Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Professionals

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Jazz - Professionals
Welcome to the Professional Jazz Forum please introduce yourself (karma: 1)
By kabdancer Comments: 420, member since Sat Aug 21, 2004
On Sat Dec 11, 2004 03:35 PM
Made sticky by balletgurl (11968) on 2005-08-26 10:19:15 member request

HI there!! Let me be the first to welcome you here. I asked for this forum, partly I guess, out of my own selfish desire to speak with other professionals and like minded people of the Jazz genre. Whether you do Swing, Cool, Classic, Body Percussion, Theatre Jazz, Funk, etc...please share your ideas and thoughts here.

If you are a professional dancer (source of income), choreographer (not just in your living room for your friends) or an experienced teacher of jazz or even a jazz musician sharing a love for the music and style then WELCOME!!

I am an independant teacher/dancer/choreographer living and working in Canada. I have been teaching jazz and tap for about 16 years and it is my absolute passion. My classes are inspired by the work of Fosse, Mattox, Simonson and Jump Rhythm Jazz Technique. My choreography is commissioned by several local dance companies and presenters, and has also been featured in theatre, film shorts, music videos and commercials. Every summer I travel to find the best masters and legends for my personal upgrading, these intensives have lead me to such teachers as Matt Mattox, Brenda Bufalino, Billy Siegenfeld, Josh Hilberman, Lynn Simonson and Cleo Parker Robinson. I also do modern choreography and like to explore the African influences of
dancers like Katherine Dunham and Pearl Primus.

Looking forward to 'meeting you'. Hope we can make this board work.

cheers

Kabdancer

33 Replies to Welcome to the Professional Jazz Forum please introduce yourself

re: Welcome to the Professional Jazz Forum please introduce yourself
By BeautifulLetDown Comments: 1686, member since Wed Oct 27, 2004
On Sat Dec 11, 2004 05:59 PM
Wow you've really outdone yourself. Good job

Well I'm not really there where you are ^. I've been dancing for almost 15 years and have been taking jazz for about 8 I think. I've done choreography for my drama class, and taught junior high kids hip-hop. Since the age of 6 I've been competing in various festivals and what-not. I recently graduated from high school and since I'm taking a year off, I'm still dancing at my studio (that's when you know you can't quit) and I'm teaching as well and I love it. So that's pretty much about me...what about you? *points to everyone else* Yes you.
By MandaRose Comments: 16, member since Sat Dec 11, 2004
On Sat Dec 11, 2004 08:05 PM
i really want to be in a jazz company..i want to dance..for a living i know its hard but i dont even know whwat to do...any helpful hints?
By spandex_lovemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1575, member since Sat Mar 06, 2004
On Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:45 AM
Wow, that was quite the introduction kabdancer!
I'm not quite a professional yet, but I'm taking my Associates exam in Jazz BATD syllabus in April so hopefully I will be a professional. I am an assistant teacher at my studio as well as a dancer in our senior competition troupe. I've been doing jazz for about 10 years, and I used to teach my own class of beginners (the 3 year olds! :) )
Umm I just graduated high school, and I'm taking a business degree because I hope to open my own dance school sometime soon. While I don't do much choreography, I am entering a solo, duo and small group own choreography in my competitions this year, all of which I have choreographed with the others doing them with me.. for my exam I have to choreograph numerous things so I do those.. and I choreographed for my high school dance team last year.
So yeah, that's me :) Can't wait for this board to become active!
By andreathedancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 372, member since Fri Dec 17, 2004
On Fri Dec 17, 2004 03:55 PM
Wow u guys all sound very accomplished! I am prolly the toungest den. Im 15 yrs old and my passion is jazz at the moment. I compete solo and troupe in eisteddfods and gain places. Also my dance teacher has hired me already to teach the littlies...theyre soo cute! hehe. I like classical jazz and theatre jazz (the stuf in chicago) and hope to one day be a pro. Any tips on getting there?
wondering
By angel0808 Comments: 34, member since Fri Apr 26, 2002
On Sat Dec 18, 2004 07:21 PM
hey how's it going?
I am just starting out in the teaching world..and wow its nothing like I thought it would be, its really something amazing.I have just graduted highschool and wanting to major as a choreographer, I was reading your post and you have attracted me to ask you about your opinion on dance. I wanted to know your onion about dance and teachig before I make me decsion to major in choreography
thanks
Hey There!
By MonaLeMoo Comments: 64, member since Fri Oct 22, 2004
On Sun Dec 26, 2004 08:03 PM
Hey! My Name's Maureen. I'm a teacher at a Performing Arts school in Vancouver, BC Canada. I'm 21, and have been dancing since I Was 2 years old. I have all my RAD Ballet Classes up to Elementary.

I just started at a new studio this year and I'm loving it. Although the kids are at a Recreational Level, I am already starting to see a difference in their technique etc. I teach Jazz, MUsical Theatre, Modern, Tap, Lyrical. I dont do the Ballet thing but obviously I can. I am a Mean Mean Mean Ballet teacher :)

Anyways! That's me :) Good idea for this board. I'd love to talk with some Pro's like myself. Nice to meet you :)
By Studio1 Comments: 68, member since Sat Jun 26, 2004
On Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:09 PM
Hey - nice to meet all of you!

My name is Bree and I have been dancing (mostly jazz and ballet) for almost 20 years now! (Am I really that old?!) I have performed and competed all my life with titles in cheer, gymnastics, drill and dance competitions. I have performed numerous times in Disneyland/world, Knotts Berry Farm, Six Flags, Cypress Gardens, Kennedy Space Center, and other various venues in NYC, Orlando, L.A., Las Vegas, Dallas, and Utah (my home state) and have been highlighted in news casts around the state of Utah. I have also been on the cover of Dance Spirit Magazine. I sealed my college experience with three years as a (NDA national champion) BYU Cougarette. I have taken two years off of 'performing' and I intend to audition for my first professional jazz company this May (Odessey Dance Utah.)

While I currently have put my own performing on hold, I am really delving into the choreographic side of my passion for dance. I have been teaching and choreographing professionally for about five years now; mostly in studios and competitions, but quite a bit of freelance, solos, drill team, dance company (orchesis) cheer, etc. Performing is absolutely my thrill, but teaching and choreographing are a (suprisingly) close second place.

I work at a studio called "Studio 1," (hence the screen name) choreographing and teaching technique to the Senior and Junior companies. I may be a bit biased, but I believe that I work in the most incredible studio on earth. I feel like the dancers are more like my daughters than my students! I have watched their talent FLY THROUGH THE ROOF (which any teacher will understand my pride... there is nothing better in the world than seeing your students reach their potential!)

Anyway, I am excited to share ideas, questions, thoughts and help with all of you. I hope your passion for dance keeps growing everyday!
By miss_kate Comments: 285, member since Thu Aug 12, 2004
On Thu Jan 13, 2005 09:54 PM
hi!

i'm an australian dancer, and now dance teacher. i learnt as a student for 15 years (5 years full time), studying RAD, jazz, contemporary, national character and dance theory.

though i only teach basic jazz to my betty ballerina students, i am a great admirer of REAL jazz and the different styles, shown in movies and musicals like chicago, a chorus line, sisterella, the boy from oz, west side story, caberet, 42nd street, sweet charity, i could go on and on and on ....

dancers who i show to my students for inspiration (photos and film) include ann reinking, caroline o'connor, paul mercurio, taye diggs, michael jackson, patrick swayze, mya, donald o'connor (singing in the rain), sylvie guillem, darcey bussel, elisabeth plattel, mikhail baryshnikov, gelsey kirkland, natasha markarova, the guy who plays "richie" in a chorus line-the movie (WOW!!) and heaps more!

there is so much talent out there, and i hope that if i can become a good and respected teacher that maybe one day, some of my students will be on someone elses "favourite dancer" list.

mk
By dancer0808 Comments: 13, member since Wed Feb 16, 2005
On Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:49 AM
I'm dancer0808 and I love jazz dance more than any thing in the world its my PASSION.
By stagebound Comments: 301, member since Mon Jan 17, 2005
On Sat Mar 05, 2005 09:19 PM
Hi all,
i don't think I'm as accomplished as some of the people here but none the less, jazz is my favourite style of dance. I have done some choreography for the elective dance class at school and have helped teach little kids at my studio. I really want to go pro in the music theatre industry, (singing, dancing and acting).

luv stagebound
Welcome to the Professional Jazz Forum please introduce yourself
By TEAM_MOMmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2268, member since Tue Sep 21, 2004
On Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:33 AM
Edited by TEAM_MOM (107102) on 2005-04-27 10:21:29
God I feel old! :(

kabdancer you could be a rockette :) Your kicks any good? *giggle and snort***

I got involved in jazz purely by accident about 15 years ago. I worked for a small video company, and we filmed recitals. My own kids decided after watching one of these recitals that jazz dancing was it!... From there they pushed me into it. It was a learning process for me too! I had to learn all the terminology, techniques, new steps, and the protocals that competitions demand -the works. I began working with other peoples children in 1997. I started with Kids as young as 5 years old and worked my way up to the high school level catagories.

I'm an old cheerleader (and club dance) at heart, so switching over to jazz came pretty quickly. I've taught cheerleading, jazz, and for the past 5 years been tinkering with lyrical. I prefer to work on a one-to-one basis with most students. I like to produce solo dance champions. We usually start preparing soloist 9 months before they will compete in a jazz or lyrical. I'm a perfectionist.....even through my students may not be. :D

While my body is no longer able to boogie on the floor - my brain still works pretty good. The kids keep coming back to me..... Now days, both my daughter and I get bombared with girls during our drill/dance tryouts at our local high school - those little stinkers call us at 11:30 at night wanting to come over and practice.

My daughter has pretty much taking on the lead roll as teacher lately (THANK GOD!@). I get to actually sit in the audience and watch her stress out now days.....

Myself and another Team Mom who have been around the jazz world for the long haul, we like to sit and judge competitions ourselves. We're getting pretty good at it. 95 to 100% of the time, we're calling it the same as the real judges.

That's what you do when you get old - you get to watch the show! I don't know if I'm a pro or not - but I'm a pretty dang good second. :D

Jazz is the world!
Dance teacher by default.

No body else showed up! And I looked in the door and all I said was "Hi"
TEAM_MOM
By kabdancer Comments: 420, member since Sat Aug 21, 2004
On Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:42 AM
OMG team mom you crack me up.
Welcome!!
Where do you get rockette from in my post? As cute and fun as that would be I'm more into the concert dance world, not really into chorus line, just not my taste...but love to watch it!!
My kicks are pretty good though...**giggle snort snicker**

cheers
By kaygirlPremium member Comments: 262, member since Wed May 25, 2005
On Wed May 25, 2005 02:57 PM
Hi! Quick intro - my name is Katy, I danced for over 20 years, 15 years of my own training, then 7 years of teaching (ages 3 yrs - high school/college, all subjects). I haven't danced in about 5 years, and it's driving me nuts!! Dance was always a passion. Don't ask why I'm out --- looooong story!!! Anyway, I finally realized that dance is what I love, so dance is what I need to do!! I am teaching some classes at a community center this summer, and am going to see what comes next. I'm pretty much starting out all on my own, so I'm glad to find a place to chat with other dancers! I can't believe I never found this before!!! I came across this website after doing a web search! :)

Talk to you soon!
Katy
By livin_life Comments: 36, member since Tue May 31, 2005
On Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:30 PM
Hi, my name is Kristie and I have been dancing for twelve years. I'm only fifteen years old, but I just recently finished my first year as a dance teacher for Nancy Pattison's Dance World in Windsor, Ontario. I have been competing for eight years and was also an assistant prior to becoming a teacher. Jazz is my favourite type of dance, but I also enjoy tap, ballet, and hip hop. Yearly classes start at the studio in September and I will continue teaching there. Hopefully in the future I can major in dance at University and go on to become a choreographer or professional of some kind.

Kristie
By devilzsoupmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2909, member since Thu Oct 24, 2002
On Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:30 AM
Hey I'm Ellie, I'm 21 and ... well I hope I qualify to post in here! I go to full time dance college and do jazz 4 times a week (i wish it was more but the timetable won't allow it!) and i hope to go professional when my course ends.

I've been dancing for well over 15 years and I have my first professional jazz audition on saturday for a summer entertainment job in a local theme park. Not very glamorous I know but we've all gotta start somewhere! I'm also training to be a teacher in modern (ISTD) and I'd like to be a choreographer too so i've got a lot of ambitions and I hope I'll be able to make at least one of them happen!

Well, nice to meet u all!!
By dancingdiva83 Comments: 327, member since Sun Aug 08, 2004
On Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:41 PM
Hey everyone! My name is Amanda and I'm currently majoring in jazz dance in college-one more year! I have been dancing for 18 years and teaching since I was 16. I teach competitive jazz and lyrical but my passion is musical theater! One of my major influences is the Fosse technique. Its great to meet everyone and find this forum!!!
By tapfrogs Comments: 173, member since Fri Jul 01, 2005
On Sat Jul 02, 2005 03:36 PM
kabdancer,

Are you part of Decidedly Jazz? I only ask because I noticed your influences, and we have something in common -- I am in Jump Rhythm!

I started dancing when I was a little one, doing mostly tap and jazz growing up ( my studio did not have the greatest ballet). I went to college, learned ballet properly, learned the wonderful world of modern and jazz at a college level - and met Billy Siegenfeld, and thus the Jump Rhythm technique, through a master class. I loved the idea of being able to dance rhythm with my whole body - and so I decided to study Jump Rhythm after college. 5 years later, after lots of studying, I am in the company, going on 2 years. Maybe we'll cross paths someday in person!

Nice to meet you, and others!
By j_girl Comments: 1, member since Mon Aug 29, 2005
On Mon Aug 29, 2005 02:09 AM
hey guys im jess ive danced 4 5years and i love it so yeah hi
By Jennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3017, member since Thu Feb 27, 2003
On Wed Sep 07, 2005 01:45 PM
Hi! So nice to hear a bit about everyone!

My name is Jenna, anc Ive been dancing since i was about 2 1/2. I am a Member of the BATD, and have done exams in RAD, CDTA, DEA and DMA.
I teach students of all ages (my youngest is is 3, my oldest is 45!). I really enjoy teaching, its amazing to be able to work with so many studnets and help them acheive their goals.
I work profesionally (mainly in the genre of jazz) as often as I can, which is difficult with my teaching schdule and my school schedule (B. Sc, and Massage Therapy).
I teach mostly ballet, but also lyrical, jazz, modern and hip hop.
Nice to meet you all!
Jen
Jazz fusion dancer and choreographer
By Ricodancer Comments: 175, member since Sun Oct 26, 2003
On Tue Nov 01, 2005 03:17 AM
I'm Rick Heiman, Artistic Director of BelCobraDance (www.belcobradance.com) and teacher and choreographer in the lyrical/ belly dance/ Latin style of Cobra Jazz Dance (www.cobrajazzdance.com). Currently I'm working with 3 of my dancers on a contemporary piece in conjunction with the Dance Resource Center of Los Angeles' Choreography Workshop, led by Glenn Edgerton (former Exec. Dir. of Nederlands Dance Theater). There will be a "Works in Progress" performance tba, probably in December. After that, I will commence teaching Cobra Jazz Dance classes in the Hollywood area, which will double as company class for BelCobraDance. Our next work will be a sassy lyrical jazz/ belly dance fusion work set to Verdi's Ballet Music from Aida.

For more about moi, you can see my bio page on the BCD website. Dance on, y'all!
Introduction
By Ricodancer Comments: 175, member since Sun Oct 26, 2003
On Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:29 AM
Dancer, choreographer, teacher, and Artistic Director of one of the top fusion dance companies in the world. In the past year have performed in SF, LA, Boston, SLC, Boulder, Finland, and England. Attended the ISPA Congress in Gateshead, England. Next up- choreographing a sassy lyrical/ belly dance fusion work to Verdi's Aida.
By Dancer125 Comments: 6, member since Fri Dec 16, 2005
On Sat Dec 17, 2005 05:47 PM
Hey! I have been doing jazz, hiphop, and ballet for awhile and I also did tap, modern, and lyrical for a long time!
By devilzsoupmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2909, member since Thu Oct 24, 2002
On Thu Dec 22, 2005 01:29 PM
Hey I'm 22 and I go to a professional dance college in Warrington in England. It's a very ballet orientated school but we do lots of jazz and tap classes as well (not to mention ISTD modern, spanish and contemporary) and my dream is to go into musical theatre and then be a jazz choreographer.
I'm also training to be a teacher in ISTD cecchetti ballet, Modern and Tap so one day I'd like to teach too (lol I'm not asking for much am I?!?)

I'd love to hear other people's experiences of the pro jazz dance world as all we ever really hear at college is ballet-related stuff and of course I'd love to share my own. :)
By ecudanzr1001 Comments: 4, member since Sat Jun 30, 2007
On Sat Jun 30, 2007 02:39 PM
Hi how are you? I am a 21 year old I just finished my dance performance degree with a concentration in jazz. I am hoping you can give me advice. I just started teaching at a school in San Diego. I recently moved from North Carolina, so I am pretty new to all of it. I am willing to learn and perform so if I can ever help you in any way please let me know. Ecudanzr1001
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch