Forum: Arts / Books

Page:
Page 6 of 61 2 3 4 5 6
re: The Ultimate Teen Girl Books
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4728, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Thu Jul 16, 2009 09:51 AM
I'm forty-something, but I couldn't resist listing some of the books I remember reading when I was in high school.

I remember reading:

1) "The Cat Ate My Gymsuit"-a light story that tells about a young girl's trials and tribulations in high school

2) the "Little House on the Prairie" series by Laura Ingalls Wilder-need I say more about these books?

3) "Listen-Please Listen"-a more mature novel for older high school girls that tells about some young girls being molested by a pedophile living in the neighborhood

4) "Francesca, Baby"-about a high-school girl dealing with her mother's alcoholism

5) "Under the Haystack"-another more mature novel for older high school girls that tells about three very young girls who are abandoned by their mother and must deal with living on their own

6) "Sybil"-a dark story about a teen-age girl who has multiple personality disorder

7) "Deenie"-about a teenage girl who must deal with having scoliosis and having to wear a back-brace

8) "Mary Jane Harper Cried Last Night"-another dark story about a little girl who is beaten and then smothered to death by her mother

9) "The Endless Steppe"-about a young Jewish girl who is transported out to Siberia with her family during the Holocaust

10) "Miriam"-another story about a young Jewish girl who is searching for her family during the Holocaust

11) "Golden Slippers"-a light story about a ballet student who is accepted to perform in a TV special

Some other lighter books I read in grade school and junior high:

1) "James and the Giant Peach"-by Roald Dahl

2) "Baby Island"-about two young girls who are shipwrecked and arrive on a desert island with four young babies

3) "Charlotte's Web"-by E.B. White

4) "The Trumpet of the Swan"-by E.B. White
By CDAdancerA Comments: 72, member since Thu Jul 15, 2010
On Thu Jul 15, 2010 08:53 PM
Thanks for the recommendations now I would like to give you one:
Wicked lovely-Melissa Marr
Ink Exchange-Melissa Marr
Fragile Eternity-Melissa Marr

These books are a series and I just loved them hope you will agree.
By iPurplemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 527, member since Sun Jun 20, 2010
On Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:32 AM
Edited by iPurple (223873) on 2010-07-19 00:33:19
I have a suggestion!

The "Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging" Series by Louise Rennison. They're perfect for teens and I read all ten books!
By Prima_ballerina5member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1078, member since Fri May 27, 2005
On Thu Feb 10, 2011 06:04 PM
Edited by Prima_ballerina5 (131898) on 2011-02-10 18:07:08
Most of the books that I would've recommended have already been mentioned but I'd like to add 'It's Not Always About You, Calma' by Barry Jonsberg. It's funny and sad and beautiful all in one. Very real.

And 'Before I Fall' by Lauren Oliver. OMG! This book blew my mind. It is hands down the most beautifully written book that I've ever read. Seriously, read it!
By pointeprincessSDmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 515, member since Wed Jun 23, 2010
On Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:18 PM
Sarah Dessen is FABULOUS! I like these:
Dramarama - E. Lockhart
13 Reasons Why - Jay Asher
My Most Excellent Year - J. Kruger
By happytappynat Comments: 22, member since Thu Oct 13, 2011
On Wed Nov 16, 2011 04:39 PM
Just Listen by Sarah Dessen is also amazing! :)
By caitydancerr Comments: 180, member since Thu Oct 27, 2011
On Sat Feb 01, 2014 04:27 PM
I'm still a teenager being I'm only 15, but these are some books I read when I was around 12/13.

- "Camp Confidential" series by Melissa J. Morgan. This series is about a bunch of girls at a summer camp who deal with various dilemmas.
- - The "Gilda Joyce" series by Jennifer Allison. I love, love, loved this series. It's about a teenage psychic investigator. The protagonist travels a lot and is so relateable and quirky, I adore her.
- "Speak" by Laurie Halse Anderson. I was required to read this book during my freshman year of high school. It's about a high school girl who is raped and then deals with depression. The book is her journey to getting the courage to speak up. Great book, and great author. I also recommend all of Laurie Halse Anderson's books; they are great and many of them are about teenagers.
- "Sixth-Grade Glommers, Norks, and Me" by Lisa Papademetriou and "Rissa Bartholomew's Declaration of Independence" by Lynda B. Comerford. These two books were my life during middle school, I reread both of them a ton of times.

And like the original poster, I really loved "The Cat Ate My Gymsuit" and "Deenie" as well. :)
Page:
Page 6 of 61 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch