Forum: General / Homework Help

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Homework Help
The Ultimate Guide to Better Grades!!! (karma: 26)
By dancelvr1127member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 186, member since Sun Oct 24, 2004
On Wed Jan 05, 2005 08:49 AM
Made sticky by MIClogger (28613) on 2005-01-06 09:14:19

( Few Ideas from "101 ways to get straight A's")lol, don't worry, i won't put all one hundred!

If you follow a few of these tips, i guarentee to help you fufill your resolution!

You and your mind:

1. Pay attention! It may sound easier than it is but studies show that almost all straight A students say the quickest way to better grades is taking good notes and paying attention.

2. Figure out your learning style and go with it. DO you:

Like to make pictures
Use diagrams, charts, illustration
Use different pens and highlighters
make flashcard

Then you're visual, and you think best when you SEE information.

Do you:

Take notes as you listen
understand and follow lectures easily
listen to tapes of books
read essays aloud to yourself or to someone else
read into a tap recoreder and play it back, hearing your own voice is very effective

Then You're auditory! You think best when you hear information.

Do You:

Excell at hands on projects
Insist on doing posters, dances, dioramas when ever possible
Learn by role playing, building, performing
Memorize well while juggling or skipping rope

Then your kinesthetic, you learn best when you DO something.

Now that you know your style, go with it! When studying use the techniques listed above!

TAKING NOTES!

Taking notes is very important....considering it is the core of your studying!

-Never rely on other peoples notes, books, etc Take your own notes, writing it will ingrave it into your brain

-take out a few vowels, abbreviate, but WRITE CLEARLY so you can understand them later

-Recopy or rewrite your notes to reinforce your memory!

-Make up silly words or acronyms to remember things. Songs and analogys also are found helpful for me

-highlight key words, don't overhighlight or it wont show the significance of the more important key words

-(see below diagrams for another tip)

"YOu shouldn't know the material, you should understand it." My teacher

DIAGRAMS:

You can use venn diagrams, charts, connection maps, fishbone maps, pictures and webs (bubbling) to map out your ideas.

Cool pens, highlighters, making your notes glitter make them alot more interesting while studying!

Concentration and Study skills-

-Change your lightbulb! the lighting actually affects how well you study!

-if you get frustrated, stop and go to another assignment

-Always study atleast 3 days before the test. Cramming the night before will not help an dyou stay up half the night studying and then you are tired in the morning.

-on objective tests (multiple choice, word bank, matching etc.) always do the ones you are sure of first, then you can narrow the other answers down

-listen for any clues your teacher may give. My teacher sometimes says "this is going to beon the test *wink wink*". You should star that part and make sure you know it.

-Ask the teacher for help if you need it

-bring all your materials so you are ready and come early so you are not rushed

-Go over your answers before you turn the test in

-Go over, Correct, and File the test so you have it for finals to study

PATH TO PERFECT PAPERS-
-Pick a topic you are interested it

-Plan your paragraphs, thesis statement

-Review your notes on the topic

-Write supporting paragraphs which are details to the theses, or main idea

-Read your own paper and revise it, check for chronological order, grammar spelling add new vocabulary, get rid of vague words such as "things, stuff, kind, very"

-A GREAT way to get a good paper is have teachers, peers, and even a parent edit your paper. REWRITE REWRITE AND REWRITE will ALWAYS give that extra edge for the "+"

OTHER INFORMATION!

Start with the hardest assignment and end with the easiest
Make a list of your prioritys before beginning
Take advantage of your free time.
GET SLEEP! you think MUCH better and feel alot better in the morning.
Eat healthy! your brain thinks better that way too!
TRY NOT TO WRITE WHEN YOU DO NOT FEEL WELL, unless you have no choice. You should do important things whe you are well minded, rested, and feeling great!
Try for not minimum but excell above minimum to get that extra edge to a "plus"

EXTRA cREDIT is always a good way to raise your grade!
ASK FOR HELP! do not be afraid. your parents and teachers are here to guide you!

Tip top Tips

Teach the material to someone else! explain it with great useful detail, always pretend like you are teaching a first grader, don't think "well that is obvious i dont need to put that in my (essay, report etc)"

Sometimes a change in friends is a change in grades. Maybe the crowd you hang out with do not exactly have the same goals as you.

Find a study/homework buddy!
Make up quizzes for your friends and yourself.

When in class, pay attention and turn off your personal life, dont think about thing such as "whats for lunch" or" i hope she isn't mad at me" concentrate on the material being taught

GUidence counselors can helpp you with your life, homework, and s/he will keep it confidential. They can give you all the help you need and suggest things for you such as programs to help you and ways to improve.

I hope this article i wrote helps (it took me all day!) Keep studying (and dancing)

XoXo Dancerely, XoXo
Alex

32 Replies to The Ultimate Guide to Better Grades!!!

re: The Ultimate Guide to Better Grades!!!
By lulu_doll Comments: 1115, member since Sun Sep 02, 2001
On Thu Jan 06, 2005 01:36 AM
I think this will help so many people :)

Do I feel a sticky coming on?
By Angelulu17 Comments: 5145, member since Mon Nov 03, 2003
On Sat Jan 08, 2005 08:45 AM
this is great but when it is like the end of the quarter I always feel like i am on a melt down because of all the tests ans stuff so it is hard to always do your best
re: The Ultimate Guide to Better Grades!!! (karma: 1)
By lildancergurl26member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1131, member since Sat Jul 31, 2004
On Sun Jan 09, 2005 08:45 AM
This was very helpful but I still stress over tests and quizzes all the time. My grades are the worst they have ever been! :? I was am suppose to be an A B sometimes C student and now in most classes like Algebra II *shutters*, Biology, and World Cultures all I ever see is C's and D's and occasional B's. It's so frustrating when I am trying soooo hard. The only thing different from last year is that I don't see my best friend anymore. He used to be in all of my classes and now he's in none of them. I have a habit of falling asleep when I'm bored and last year I had my friend there to always keep me "entertained" (he's the class clown, if you will). Anyways I guess I'm just venting because starting Monday I have all Midterms, test, and quizzes in all my subjects. GRRR!

*runs off to study*

LUV*xoxo* IDA

P.S. This should be made a sticky, it may help a lot of people.
By PolkaDotmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1185, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Sat Jan 22, 2005 09:19 PM
I have one more tip to add:
try as hard as you can to get off DDN when you need to study and do your homework.

(thats what I should be doing right now!)
By diva_forever Comments: 139, member since Mon Jan 17, 2005
On Tue Jan 25, 2005 05:54 AM
Hi there,
Thanks for reinforcing these nice tips! I have read them many times on several homework help websites but reinforcing brings new inspiration everytime.
I would have surely tried rating your post if I had posted 50 comments already but well, I am still a new member.

Sincerely,
diva_forever
thanx
By low1rydamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 26, member since Mon Feb 14, 2005
On Mon Feb 14, 2005 07:00 PM
These are great ideas to keep in mind when studying. It's worth a shot.
By ItchyTorsomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 887, member since Tue Jan 11, 2005
On Sun Feb 20, 2005 08:29 AM
Thank you so much for making this thread!! This will help so many people improve their grades and working habits.
By pink_starlett Comments: 52, member since Tue Mar 08, 2005
On Tue Mar 15, 2005 02:05 PM
thankyou this is a great help, im going to really try from now on... this really made me realise i have to work better in classes now... im going to start 2moro, thankyou very very much1
thanks
By PointeKid Comments: 9, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Sun Mar 20, 2005 01:02 PM
that was gr8, i will print it out and follow it
By pinktutu25member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 165, member since Tue Mar 08, 2005
On Sun Mar 20, 2005 05:56 PM
wow! thanks a bunch i'll try and do that and i shall become a strait "a" student!!!!
By nina_ballerina Comments: 111, member since Mon Mar 28, 2005
On Thu Mar 31, 2005 02:14 AM
WOW!!! That'll help me soooo much. Thank you!!!!!
By dancer172 Comments: 1033, member since Tue Jun 29, 2004
On Sun Apr 10, 2005 04:57 PM
I started working really hard on my grades this year and am doing great. I got most of those covered. thanks
xo
Chrissy
By Zynthia Comments: 3335, member since Mon Jan 03, 2005
On Mon May 02, 2005 09:56 PM
Those are really true, I totally agree with what some else said before, try to stay away ddn when you ahve homework, tests or things like that.
By mascara_tearsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 249, member since Sat May 07, 2005
On Thu May 12, 2005 12:12 AM
Thanx that was sooo helpful.. i've been put in the "smart class" this year and the teacher gives us hard assignments... i will be putting these tips to use!
Better grades
By xxmikkixx Comments: 9, member since Thu May 12, 2005
On Thu May 12, 2005 07:19 AM
this is gr8 ta for the help i think it will help every1
By peninsula Comments: 17, member since Mon Aug 30, 2004
On Sun May 22, 2005 03:31 PM
Thank you so much. it help alot!!!
By prfreak Comments: 150, member since Sat Jun 04, 2005
On Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:37 AM
Thank you so much because i did not do as well as I wanted to in the recent mid-years. I think LOADS of people will benefit from this forum as most dancers on this site are still studying. Here are some more tips:
--> If you find listening to the radio helps you when you do your work, then do it. But make sure you can still function without the radio as there is usually no music during tests--a blank mind is not something that everyone wants to have.
--> Try to go through your material more than once--you remember things better.If you start preparing for the test a more than a couple of weeks before the actual test, some revision closer to the date of the test will help as people are more likely to forget what they have learnt a couple of weeks ago.
=Hope this helps!=
By funkydancin19 Comments: 115, member since Sun Jun 12, 2005
On Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:05 PM
omg you must have put alot of time into that

well its summer but i liked you advise so i printed it out and will us it for highschool

thanks a bunch
By Irish_Bubbles Comments: 477, member since Sun Oct 10, 2004
On Thu Jun 16, 2005 01:38 AM
I have to agree with the extra credit thing...in my world cultures class, I did a total of five assignments (literally, I counted them), and two presentations...but I got an A in the class. I had 110 points of extra credit at the end of the semester-and the extra credit was way more fun than the subject matter. Not a great way to go through, school, but I think it's funny.
By fossegirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4177, member since Thu Nov 06, 2003
On Fri Jul 15, 2005 09:51 AM
Thank you! I'm definitely using some of that stuff next year!
---kait
By catytheballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 651, member since Mon Sep 06, 2004
On Wed Aug 31, 2005 07:34 AM
wow! that is really informative and helpfull!

Caty!
By PinkPearlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2044, member since Sun Aug 17, 2003
On Fri Sep 02, 2005 07:31 AM
Thank you so much for posting this! School is starting really soon, and I could use some tips. This was VERY helpful. I usually get good grades, but now that I am going into highschool I will neeed to be a bit more on the ball lol. I rated you up, and I think I will print this also!
By cloverdanse Comments: 91, member since Sun Apr 03, 2005
On Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:07 AM
these are very great tips!
The Ultimate Guide to Better Grades!!!
By danceology Comments: 79, member since Tue Aug 16, 2005
On Mon Sep 12, 2005 05:51 PM
This post is legendary! I am doing uni and I find that I fall into habbits constantly, this has just rekindled my spirit. THANKS. KARMA
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch