Forum: General / Hip Hop / Hip Hop

Page:
Page 3 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
re: Hip-hop Dance Styles: BASIC KNOWLEDGE
By Lovely_Lily Comments: 79, member since Wed Dec 31, 2003
On Sun Mar 20, 2005 01:31 AM
There is a certain thing that I noticed.. many people around my area look at black as the majority of true Hip Hop. In truth, it's extremely diverse. However, in my area, it's quite different. If you're wondering, I usually hang around the Oakland, Berkeley, Richmond area in California. True hip hop and tight dancing was the clown walk, the c-walk, harlem shake, etc. Those were tight moves. I've seen my friends and many people I know try to choreograph or actually dance.. That's basically what they do. It's completely unorganized, and not even 8-counted if you do basic choreography.. just..messy.. No one knows the true meaning of Hip Hop. They laugh at the fact that someone takes Hip Hop classes. They laugh when they see actual real dance and say "where's the c-walk? ya'll can't even hit that?" Plain and simple, many people confuse Hip Hop. Everyone is so influenced with MTV, BET, and with everyone else...Everyone's a follower.. I'm not really saying completely everyone, but most people.. well, at least the ones I know, but many of people I know are complete wannabes who try way too hard to act hard and tight.
By danceallnight2 Comments: 24, member since Sun Mar 20, 2005
On Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:52 AM
Ok, I don't want to sound stupid but what is the difference between popping and locking? You state throughout these posts that they are two completely different dances but you never state HOW they are different. Your post is very factual, as opinionated as it is. I take hip hop at a studio but it's not like what you describe as 'studio hip hop'. Our teacher tells us to loosen up, have our own style, and we get as close to 'real' hip hop as you can get in a studio. I went to a dance competition last month and I noticed that all of the hip hop entries were nothing but jazz put to some hip hop music. It was rather pathetic. I was in disgust that these people thought thats what hip hop was. Don't know how much sense this post made I tried.
)Roisu(
By Invent Comments: 1693, member since Wed Jan 14, 2004
On Sun Mar 20, 2005 07:24 PM
DanceAllNight...
Please read the following posts:
www.dance.net . . .

www.dance.net . . .

Invent
By danceallnight2 Comments: 24, member since Sun Mar 20, 2005
On Mon Mar 21, 2005 04:03 PM
I think I understand better now. Thanks. Sorry if I sound naive or just plain annoying. You do know alot about hip hop and I commend you for that. Thanks Much!
Hip Hop
By Copernicus Comments: 2, member since Tue Mar 15, 2005
On Tue Mar 22, 2005 08:42 PM
I am familiar with Hip Hop (Party Dancing, Club Dancing) and Break dancing(It is the name I have always called it) I am not sure that I can identify the difference between poppin and lockin. I am sure I have seen both and probably done both, but I have never seen then labeled.
By UConnDavemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 165, member since Tue Jul 20, 2004
On Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:24 AM
knowlegdable man invent. i respect you for your love for dance and the amount of information youve brought to dance.net. props you invent. be easy.

asian dave
By meandonlyme Comments: 378, member since Sun Jul 04, 2004
On Wed Mar 23, 2005 04:12 AM
Removed by MIClogger (28613) on 2005-05-10 21:00:34 You agree with WHAT? Please give more detail in your responses...
yeah.. i totally agree..
By Dianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 708, member since Thu Feb 03, 2005
On Sun Apr 03, 2005 03:32 AM
So break doesn't exist? Or did I misunderstand?
Good post! Wow you really are love this dancestyle. A hiphopper at heart ;)
By Dance_queen08 Comments: 35, member since Sat Jan 01, 2005
On Mon Apr 04, 2005 09:59 PM
Removed by imadanseur (79325) on 2005-05-10 11:34:49 Pointless post. Please type out something more than the word hello to add to the conversation on the boards. If you have nothing to add, don't post.
Hello
By HDCNYPremium member Comments: 80, member since Thu Apr 28, 2005
On Mon May 09, 2005 10:22 AM
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2005-05-10 11:34:22 It's not necessary to have the entire post in bold print.
First, I'd like to say that your knowledge of hip-hop history is quite impressive. And you're right, MOST dance studios do not teach the true form and instead do this commercialized conterfeit hip-hop which is only called hip-hop to make money off of the growing "fad" as the media likes to call it.

But I'd like to inform you that not every dance studio or school is like that. A few years ago I came to NY from Arizona seeking out hip-hop dance classes and wanting to make a professional career. I really thought that hip-hop was what you see on TV because that's all I was ever exposed to. Then I found a school called BLADE.

At BLADE as what they call a Dancer in Training you cannot progress to any higher level without knowing their core basics (basic pop, fresno pop, uprock, chair freeze, baby freeze, one step, six step, threading, waving (joint isolations), tuts, and CC Rock.) You have to know the history of hip-hop (Afrikka Bambataa, Gil Scot Heron, DJ Kool Herc, Grand Master Flash.) We do hip-hop dance theory, music theory (understanding what producers are doing with music and how it relates to our careers as dancers), anatomy and physiology, dance kinesiology and a whole plethora of other things you don't find ANYWHERE.

The company is 96% female. So just picture seeing more than 1 or 5 females that can do power moves, windmills, nike's!! It's an amazing thing to see. Along with choreography that is highly technical and sought after all over the nation. And yes, we are taught using counts. We are taught that counts count movements and allow for strategic manipulation of movement in relation to the music that's playing. Making our freestyle better, our choreography hotter and our understanding of all dance movement keener.

I thought I knew about hip-hop until I came to BLADE. I came in expecting something totally different. The way they advertise themselves and looking at their website, I expected a challenge but not the type of real hip-hop education I received. They tackled hip-hop from an educational perspective. Forcing us to rethink hip-hop and what it means to us. It changed my life. Now I am heading up admissions for a new school they have developed. I want to help them spread the knowledge that is hip-hop to others just as they have done for me.

There is a professional dance school out here in NY that is representing the real hip-hop and I just couldn't reply without making you aware of their existence and their contribution to hip-hop.
On Tue May 10, 2005 03:53 AM
wow.. sounds cool.
By dancer1123 Comments: 14, member since Tue Apr 26, 2005
On Tue May 10, 2005 08:28 AM
thats so awesome. im doing an English project right now on the history of dance and you just helped alot! where did you learn all of that? do you know of any websites or books that i could get more info out of?
On Wed May 11, 2005 12:31 AM
sometimes I dont even know why people should remove the post of others. if it is pointless jus leave it be la. netslang, still can understand a lil. oh my goodness. anyway, I am off topic. but I don't think this is pointless right? so, it should not get deleted. =0
Useful info
By ethomas Comments: 37, member since Fri Apr 22, 2005
On Thu May 12, 2005 03:15 PM
Thanks for dropping that knowledge on us!
By ladybug7 Comments: 1, member since Mon May 16, 2005
On Mon May 16, 2005 09:58 PM
Thanks invent and buddha for the info...
By Jaime_Lynnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 486, member since Sat Nov 06, 2004
On Sat May 28, 2005 02:24 PM
I'm just curious; since it's pretty much been established here that what it taight in studios is most likely not hip hop, then what exactly is it? Jazz and Jazz/funk have been mentioned; is there anything else? I'd just like to know because I wouldn't want to go around saying I'm a hip hop dancer if that is not the case (and apparently, it's not.) Also, Invent, in a post I read on the advaned hip hop forum, you mentioned that the music we think is hip hop is not because it glorifies the ghetto lifestyle (I hope I understood that correctly( or because it is R & B. I understand what you're saying, but I was wondering if you would be willing to provide a few examples of any songs or something that are hip hop, just so I might have a basis for comparison. Pretty much everything I can think of falls into the "not really hip-hop" category, according to what you have posted. Thank you for any clarification anyone can provide.
On Sun May 29, 2005 09:57 AM
Jaime_Lynn....
Please listen to:
Jean Grae (strong female MC)... Immotal Technique, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Common (Sense), Tribe Called Quest, Atmosphere, Eyedea, believe it or not... a good number of Eminem's songs fit into this category, The Roots, Cannibus, then you can go Old-School to Run-DMC, KRS-One, Tupac, the Ghetto Boys...etc
Those are some good examples for ya!
PEaz
Invent
On Mon May 30, 2005 05:09 AM
but.. how do you define a hip hop move? especially for people who freestyle?
On Mon May 30, 2005 08:11 AM
Hip-hop dances have their own sets of moves....
I guess you just need to be in the know to know what they are...

But seriously.. hip-hop dances have foundational styles and foundational moves. Each style has its own flavor. Party dances are really the only ones that are just "moves".

As for freestyling... I say there's two types. Just utterly, entirely, making up your own movements (which is Damon_K's realm..), and then you can freestyle within the different styles.

Invent
Let me add to the freestyle part.
By lailai Comments: 46, member since Tue Nov 16, 2004
On Tue May 31, 2005 05:09 AM
There is no actual style that is called Freestyle. I think people get things confused because the studio dancers have kinda took over as far as what's easily seen out there and they are dancers who train to learn and repeat choreography. Whereas the dancer who may not totally be in the commercial spotlight but at the clubs or jams or whatever know their stuff(moves and steps) and freestyle when they dance. They don't do as in memorize and repeat choreography although they might have little sets here and there they put together but they know how to just dance and can link it all together whereas the other dancer cannot, at least not spontaneously.
So freestyle is just improvising in the moment with whatever skills in moves and skills in general you got and definitely the dancers that have been around from way back learned in an environment where there was no such thing as classes or teachers. It was you, your friends, who you'd see around, and you'd have to get it together, you were basically self-taught. So of course you freestyled and so there's that seperation between the studio dancers and those who freestyle.
So for those coming from the studio side I would imagine they would call the real street dancers freestyle dancers. I do have to mention though street dancers can do choreography and can create it as well. A good dancer is a good dancer. There are studio trained dancers who I'm sure can freestyle as well, it's just their learning environment is so heavily based on technique and of course their teacher's take on it that it's hard to be your own and create your own because for awhile you were influenced by one person so heavily and you are copying, and following for so long.
Also I think another thing that gets it all confusing is that there are so many different styles that people are sufficient at that they mix techniques and of course well, they freestyle and some people don't know what to call their style because they do so many. So it gets that one name.
However, I do remember there was a time when some of us where I'm from at least were calling the streetstyle of dancing at one time Freestyle during the Freestyle era of music in the 80's. But those moves were also done to Hip Hop music as well. Actually, now that I think of it I'm not even sure we really called the streetstyle Hip Hop early on, it was just street, all of it really except for the like popping which was street but called by it's individual name. And you know what I think most people even at that time were calling bboyin breakin or breakdance including the heads.
Hmm, that makes me think you know, to the older peeps, did you guys really call it Hip Hop(the music) way back then? I don't know I mean the term was out there but I remember alot us just called it Rap for awhile until maybe in the early 90's. Oh, I want to say that as far as all the party dancing, and I would say it's evolved to Harlem shake, cwalkin and crump or whatever, because that's definitely what the mainstream side of Hip Hop music has evolved to. I say that in the sense that although there's still true Hip Hop in the underground, the younger guys are coming up.
It sux having to split into skools of Hip Hop(music), Underground, mainstream, whatever. So I see those dances as just what it has evolved to maybe not all of it but dance does follows music. And as much as I don't consider those dances Hip Hop mostly because the music and just the people doing it I do feel like that may be where Hip Hop is at as fake as it may be. And It's really those artists out there, it's cuz their fake. Either that or the others are just going with what's happening and it's hard, people need to eat. Back to underground most that I've heard or listen to are more for lyricism and head nodding. Not many tracks for dancing really. So we're left with those dances that were inspired by those songs(ugh)on the radio and MTV. There are just not that many out there representing and taking control of it, so it's dying out and being replaced with those in the spotlight.
Anyway I am glad though that the history in all aspects is being is coming out, laid out and corrected and organized though. I'm glad the ones that have contributed in big ways are coming out and sharing and setting it straight. The information needs to get out there. Sheez, it's funny, even I'm learning things I never knew back then!Oops didn't mean for this to be so long, anyways, just another old one sharing an opinion.
On Tue May 31, 2005 05:54 AM
i guess.. freestyle is more of a term then a style? style means it can be learnt right? yeps.. anyway. thanks invent.
By lilurbantwist Comments: 12, member since Mon May 30, 2005
On Tue May 31, 2005 12:32 PM
You really seem like you know alot about hip hop. I was wondering if you could give me some clue as to how you could audition or find auditions for music videos?
Auditions huh?
By lailai Comments: 46, member since Tue Nov 16, 2004
On Tue May 31, 2005 03:46 PM
Well, I'm not sure if you were refering to myself or someone else but well, I can give you a liitle advice. For one thing, have the skills. I mean you have to be able to dance and dance well. I would say trying to go that route with dance you definitely should take classes so that you get used to doing choreography and also maybe take from a few different teachers so that you can adapt to different vibes of different choreographers and be able to do it well. Also, you gotta just keep putting yourself out there and trying. Although that world is a world that may be pretty hard to deal with, with all that it comes with. Good Luck, L.
On Thu Jun 02, 2005 08:02 AM
lailai: I am quite sure he was refering to you.. :D you reelie seem to know a lot. =)
On Thu Jun 02, 2005 08:27 AM
Meandonlyme and lailai:

If you notice... a lot of people post random comments about the BEGINNING of this thread... so you never know who the're talking about... it bugs the hell outta me.
Lailai... are you in NYC???
If so, I'll see you at HDC tonight
Invent
Page:
Page 3 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch