re: BASIC HISTORY OF HIP-HOP DANCING!!
By Invent Comments: 1693, member since Wed Jan 14, 2004
On Mon Jun 27, 2005 05:37 PM
Brikini, feel free.
Invent
By xtreme11 Comments: 5, member since Wed Jun 29, 2005
On Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:27 AM
bump bump bump? thats the history of hip-hop? ok if u say so i guess.
By yuuyaa Comments: 50, member since Wed Jul 27, 2005
On Fri Jul 29, 2005 02:10 AM
this was a separate post but i guess i should put it in here. I read the first post of "History of Hip Hop Dancing", but it was more about the Old School dances, ie 1970s to early 80s. But what about New School Hip Hop dance? ie. the dances that developed in the late 1980s and 1990s. Those dances that you can see in old videos of MC Hammer, Bel Biv Devoe, Janet Jackson etc. up to now. These dances seem different in character from Old School west coast funk of locking and popping, east coast breaking. Can anyone give suggestions on where to found out more about the history of New School Hip Hop dance?? i know there is a difference but so far no one has explained how the difference came about. after the media destroyed so-called "breakdance", the true b-boying went back undergound. then in the late 80s this "new school" hip hop thing showed up all over popular music. i guess in competition with house music. that was all the rage in new york. any comments about that??
INTERESTING!
By footwork Comments: 463, member since Wed Mar 06, 2002
On Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:35 AM
Edited by footwork (23139) on 2005-08-27 11:39:49
The statement to start this forum was the BASIC HISTORY OF HIP-HOP DANCING!! Though I used to post on sites, and I don't anymore, because, I see alot of info that I have posted, is used now. But, NOT in the right way (and definitely not credited!! This is a big issue in life! Respect is needed!!). Even heard a terminology I use that supposedly didn't even exist in a certain era (LOL! MOst don't know what I am talking about. But for those that do. Now, I understand a lot more about things!!). I am not going to drop knowledge on sites anymore, but later, in a big way.
But, to throw something at people; names that were dropped and styles, Bill Bailey (tapper). Also, was not the first to do that backslide on or even a glide on film. But, there a special dance that did moves like that in that era in before. WHICH comes an African influence without a doubt. Study to found out what that is.
Also, are we talking about the basic history of bboying or hip-hop dance? Which one, or are they one in the same? Think about this. Because if stated, that there is no African influence in either, that would be crazy, even the OGs would admit to that. Though I am considered one myself. Trust me, in Hip-hop culture and dance, the African influence is mainly what makes the dance what it is. That is the base of what we did to bring style to the steps we were doing back then.
Like I said, I am not throwing heavy specifics anymore. I want kids to go and find info themselves. There is so much more out there than meets the eye. Don't be afraid to find things out yourself. " America's " history is elusive and built upon foundations that are from other places. Remember that. You can't strip those foundations away, because many people still live the way their forefathers have raised them. Even today. There is alot more. And, in those lands, even those dances are evolving.

GOD BLESS ALL and KEEP DANCING,

Brian Footwork Green
By fanballet Comments: 3, member since Wed Aug 24, 2005
On Mon Aug 29, 2005 06:54 AM
Thank you for this information.
I'm 23 years old,and I'm not sure whether it is too old to learn this dance.
By MsMuzic Comments: 6, member since Fri Sep 16, 2005
On Fri Sep 16, 2005 06:53 PM
Thanks for dropping the knowledge of Hip Hop history. The fact that you break it down and let people know of the originators is good. Those styles will live on forever.
By sugababi Comments: 4, member since Tue Oct 11, 2005
On Tue Oct 11, 2005 05:00 PM
Nice job! This kinda helped for my dance report. Don't worri, I ain't copyin nothin. It jsut gave me a good idea of how it came about and stuff. Thanks so much!
Thanks
By aQua_ Comments: 22, member since Fri Oct 14, 2005
On Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:03 AM
I should learn more about the history and style of dancing. Thanks for post this history.
???
On Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:15 AM
Don't different between bboy and hip hop dance ??
i thought bboy for boys :/
and hip hop dance it is general ...for both
By Jahz Comments: 221, member since Wed Dec 15, 2004
On Fri Oct 14, 2005 01:42 PM
Not really Aqua. Bboying IS hip hop dancing. To be more politically correct, Bboying and Bgirling.
:)
On Mon Oct 17, 2005 08:07 AM
thanks Jahz I really dont know about hip hop but i just like to listen but somethimes i lose with r n b hip hop and rap...
On Tue Oct 18, 2005 07:56 AM
thanks Invent....
you make me know more about hip hop :)
ru_
By soul_ice Comments: 18, member since Sat Oct 15, 2005
On Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:59 AM
nice invent ur a real expert on hip hop theres one thing id like to know tho what is fresno, is it some kind of popping style, i have heard of it . im a very enthusiastic popper and id like to know more about the history of hip hop and more on the other poppingg styles i know a few but i know that there are heaps if you could make a post on that( just a bsic post on the style and what it involvs) would be much appriciated.

thanx invent
By Jahz Comments: 221, member since Wed Dec 15, 2004
On Mon Oct 24, 2005 03:59 PM
Fresno is basically switching from side to side. You're continuously popping your arms and legs to the beat, but you switch/lean your weight from one foot to another every other beat, so it's basically two beats a side. It's sort of hard to explain in words... so just look at Invent's tutorial! :P

www.dance.net . . .
www.dance.net . . .

as for another post on styles and all, there is one. Also by Invent:

www.dance.net . . .

basic question are already all answered, I believe..??
On Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:07 AM
hmmmm why do you know about hip hop and think that all infomation are true ???
where did u get them?
:) i am a new one for hip hop but i just like to see and try to dance hip hop
take care have a nice day
By Invent Comments: 1693, member since Wed Jan 14, 2004
On Tue Oct 25, 2005 01:04 PM
Well... I dont think i know everything about hip-hop...
Popping is my strongest area of hip-hop knowledge... and this sort of post was SORELY needed in this section.

There are things that you learn, and then relearn...
THere are different histories for different parts of the united states you go to.

Someone once said "There are histories for every hood... so the whole history of this dance will always be different no matter who you talk to..."

Fact of the fact is... Boogaloo Sam DIDNT create popping and boogaloo... in reality he added onto and gave foundations to some already existing dances from Oakland (hitting, the robot and boogaloo...)...
We are all constantly learning.

At least this post gives people something closer to reality to bas their knowledge off of.

Also, I dont say take my word and my word only as fact...
Do some research based on what I have said... find your own history.
Peaz
Invent
On Thu Oct 27, 2005 07:24 AM
yeah I agree !!! so are there no changing of hip hop dance ???
when u dance do u create your own style or adapt ??? :)
how can you dance and there is no the same style in one song ?
Thanx
By lamix4 Comments: 9, member since Sat Jan 01, 2005
On Wed Nov 09, 2005 05:00 PM
Me and my frinds have been arguin about the history of hip hop and because i just moved to the US they think i dont know wat am talkin about. there were may things i didnt know so thanx alot
By KatieJayne826 Comments: 24, member since Tue Jun 21, 2005
On Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:53 AM
Props to you! THanks alot it was interesting and informative.
Katie
By x2dl Comments: 32, member since Thu Nov 24, 2005
On Thu Nov 24, 2005 04:57 AM
This is positive critism, as you are correct in all styles you described. but what about new.School?
Footwork
On Thu Nov 24, 2005 07:43 AM
Oh, and about footwork..there's 3-step, 7-step and 1-step(which is also known as swipe). and there's all steps in reverse!
Creation Dates
On Thu Nov 24, 2005 07:50 AM
Something else I've spoted:
Locking was created one year before the one you stated it, making it 1969!
this was told to my by Don Campbell himself when he came to Portugal last year.
By Mickii Comments: 27, member since Sun Nov 06, 2005
On Sat Dec 10, 2005 07:16 AM
Edited by Mickii (144858) on 2005-12-10 08:36:13
blah blah blah how often are u gonna try to teach tha history??? all hip hop dancers should know their history, yes! but if they were true they would go learn it for themselves!...okay ill stop being mean and be like everyone else...sooo....thanx invent for like the history i mean like omg your so great!!! i didnt like know this! *smilez*
By flame157 Comments: 3, member since Thu Dec 08, 2005
On Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:58 PM
your post really helped me to write an assigment about hiphop dance in Estonia:D Thank you!!!:D
By nix_xo Comments: 22, member since Mon Dec 19, 2005
On Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:40 AM
oh groovy i never even knew about half of that stuff, its helped me with my dance exams a little bit
Page:
Page 3 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch