Forum: Arts / Books

Page:
Page 4 of 61 2 3 4 5 6
re: The Ultimate Teen Girl Books
By DanceFreak247 Comments: 2519, member since Thu Dec 30, 2004
On Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:39 PM
Edited by DanceFreak247 (117785) on 2006-03-05 23:44:15
The A-List series and Confessions of Georgia Nicholson series are great! I love them both. A Time for Dancing is absolutely awesome, I cried the entire time. Cut is also a good book, can't remember who writes it. The book itself is a black paperback and says "Cut" on it with a big red scrawl on the front. Perfect, is another great book. Can't remember who writes it either but it's a pink paperback. If you're a huge RENThead, Without You: A Memoir of Love, Loss, and the Musical RENT by Anthony Rapp is an absolutely amazing book. It's great even if you aren't a huge RENThead! Again, I cried throughout the entire book. It's beautiful, and extremely touching. It's been very helpful to me in that I am grieving because of the death of my grandmother, and it's helped me deal a bit because of the subject matter the book deals with.P.S. - It is true about Go Ask Alice and It Happened to Nancy being fiction. If you read them both, they have similar vocabulary usage and the way they are written are really similar. And on the back I think of It Happened to Nancy, there's a little section about Beatrice Sparks, if I'm not mistaken...
By Myka Comments: 190, member since Sat Feb 04, 2006
On Tue Mar 14, 2006 04:10 PM
Lol, I love Sarah Dessen too!!
I loved The Truth About Forever - there's not really a huge plot or alot of action, but I couldn't put it down!

I've also read the Lioness series by Tamora Pierce. I like Tamora Pierce's books in general, they are good.
By darkeyed_angelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 577, member since Fri Jan 23, 2004
On Wed Mar 15, 2006 06:00 AM
I love the Alice series! I was completely addicted to them, and I still am. =D

Though not entirely relevant, I have always enjoyed Meg Cabot's books. I love nicholas sparks as well, and for fantasy, Tamora Pierce never fails me.

of course, sophie kinsella's shopaholic series are classic to me. I adore pride and prejudice too. XP

MeL~
By KiweeTee Comments: 266, member since Sat Feb 18, 2006
On Wed Apr 12, 2006 07:46 PM
I absolutley love 'The Clique' books! I can't wait until the next one comes out (in August :()
re: The Ultimate Teen Girl Books (karma: 1)
By dance_islife Comments: 128, member since Sun Mar 06, 2005
On Sun Jun 04, 2006 07:17 PM
Girl, Interrupted. It's a true story of a teenager in a mental hospital, but deals with a lot of insecurities that we get. Some very funny commentary as well, particularly for anyone who's ever been to a shrink.
By irish_dancer4Himmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 532, member since Sat Jun 10, 2006
On Fri Jun 16, 2006 03:07 PM
Ok I have read QUITE a few good books

Lori Wick is a GREAT author
Janette Oak is my favorite
Laurine Snelling is ok some of her books are really funny
Traci Peterson is also a good author

I would write books but I would have a page as long as my arm!!! but try these authors, they are great!!!
By chicky13 Comments: 689, member since Wed May 18, 2005
On Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:36 PM
i've read The Diary of Anne Frank. we read it in class so the guys kept twisting everything up so it might've made more sense if i just read it on my own. :?

i've also heard of the book Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret and that it was very good and i've also heard of the Alice series.

my friend gave me a book that isnt exactly a journal or story it's more of a detailed description of how to make new friends just for teen girls. it's How to Win Friends and Influence People for Teen Girls. im not sure who the author was though...
By charlanflingermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1428, member since Tue May 17, 2005
On Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:31 AM
Any Meg Cabot books!! She is definatly my favorite author! Every book of hers that I start to read, I can never put down! They are like an addiction! :P

I also really like the Gossip Girl series and a lot of the books already mentioned throughout this thread!
By Riellemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1280, member since Sat Jul 08, 2006
On Thu Aug 10, 2006 06:34 PM
o, wow thanks for those books, they all look good!
By Sparkle_Dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1585, member since Thu Apr 28, 2005
On Fri Sep 01, 2006 01:15 PM
A boy's-eye viwe of girls by Peter Filichia

It's a great book with loads of information that can help girls out in diferent ways. It's small book it haves only 118 pages and 8 chapters but it's information it's really interasting.

So if you have the chance to read it I recomend it :)
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8820, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Mon Sep 04, 2006 02:20 PM
I could KICK myself for getting onto this thread-- I know that there's another thread that speaks of the book/movie "Girl Interrupted", and I've seen the movie, but I've yet to read the book. (I'm even wondering if I can submit a post onto that thread, because it's been awhile...)

What do you all think about the book? Do you think the movie did the book justice? Do you think that there were areas in the movie that overshadowed the book? I'd love to hear your opinions.

I just wanted to add some books that I read when I was going through junior high school and high school:

-- Are You There God, It's Me Margaret -- of course
-- The Genie of Sutton Place
-- J.T. -- loved it -- still love it
-- Johnny Tremain -- classic
-- the Black Stallion series by Walter Farley
-- Anne MacCaffrey's Dragon books -- Dragonflight, Dragonquest, the White Dragon and Dragonsong, DragonSinger, Dragondrums
-- Freaky Friday -- the book was great -- the movie blew me away!
-- The Trilogy of Earthsea (before Ursula LeGuin wrote the other books that went along with the series): Wizard of Earthsea, the Tombs of Atuan, the Farthest Shore.
I started reading the Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny -- "Nine Princes in Amber, the Guns of Avalon, the Sign of the Unicorn,
-- also by Zelazny -- Damnation Alley
-- the Pushcart War by Jean Merrill

I'm sure I can think up some others...

There's one that I can't remember the title of, but it's set in New York City, with two girls who are going through junior high school, and they live on different floors in this big apartment building, deal with school hassles together, and hang with the building superintendant who ties rags on his feet and skates around his kitchen floor, essentially getting it to gleam. The title of the book completely escapes me at this point.

S.
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8820, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Mon Sep 04, 2006 02:28 PM
Removed by hylndlas (107168) on 2006-09-05 13:18:01 double post
I could KICK myself for getting onto this thread-- I know that there's another thread that speaks of the book/movie "Girl Interrupted", and I've seen the movie, but I've yet to read the book. (I'm even wondering if I can submit a post onto that thread, because it's been awhile...)

What do you all think about the book? Do you think the movie did the book justice? Do you think that there were areas in the movie that overshadowed the book? I'd love to hear your opinions.

I just wanted to add some books that I read when I was going through junior high school and high school:

-- Are You There God, It's Me Margaret -- of course
-- The Genie of Sutton Place
-- J.T. -- loved it -- still love it
-- Johnny Tremain -- classic
-- the Black Stallion series by Walter Farley
-- Anne MacCaffrey's Dragon books -- Dragonflight, Dragonquest, the White Dragon and Dragonsong, DragonSinger, Dragondrums
-- Freaky Friday -- the book was great -- the movie blew me away!
-- The Trilogy of Earthsea (before Ursula LeGuin wrote the other books that went along with the series): Wizard of Earthsea, the Tombs of Atuan, the Farthest Shore.
I started reading the Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny -- "Nine Princes in Amber, the Guns of Avalon, the Sign of the Unicorn,
-- also by Zelazny -- Damnation Alley
-- the Pushcart War by Jean Merrill

I'm sure I can think up some others...

There's one that I can't remember the title of, but it's set in New York City, with two girls who are going through junior high school, and they live on different floors in this big apartment building, deal with school hassles together, and hang with the building superintendant who ties rags on his feet and skates around his kitchen floor, essentially getting it to gleam. The title of the book completely escapes me at this point.

S.
By AllThatJazzz Comments: 93, member since Fri Aug 04, 2006
On Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:22 AM
anything by Sharon Creech
Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (sp?)
The Noughts and Crosses series by Malorie Blackman
Feeling Sorry for Celia and Finding Cassie Crazy by Jaclyn Moriarty
The Devil Wears Prada
By AllThatJazzz Comments: 93, member since Fri Aug 04, 2006
On Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:47 PM
and:
Loser By Jerry Spinelli (I bought it on saturday.... fanctastic!)
By ali_ballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 987, member since Sat Feb 11, 2006
On Sun Oct 29, 2006 01:59 AM
Edited by ali_ballerina (151389) on 2006-10-29 02:01:45
"On the Jelicoe Road" By Melinda Marchetta - I LOVED this book
"Saving Francesca" By Melinda Marchetta
"Looking for Alibrandi" By Melinda Marchetta
"Feeling sorry for Celia" By Jaclyn Moriarty
"The Year of Secret Assignments" By Jaclyn Moriarty
"The Betrayal of Bindi Mackenzie" By Jaclyn Moriarty
"Finding Cassie Crazy" By Jaclyn Moriarty
By dancerchick8 Comments: 92, member since Fri Nov 03, 2006
On Sat Dec 02, 2006 04:08 PM
IF you want a controversial, depressing, dark, life changing, creepy-but-you-can't-put-it-down-book then read Flowers In The Attic by V.C. Andrews. If you love that book then also read the others in the series: Petals On The Wind, If There Be Thorns, Seeds Of Yesterday, and Garden of Shadows (prequel).
By dancer2121 Comments: 349, member since Tue Feb 21, 2006
On Tue Dec 12, 2006 07:18 PM
I am not going to list any books.. but this is a good idea!! OOhh.. I have read The Diary of Anne Frank, and saw the movie.. it was really good.. I loved it!! :)
~k~
By SeniorLadyPremium member Comments: 8103, member since Sun Aug 24, 2003
On Fri Jan 05, 2007 07:18 PM
Just Listen is my favourite Sarah Dessen book. It's fantastic. You'll like it if you're read Laurie Halse Anderson's book Speak. Both are very similar, although I prefered Just Listen. Other authors I like are Garrett Freymann-Weyr and Deb Caletti.
By dancemegxo Comments: 72, member since Sun May 27, 2007
On Sun Jun 03, 2007 09:58 PM
Edited by dancemegxo (179926) on 2007-06-03 22:00:18
Edited by dancemegxo (179926) on 2007-06-03 22:00:49
wowowowow i definitely canNOT get enough of teen fic.
i absolutely love

*the georgia nicolson series by louise rennison
*the mates, dates series by cathy hopkins
*the alice series by phyllis reynolds naylor
*the clique series by lisi harrison
*the gossip girl series by cicily von zeigesar
*the private series by kate brian
*the princess diaries series by meg cabot
*the ttyl trilogy by lauren myracle
*the fashion disaster that changed my life by lauren myracle
*perfect by natasha friend
*rx by tracy lynn
*the earth, my butt, and other big, round things by carolyn mackler
*vegan virgin valentine by carolyn mackler
*the boyfriend list by e. lockhart
*the boy book by e. lockhart
*fly on the wall by e. lockhart
*bras and broomsticks by sarah mlynowski
*frogs and french kisses by sarah mlynowski
*what my mother doesn't know by sonya sones
*one of those hideous books where the mother dies by sonya sones
*crank by ellen hopkins (BIG eye-opener)
*burned by ellen hopkins
*impulse by ellen hopkins (another big eye-opener)
*fifteen by beverly cleary
*are you there god? it's me, margaret. by judy blume
*forever by judy blume
*then again, maybe i won't by judy blume (okay so it's about a guy but it makes you relieved about your girly problems...)
*cut by patricia mccormick
*flipped by wendelin van draanen

okay i need to stop here. really.
By GhillieGirl117 Comments: 661, member since Fri Jun 01, 2007
On Tue Jun 19, 2007 09:10 AM
There is a book series called "What if...".

1st book: What if ... Everyone knew your Name
2nd book: What if ... All the Boys wanted You
3rd book: What if ... You broke all the Rules

They are choose your own destiney novels, so at the end of each chapter you choose where the main character, Haley Miller goes or does. It is a really neat series because there are so many possible endings to each book. You pretty much have to read it about five times just to see where she could have gone and how the book would have ended. The books are pretty much about a teenage girl named Haley Miller who is just trying to get through the peer-pressure, akwardness, and most of all the many hard decisions of being a teenager. The authors are Liz Ruckdeschel and Sara James. I think they are all very well written and fun to read. The first night I got the first book, I could not put it down (I was reading it in the bookstore, the car home, out to dinner) and I ended up finishing the book last night, it was soooo good!
Check them out! They are WONDERFUL books!
By dancingincereal Comments: 767, member since Wed Feb 21, 2007
On Fri Jun 22, 2007 02:38 PM
-ok i wanted to just get this out now, and i'm sorry but i know a lot of you wont agree with me, but i truely do not like someone like you, by sarah dessen. it just seemed so unrealistic in some ways, and i just didn't enjoy it. that doesnt mean that im against her, because i actually do plan on reading another one of her books.

-on to bigger and better things now. i absolutely love the private series written by kate brian. they have just enough mystery, comedy, and suspense to keep you hooked. they are about a girl away at school and about her boyfriend, who weird things happen to. (i dont want to give that away) i also enjoyed kate brian's book called megan meade's guide to the mcgowan boys. it was about a girl who moved in with her dad's best friend because her parents moved to a different country, and well she ended up living with i believe it was 7 brothers.

-prep was another one of my favorite books written by curtis sittenfeld. it's about a girl trying to find her way in life, and some of it is kind of graphic, but i believe it is well worth reading. i would only advise the book for mature teenagers however.

-the sisterhood of the traveling pants series by ann brashares, are about a group of 4 girls who are being split up for the first time every. it tells about all of their stories and life goals/plans.

-i am currently reading if there be thorns, which is the third book in the flowers in the attic series. it can be quite odd at times, so i would suggest this for a more mature teenager. the main character cathy is a dancer if that help get any of you guys hooked! haha!

-and when you have no idea what to read, it all comes down to harry potter! read it if you never have, because they are amazing! if you are sitting there thinking, well i haven't read them, however i have seen the movies, you have no idea what you are missing! almost half of the books aren't written into the script, so i would for sure suggest these books.

-and last but not least, a new series i just started reading around january, the nannies, writeen by melody mayer. they are about a group of girl who are all nannies, and the tales of their jobs, significant others, and much more is included. i was a bit skeptical of these books at first, however i needed a book to read, so i decided to try the first one, and i really enjoyed it.

-if you want more information about any of these books, feel free to pm me anytime! if there's also a book that you would suggest, and seems like any of these would you mind pm'ing me the title along with the author? thanks!!!
By Silent_Dancer13 Comments: 340, member since Thu Jul 05, 2007
On Sat Sep 01, 2007 01:06 AM
Edited by Silent_Dancer13 (182134) on 2007-09-01 01:09:29 Oops quote didn't work!

I was waiting for someone to mention Philip Pullman! Although he isn't specifically for girls I think he is one of the best fantasy story tellers EVER (I don't know if his books were released further than the UK or not).
The Ruby in the Smoke/The Shadow in the North/The Tiger in the Well are possibly three of my favourite books ever and I also love His Dark Materials.
By surfergurl Comments: 507, member since Mon Jun 27, 2005
On Wed Sep 05, 2007 05:32 AM
The ttyl series is very good- although probably not appropriate for like, 10 year olds.
By bdancer3333 Comments: 215, member since Sun Apr 29, 2007
On Wed Sep 26, 2007 04:17 PM
Why am I on here? Oh yeah, homework...lol. I came to see if I had any PMs and it all went downhill from there...lol. Sorry.

I was forced to read one of the Alice books for a book report and I am very glad I was! I love them!

Now I will go to the library and get all these books...oh wait! Homework. You see what you've done to me DDN? lol

bdancer3333
By dancing_gert Comments: 87, member since Sun Aug 26, 2007
On Sat Nov 10, 2007 07:32 PM
I recomend the Twilight series by stephaniw meyer. theyre a great mix of romance and action. and they arent super hard to read.

and I agree with almost all the other books listed =) great thread!
Page:
Page 4 of 61 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch