Forum: Arts / Books

Page:
Page 2 of 61 2 3 4 5 6
re: The Ultimate Teen Girl Books (karma: 1)
By Dancing_Forevermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3147, member since Sun Nov 24, 2002
On Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:33 PM
Edited by DaNcE_RuLeS (50177) on 2005-02-04 22:26:51 adding a few more!
Edited by DaNcE_RuLeS (50177) on 2005-02-04 22:27:22
Edited by DaNcE_RuLeS (50177) on 2005-02-04 22:27:56 sorry this thing went all messed!
Edited by DaNcE_RuLeS (50177) on 2005-02-04 22:29:44
Oh my gosh! This is like the perfect thread for me!!!! I'm absolutely in love with teen books, even though i'm currently trying to branch out to new things with my reading (more classics etc.) anyways... passionate_dream- i read Annie's baby too! i loved it, and so totally agree with your recommendation!!!
ok i'd also recommend:

*All Sarah Dessen books- they are absolutely amazing!!!!

*Define Normal- Julie Ann Peters
*Sloppy Firsts- Megan Mcafferty
*Second Helpings- Megan Mcafferty
*Say Goodnight Gracie- Julie Reece Deever
*Don't look behind you- Lois Duncan
*Among Friends- Caroline B. Cooney
*The Face on the Milk Carton- Caronline B. Cooney
*A Time for Dancing (i'm sure everyone's read this!) but there's the sequel too- The farther you run!!! -Davida Wills Hurwin
*Cut- Patricia McCormick
*Out of the Ashes- Valerie Sherrard
*Feeling Sorry for Celia- Jaclyn Moriarty
*Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants- Ann Brashares
*P.S Longer Letter Later- Paula Danziger & Ann M. Martin
*Snail Mail No More- Paula Danziger & Ann M. Martin
*Catcher in the Rye- J.D Salinger
*Aimee- Mary Beth Miller
*Flipped- Wendelin Van Draaen
*Probably Still Nick Swansen- Virginia Euwer Wolff
*True Believer- Virginia Euwer Wolff

And i prob could think of more too- pm me if u want.
can u say bookworm? lol!

luv ang
re: The Ultimate Teen Girl Books
By faery_floss Comments: 328, member since Sat Feb 15, 2003
On Sat Feb 05, 2005 03:58 AM
I agree with John Marsden, Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants, Anne of Green Gables and Diary of Anne Frank but am astounded at the general lack of classics! What about Susan Coolidge (What Katy Did), Little Women, Bronte sisters and the very many young woman orientated classics out there?

But if classics aren't your thing then 'Looking for Alibrandi' is amazing too. Forget the movie, this book is about personal and cultural identity, boys, first boyfriends, losing virginity, friendships, mother-daughter relationaships, sepeerated parents and a whole bunch of big issues. And it's frickin' hilarious too! Also by Melina Marchetta is 'Saving Franchesca' which cover similiar issues on sex, friends, boys, etc, but also a lot about depression and self discovery. And is also extremely humourous.

I repeat: READ LOOKING FOR ALIBRANDI!!!
Books
By danceshorty Comments: 22, member since Tue Sep 28, 2004
On Sat Feb 05, 2005 09:46 AM
i recommend anything by Lurene McDaniel! she is awesome:)
By caliangel91 Comments: 403, member since Thu Dec 30, 2004
On Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:04 PM
Hey thanks! I needed another few books to read
By dancegal2002 Comments: 924, member since Tue Feb 11, 2003
On Tue Feb 08, 2005 09:27 PM
I agree Looking for albrandi rocks, i've read the book twice, and watched the movie countless ammounts of times, hehe.
By ReelCanadianGurl Comments: 742, member since Fri Jul 18, 2003
On Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:55 PM
Two teen books I like are
-Kissed by an Angel (collecters edition trilogy) by Elizabeth Chandler

-Don't Let Me Die! by Kindsay Cladwell

I read both of those books a couple years ago but I really liked them.

Two other books I really enjoyed were
-Where The Heart Is by Billie Letts

-White Oleander by Janet Fitch

They are girl books but not as much teen books. Pre teens or Teens who only enjoy light hearted books wouldnt enjoy these as much. But definatly my 2 favorites!!!
By Dancing_Forevermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3147, member since Sun Nov 24, 2002
On Sun Feb 20, 2005 01:40 PM
Here's another-
How the light gets in- M.J Hyland

I haven't read it yet but it sounds invigorating! Apparently the protagonist shares similar traits with Holden Caufield...yes i'm a Catcher fan!!!!
great book list
By dANCEdiVA33 Comments: 21, member since Sat Feb 26, 2005
On Sat Feb 26, 2005 01:26 PM
hEY guys!! i have been a major reader almost my entire life..i love books dealing with the hard problems of teen girls!!..here are some of my faves::

~ The Sisterhood of the traveling paints series by Anne Brashares
~Dreamland by Sarah Dessen
~Kessa (a ballerina with anorexia)
~Kim (memoir of a gymnast with bulimia)
~The Truth About Forever- by Sarah Dessen
~Go Ask Alice
~Cut
~Second Helpings by Megan McCafferty
~Reviving Ophelia

if you guys want anymore just let me know!

xOx....dANCEdiVA
By Dying2Dance Comments: 104, member since Sun Oct 17, 2004
On Fri Mar 11, 2005 06:19 PM
I absolutely LOVE the Gossip Girl and Alice series books! Also, any books by Lurlene McDaniel. (even though they are kind of depressing!)
By MiaMiSdAnCinQt08member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 144, member since Sun Feb 13, 2005
On Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:58 PM
aimme
cut
go ask alice(all time favorite)
By lemony Comments: 1134, member since Wed Feb 12, 2003
On Thu Mar 31, 2005 08:26 AM
I'm with DaNcE_rUlEs, I love Catcher in the Rye, honestly I couldn't put that book down.I have a feeling I might marry a guy like Holden... lol

Pick that book up gals

love emsy xxx
By ErBear Comments: 552, member since Mon Dec 06, 2004
On Wed Apr 06, 2005 07:45 PM
i hate teen books ugg
Go Ask Alice is a FRAUD
By LoriLynn Comments: 1234, member since Wed Jan 30, 2002
On Mon Apr 25, 2005 06:02 PM
Edited by LoriLynn (20591) on 2005-04-25 17:52:43
Go Ask Alice was NOT a real diary.
It was written by a middle aged woman doctor.
There was no Alice.

I know this because I worked in a public library and I was shelving the books. The librarians were laughing because I shelved Go Ask Alice in the biography section. They told me it goes in Young Adult Fiction because it IS fiction and then they told me who wrote it. The author is listed, but as the editor. Her name is Beatrice Sparks. She was a middle aged woman that wrote a few books for teenagers.
I promise this is what I was told by the librarians!
By KeepOnSinginPremium member Comments: 12372, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Sat May 07, 2005 12:05 PM
Edited by MissYou009 (116683) on 2005-05-07 12:12:08
Edited by MissYou009 (116683) on 2005-05-07 12:24:38
Anything by: Lurene McDaniel,Sharon Creech (I can't believe nobody mentioned her...An especially good teen girl book by her is Bloomability),Caroline B. Cooney are bound to be good reads!Also,the Beatrice Sparks books Jay's Journal,and It Happned to Nancy are totally awesome!

On the note of Beatrice Sparks:Here is an interesting article that I found- www.shutitdown.net . . .
By dancinjesswessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 281, member since Thu May 05, 2005
On Thu May 12, 2005 10:19 AM
I absolouty love Meg Cabot books! They are just so good, I really want to read this book called Chocolat but I don't know who it's by!
Jessica
By candi Comments: 808, member since Sat Jul 14, 2001
On Fri May 13, 2005 06:48 AM
If you want a relaxing little fantasy try some of the Beverly Cleary books for older readers. My favourite is "The Luckiest Girl" while "Jean and Johnny" was also quite good. Others include "Fifteen" and "Sister of the Bride"
They are definitly not an advanced reading level, but the are quite entertaining!
By ILdancer Comments: 442, member since Wed Aug 04, 2004
On Sun May 22, 2005 07:30 PM
I love Catcher in the Rye! Who cares if it's about a guy, it's more about being an almost-adult. White Oleander is very good, but I wouldn't consider that a teenage book. It's not exactly bubblegum. Also, Speak and Catalyst are very good and very fast reads.
ad this
By southerndancegur Comments: 405, member since Sat Feb 12, 2005
On Thu Jun 02, 2005 03:47 PM
I think you should ad "What my Mother Doesn't Know" to the List
By twirlabelle Comments: 349, member since Sat May 29, 2004
On Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:00 AM
I would totally agree with everything, but would also add the Lioness series by Tamora Pierce. Sure it is very much a fanasy, but being a girl in a mgical kingdom is the same as being a girl now. I definitely related to the main character, and the books were super good.

I also really enjoyed little Women, and I cried literally the hole time I read it. And another one of my favorites, The Giver by Lois Lowry. It is incredibly written, and the other books in the series, Gathering Blue and The MEssanger, are very good indeed.

-twirl-
By dancer4life101 Comments: 117, member since Tue Apr 05, 2005
On Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:51 PM
a nother good book is The Lullaby by Sarah Dessen. that is my favorite book i have read it so many times alredy. i am doing to check out thet other books you said are good.
*~prisicilla~* :)
By baby_liyahmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 552, member since Wed Jan 02, 2002
On Sun Jun 05, 2005 05:25 PM
Pop Princess- Rachel Cohn. I love this book, it is hilarious and Mrs. Mike
By danceforyourlife Comments: 121, member since Sun Jun 05, 2005
On Sun Jun 05, 2005 07:26 PM
I've read both speak and catalyst they were bothe very good and delt with sterotyping in schools
By dancer4life101 Comments: 117, member since Tue Apr 05, 2005
On Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:15 AM
yesterday i picked up "someone like you" and aome one else put that book "time for dancing". well i have only started "time for dancing" it is pretty good so far. :)
*~priscilla~*
By dancingqueen18 Comments: 481, member since Sat Jun 11, 2005
On Mon Jun 13, 2005 02:59 PM
I like CLICK HERE(to find out how i survived seventh grade)by Denise Vega(her main charechter and me share qualeties)and this book caled DEFINE NORMAL is good too.
Peace Out, dancingqueen18 :D
By jillybeans53member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 766, member since Thu Nov 20, 2003
On Thu Jun 16, 2005 08:20 PM
Somebody recommended the book "Gingerbread" and also the Geogia Nicholson series that starts with "Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging." And I love the Gossip Girl series.

None of them really have any sentimental value or morals. Gingerbread has some sentiment-osity to it as the main character learns a few lessons and opens up to her parents. The others are just for fun. :D
Page:
Page 2 of 61 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch