Forum: New Zealand / New Zealand - General

Page:
Page 3 of 6: 1 2 3 4 5 6
re: WE ARE HIJACKING THIS FORUM!!!!
By Sparkz_NzPremium member
On Sat Dec 25, 2004 03:19 AM
pav is a lovely dessert, made with egg whites and sugar, and has a meringe like crusty layer on top, with light fluffy sugary layer in the main part of the dessert, and it melt in your mouth. Named after Anna Pavlova when she toured here in the early 1900's. Originated somewhere in NZ or Aus, this is always debated, but usually topped with an inch of cream and kiwifruit on top. Or strawberries as in my pic.

Today for christmas lunch I had the one with kiwifruit, but we also had a peach slice and chocolate topping one too.

Look here: pavlova.co.nz

and yes, it is NOW 11pm christmas day. I'm finally home alone, away from my crazy family, yay for boxing day, my favourite day of the year, cos I get to do NOTHING all day, hang out with my friends and celebrate surviving my crazy family yet again!

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!
By DejaDerangemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Dec 25, 2004 06:46 AM
YAY!! It's finally Christmas over here on the other side of the world. However, its only 8:30, and my parents and relatives won't be getting up until 9. This is going to be an eternity!!!!

Marian
By Clairemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Dec 25, 2004 06:52 AM
Christmas if the one good time of year to have divorced parents. TWO sets of presents, baby! I opened presents from my dads last night, oh I am so happpp y. I love Christmas, I love getting stuff, I love giving stuff. It works out perrrrfectly.

TAN

(The American Nerd)
On Sat Dec 25, 2004 01:07 PM
HAHAHAHA!! My friend says the same, except she can never figure out which set she wants to have what day with. :D

My mother is somewhat insane. She decided that this year, she would give people iPods. Now, I have a pink iPod mini (which works out well for her - I had one of the really old ones, y'know, the very first ones they made, so she gave me the mini (which will work with my computer) and got the old one for herself. She has an old laptop, so it works well) my dad has an iPod, my grandpa has an iPod photo... she got my brother things for his guitar, though, since he already has a non-obsolete iPod. I'm so excited though, because the one I had before kept dying when I tried to use it on my computer (which is newer than it by at least a year and a half). Mom will make it work, she's good with computers. And I'm excited because my mini one is PIIIINK!! :D Boy, do I sound greedy or what?? :] Just excited, is all. Although my grandmother has poor taste. She gave me "The Dancer's Diet Book". What's she hinting at? :]

Marian
On Sat Dec 25, 2004 03:14 PM
ha. Your grandma probably just gave you the first thing she could fins with the word dancer on it.

I got :
-lots of choccies
-3 books (yay!)
- a briefcase for my new job (stil deciding whether I like it, it seems huge to me!)
- money
- some soap stuff
- a calendar
- book vouchers
- some jewellery

hehe, I think as I get older, people give me vouchers and money and stuff, and I have to go buy it all myself. But thats cool, I need the money!
On Sat Dec 25, 2004 03:29 PM
Vouchers..? Ohhh, like, gift certificates?? :D Hehe. Have fun going to find stuff!! (or, in the case of the cash, y'know, paying off credit cards :]) Heheehe. Books=gooood.

Marian
On Sat Dec 25, 2004 04:12 PM
I guess like a gifl certificate, but I would call something that specified a gift, like a massage certificate that. A voucher only gives you a certain amount of money that you spend at a certain group of stores.

Hehe, we're slowly getting you fluent in Kiwi speak. Yay for you!
By Napolimember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Dec 25, 2004 05:32 PM
Hehehe Kiwi speak! I'm back from being at my aunt's house for Christmas! I got opera glasses, 3 dance books(Ballet Shoes for Anna, Dancer and Margot Fonteyn), batteries, jewlery and a DVD of Mathiew Bourne's Swan Lake. I got Christmas with my dad's side of the family tomorrow. Christmas is great each of my parents has 3 brothers or sisters so i get lotsa stuff! Wow that sounded greeeeedy. Whatever.

Throws pavlovas at everyone while still sitting in the tub of whipping cream! Ok going to eat cheese now.
On Sat Dec 25, 2004 06:34 PM
We Americans say that a voucher would be for like "1 massage" or "1 manicure" and a gift certificate would be for "$15 at Joe Shmoe's Shop".

I guess thats another thing that is the opposite south of the equator. Like how toilets flush the other way..

TAN
On Sat Dec 25, 2004 08:57 PM
*Snorts* I've always wondered if they really do or not. Hmm...

OHH!! I have the Margot Fonteyn book. Well, a Margot Fonteyn book. Is yours a bloody huge fat book?? With really nice pictures of her in it?? :D

Kiwi-speak. Hahahaha. Maybe we can teach you any new american?? Lesson one: Crude words. (aka the entire american dialect)

Marian
On Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:04 PM
I gotta teach you all Canadian too! A hat is a touque, soda is pop and say "EH" after every sentince.
On Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:52 PM
haha, I used to live in canada so I know those ones.

Here, a toque is a wolly hat, a soda or pop is a soft drink, we say eh too, but not as much.

Also things I found different in canada: a washroom is a loo or just toilet here, your sweater is our jersey or occassionally jumper. Your ketchup is sauce, or tomato sauce, your swimsuit/bathing suit is our togs, your flip flops are our jandals, your bangs are a fringe, cookies are biscuits, and fries are hot chips (unless they come from mcdonalds.)

I can't think of anymore.
Hope you all had a good christmas, we just kicked Sri Lanka's ass in the boxing day cricket.
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Dec 26, 2004 01:29 AM
I got a new cell phone!! It's got pxt, and so far I've taken a photo of:

- My feet
- My shoe
- The Christmas tree
- A Merry Christmas sign
- My eye
- Some flowers
- My mum
- Warren, my parent's friend
- Myself
- A closer one of my mum

I tried to take one of my scar aswell, but it's actually awfully hard to take a photo of behind your ear.
On Sun Dec 26, 2004 08:51 AM
The jumper thing has always confused me. When I was little, I wore jumpers, meaning youngish-looking, sleeveless dresses. Then I read some British books and, well, GUYS wear jumpers?!?! I did eventually figure it out but I always have to remind myself that they mean sweaters...
On Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:41 AM
Here, a jersey is something that atheletes wear, tomato sauce is something that goes on pasta, and a jumper is a dress.

However... I actually don't speak pure american. I speak briterican (as I call it) My grandparents used to live in the UK, and so I know a lot of Brit words and such. So I actually do say jumper for sweater, loo for bathroom, and crisps for potato chips. My friends have yet to get used to my weird britishisms.

Marian
On Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:22 PM
hahaha britishisms! Thats a good one. I have family coming in 2 hours so i should be cleaning the house like I was told but I can clean and type at the same time *sarcasm* I wish I had more whipped cream to throw at people but I ran out :( maybe i should have asked for that for christmas eh? Throws candy cane to the ground and it smashes. That was no fun :(
On Sun Dec 26, 2004 02:50 PM
hmmm you put pasta sauce on pasta.

a jumpers a dress? then whats a dress?

odd.

and only canadians would have a special word for winter hats. hahhaa

YAY for dipsy. Pxt phones are fun. I want one, but I'm kinda in love with my Nokia 3310 cos its so easy to txt from. I want it to just magically have pxt with nothing else changing. Except it maybe getting a bit thinner.
On Sun Dec 26, 2004 08:16 PM
YAY!! I'm getting a cellie!!! ... in 6 months when I move to a city. Y'know, so I can like, call my parents if someone breathes on me wrong or something. ;)

A dress is also a dress, gown, frock... lots of words for dresses. Jumper is a specific kind of dress that little girls wear. It's easy to move in, thus the name.

Marian
On Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:01 PM
Hehehe i used to wear jumpers (the dresses) and then i got too old and my Nana kept making them ofr me so I have like 3 that i could probably still fit in to but i don't wear anymore.
On Mon Dec 27, 2004 03:59 PM
It was sunny yesterday! And I drank too much, so didn't wake up till 11:30am.

Oooops

mmmm 42Below.

I have too much stuff to do today, and my head hurts. Boo to sore heads.
On Mon Dec 27, 2004 08:30 PM
Please. I didn't wake up till noon. And I'm sober and clean, as always. I stayed up till 4 reading "Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen". It was better than I'd expected.

Marian
On Mon Dec 27, 2004 08:38 PM
Booyeah! I stayed up till 7am reading a novel to my sister and didn't get up till 1 pm
On Wed Dec 29, 2004 08:24 PM
ugh. I am such an alcoholic. I don't drink all year, and then, look! Its two days later, and again my head hurts due to the 42Below fairy. Stupid hangovers.

Hehe, Actually, I'm blaming my boyfriend, who came home on the ferry, and so decided to play catch up with HIS bottle of xmas 42Below manuka honey (which is so yum by the way).

So anyways, hes gets totally wasted, I get mad that I am stuck in town with two very drunk men, manage to spill all our drinks over me in the process of hiding one while the boys are in the toilet, and storm off into the night as my pants are now SOAKING WET and smell like mojito (btw, mmm mojito)

So then I cart my bf home, and he is so wasted he comas on my bed, much shoving later I get enough of a space cleared so I can lie down too, only to hear him snort and puff and roll into me for 3 hours straight sounding like he was gonna puke. 5am I give up shoving him over and jump into my flatmates bed instead (shes not home)

SO THEN he wakes up 7am, after I've finally gone to sleep, finds me gone and proceeds to come look for me so he can get a morning cuddle! I yell at him, tell him to stop being so damn annoying and let me sleep (gosh I'm charming) and then get another hours rest before my flatmate txts me to say - you still picking me up at the airport at 10? So its 8:20, I sleep till 9, get up have a cuppa, and she CALLS me, and says oh, I meant 11am. Umm hello? I just got up early on 3 hours broken sleep?

And then her plane is an hour late anyways so I spend an hour hanging out at the airport. Thrilling morning.

So really, I'm sure the headache is a lack of sleep one, not a hangover one. And I'm tired. Boys are smelly things aren't they? You should try one with stale alcohol/ hangover breath trying to kiss you good morning. UGH!!

At least he's feeling worse than me today. He's currently curled up in a blanket on my couch. What a cutie. Smelly, but cute.

The rain song

It's raining, it's pouring,
the old man is snoring,
He bumped his head on the end of the bed
and couldn't get up in the morning!

Rain song #2

Rain rain go away
Come again another day!
On Wed Dec 29, 2004 09:33 PM
I'm PMS. No, I don't have it. I am the EMBODIEMENT of it. I ate 2 whole thingies of fudge. 2!!! And I'm supposed to be on a diet, too. (I am. The dentist said no more sweets. Oy.) And I've been bawling for like, 3 hours about NOTHING. I can't see, my eyes are so puffy. And I really would love nothing more than a botomless box of godiva, girly movies, a manicure and pedicure, and a massage. That would be perfect. I would also be in about $400 of debt, considering all I've got is a tenner.

Marian
On Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:27 PM
things I used to do when bawling about nothing due to PMS

1) turn the radio on and dance like a mad man to whatever cheesy music came on. Classic hits is great for this. "sweets for my sweet, sugar for my honey..."

2) call up the phone provider service line. They have a world clock, and when you enter the international dialling code for a place it tells you the time. Fun to enter random numbers into. Once I got " the time in - Timbuctoo - is ..." hahaha made me laugh

3) Read. its hard to cry and read at the same time.

4) Go for a walk somewhere you don't know so well, head off in one direction, walk randomly and see if you can find your way back without retracing your steps.

5) Just go with it. Sometimes its ok to be sad. You'll feel better tomorrow, promise. Oh also, do a natalie portman (i think) and watch yourself cry in the mirror. Its hilarious.

Go red puffy eyes. Me I get red puffy eyes and a cool splotchy face/ forehead as well. Charming.
Page:
Page 3 of 6: 1 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch