Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2
re: What the Heck is Jazz Dance? (cross post)
By beth06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 174, member since Fri Mar 11, 2005
On Sat Jul 09, 2005 01:31 PM
it seems like jazz is a mix of all types of dance to me.
By kat5 Comments: 4, member since Thu Jul 14, 2005
On Thu Jul 14, 2005 03:03 PM
the reason we have black shoes in jazz is cuz the way its made it makes u move better
By kat5 Comments: 4, member since Thu Jul 14, 2005
On Thu Jul 14, 2005 03:06 PM
jazz danicing is like hip hop u move ur hips alot and ur feet to its just u dont do it like breakdancing if u cant do breakdancing then jazz would probley be for you
By Ziggiee Comments: 444, member since Wed Jul 20, 2005
On Wed Jul 20, 2005 01:59 AM
I started with jazz many years ago and have recently been doing hip-hop as well. To me, hip-hop is a lot less technical than jazz - but that doesn't mean it's any easier! It's more physically demanding but jazz creates more discipline and self-awareness, like making sure you're feet are turned in & your arm & leg positions are correct.

Jazz has helped me with my fouttes, chenes, jetes, etc. I think many people don't realise that it's not as simple as it looks yet it's still very enjoyable!
I don't think it's a stupid question
By Marcia Comments: 108, member since Wed Jul 20, 2005
On Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:06 AM
"what the heck is jazz dance" is not a stupid questions at all! not for a beginner whatsoever. When I say I go to ballet classes everyone (not dancers) know where I'm going and they kind of know "what to expect" from those classes...but when I say I go to jazz dance classes they don't really know, and I think they don't know because jazz dance is really difficult type of dance to describe especially if you're not an advanced dancer.

Here in Chile people don't really know what jazz dance is, actually the first thing they think about is jazz music.. so, I think is a very good question to ask!!!

Marcia.
By Pass_that_dutch Comments: 34, member since Thu Jun 15, 2006
On Tue Jul 24, 2007 07:29 AM
I would love to give my opinion. to me, jazz is a mix of every kind of dance. It has been around for over 100 years & many different people think that it is something other then what other people do. Every studio has a different jazz teacher & jazz truly IS a in a lot of different forms. Also, a lot of different forms of dance come from jazz. Honestly, Hip hop started out as a form of jazz, jazz came from ballet, modern came from different forms of both ballet & jazz. It IS in a lot of different forms. Take Fosse for example, his jazz style is very suggestive while not being OUT there (like with women completely naked or something) but he's also about breaking the line which isn't very sexy. But Fosse was a HUGE influence on the styles of jazz. & before Bob, what about Fred Astaire? When i see a Fred style piece I see; very smooth almost quiet style. It reminds me of jazz funk. What about Luigi? He was told he would never walk again. & yet he (being a dancer) refused to believe this & worked amazingly hard & long to create the ability to walk again. of course soon after he did that he was dancing again. & Luigi's idea's are an influence on many of my jazz teachers. They are always telling us, "Never stop moving" which is what Luigi used to heal himself so he could keep dancing. There are so many different amazing jazz dancers out there these are just three of them. Please, try jazz at least three times before you quit. It's an amazing form of dance. & remember, if Luigi was paralyzed one one whole side of his body & then recovered, YOU CAN do jazz.
By meemee715 Comments: 3, member since Mon Sep 10, 2007
On Mon Sep 10, 2007 06:09 PM
I'm looking a dance style to start taking lessons on. Jazz seems very interesting
On Mon Sep 10, 2007 06:10 PM
I'm looking a dance style to start taking lessons on. Jazz seems very interesting
On Mon Sep 10, 2007 06:12 PM
Is jazz dance easy?
By dance_gurl_4_eve Comments: 54, member since Sun Oct 21, 2007
On Wed Oct 24, 2007 06:08 PM
Well I am in jazz (first year:P) andi think that jazz is a mix between hip hop and lyrical.... maube not to you but to me thats what I think lol:P i just came back from jazz and I NEED a splits stretch!! plzhelp me out!!!
lots of luv!!
hoped I helped!!
By andrea5432 Comments: 22, member since Wed Nov 28, 2007
On Sun Feb 10, 2008 09:49 AM
i love jazz in like half fast ballet half hip hop

i hope this helped
By brownskin6 Comments: 21, member since Wed Feb 13, 2008
On Wed Feb 13, 2008 05:08 PM
thanks for the link it helpred :)
On Sat May 17, 2008 02:37 PM
It is a question so don't say it isn't. you should say sorry to bex I mean come on... you don't have to be rude about it....
By voguer Comments: 79, member since Mon Apr 24, 2006
On Tue Jun 10, 2008 06:34 AM
also a good reference for jazz dance would be Michael Jacksons video from the "Bad" album era. Look at the "Bad" video, it is using very jazzy moves.
On Wed Jun 18, 2008 06:28 PM
No affence or anything but..
Nobody really watches Michael Jackson videos anymore....
By voguer Comments: 79, member since Mon Apr 24, 2006
On Wed Jul 09, 2008 01:08 AM
none taken but actually some people still watch and keep posting MJ videos on Youtube.

Bottomline is if one if one wants to look for a reference of Jazz dance, one could also check the music videos, musicals and variety shows of the 80's . Most of them are based on jazz dancing.

Musicals : Flashdance, Staying Alive
Music videos : Bad , The Way You Make Me Feel (Michael Jackson)
When I think Of You (janet jackson)
Variety Shows : Solid Gold
By Maggie_May1 Comments: 20, member since Tue Dec 01, 2009
On Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:58 PM
Does anyone know of any good studios for Jazz Dance in Toronto, beginner classes.
By PassionDance Comments: 35, member since Tue Aug 24, 2010
On Mon Aug 30, 2010 01:03 PM
WoW!!!

Thank you Kabdancer for all this good information, it's like a Goldmine over here!!! I guess I should have read this before asking my question, but nonetheless, I got the answer I needed thanks to you and your dedicated work to ensure everyone can understand Jazz dance!
I read the link you gave out and found it very interesting and instructive!

Props to you, I wish I could give you karma, but I seem to be too much of a n00b...I will when I can!
By ladydancermom Comments: 32, member since Mon Sep 06, 2010
On Tue Sep 21, 2010 08:43 PM
Is it normal for a jazz class for 8 years old to have Lady Gaga to dance to? I thought this a little inappropriate for 8 year olds - and I thought jazz class would dance to jazz music. Am I totally wrong?
By irishfeislovemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1060, member since Tue Nov 16, 2010
On Wed Feb 16, 2011 06:22 PM
My Jazz classes used to be 1 yr you do modern, the next year jazz. There was always elements of ballet, but to upbeat modern music and creative choreography.
By adz Comments: 36, member since Fri Feb 10, 2012
On Mon Feb 13, 2012 06:40 AM
great work! helps newbies like me learn more and more about dance.thankyou
By facainath Comments: 23, member since Mon Jun 21, 2010
On Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:00 AM
Jazz, tap and musical theatre dance are “cousins.” These forms of dance are tied to everyday music, songs and rhythms. Jazz dance involves a range of lively, often sensuous body movement and percussion techniques, with a mix of tap steps, social dances and ballet. New forms of jazz dance developed with new music, such as the Charleston, swing, rock and roll, and the Caribbean reggae.
By AriDances Comments: 5, member since Sun Jul 22, 2012
On Sat Aug 04, 2012 08:45 PM
A style that uses turns, jumps, leaps and more
By Danceryo Comments: 22, member since Wed Sep 18, 2013
On Thu Sep 19, 2013 07:20 AM
To me Jazz is like a mix of all kinds of dance like lyrical and hip hop but not so much that. Its really fun!
Page:
Page 2 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch