Popular Highland

Stone Mountain Dance Results by lnbscott
Does anyone have dance competition results from Stone Mountain Georgia? Thanks.

Forum: Hip Hop / Hip Hop

Page:
Page 1 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Hip Hop
Hip-hop Dance Styles: BASIC KNOWLEDGE (karma: 11)  en>fr fr>en
By Invent Comments: 1693, member since Wed Jan 14, 2004
On Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:14 PM
Made sticky by balletgurl (11968) on 2005-01-06 12:33:17

During my time posting here on dance.net, I have tried to make a difference in regards to how people view hip-hop on the hip-hop forum. Many come in with MAJOR misconceptions regarding hip-hop dancing. It's rather insulting. It's like someone coming to the ballet section saying ballet is only for little white girls in tights and pink tutus, and its not a real dance.

So why am I posting this? The answer is simple: to educate ALL dancers about the dance I love. And I encourage people from all section to make such posts, even in other sections! So, here's some basics on REAL hip-hop, terms and corrections of media wrong-doing.

Hip-hop (studio)- Studio hip-hop, is NOT considered (among true hip-hop heads) real hip-hop. Hip-hop, in its early years, was rather sexist and homophobic. So, the ballet dancers that could not make it in ballet that tried hip-hop and were shunned there, came together and created their own style of dance that they could pawn off to the dance world as hip-hop. When the video era came about, it was THESE dancers that were making it into videos (by means of producers that knew NOTHING about hip-hop).

The end result of all this, is what you see as MOST dancing in music videos: pirrouettes, pencil turns, fluid/languid arm movements, borrowed names for movements and no different styles, and the requirement of ballet as a background (due to much ballet influence).

Hip-hop (party dancing)- It's just that: how people dance at parties!!! This includes mainly MOVES such as the Harlem Shake, the Crip Walk (also C-Walk...this is a GANG dance and should not be done), krumping, 2-stepping and grinding/freakdancing/booty popping, etc.

The THREE ORIGINAL HIP-HOP DANCES (bboying/locking/popping)- Bboying is really the only TRUE hip-hop dance. (PLEASE do not call it BREAKDANCING. That is a media term that hip-hop heads HATE. There is no such thing as a breakdancer or breakdancing. It would be like us calling ballet "TuTu Dancing". It would get on your nerves!!!) Locking and Popping (TWO separate dances... its like saying Ballet and Jazz) both come out of FUNK music dance styles (hence the nickname, the funkstyles). Bboying developed along with the newly budding style of hip-hop (before it was named as such) in 1972.

If you ask any hip-hop head that knows their history, and not what MTV or BET shows them, then they will tell you, "the TRUE hip-hop dance styles are where it is at!!!" Bboying consists of 4 different styles that are their own dances. Locking is its own dance style. (There is no such thing as poplocking or pop-n-lock.) And the umbrella style of popping (which is why we say funkstyles) has over 26 separate styles of dance. When I say style, I am not talking about "flavor," meaning a different look to the same dance techniques, I mean 26 individual FORMS of dance with their own separate and special techniques.

When you look at hip-hop from this perspective, there is no such thing as "Jazz-funk", there is no such thing as "Street"/"Disco Street", there is no such thing as hip-hop in a studio (there are exceptions...). Why? In the eyes of someone who is IN LOVE with this CULTURE, someone that lives it every second of their life, the rest is all fake.

"Accept no substitues!!!" Always go for the real deal. Hip-hop dancers don't follow 8-counts, we make up our own movements based on techniques for the individual dance styles. Any good hip-hop dancer can dance (bust) to any song, anywhere, anytime, and not repeat a move for several hours. Keep that in mind when you think about hip-hop dancing.

Peace and Respect to ALL dancers,
Invent
Funkacidal Maniacs Crew

193 Replies to Hip-hop Dance Styles: BASIC KNOWLEDGE

re: Hip-hop Dance Styles: BASIC KNOWLEDGE en>fr fr>en
By Courtesy Comments: 73, member since Tue Nov 30, 2004
On Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:26 PM
So when people say "popnlock" what are they thinking of? How did the misconception of "popnlock" come about? Why is popping and locking two completely different dances that cannot be intertwined?

Three questions in a row...sorry! =D
By im_just_a_girl Comments: 3, member since Thu Jan 06, 2005
On Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:34 PM
One word...whoa...

Anyways, I'm trying to get involved in dance, particularly 'hip-hop' cause most of my friends know how to dance, and I feel left out. I feel embarrassed cause we'll go to parties and clubs and stuff like that and I'll be the only one not dancing!!! Can you help me...please???
On Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:36 PM
Apparently (and there is video evidence of this...) people would be popping, and THEN go straight into locking... so the common confusion by general audiences couldnt decipher the two dances, thus calling them poplocking or popnlock, when in reality they were looking at Popping and then locking.
Popping and Locking are two dances with their own separate dynamics. Try combining the waltz and moshing, or swing and the foxtrot, maybe ballet and tap. Then you have Maltz, Soxtrot and Tallet. Somehow... it just doesnt work.
Invent
re: Hip-hop Dance Styles: BASIC KNOWLEDGE (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By Keitsumember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 100, member since Tue Jan 04, 2005
On Thu Jan 06, 2005 02:25 PM
Personally ive never had a problem with other people calling bboying breakdancing. It has never offended me but then again... I live in quite a boring state with no other bboys really at all. *sniff sniff* so sad... Thanks for the history lesson I didn't know ballet had that much influence on it because when I look at ballet today since my sisters were in it, it looks nothing like the dancing you see in the media which I personally don't like MTV and all that. I find this "in the club" stuff really silly. How everyone has a misconception of the word ghetto and everything because if they were ghetto they would be wearing ripped up clothes and they would be dirty, poor, unhealthy, rugged etc... It isn't a pretty site and that is why I like helping the poor to make them feel better and to give them a better life. While I may like the music some (although I find much of the lyrics and things to be completely horrible) I never really was in the flow with it. Instead ive always been dancing to trance music ^_^ However since ive been forced to dance to this so called "Hip hop" music I have never known much about it.

I just know its really not a true form of real African American music because ive studied Capoeira and I've talked to a Foreign exchange student from Africa who says all this music isn't at all really true. In fact he liked listening to techno music.

Heh... I didn't know the C - Walk was a gang dance... but from what gang then? I don't see what gang it could be from since the crip walk must be from the Crips but then what does the C stand for in C-walk? Is there a B-Walk?

Thanks again for the history lesson it helped increase my knowledge and its nice to have people like you around rather then trying to explain it to all the people at my so called "catholic school" when all the white people trying to convert to this "fake hip hop and talk style trends" (not being racist just stating the truth of what is going on) Everyone in this world seems so influenced by this media on MTV and all. Maybe I'm not influenced because I despise tv because its boring the only thing I watch is the History channel and the Science channel... The only reason why I do popping/locking bboying etc... is because one I enjoy it because I've had advantages in Martial arts and Gymnastics, and the popping and locking because a person introduced me to it and I like it. I watch tutorials and videos to see how they dance like this, but I ask you Invent what is this really? With everything there has to be some history and richness behind it. I do not wish to become one of these people who changes their whole entire self to go with this fake flow. Besides being asian is fun ^_^

Anyways sorry that it was long with run on sentences which I do have a problem with... I hope it makes sense and if you could get back to me that would be great.

-Kei Kei
On Thu Jan 06, 2005 02:45 PM
I heard awhile ago that there is a C-Walk and a Crip-Walk. The C-Walk came first and the Crip-Walk is supposed to be a variation on it. The Crip-Walk being the gang walk.

I also heard about a Blood-Walk, where they spell out crip with their feet and then stomp on it, something like that.

This is all hearsay.
On Thu Jan 06, 2005 03:08 PM
Sigh.... more typing for me...
I will first tackle the C-Walk/Crip-Walk/B-Walk issue...

C-walk is short for CRIP-WALK. And yes... Crip walk belongs to the CRIPS. The person who populaized the Crip walk was Dub C when he did it in one of his videos. (Dub C is an LA area rapper who is a crip and a member of the Westside Connection rap group).
There is NO DIFFERENCE between the C-walk and the crip-walk... Its like saying MTV or Music Television, or BET and Black Entertainment Television.
The B-walk/Blood-walk is something that came along AFTER the c-walk. It IS similar to the crip-walk... but for bloods (the rival gang of the crips). Bloods will sometimes "spell out" crip with thier footmovements and then "cross it out". If you've ever met anyone from either of these gangs, you would know they have a habit of crossing out letters that have to do with rival gangs. (ie- if u go to a birthday party for a guy named bobby, crips would go up to th ebanner that says "HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOBBY!!!" and cross out all of the "B's" with a marker or whatever...

To answer Keitsu regarding hip-hop not being "african-American":
Hip-hop IS an american/african-american/hispanic-american/asian-american culture.
IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW THINGS ARE/WERE DONE IN AFRICA!!! It is entire of its own design. The DJing came from Jamaica, the bboying came from NYC gang dances, Af.-Am. popular culture dance influence, and the Capoeira did not come in UNTIL bboying hit the westcoast post-1982. As for the locking influences: again, popular african american dancing (the funky chicken). Popping, has MANY influences that I am currently attempting to get to the bottom of... but some is miming, some is entirely brand new techniques, some MIGHT be from ritualistic dancing... who knows?? I'ma find out though...
Invent
PS- STOP MAKING ME TYPE!!!!
On Thu Jan 06, 2005 03:36 PM
NEVER! You will type till I say stop!

...Okay stop.
By Keitsumember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 100, member since Tue Jan 04, 2005
On Fri Jan 07, 2005 04:28 PM
Quoting Invent "and the Capoeira did not come in UNTIL bboying hit the westcoast post-1982."

You could be right or wrong simply because you could possibly mean that Capoeira didn't come along until bboying hit the westcoast post - 1982 in which that is when it came to AMERICA. Or you could be wrong in the sense that Capoeira has existed only since post - 1982, because Capoeira has existed since the colonial times in South America. Capoeira was needed to fight so they disguised it as a dance and now there are two seperate styles of Capoeira taught in the world.

Thank you for clarifying what I wanted to know Invent ^_^
By Jahz Comments: 221, member since Wed Dec 15, 2004
On Fri Jan 07, 2005 07:58 PM
Edited by Jahz (116325) on 2005-01-07 21:25:48 ... ugly writing.
To input a little of my (biased and blank, possibly and almost probably) knowledge, African Americans are by far the largest group of people that influenced american pop(ular) culture and has had the most influence on it. I don't need to really state what they did... because they did a lot, including creating a large amount of the music genres we (the ordinary people with their boring/hectic lives) hear and listen to today.

What Invent meant was that it didn't come to America since post-1982... At least I'm assuming that's what he meant.

Hahaha, Kei. Being asian is kinda fun isn't it? LOL
By cherriechick Comments: 237, member since Thu Jan 06, 2005
On Fri Jan 07, 2005 08:10 PM
i just started a hiphop class but i dont always feel comfortable. i feel like someone will thank there is somthing wrong with me because people only know me as the girl who does ballet and tap. What can i do to maybe feel better about trying out hiphop.
On Fri Jan 07, 2005 09:56 PM
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2005-03-07 13:23:48 Please spell out u and ur
Hey... Keitsu... I didnt make it clear... Capoeira didnt enter the realm of bboying until 1982 or 83. I was not saying Cap did EXist until that time.. I am well aware that cap has been around for perhaps centuries...
And to Cherry...
The MOST important thing is hip-hop is to BE CONFIDENT WITH WHAT YOU DO!!! I think if even you are only following choreography... you MUST have your own style in that, and not look like everyone else...
If everyone looks the same in choreography... the instructor has failed... that's my opinion.
Invent
By Emjay9 Comments: 126, member since Fri Dec 10, 2004
On Sat Jan 08, 2005 01:02 AM
Okay woah... Dude you are smart. Ever think of writing to the board of education and asking them if you could start hip hop history classes at your local university?? haha. just playing, but for real you've just added more knowledge on top of what you wrote just a few days ago.

In one of your previous posts you say you've done alot of travelling. Are you ever gonna come down to Australia?

And as far as you wanting to stop typing.. good luck. There's no way you can have that much knowledge and expect people not to want to take a bite out of it. haha. Keep doing your thing.

Peace
By TrippyJing Comments: 395, member since Tue Nov 09, 2004
On Sat Jan 08, 2005 02:17 AM
Knowing history isn't being smart. It's just being knowledgable. For instance, I wouldn't say a kid who knew everything about Magic cards be smart, but I would say he's knowledgable about Magic. There's a fine difference.
By damon_k Comments: 228, member since Tue Nov 19, 2002
On Sat Jan 08, 2005 08:36 AM
what...no mention of freestyle.....?
By iH0p Comments: 562, member since Wed Aug 04, 2004
On Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:47 PM
freestyle is what i'd like to call... just being you and feeling the music, no boundaries, no rules... just the motion you make in correspondance to how you feel. am i right? or close?

IHOP
On Sat Jan 08, 2005 07:41 PM
I got myself the Juste Debout dvd awhile back...and I still wonder why they call that last category "Newstyle."
By damon_k Comments: 228, member since Tue Nov 19, 2002
On Sat Jan 08, 2005 09:57 PM
I would just like to know what Invent knows of its history and its ties to Hip Hop.
On Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:28 PM
To be honest... I dont know much about freestyling and its links to hip-hop. I know Brian Green said he knew of two people that truely could freestyle. I know that the act of freestyling is something that is a main aspect of hip-hop dancing, but im not too sure about the dance style of freestyling.
Invent
By LiLSweetDancer86 Comments: 19, member since Mon Jan 10, 2005
On Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:17 PM
Invent~ Thanks for the knowledge on hip-hop! It was extremely useful!!!

I'm actually gettin' into or rather was getting into hip-hop dancing, but im about to turn 19 and i'm in college right now, so im usually at school, at work, sleeping, or partying... not so much the partying lately but i'm moving out of my parents house... lolz, sad, i'm almost 19, but it's about time anywayz! Seriously though, since i've been dancing from age 13, it's like really important to me... but it's a struggle though, paying for college, working with a lot of what's left of my time!

A lot of people i know, just don't understand, what is it about dancing that hooks the dancers of today and yesterday... some people will never understand. It was hard for me to accept for a while. But since i can't really afford or have much time to get serious and take hip-hop dance classes or join a crew, i opt for going to the clubs and lettin' loose instead!

Anywayz, Invent~
It wasn't quite clear to me about the whole hip-hop dancing. Part of it! I understand and realize that there are those different true types of hip-hop dancing... but as far as freestyle goes... i guess the question is, freestyle is your own style, the way you feel the beats and what not, your own making. In that case then why can't you call what some people doing - poppin' n lockin' - can't you mix? Why is this a missconception, i can see how people, who just don't know the diff can just plainly say poppin' in lockin', but seriously,you can intertwine different types of hip-hop can't you? Just curious about your thoughts, you know a lot! Thankz
~Lataz K~
On Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:38 PM
Well, LilSweet-
Those of us who are still stuck in the old school, we HATE mixing. We view each dance style as individual and separate, and believe they should stay that way. Mainly because we dont wanna have to deal with confusion. Then also, someone should be puttin the time in to come up with their own moves, and not just incorperate the moves of other styles and call it "something new". So in other words, its more about putting in the time and the work to create your own stuff based off the foundations of the dance you have set before you.
Invent
On Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:07 AM
That, and when people DID do these dances back to back, they
made a point to distinguish between the dances. They'd say they
were POPPING and LOCKING. Not Popping'n'Locking. There's a fine
difference.

Popping and locking. Popping then locking. Locking then popping.

But not both at the same time.
Original In Ur Own Way en>fr fr>en
By Pretje Comments: 2, member since Wed Nov 24, 2004
On Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:36 PM
Removed by imadanseur (79325) on 2005-03-07 13:22:42 Please spell out full words when posts, and do not use the caps lock.
I THINK HIP HOP IS CREATING UR OWN DANCE STYLE AND WHEN U SIT ON BALLET OR JAZZ OR U PLAY BASKETBALL IT ALL COME TOGHETER IN HIP HOP. It's a creation off alot of dance styles and street things it started in africa
On Wed Jan 12, 2005 01:09 PM
It's posts like that that make me believe in evolution, and regression...
Invent
On Wed Jan 12, 2005 01:59 PM
I believe in contraception.
Page:
Page 1 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch