Forum: Arts / Books

Page:
Page 1 of 61 2 3 4 5 6
Books
The Ultimate Teen Girl Books (karma: 7)
By emo_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 106, member since Sun Oct 24, 2004
On Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:07 AM
Made sticky by MIClogger (28613) on 2005-01-04 22:57:11

I don't think this has been done specifically, and coming from a teen girl that reads probably more than she should, I think that we need to put together a sort of... prescription list for teen girls to read (and I'm not being sexist, boys - it's just, I'm a girl... and I don't go through boy puberty, sorry).

*Are You There God? It's Me, Margret, By Judy Blume (pre-teen angst about getting your period and being flat chested - two things I did not have to worry about in middle school, unfortunately).

*Forever, By Judy Blume (Falling in love with someone that you think you will love forever... But even forever has an end)

*The Alice Series, by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor (Alice is a believable character that goes through all girl problems - period, boyfriend, friend being molested when younger, being dumped, making out on your front porch and getting caught by your dad... I related a lot)

*Go Ask Alice, by Anonymous (sp) (The author of this diary was alive in the seventies and did drugs, etc, and it shows how doing the extremely bad drugs, like LSD and other hallucinagetics (again, sp) can lead your life into a downward spiral)

*The Diary of Anne Frank, By Anne Frank (Because it shows that even though a girl is locked inside for two and a half years while German Nazi's are brutually massacreing your people, you can still fall in love and be confused about sex and periods and all of that)

*Someone Like You, by Sarah Dessen (Falling in love for the first time with your protective mother and pregnant best friend thinking they know what's best for you, but coming at you from two completely different angles, while the boy you love is divine and confusing... Wow, I think that was my life right there)

That's all I can think of now... Add as you feel appropriate!!

emo_dancer

131 Replies to The Ultimate Teen Girl Books

re: The Ultimate Teen Girl Books
By Tiz_member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1853, member since Mon Feb 03, 2003
On Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:24 AM
This is such a good idea for a post! I've always been a big reader, I love summer holidays because I dont have to study so I can read any books that I want to! I go through about 10 books in the first couple weeks then force myself to slow down because I start to run out of books to read!

An awesome writer for teenagers is John Marsden. Im not sure if his books have been released outside of Australia but he is an awesome writer! His most popular books would probably be The Tomorrow series, it's 7 books (I think?) and it starts with a book called Tomorrow, When the War Began. Basically it's a fictional work about Australia being invaded, he never ever blames a real country they're just known as the invaders pretty much. A group of friends goes camping in the bush and when they come back they realise that something's wrong - the people invaded on a national day where everyone was at showgrounds and that sort of thing celebrating, so it was easy to capture a majority of people straight away.

The group of friends manage to survive, it's mainly about them fighting and about guerilla attacks and stuff but then there's also a lot of growing up that they do over the time, and relationships, that sort of thing. When I read them I cant put them down!

Incidentally, do you wear glasses? I know... strange question, but it can affect the development of your eyes if you spend all your time reading and it can make you myopic. Im a classic example of this - neither of my parents wear glasses but I cant see more than 20cm in front of my face without them on!
By TapperGirl Comments: 747, member since Thu Jun 17, 2004
On Wed Dec 22, 2004 08:30 PM
dancing_solas, those John Marsden books (Tomorrow Series) are some of my favourites! They're excellent!

I'd reccomend Jacqueline Wilson's teen books, 'Girls in Love', 'Girls Under Pressure', 'Girls out late' and 'Girls in Tears'. They're about three best friends, Ellie, Nadine and Magda... who deal with eating disorders (Girls under Pressure), boyfriends, friendship troubles, high school, and problems in general.

Great post!
By GrishkoGirl Comments: 958, member since Wed Oct 13, 2004
On Sun Dec 26, 2004 08:33 PM
I love the alice series!! i would definatly say

The Sisterhood Of the Travelling Pants and its sequel The Second Summer of the Sisterhood.- The title is strange but it is SO good!!!!!!

Mates and Dates series- great!!!you can't stop reading them

TTYL- a book all through IM (very cool)

Truth of Dare series- similar to mates and dates(same author), about a group of girls , all friends

Fiona's Private Pages-journal of a girl-very good

all i can think of right now.

grishkoGirl
By DaNcEnSpOrTzBeBe Comments: 1869, member since Thu Nov 06, 2003
On Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:27 AM
The Truth About Forever- Sarah Dessen
(Taken from the synopsis)-A long dull summer stretches ahead of Macy while hre boyfriend Jason is away at "brain camp." Days will be spent at a boring job in the library, evenings will be filled with vocabulary drills for the SATs, and spare time will be passed with her mother, the 2 of them sharing a silent grief at the traumatic loss of her father.
But sometimes unexpected things can happen-things like the catering job at Wish with its fun-loving chaotic crew. Or her sister's project of renovating the neglected beach house, awakening long-buried memories. Things like meeting Wes, a boy with a past, a taste for Truth-telling, and an amazing artistic talent, the kind of boy who cuold turn any girls world upside down. As Macy ventures out of her shell, she begins to wonder if it really is better to be safe than sorry.

I am about half way through the book, and I just can't put it down :)
By emo_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 106, member since Sun Oct 24, 2004
On Tue Dec 28, 2004 08:37 PM
Jeez, I'm a freaktard... I only own every single Sarah Dessen book.

Someone Like You and That Summer were put together to make the movie How To Deal, starring Mandy Moore. Movie didn't do either books justice, and they rock. Truth About Forever is good, and so is Dreamland (SAD) and This Lullaby (main character angers me so).

Thanks for the replies, you guys rock!
By DaNcEnSpOrTzBeBe Comments: 1869, member since Thu Nov 06, 2003
On Thu Dec 30, 2004 03:45 PM
Oh yeah, Also A Walk To Remember is a great book. I loved it a lot :) It is based on the movie, but not exactly like it. This book made me cry it5 was so good :)
By amarathPremium member Comments: 5926, member since Sat Apr 19, 2003
On Fri Dec 31, 2004 05:17 PM
I love John Marsden! He's such an excellent author ... *fawns*
By sungurl20 Comments: 2938, member since Sat Oct 18, 2003
On Sat Jan 01, 2005 02:31 PM
This should defintely be a sticky! Thanks a bunch!

~*Jessica*~
On Sat Jan 01, 2005 03:32 PM
Do the mods make it a sticky or does the poster (hehe me) make it one?? I'm not hip to the sticky dance.net lingo...
By sungurl20 Comments: 2938, member since Sat Oct 18, 2003
On Sat Jan 01, 2005 05:18 PM
I'll see what I can do! ;) But just so you know for next time, press the MOD button. I was going to before but I guess I forgot.

~*Jessica*~
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5930, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Sat Jan 01, 2005 05:49 PM
Edited by balletbaby1414 (54968) on 2005-01-01 17:41:42
Two that I've just read...

The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants...Four best friends are split up for the summer in different places in the world. Follow their troubles and heartaches and loves, etc. There is also a sequel about the second summer which I haven't read yet.

Confessions of a Shopoholic...This is a trilogy (I've only read the first so far) about a London woman who can't stop shopping and is already deeply in debt. It's pretty funny to see how someone can be so stupid, lol.

balletbaby1414
By cheerocracy Comments: 256, member since Fri Sep 27, 2002
On Sun Jan 02, 2005 08:16 AM
i'd also nominate the "cofessions of georgia nicholson" series! it's hilarious and relevant, to people living in the UK, at least.
By CoolLilChickymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 124, member since Thu Nov 11, 2004
On Fri Jan 07, 2005 05:02 PM
I second "Confessions of a Shopoholic" FUNNY books! i read all three of them and saw there is a fourth(?) one coming out... YAY
Re: The Ultimate Teen Girl Books
By luv2dance4eva_member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 365, member since Mon Jan 03, 2005
On Sat Jan 08, 2005 01:34 AM
I like the series of Gossip Girl books and any Jacqueline Wilson books!

Bex
By Ishkabiblelymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 832, member since Sat Oct 23, 2004
On Thu Jan 13, 2005 05:45 PM
Wow, i'm amazed no one has mentioned my favorite teen girl book: Speak

Its really depressing and deals with some serious topics, but also captures everyday teenage life very well: like friends, labels, teachers, alot of things.

There is also another book out by the same author called Catalyst about a senior in high school (Speak's main character is a freshman), and deals with the pressures of getting into collage, among other things.
On Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:21 PM
In seventh grade my english teacher tried to read it out loud, but that didn't work out ;) I didn't really like Speak because I didn't really love the prose but it did deal with important issues.

I read some more books (or remembered) that I would like to add to the list:

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides **Dark and depressing but really interesting and written in a unique narrative style... sort of gives you a boys point of view on a lot of things so that is why it made the list**

The Year of Secret Missions by Morriarty (I don't remember the title or the author 100% and I'm writing this at my sister's... LOL... But it's about three best friends that are writing letters to three boy friends at another school, and all the drama and comedy that ensues. There is loads of comedy, let me tell ya... or read it for yourself)

That's all I got. Sorry.
By hottstuff18 Comments: 1185, member since Fri Nov 12, 2004
On Sat Jan 15, 2005 06:03 PM
It Happened to Nancy is a book told by a woman who was raped. It is AWESOME and I encourage you to read it to raise your awareness level.
By Iridescencemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1686, member since Thu May 20, 2004
On Sat Jan 15, 2005 06:07 PM
Feeling Sorry for Celia, and Finding Cassie Crazy by Jaclyn Moriarty are amazing books :)
By Dance_Angel2 Comments: 717, member since Sun Feb 01, 2004
On Sun Jan 16, 2005 08:07 PM
Just a note: A Walk to Remember was a book first. The movie was based off the book. If you've seen the movie and loved it, read the book. If you saw the movie and hated it, read the book. I absolutely love the book and am very depressed that I cannot find my copy of it...

To add to the list:

Caroline B. Cooney's books

Lurlene McDaniel's books

Tithe by Holly Black

-Ker
By dance4life89 Comments: 5719, member since Fri Dec 07, 2001
On Sun Jan 16, 2005 08:31 PM
Perfect by Natasha Friend-eating disorder related
I just finsihed it this morning and really opened up my mind.

Go Ask Alice was amazing.
By dancegal2002 Comments: 924, member since Tue Feb 11, 2003
On Tue Jan 18, 2005 01:39 AM
-Jacqueline Wilson books - girls in tears, girls under pressure, Lola Rose.
- Anna of Green Gables ( could have already been mentioned)
- The Diary Of Anna Frank (also could have been mentioned)
By dancer4jtt Comments: 613, member since Thu Dec 30, 2004
On Sat Jan 22, 2005 08:24 AM
Edited by dancer4jtt (117769) on 2005-01-22 08:14:59 really bad typos!
I wnat to read "Are you There God, Its me, Margaret," really bad. I think Ill buy it when I go to the mall today.
By Shnaynaymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9967, member since Sat Aug 03, 2002
On Sun Jan 23, 2005 02:56 AM
I love the Alice books, too! I think EVERY teenage girl can relate to them, no matter who they are, what music they like, what kind of people they hang out with, etc.

Gingerbread was a great book - an angsty, troubled girl from California is sent to New York to meet her birth-father, and brother and sister, and discovers love for her mother and step-father ... and realizes that her one true love is NOT over.

The Anistasia Krupnik books are good - I've been reading those for years, and they're funny, insightful, and are definately going to expand your vocabulary. :)

peace out
sh'naynay
i heart books
By PaSSiOnaTe_DrEaM Comments: 345, member since Sun Jan 12, 2003
On Wed Jan 26, 2005 03:38 PM
a lot of the books that I love have already been mentioned but I recommend, "Annie's Baby" it is much like Go Ask Alice, because it was a diary of a real girl that was edited and sold to increase awareness of teen pregnancy. It's an awesome book.
Page:
Page 1 of 61 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch