Forum: New Zealand / New Zealand - General

Hey, I'm new here =)
By JazzyJess
On Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:41 PM

Hi!
I'm Becky, I'm 14 and I live in Gulf Harbour in Auckland.
I currently do dance and drama at Wentworth with The Performance.Net but the dance isn't serious enough for me. I was just looking for fun when I started but now I'm hooked and want more serious lessons. We do Hip Hop, Jazz and Contemporary and I used to do Ballet when I was younger in England but stopped when we moved to NZ. My mum's supportive, but she doesn't want to drive me an hour into central Auckland for lessons. So does anyone know of any good dancing schools nearer me (Hibiscus Coast) that give Ballet and Jazz? And is anyone else here a beginner? I'll post on the beginner boards later, but I was hoping to find a beginner from NZ.
Anyway have a wonderful NZ Xmas, I can't be on the beach cos I'm freezing my socks off in England on hols =)
~Bex

3 Replies to Hey, I'm new here =)

re: Hey, I'm new here =)
By leezathebaleriza
On Fri Jan 14, 2005 05:09 AM
hi there, i see ur new and nobody has replied yet, so i shall. im new to this snazz site too! haha. im 16 and go to levings school of dance in chch. i do ballet, jazz, hip hop, and contemporary......srry, i cant help u find a school where u live, coz i hav no idea on schools up north aye!

well i better go... cya!
By mellierose
On Sat Jan 15, 2005 02:36 AM
Heya Bex!!!

OK, gulf harbour...um, have you tried the white pages? (on the internet... whitepages.co.nz or maybe the yellow pages (very similar web address, try and figure it out!!!!

Hmm, I don't know if you could get into Torbay? thats on the north of the north shore. I really dont know sorry. I know that there IS at least one dancing school that teaches ballet on the hibiscus coast but I dont know what its called...hang on i'll just look it up.

If you're interested in RAD...call Angela Little the regional organiser (529 2343) She'll be able to tell you if there are any RAD schools up there. theres schools in browns bay and albany but thats probably too far.

Sorry about that, i know more about central auckland!!!

hope this helps though.
Mel

oops! to the rest of your post...I'm 17 and i started ballet at 13...and I'm on pointe...you have a chance even down here in nz!
are you looking at a professional dancing career? then you'd have to start pretty quick with top quality training (which is actually offered in nz!!!) hmmm... you could contact me if you like...i dont know if we can put emails up, but i could do that if you like. my email is... miluielmel@hotmail.com
a good board is ballettalk.com its strictly classical though...but theres loads of helpful info (and its american so its odd at first because of the differences in trainig.

so yeah!! good luck
By JazzyJess
On Sat Jan 15, 2005 08:09 AM
Thanks for replying, I knew someone would do eventually lol...

I have tried the yellow pages but was wondering if anyone knew of any closer since they are all at least half an hour away. I've got a younger brother and sister and my mum said it isn't practical to go somewhere so far away, I'll have to try and persuade her :P

No, I'm not planning on going pro, but I love dancing so much and just wanna start!! I want to be an actress and my biggest dream is to be on Broadway, and that involves being a dancer as well as your acting and singing. I hope to get my dancing up to par with the other two =)
~Bex

ReplySendWatch