Popular Teachers

Song for This Costume? by live_love_dance4
I have a very talented 8 year old tapper doing a solo next year and I can't find a song I like for...

Forum: Hip Hop / Hip Hop

Page:
Page 1 of 41 2 3 4
Hip Hop
BASIC HISTORY OF HIP-HOP DANCING!! (karma: 21)  en>fr fr>en
By Invent Comments: 1693, member since Wed Jan 14, 2004
On Tue Jan 04, 2005 03:48 PM
Made sticky by MIClogger (28613) on 2005-01-04 20:20:31

Histories of the different hip-hop dances:

The three dances of hip-hop all have their own distinct histories and stories. A common misconception is that hip-hop dancing is deeply rooted in African rituals/ceremonies and culture. Hip-hop is more of a product of America than most people believe. I hope this post helps provide some sort of background that people can use as a guide to the history of hip-hop dancing.

Locking: Locking has one of the most distinct histories of the three dances. Locking is only one style of dance, which makes the history easier to keep track of.

Back in 1970, Don Campbellock (dance alias), was a high schooler in the Los Angeles area. Don Campbellock was not known as a great dancer. As a matter of fact, he usually unsuccesfully attempted to learn th epopular party dances of the day. In the case of locking (Campbellocking), he was attempting to do a party dance known as the "funky chicken" (not the one we learn as children).

When Don Campbellock attempted to do the funky chicken, he would "freeze up" in a certain pose all the time. People who watched him dance would say that he "locked up." Hence the dance came to be known as "Locking" or "Campbellocking." After several years of doing this dance, Don Campbellock and several others began a crew that was known as "The Lockers" (now known as "The Original Lockers"). Each person in the crew had thier own style of locking.

Locking is a very dynamic dance. Consisting of lots of poses and "freezes" (not to be confused with bboying freezes) that were thrown into the middle of a set of fluid moves like wrist rolls, uncle sam points, apple jacks, back slaps, leo walks, which-a-ways, scooby-doos and other moves, everything was done to emphasize the music that was being danced to (Funk). For instance, holding a throwback on a long horn note, then picking back up with wrist rolls and points when the drums kicked back in.

BBoying: The roots of bboying as it is known today are far and spread. The earliest forms of bboying sprouted back in 1972 at Kool DJ Hercs house and block parties. The stlye of uprocking (basic footwork while standing) comes from New York City gang dances of the 1960's (much like people today doing the Crip Walk). Since uprocking really expanded from copying gang dances into its own form of dancing in Brooklyn, it has come to be called "Brooklyn Uprock" or "Brooklyn Rocking." In UpRock, it is almost a mock fight form, in which the person doing it must drop down to a crouching position on the 4th beat of every measure.

From UpRocking, sprouted another form of standing footwork is called top rocking. Top rocking is its own form of footwork in which the person doing it does not need to drop down, and it can be done solo (whereas Brooklyn should only be done when someone else is doing Brooklyn). Most of th erocking you will see from bboys and bgirls is toprocking.

When people started to hit the floor (ground work) it became known as "Ground Rocking". Ground Rocking consists of a series of step techniques known as 2-step, 4-step and 6-step. (I am not sure of there being other steps, like a 9-step.) There are also CCs, swipes, and switchbacks.

Another element developed around the same time was freezes. The most basic freeze is the baby freeze. Over time freezes have developed to be more physically demanding and difficult (one such example is the "Hollowback").

The elements of power moves (continuous headspin [pencil spin developed in mid-late 70's]) where not added until around 1982. A popper and member of the Electric Boogaloos, Suga Pop, visited New York City around that time (visiting Mr. Wiggles, Frosty Freeze, and other members of the RockSteady Crew) and the dances of popping and bboying were traded between coasts. (NYC already had a popping form known as Electric Boogie, but Suga Pop brought technique and terminology to the east coast.

When Suga Pop returned to the Los Angeles Area from New York, bboying became huge on the west coast, with people taking it to the next level by adding flares, windmills, elements from capoeira (Brazilian Martial Arts/Dance), and other highly risky gymnastics based moves.

Popping: The history of popping is without a doubt THE most complex of all the hip-hop dance styles. I am currently doing research to compile all of the facts on its history. Popping is used as an umbrella term for all the 26 plus different styles of popping (see popping tutorial). There were many styles that were created (for instance G-Style, a waving style) that are known only to one crew or one specific area of a town (I believe G-Style is only known to North-Pamona, and the Pamona City OGs).

Most believe that popping was begun around 1976 or 1977 by a dancer named Boogaloo Sam, from Fresno, California. This would make popping the youngest of all the dances. However, there are accounts of the earliest forms of hitting, popping and boogaloo starting between 1965 and 1967 around Oakland, San Jose and San Francisco.

The reason most accredit Boogaloo Sam with "inventing" the dance form of popping, is because he was really the first to define it as "the constant tensing and relaxing of muscles while dancing to create a sharp, surging stop/jolt effect." On the east coast, a stlye of popping called Electric Boogie (mainly hitting, waving, tutting, and gliding) developed and was really corrected in the meeting between Suga Pop and members of Rock Steady.

It is very difficult to track the EXACT history of popping, because one must try to account for th eexact histories of over 26 different STYLES of dancing. (The task would be the same as trying to compile the history of ballet, jazz, tap, salsa, swing, ballroom, etc. all at one time). We are lucky in our generation in that we can still find some of the originators of these dances, or at least find someone that knew them.

There are many misconceptions about popping, like the "Moonwalk" (as it was termed by Michael Jackson) is actually known as the backslide (first done on Television by a dancer named Bill Baily, tap dancer. Next was done by Creepin' Cid of the Electric Boogaloos on Soul Train in 1977 or '78). The moonwalk is a certain type of walk (not slide or glide) that makes it appear as if the person doing it is walking on the moon (not sliding on ice).

What I have written here is really some of the MOST basic information on the dances. There are many names involved in the Bboying aspect I did not include becuase I do not know them off the top of my head, because the history of bboying is not my strongest point. You can find more on the history of not only hip-hop, but the history of bboying on mrwiggles.biz His accounts include all of the names of who developed what move and what style, in the history section. To find more on locking and a bit more on popping, visit fantasticpoppers.com
For more terminology, check out the tutorials in the popping, locking, and bboying sections. (If there is not one, there is one to come shortly).

Invent
Funkacidal Maniacs Crew
(Invent, Prodigy, iH0p, Dancin' Dave)

92 Replies to BASIC HISTORY OF HIP-HOP DANCING!!

re: BASIC HISTORY OF HIP-HOP DANCING!! en>fr fr>en
By TrippyJing Comments: 395, member since Tue Nov 09, 2004
On Tue Jan 04, 2005 07:44 PM
I shall bump thee to the top of the forum.

BUMP
BASIC HISTORY OF HIP-HOP DANCING!! en>fr fr>en
By TEAM_MOMmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2268, member since Tue Sep 21, 2004
On Tue Jan 04, 2005 09:55 PM
right on!

Karma Dude. Not just for the posting but for taking the heat in the other forum.

awesome.
RAW
By calypsomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3453, member since Fri Aug 10, 2001
On Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:00 PM
Thanks, Invent!

You rock. Thanks for taking the time to educate us "ballet weenies".

bg
By Jahz Comments: 221, member since Wed Dec 15, 2004
On Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:37 PM
Bump, bump, bump!
On Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:34 AM
Jahz... stop trying to bump it up.. its a sticky... if u actually look in th ehip-hop part (like u do in popping and locking...) then ull see...its always at the top...
Invent
By iH0p Comments: 562, member since Wed Aug 04, 2004
On Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:43 AM
LOL... oy jahz... you're something else...
By flower_facePremium member Comments: 1587, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Wed Jan 05, 2005 06:52 AM
Invent , Thank you for the sticky and for coming over to the ballet forum. Many of us very much value and enjoy your wisdom
and insights, it's incredibly appreciated.
By kabdancer Comments: 420, member since Sat Aug 21, 2004
On Wed Jan 05, 2005 09:15 AM
whoooaaaa....Invent. Thanks for sticking up for me in the 'root' conversation. You know what I mean. I appreciate it. cheers!!

Great Job here. Also thanks for teaching me to stick to my guns. I've always been passionate about what I do, but was a little quiet on this site at first, til I realized that alot needs to be told and learned. Now, I'm sure some must be sick and tired of seeing my name but, I gotta do what I gotta do.

Balletgurl, Flowerface, TeamMom you guys are great, some of the 'younger' ones should look to you as an example of how to have a conversation on this site.

Great post Invent!
Great day all!!
By flower_facePremium member Comments: 1587, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:30 AM
kabdancer heh I often get carried away and don't realize I didn't explain how my thought trains link, and manage a wreck instead, but thank you. haha I've long had incredible mistrust for the media and the way it assimilates and commercializes so many art forms , not just dance , but if dancers from all across the spectrum come together we can help find ways to turn disadvantages around and make some strides ahead. Pooling ideas and resources, sharing information on what helped one form of dance get better footholds, better funding ect we can help each other build a better dance world for everyone. Dance needs to be celebrated and seen in all it's richness and diversity, and hopefully by working together we can make that a reality. I'm in my 20's , and I'd like to see that happen in my lifetime.
By barefootgracemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2827, member since Fri Oct 22, 2004
On Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:37 PM
Thank you for the information, and the new (to me) websites to explore. Maybe someday i'll find someone patient enough to teach an old ballerina some new tricks without laughing too hard. i had good friends that tried to teach me hip hop once, but then we all moved in different directions and i never really got the hang of it. Too many years of fifth position and pirouettes have taken away alot of the mental flexibility it takes to learn new forms. But when we get out of Alaska i think i might try again. Especially since i can come here and get background information, now. i really think that the best thing about dance is that there is always something new to learn, no matter how long you have been learning.
By pneuma180 Comments: 29, member since Wed Jan 05, 2005
On Wed Jan 05, 2005 03:17 PM
Removed by glitterfairy (42646) on 2005-03-09 19:23:03 pointless post
GOOD 2 KNOW...
On Wed Jan 05, 2005 04:35 PM
Oi. I'm stupid. And slightly confused.

I have a few questions (or thought): for bboying was there a difference between the east and west coasts back in the 70s? Did the ground rocking and freezes also develop in the NYC/Brooklyn area?

Just something that's been nagging me. Apologies for bothering.
re: BASIC HISTORY OF HIP-HOP DANCING!! (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
On Wed Jan 05, 2005 06:36 PM
Hey Jahz... if you had read carefully ;) You would have noticed that BBOYING DID NOT EXIST ON THE WESTCOAST UNTIL AROUND 1982!!!
But ground rocking and freezes developed in the bronx.
Invent
On Wed Jan 05, 2005 09:30 PM
lol, that clears things up A LOT! hahaha, I'm a slow learner, and I think... differently. Out of the box, you could say. Still, awesome, I appreciate the info even more now that I understand it! lol
By Emjay9 Comments: 126, member since Fri Dec 10, 2004
On Thu Jan 06, 2005 01:50 AM
Invent, you are one smart mofo. It's obvious that you have a huge passion for dancing and particularly hip hop cos no-one would go that in depth with their research even if they were just bored. Kudos to you.

Peace
On Thu Jan 06, 2005 01:55 AM
Oh... and to Jahz...
The main difference between East Coast and West Coast styles (after bboying hit west... and as it is today)
Is a matter of STYLE (east) VS. POWER (West).
Its is/was bboys with 1000s of moves and flavor VS dudes who could make a crowd go "wow!!"

And to everyone else... thank you for your kind words and comments.
Invent- The Four Star General of the hip-hop section
FMC
isn't it ture that..... en>fr fr>en
By jyoungin1 Comments: 24, member since Sat Jan 08, 2005
On Sun Jan 09, 2005 07:23 AM
isn't it true that capoeira was one of the first forms of dancing but it started as a martial art correct?because all the years i have been dancing and all the history that i have read and herd the roots are african and the dance was a martial art.invent your opion please u seem very well educated with hip hop and most of the forms.
On Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:33 AM
Yes, capoeira was one of the very first forms of martial arts and dances, in history. It might even be the oldest, before the age of Greece and Rome and all... which I should look into, because it doesn't sound right. And capoeira's origin IS from Africa, making its roots very African.

But, what Invent was and is saying is that capoeira didn't have any connection, relation, or influence at all with bboying until much later of 10 or more years after it first began to grow.
thanks en>fr fr>en
By jyoungin1 Comments: 24, member since Sat Jan 08, 2005
On Mon Jan 10, 2005 04:55 AM
thanks for clearing that up it had me confuesd alittle
By BBoy_Skribble Comments: 261, member since Wed Sep 24, 2003
On Tue Jan 11, 2005 06:40 PM
IVENT! YOU DA MAN, MAN!!!! You know I'm always trying get some new knowledge! Some of what you said was fresh to the ears (or eyes in this case)! THANKS THANKS THANKS! I'm glad this was made a sticky because our history is important to me. We can't forget where our culture began and we can't forget where we came from
By damon_k Comments: 228, member since Tue Nov 19, 2002
On Thu Jan 13, 2005 08:34 PM
nice post Invent... thanks for the education...Its nice to know there is someone who takes the time to sum things up for us and lay it out so simply so we can understand things.

damon.
By Ajaye Comments: 299, member since Thu Dec 23, 2004
On Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:33 PM
Class, todays lesson is hiphop turn to page 211 in your books....
na Im jokin, nice post Invent. You just keep hittin us wit the info like its nothin. its really inspiring really. well to me anyway. Im gonna do some serious research myself, proly use it for a college essay. maybe qoute you, Id need where you got your info from but still you give some good factual discriptions.

Ajaye AKA
ThE rOoKiE oF tHe YeAr
By chriso12 Comments: 32, member since Tue Oct 12, 2004
On Sun Jan 16, 2005 09:22 AM
Thanks alot this i will think about daily.
By chriso12 Comments: 32, member since Tue Oct 12, 2004
On Sun Jan 16, 2005 09:24 AM
I though about it and it is cool. Now i can put that in our hip hop today. Tell other people in my studio about it. Thanks Alot.
Page:
Page 1 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch