Poll: General / Hip Hop / Capoeira

do you think capoueira is only about fighting?
By dance_crazy_93member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 353, member since Mon Dec 06, 2004
On Wed Dec 15, 2004 06:31 AM

i dont know really cuz our teacher puts us into pairs and makes us "fight" see what i mean and i thought there was also a dance aspect to it but the way its going with me id call it more a martial art where the point is combat

21 Replies to do you think capoueira is only about fighting?

re: do you think capoueira is only about fighting?
By Invent Comments: 1693, member since Wed Jan 14, 2004
On Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:32 PM
It is a martial art in which the point is self-defense. But the key operative word is ART. Cap. isn't about the individual... it is an artistic "sparring match" between two opponents. That is the beauty of it... it is like a duet of "fighters".
Invent
no but was
By jyoungin1 Comments: 24, member since Sat Jan 08, 2005
On Sun Jan 09, 2005 06:57 AM
Removed by soliloquy (28370) on 2005-03-08 21:28:40 Netslang. You, your, and what need to be typed out in full.
capoueira is not about fighting its was a martial art used along time ago in the slave era they used it to protect them selfes as well as have something to that was fun so i belive the thing about capoueira is that u are always in motion i forget some of the names but the very first move u learn is called jzaga its were u kinda squat not alot but u get low and u block your face and while blocking your face u protect ur feet by leaving nothing open and at the same time u stay in motion by crossing your feet one behind the other so right behind left and left behind right. then you learn a crouch were ur basicly as low as u can get to the ground and having your head tucked and u kinda fall or lean to the side . when you get more advanced you will learn kicks like the deadly habjahida if i remeber right that is what it is called . i forgot alot of the terms because my boy mark also the instrutor moved back to nyc and im from RI and i hear he had a kid since so ever since my boy mark left i quit dancing but i was watching one of the videos mark and his wife and I helped corographed and we also did a hiphop class to it was around the time when aliah died so we did a tribute to aliah in our schools talent show so i wanna get back into it for my self and + mark would be mad if he new i gave up because he always use to say i had alot of pottensal so if theres any one who remembers any move names and how to do them i might remeber how they are done thanks and if i can help any one with wat i remeber i would be glad to give wat i give for info

later
john
By dance_crazy_93member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 353, member since Mon Dec 06, 2004
On Wed Jan 19, 2005 06:29 AM
hey
i thought that it was mostly about fighting because in the first 3months of my lessons we only learned kicks and blocking and i thought there was a part that was dancing to it
now weve started doing proper hodas so ive finally understood the bit that is dancing .
btw
the squat position is not the jzinga it is the cadeira(chair in portugese)the jzinga is something completely different it is kind of the base of capoeira
By Keitsumember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 100, member since Tue Jan 04, 2005
On Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:13 AM
Only some of the time, however since there is no physical contact really in the art it really can't teach that well. Plus you have to realize a lot of these moves are impractical. You're not going to do some spinning hand stand kick to hit someone, its just impractical to do so. The same goes for a lot of martial arts out there like Tae Kwon Do which I am in. Kicking high is rather impractical. Capoeira however could be useful for low moves, because who is going to expect dropping to the floor and hitting someones legs to take them out? It would be effective in ways if the person doing Capoeira knows the meridian points on the legs to make a full effect. Not to mention Jinga is quite a good position not only will the opposer go "what the hell?" he also won't know what you are going to do next. The arm movement with Jinga is effective for defense and also in jinga you will be going around in a circle around your oppposer. However I do believe this art is mainly for beautiful "ART" purposes of Martial arts. It's a very beautiful art to watch especially maestres in the roda. It's definetly not only about fighting I must say.
re: do you think capoueira is only about fighting? (karma: 1)
By mantismag Comments: 406, member since Wed Jan 19, 2005
On Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:35 PM
capoeira is what you and your teacher make of it. it is a martial art but it was hidden inside of a dance. the dance is inseperable from it. you can lean either way with it. you can be very combative or you can turn it completely into a dance with no competition or violent intent whatsoever. as a dance it becomes a wonderful sort of improv duet with interactions and energy flow that is really amazing. as a fight there capoeira is very tricky. you never know what a capoeirista is going to do. they are always trying to mislead you and push you into a vulnerable position. this is called malicia.

i don't know what the hell some of the things you people are trying to say are. the basic movement is called ginga. crouching and leaning to the side could be negativa. meridian points? since when do you need meridian points to sweep somebody? and in terms of efficacy some of the kicks are quite powerful. keep in mind that the african slaves who created capoeira actually used it to revolt against their masters.
By ms_michellemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 69, member since Wed Dec 29, 2004
On Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:28 PM
I teach capoeria at my high school in australia as part of our "world dance unit"

I learnt some movements at university and i learnt it as an art/dance, not as a fighting thing...

I think that the fluidity and grace that is required in capoeria makes it an art and not a fighting dance. the connection betweent the beat and the dancers and the flow of the rhythm and the motions definately make it art and not otherwise!

besides, i don't really think that you could use it to defend yourself as unless the other person knew capoeria, you wouldn't really get anywhere as the fighting poses are not really "convential" poses? does that make sense!

anyway

stay groovy - and keep dancing!
On Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:49 PM
it can be effective with some minor modifications. remember the slaves who created it weren't just doing this for fun or to express themselves. this was serious and capoeira was used successfully in several slave revolts. the main aspects of capoeira that make it a useful martial art are the constant motion and what is called malicia. malicia means misleading and tricky. the basic movement of capoeira is the ginga. it incorporates constant movement in three dimensions, something which most fighters are not used to. a capoeirista can strike from positions and at levels that are unusual and unexpected. the kicks are also quite powerful. so if you cut out some of the fancier stuff and throw those kicks like you mean it capoeira can certainly be used in a fight.
By ms_michellemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 69, member since Wed Dec 29, 2004
On Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:07 PM
i suppose that this is true i never really thought about the "history" behind the dance, although i know it and tell it to my kids every year when i teach it but i had never made the connection to the original fight and fight today!

i also agree with you about all those people who were writing crazy names for things, i learnt the terms ginga and malicia too! i wasn't even aware what everybody else was trying to say earlier!

but anyways... cheers all
have a groovy day!
re: do you think capoueira is only about fighting? (karma: 1)
On Fri Feb 04, 2005 01:12 AM
well you have to remember that slavery wasn't outlawed in brazil until 1888. capoeira was outlawed in 1892 in the brazilian republic's first constitution. this is because freed slaves who could not get employment and had no skills but fighting often turned to crime. capoeira wasn't legalized until the 1930's. there are still people around who trained under bimba and pastinha the people who legitimized capoeira. the point is capoeira's violent past is not all that long ago. even today, in brazil, studying capoeira can be quite dangerous. in some of the rougher areas of brazil there are street fights involving capoeira schools and brazilian jiu jutsu schools.
By deddrunk Comments: 47, member since Wed Jan 12, 2005
On Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:01 PM
speaking of people who trained under mestre bimba...have you heard of mestre deputado? we had the pleasure of having him do a workshop for us last year the night before our batizado.....good stuff
On Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:27 AM
wow that's awesome. i saw his name in a book that my instructor lent me. it was a book of this guy's experiences in brazil studying under bimba and pastinha. he met most of the big name players. i was surprised to see all these familiar names like accordeon and suassuna. it was a very interesting read. too bad i had to skim a lot of it. this was just before finals so i didn't have much time and wanted to return it before winter break.
By screamhop Comments: 53, member since Mon Jan 24, 2005
On Thu Feb 24, 2005 09:52 AM
na. theres too much peace in it to be a real fight.The laughter, the music, the shaking of hands. And the flow of the movements is right on the border of martial arts and dance...in fact many martial arts are so graceful you feel like people are dancing...like the fighting in hidden tiger crouching dragon.

its a different type of energy than ballet where everything is strenuous and tight...its not softly flowing like modern...nor as sharp as jazz...its itself!!!
And thats why i luv it.
By Dream_chaserPremium member Comments: 25854, member since Thu Jul 26, 2001
On Sat Oct 20, 2007 09:37 AM
Since I know nothing about it, I looked it up.

martialarts.about.com . . .
By Funkdamentalist Comments: 231, member since Fri Mar 19, 2004
On Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:09 AM
From a fundamental point if view Capoeira would be considered a martial-art. However, due to its history and development it has always been intrinsically linked with dance (the style was developed to look like a dance, so that slave workers could practice it in plain view of their masters). So to say Capoeira was ever only about fighting is impossible and ignorant of its history.

With the rise in popularity of breakdancing, and with the decline of practical use of the martial arts I believe many Capoeira groups do concentrate on the dance aspects; however, that being said it obviously depends on the Capoeira group you're with- because many do still keep strong martial-arts ties because of the discipline and mental aspects that accompany a martial art.
By robsmith Comments: 20, member since Mon Mar 03, 2008
On Sun Nov 30, 2008 01:06 PM
i done some capoueira classes there well good i might start doing some more and get beter
By Narahari2 Comments: 62, member since Thu Nov 29, 2001
On Tue Jun 28, 2011 03:32 PM
Capoeira is about fighting; that does not mean that it is fighting.

One of the people in my group visited another group, and he came back complaining about the strange and useless moves that they were doing. He liked our group better because we were more combative. Much later, long after he had quit, our teacher explained the combative purposes of those moves. Since I have never seen what he told us in print, I will not be the first to publish.
The fancy flashy moves, may not be used in combat, but knowing them, and, better, knowing them well enough to use them in the roda, enhances your awareness, and mobility, which is always good in combat.
Capoeira has given me much more ability to handle myself in a real fight, than karate or judo did.
By Bboy_hawaii142 Comments: 1, member since Sat Mar 10, 2012
On Sun Mar 11, 2012 08:47 AM
I've been with a few mestres and all of them said capoeira is not about just pure fighting. It's everything put together like the rythm, the movements, and the energy of the roda (circle). Capoeira is not Nplace to have enemies but to make peace and make friends. When you knock someone down you help them up and shake their hand. When you get knocked down, you smile. Capoeira isn't about only fighting. It goes way beyond that. It's a way to teach the rhythm of everything around you in everyday life.
By leannescullion Comments: 13, member since Thu Aug 12, 2010
On Thu May 01, 2014 03:59 AM
Is this capoireira a type of street:/hip hop dance????? Is it like marsical arts at all?????
By eurobb Comments: 1, member since Sun Jun 28, 2015
On Sun Jun 28, 2015 05:10 PM
no i do not think it is all about fighting at all, i always have fun dancing it at our dance studio
By PhilipRehn Comments: 6, member since Mon Aug 01, 2016
On Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:06 PM
No, yes it has the principle of a martial art style but it focus on the discipline of ones self. Like dancing. =)
By TrumpetsGo Comments: 14, member since Wed Jul 20, 2016
On Wed Aug 03, 2016 08:00 PM
Capoueira is a dance like an ethnic dance, it's just an history about fighting long time ago, but they do that as a dance to expressed their serenity :)

ReplySendWatch