Forum: General / Administrative

Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3
Administrative
READ ME: About rudeness and arguments (karma: 24)
By linhPremium member Comments: 2688, member since Sun Mar 07, 1999
On Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:42 AM
Moved to Administrative by linh (3) on 2005-04-12 01:35:40

If you find something rude or that violates the Terms of Service (TOS), there is no need to make a post about it here. Just press the "MOD" (short for moderate) button and let the moderators know about it. They'll take care of the problem. This way, you don't have to take any of the heat for it. It's the moderators' jobs, and that's what they've volunteered to do.

That's not to say that you can't make a post about it here. By all means, do it if you think it necessary. However, don't be surprised when others disagree with your prognostications or conclusions, and then debate you. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that you should expect disagreement. Not rudeness, but disagreement. In other words, if you can't take the heat of an argument or debate, don't post here or on any board at dance.net for that matter.

I've seen this scenario happen way too much here to ignore it any longer. There is bound to be someone out there who disagrees with you. Don't take it personally, it's just life. Who knows, maybe they have a point you didn't consider. Maybe it's just tough love. Debate them. If they cross the line, contact a moderator using the Mod button.

If you don't ever want to see debates or even the possibility of rudeness or misunderstandings, then you should just sign off dance.net forever. In fact, you should probably disconnect your computer from the Internet. Disagreements happen all the time. They're a part of life, they're instructive, and you should revel in them. People learn most when making mistakes, and debates give you a chance to find out if it's your turn to learn.

Just think how boring the world would be if everybody thought the exact same way you did.

And if you do find that magical forum where everybody gets along famously with nary a sigh of argumentation or discontent, then please let me know. The mods and I would love to vacation there...permanently.

Go ahead, disagree with me. I dare you. :D

Linh

55 Replies to READ ME: About rudeness and arguments

re: READ ME: About rudeness and arguments
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9027, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Mon Dec 13, 2004 01:48 AM
Linh. You suck.

That was the most pointless and stupidest post I have ever read.

Your so wrong, its not funny.

:)

Ok, seriously, THANK YOU FOR WRITING THAT!!! I honestly should send you some chocolate.

Not everyone is going to be best friends with each other. But tolerance, and knowing limits is something we all have to learn. Mod buttons were put there for a reason.

Thanks again linh!
By dancescapedancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3006, member since Fri Mar 05, 2004
On Mon Dec 13, 2004 02:16 AM
Hiya Linh,

I wont dare to disagree with a mod lol :? Thankyou for posting this! I always press the mod button, usually for netslang though :)

Love Heidi xxxx
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Mon Dec 13, 2004 02:31 AM
Where can I send flowers, chocolates, and excellent Spanish wine?
re: READ ME: About rudeness and arguments (karma: 2)
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9027, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Mon Dec 13, 2004 02:40 AM
To my House.
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Mon Dec 13, 2004 05:30 AM
"There is bound to be someone out there who disagrees with you. Don't take it personally, it's just life"

"Disagreements happen all the time. They're a part of life, they're instructive, and you should revel in them."

THANK YOU! Linh, I love you so much.

People need not to get so offensive because someone disagrees with them. Not everyone is going to agree with you and crap is going to happen. You're not going to get along with everyone, and people are going to offend you. This isn't a utopian world, especially with thousands of memembers.

Great post.
By VelvetRagamuffinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6013, member since Wed Nov 19, 2003
On Mon Dec 13, 2004 08:52 AM
*Tear* Poetry, sheer POETRY!
By xxdancingqueenxxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1915, member since Mon Jun 28, 2004
On Mon Dec 13, 2004 09:04 AM
Hiya linh

Great post, you've summed up everything :D

Hope people have taken note from this!!

Of course we all won't get along and have different opinions but that's life isn't it??

Love Harriet xxxxxxx
By MadRussianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1694, member since Fri Oct 12, 2001
On Mon Dec 13, 2004 01:33 PM
Thank you Lihn!!! I love you!!!!

And I hope the people that this refers to actually read it, but then again if we break out into a cheese-it fight, that would be pretty!!

Wheres my tomato??? *throws cheese-its at her* HA!
By Shoreliner23 Comments: 1182, member since Tue Nov 02, 2004
On Mon Dec 13, 2004 01:51 PM
Edited by Shoreliner23 (111662) on 2004-12-13 13:44:43
NNNNO! I think you're being very rude, bossing me around and telling me what to do. You suck! In no way will I let some stupid boy like you tell me what to do. This site sucks, and I am leaving because everybody here is too nice. Why don't you guys ever swear and be nasty to each other? I can't take it, this kindness. I'm going to be as rude as my little smidgen of a heart desires. Ha.

Haha, remember that thread? Titled "What the hell is wrong with this site?"?

Thank you linh!

Disagreements happen all the time. They're a part of life, they're instructive, and you should revel in them. People learn most when making mistakes, and debates give you a chance to find out if it's your turn to learn.

Just think how boring the world would be if everybody thought the exact same way you did.

I love you.
READ ME: About rudeness and arguments
By TEAM_MOMmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2268, member since Tue Sep 21, 2004
On Mon Dec 13, 2004 03:51 PM
That "READ ME" thing was the first thing that caught my eye. Another one?

*smiles* *Goes back to the debate board for more torture - and a few laughs*
By tutulessmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5351, member since Fri Mar 26, 2004
On Tue Dec 14, 2004 04:38 AM
I just wanted to say thank you for all the arguments on here. In English class we were discussing education and I disagreed with someone and another person began about how I should not disagree with people or something (didn't fully understand, his English is crap...). However, I completely smashed him to pieces. HA! Go me!

That said, *throws cheese dip at candace*
By DreamingTreemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3193, member since Sat May 24, 2003
On Tue Dec 14, 2004 08:35 AM
Linh, you ROCK! I love you!
THANKS for posting that. hehe.

Cathy
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Tue Dec 14, 2004 05:24 PM
This is why he is the best boss in the world. Much love from the mods!
By MadRussianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1694, member since Fri Oct 12, 2001
On Tue Dec 14, 2004 07:43 PM
*tosses potato chips at tomatochick*

You wanna mess??? Huh?? Huh??
By AuntFannymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1219, member since Mon Dec 06, 2004
On Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:55 PM
Great post linh! But exactly where do we cross the line between debating and rudeness?

*points to earlier post in this board* Ahem.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Wed Dec 15, 2004 03:53 AM
Since I can't see where you are pointing maybe you should point it out clearer or send a mod report, because I only see sarcasm that isn't intended to be rude...but I could be missing something?!?
By tutulessmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5351, member since Fri Mar 26, 2004
On Wed Dec 15, 2004 05:21 AM
*throws carrots at candace*

Yes, I do want to mess, because people are being way too friendly lately...
By barefootgracemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2827, member since Fri Oct 22, 2004
On Wed Dec 15, 2004 05:28 AM
Hugs to the tomato, just because i like being friendly. Most of the time.

My favorite line is: "Just think how boring the world would be if everybody thought the exact same way you did." Sometimes i forget.

And i DO know of a magical forum where everyone gets along, but the mods there work overtime, and it's my secret place. So i'm keeping it to myself. Ok, sometimes we have arguments, but debates are against TOS. Utopia gets boring after awhile, which is why i branched out. i think it's super-fun here!
By bunnie03member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1425, member since Fri Jul 05, 2002
On Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:55 AM
Since I can't see where you are pointing maybe you should point it out clearer or send a mod report, because I only see sarcasm that isn't intended to be rude...but I could be missing something?!?

maybe rudeness is now considered disagreeing with someone?

though last i checked, it was considered rude to point!! (kidding!!)
re: READ ME: About rudeness and arguments (karma: 1)
By tutufun Comments: 10793, member since Wed Sep 10, 2003
On Wed Dec 15, 2004 06:35 PM
I vividly recall the conversation that my dad and I had when I was a child. We were on our way from church. I don't remember the gist of the sermon, but it made me say something to the effect that there would be more peace and happiness if we were all more alike. That's when my dad said what you (Linh), stated.
"Just think how boring the world would be if everybody thought same exact way you did."

Thank you Linh!

TUTUFUN
By Writer123 Comments: 70, member since Tue Nov 30, 2004
On Thu Dec 16, 2004 01:41 PM
I agree with barefootgrace and her favorite line, life would be extemely boring. I think it is worth a laugh when you hear people go on about something and you know for a fact that it is totally incorrect, it is not even worth commenting on. You hear the saying
"Silence is Golden" and in a lot of cases this is correct.
writer
By dancinmum Comments: 1952, member since Wed Jul 16, 2003
On Sun Dec 19, 2004 07:54 PM
Thanks Linh, I tink there is a fine line between debate and rudeness. Personaly I love a good debate, get feelings out into the open and mostly you can reach a compromise.
Some people however dont want to compromise or even listen to another point of view, and I must admit I somtimes do the same in the heat of debate. So can I use this as an oppertunity to appologise if I have ever been rude!!

Mikki
By DejaDerangemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6188, member since Fri Mar 26, 2004
On Mon Dec 27, 2004 02:44 PM
This annoys me to no end:

Person posts life story. Life story is very long and full of poor grammar, spelling, and netslang. There is a noticeable lack of punctuation in the life story. Person asks others for advice on whether they should do thing A or thing B. Others reply, saying "thing B, thing B!" Person gets upset because person wanted people to say "Think A!" and didn't. Person claims everyone is attacking them because they are new/they have bad teeth/don't have a puppy/the others are mean. Others are disgusted.

I mean, COME ON. If you wanted to hear our OPINION, then don't claim we're attacking you when we give it. If you just want people to agree with you, don't post it.

*fumes*

Oh, yeah, almost forgot. Thanks linh!

Marian
re: READ ME: About rudeness and arguments (karma: 1)
By ItchyTorsomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 887, member since Tue Jan 11, 2005
On Wed Jan 26, 2005 09:09 AM
Thank you so much for posting that!

I just wish that if someone disagrees, that they would say it politely, without getting all defensive and angry. We all make mistakes, and sometimes what we type isn't 100% correct or just wasn't written clearly enough. Things can be misread or misunderstood, and there is no reason to get all touchy and annoyed.

Please, in the future, if you see a post you disagree with, post a calm polite reply. Make sure that before you begin attacking the author of the comment or get defensive, that you understand exactly what s/he is talking about. It could be that his/her point simply didn't come across clearly enough. I doubt that many people type things purposely to offend you, they are usually merely trying to help or get their point across.
Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch