to do the first wall vanilla and then we can do a certain amount of variations there after and also throughout the routine we can use arms, tilt hat etc. The outfits worn are very similar to ballroom outfits but like Carly said in her explanation adopting the western theme.

Hope that was explained ok and that it helps to answer your question.

Jon
On Fri Dec 03, 2004 03:11 AM
Hiya

Glad I helped a bit lol!

Linda, no I'm not going to the British good luck if you are though!
On Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:03 AM
Edited by rallyhopback (81538) on 2004-12-03 09:57:32
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a lot of fun!
Maybe you should ask a Mod to make this a sticky for others like me who wander in. Just a thought.
-RHB
On Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:05 AM
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a lot of fun!
On Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:07 AM
Hey that's not a bad idea, and if anyone else has anything to add that might be helpful then feel free?!
By ally13 Comments: 943, member since Sun Aug 11, 2002
On Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:08 AM
I only started line dancing in july last year and i am completly addicted! It's so much fun and you get to travel to all different places to compete! I've been to comps in Paris, Scotland, Ireland, Barcelona and Nashville(America) already and i've only been doing it 6 months!!! My teacher told me that they are trying to change the name from Line dancing to American Rhythm and smooth because of the stereotypical view of line dancing!! I think it's a good idea! luv alex x x x x x
On Sun Jan 23, 2005 08:01 AM
He he that would be funny then when people ask what dancing you do and you say 'American Rythmn and Smooth' they'd be like 'What?' lol
On Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:13 PM
Edited by rallyhopback (81538) on 2005-02-16 12:04:27
Image hotlink - 'http://flash.artie.com/20010322/arg-magic-easter-egg-url.gif'
CONGRATULATIONS!

You have found an easter egg!

To enter the Easter Egg Hunt, please go to www.dance.net . . .
By Teen_dancer Comments: 21, member since Fri Jan 28, 2005
On Sat Feb 19, 2005 02:47 PM
Line dancing is amazing people think it is boring and old fashioned but it is really good fun and you make loadz of new freinds luv ya loadz xxxx
Dani
By Teen_dancer Comments: 21, member since Fri Jan 28, 2005
On Sat Feb 19, 2005 02:49 PM
Did i mention that it is really really good fun . i sound like a right dork lol .Im tryin to post as many posta as i can so i can become a full member
luv ya loadz xxxxx
Dani
By sarahmichelle Comments: 27, member since Tue Feb 15, 2005
On Sun Feb 20, 2005 08:19 AM
yeah i agree, its very fun, and the people are so friendly! i know people from all over the world because of line dancing!
On Tue Feb 22, 2005 02:39 AM
OMG Fluffy you are here! How are you babes?
Line dancing rocks lol!
By sarahmichelle Comments: 27, member since Tue Feb 15, 2005
On Tue Feb 22, 2005 04:43 AM
hehe im good thanks nez...and yes!!! i am here!! and ohhhh yes it does rock hehee, hows u?
By crunchyPremium member Comments: 4810, member since Wed Nov 05, 2003
On Fri Apr 01, 2005 08:47 PM
i'm an acorn nice and round, lying on the cold cold ground. Everybody steps on me, that is why i'm cracked you see. I'm a nut.

Happy april fools! weeee
By bubble1 Comments: 214, member since Mon Apr 04, 2005
On Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:22 AM
ive never done line dancing but would love to do it i dont really know what it is tho!
By Muthu Comments: 23, member since Fri Dec 02, 2005
On Wed Dec 07, 2005 09:09 PM
I have done some line dancing like the Electric slide but never cared to know too much about the origins... Good thread,

Thanks
By DancewearDesignPremium member Comments: 5614, member since Sat Jan 22, 2005
On Thu Jan 03, 2008 03:27 PM
Hi,
I did line dancing years ago and loved it but recently made a line dance costume which made me research it a bit more.
I found this video on you tube and I think it is a lot different nowadays than the original line dancing.

www.youtube.com . . .

All I know is that I really like the new style which is much more like latin/ballroom and would love to have a go!
cathryn x
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Sat Jun 28, 2008 07:08 AM
In US, and in UK, line dancing usually means a type of dance that originated in country bars in the USA, but at least 15 different countries have ethnic line dances of their own. All that I have attempted, I have enjoyed.
By linedancingqueen Comments: 63, member since Sat Jul 19, 2008
On Mon Jul 21, 2008 04:54 PM
Hi everyone

Love this thread, I really like everyone's views on line dancing and what it means to them.

Line dancing means everything to me, I have been dancing for 5/6 years 4 of which has been in competitions.

To me line dancing is my life, I live for every week, for my class and the competitions are an added bonus. Also, everyone is so friendly that you meet at socials and competitions, they will come up to you and start talking to you if you are alone and try and get you up on a floor and if you don't the dance they will call it out to you.

Line dancing ROCKS :D :D

Patricia

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxo
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch