Forum: Highland / Highland - Hornpipe

deleted steps?
By highlndtchr
On Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:38 PM

I may be mistaken, but did I hear something about some deleted steps in the Hornpipe? If so, what are they?
Thanks!

5 Replies to deleted steps?

re: deleted steps?
By Ceilidh_DancePremium member
On Thu Dec 09, 2004 01:05 PM
quite a number of years ago, there was a change to the hornpipe steps. There used to be two cutting methods - low cutting and ground cutting. If memory serves me correctly, they were the same step just slightly different movements. Also, the Pumping and the heel pull were alternates of each other. Again, if I recall correctly, the Heel Pull was the 9th step and the pumping was the 9th alternate.

Before I started dancing - going back more than 30 years, there was a step called something like The Drunken Sailor. Our teacher taught it to us when we were little and from what I remember, it was quite alarming - possibly a bit dangerous due to the way the knees moved. I presume that's why it was removed. I'm sure there have been other steps before my time but that's all I can remember.
On Sat Dec 11, 2004 05:34 AM
In addition to the changes I posted earlier, it's interesting to note that the first step has also changed. Up until the mid 1980s or a wee bit later, the single beat rhythm in the current hornpipe didn't exist - only what we now call the 'accented rhythm. There was a 'note' to this step allowing the polka step to be danced.

I checked back to the old book we used to use and the heel pull was the 9th step with the pumping being the alternate. The low cutting and the ground cutting were only slightly different with the old ground cutting being the current low cutting and the old low cutting being very similar but cutting the hop that follows the initial strike.
By highlandchic
On Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:46 AM
Oh my gosh, that drunken sailor step sounds wild! Do you "sort of" remember part of it to describe?
On Mon Dec 13, 2004 07:40 AM
I can't remember the step but could probably find out over the holidays. I was only around 7 years old when we were shown the step so it's kind of just a fog. I do recall that the dancer had to do some kind of twisting movement where, from an extended position, the dancer would twist their hips and spring onto that foot taking the other foot up at the back with a bent knee. Their lower body would twist way off to the corner while dancing this and the upper body faced the front. Kind of like the 6th step (??) of the Cake Walk where the dancer does a kick, kick, twist, kick.

That's about all I remember. Not much use but I may be able to find out some details later.
By highlandchic
On Mon Dec 13, 2004 04:29 PM
you're right! that does sound alarming, lol, cant wait till you can find out more, lol, it really must look like a drunken sailor

ReplySendWatch