Forum: Arts / Books

Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3
re: The Ultimate Guide to Dance Related Books #2!!
By balletjazzhiphop Comments: 25, member since Sun Jul 24, 2005
On Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:35 AM
The book On Pointe is by Lori Ann Grover. This post was a great idea. I wrote down all the books.
By broadway4life Comments: 589, member since Thu Dec 02, 2004
On Wed Aug 03, 2005 08:29 PM
ok dancer is probably the best dance book that i have read. It is a good combination between the social aspects and real life to the actual dancing of the life that a dancer faces. I loved it. Dancing by the edge is the worst book. It is so wierd. I hated it.
By Remeber_my_namemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1238, member since Thu Jul 15, 2004
On Wed Aug 10, 2005 06:49 AM
Which fiction ones are aimed at adults or teenagers? I really love reading books about dance, but at my library all the dance book are aimed for like 7 year olds! (not that there's anything wrong with dance book for 7 year olds, its just older people like dance too.)

Naomi x
By KeepOnSinginPremium member Comments: 12372, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Thu Sep 01, 2005 06:55 AM
I have read The Best Little Girl In The World.It is a really good book.I would suggest that to older readers (I am 14,but read mature books).It is also found in the adult section of the library.There is also a sequel called Kessa.
By fairy_dustmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6584, member since Sun Jan 20, 2002
On Mon Sep 05, 2005 07:00 PM
Here's another one:

Winter Season - A Dancer's Journal (Toni Bentley)

Fabulous book. Toni Bentley was a corp dancer with the NYCB and she describes life at the bottom of the ballet company food chain. Instead of the usual prima ballerinas who become the star of the company, this book is about the less glamorous side of ballet companies (Toni Bentley never got past the corp and retired at 28 because of injury).
By dance_obsesser Comments: 93, member since Fri Jul 22, 2005
On Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:34 AM
There are quite a few books about dance by Noel Stretfield (i think thats how you speel her name)
By acroqueen Comments: 300, member since Fri Sep 10, 2004
On Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:25 PM
Confessions Of a back up dancer.

I loved it!
By puppies_flyPremium member Comments: 2818, member since Sun Jan 16, 2005
On Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:01 AM
Dancing on My Grave by Gelsey Kirkland has already been mentioned, but she later wrote another book 'The Shape of Love" which is also a great dance book.
Thanks
By hotfrenchfry Comments: 60, member since Thu Oct 13, 2005
On Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:47 AM
I'll give them a look see.
books
By keshetdancer Comments: 27, member since Fri Nov 11, 2005
On Tue Nov 29, 2005 07:04 PM
thanks I needed some new books. Has anyone ever read confessions of a backup dancer?? if so is it good?
By greenbun Comments: 55, member since Mon Dec 05, 2005
On Mon Dec 05, 2005 09:06 PM
Books! This is a great post!

I like a lot of dance books, but I rarely remember any of their titles...

The ones I do remember are:
Nonfiction:
A Private View (I forgot the author) - It's about ABT and Baryshnikov....
Ballet 101 (um. I forgot the author again) - I read this book while watching several ballets. It's really helpful.
Classical Ballet (Lincoln Kirstein) - It's a technique book. Um. I think it's Russian but I'm not sure. It's based on Balanchine's stuff....

Manga:
Swan (a lady named Ariyoshi something) - I love this manga! It's really nice and I guess I like the plot? Anyway... we had to do an english abstract and mine ended up having a ballet dancer on it because I just read it...
By Bellarina126member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1803, member since Tue Jun 01, 2004
On Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:38 PM
Non-Fiction -- Advice for Dancers by Linda Hamilton is a great read for younger and older dancers alike. It talks about finding the place that is right for you and taking care of yourself. Definately recomend it.
By Malaikamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1923, member since Thu Jul 11, 2002
On Mon Jan 02, 2006 09:20 AM
Kid's book ... yes ... but my absolute favorite dance book EVER.

A Very Young Dancer by Jill Krementz.

Stephanie dances at SAB sometime during the seventies or so, and is chosen to play Mary in the Nutcracker. It's illustrated with photographs of the actual girl, and she takes class from some dance luminaries - David Howard, for one. Rehearsals with "Mr. B," all sorts of things.

I read it whenever I feel down about dance. Good stuff.
By the_next_prima1member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 320, member since Tue Jan 04, 2005
On Sat Feb 18, 2006 08:21 AM
great post! im going to have to print it and pick out some of these books!!!

klp
By the_smo Comments: 112, member since Sat Jan 21, 2006
On Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:22 AM
I absolutely loved the book Snake Hips by Anne Soffee. She is a belly dancer, But the book doesn't just focus on that. It's just a great book. I love the way she writes.
By Rincemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1462, member since Sat Oct 01, 2005
On Wed Mar 01, 2006 04:45 PM
royal ballet school diares- these are a seris about 11 year old girls who go to school at the royal ballet school.
By delnz99 Comments: 23, member since Mon Nov 01, 2004
On Sat Mar 11, 2006 09:30 PM
I read a book called Butterfly by VC Andrews & quite enjoyed that. I would recommend it to people from the age of 14+.
By RulerOfTheArts Comments: 1186, member since Sun Mar 05, 2006
On Fri Mar 24, 2006 07:45 AM
Hi there. Responding to the above two posters, I have a good recommendation for the more adult crowd. It's called "First Love" written by Adrienne Sharp. This book is lovely, but is definitely for adults because it is explicit at times, and deals with many mature issues in the ballet world, as well as mature topics. Hope that helps!! :)
By dancemegxo Comments: 72, member since Sun May 27, 2007
On Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:00 PM
I really loved On Pointe by Lori Ann Grover (sorry if someone already said this, i didn't read all posts) and some good non fiction ones are Conditioning For Dance and Inside Tap, which are great for reading before ever starting classes (for beginners) or just for extra reference.
By dancerpointe Comments: 103, member since Fri Nov 04, 2005
On Sat Jul 28, 2007 05:19 PM
Thank you so much all of your for posting this I love to read almost as much and I love ballet and I have looked everywhere for ballet books I have started a Collection that has like 5 books. lol now I can start to expand it YAY im excited! thank you once again
By oriflamenca Comments: 176, member since Fri Oct 05, 2007
On Sun Oct 21, 2007 02:15 PM
If anyone is interested in Flamenco "The Flamenco academy" is a good novel, and one of the only ones I have found. I also heard about a good book based on The life of Carmen Amaya, but I have yet to read it (or remember the name) great thread by the way.
By MaxwellPremium member Comments: 1476, member since Sat Oct 27, 2007
On Sat Oct 27, 2007 09:02 PM
BattementErin wrote:

Kid's book ... yes ... but my absolute favorite dance book EVER.

A Very Young Dancer by Jill Krementz.

Stephanie dances at SAB sometime during the seventies or so, and is chosen to play Mary in the Nutcracker. It's illustrated with photographs of the actual girl, and she takes class from some dance luminaries - David Howard, for one. Rehearsals with "Mr. B," all sorts of things.

I read it whenever I feel down about dance. Good stuff.

I love that book. I must have been four years old or so when I first read it and I still reread it some times.

Dancing in Red Shoes is hilarious, and about something many dancers can relate to. And the Royal Ballet School Diaries are pretty good, but I think the author is running out of ideas. Books 2, 3, and 7 were all about trying to get along with the new girl. I like book 6 best.
By ballerinalilred Comments: 55, member since Sat Nov 17, 2007
On Tue Nov 27, 2007 02:08 PM
I also really loved Adrienne Sharp's books, Black Swan, White Swan and First Love.
I am 19 and I find it incredibly hard to find ballet novels! I am constantly looking them up on my library's search, but I mostly get little girl books.
By Dancer517member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 319, member since Sun Jul 29, 2007
On Tue Dec 04, 2007 02:20 PM
ellie and the bunheads by sally warner.

Amazon Summary wrote:

As if peer pressure isn't enough, Ellie gets it from her mother and ballet teacher, too. "Suck in some of that hamburger, Ellie." "Don't eat any junk ... you know you don't want any pimples during your audition." If Ellie has to eat her mother's fat-free lasagna again, she thinks she'll puke! Truth is, Ellie is tired of sacrificing after-school fun, friends, and pizza for a chance in the prestigious Philadelphia Dance Theater. She may be one of the best bunheads (ballet dancers) in Mrs. Hawkins's class, but she's not sure if she wants to give up a normal teenage life in order to be a professional dancer. If everyone else would stop offering advice and yelling expectations at her, maybe--just maybe--Ellie could decide what to do for herself! Charming, delightful, and filled with great dialogue, this novel is sure to resonate with girls twirling into their early teenage years.

i read it in 5th or 6th grade it was pretty good. i also read a time for dancing. that was good too. im always looking for dance books, great post!
By Hasana Comments: 245, member since Tue Jul 25, 2006
On Sun Dec 16, 2007 08:10 PM
I'm reading the book "A Company of Swans" by Eva Ibbotson right now and I love it so far. It's young adult, but it's so well written that I think it would appeal to older readers as well.
Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch