Forum: General / Hip Hop / Hip Hop

Page:
Page 4 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
re: Hip-hop Dance Styles: BASIC KNOWLEDGE
By meandonlyme Comments: 378, member since Sun Jul 04, 2004
On Thu Jun 02, 2005 08:55 AM
wow.. invent: quick arrangement..

yeah.. random comments are irritating.. does this forum have a quote function? like, u quote the person u are answering to..
By Invent Comments: 1693, member since Wed Jan 14, 2004
On Thu Jun 02, 2005 09:31 AM
It does... I just don't know how to use it... lol
Invent
On Thu Jun 02, 2005 09:39 AM
lol.. same here.. ;)
I wish I was in NYC!!
By lailai Comments: 46, member since Tue Nov 16, 2004
On Sat Jun 04, 2005 06:30 AM
Edited by lailai (113260) on 2005-06-04 06:29:33
Well, Invent you would've gone to this past HDC by now and I wish I could've been there. I'm sure it was a blast!! I will be in NYC in July, though not when the HDC will be on, shucks. But I'm making it a point to come up for that when I can. Well, if you know of any spots let me know!
Meandonlyme, yeah the quote thing would be really great!! Less miscommunication!! But thanks for your reassurance with that!
Love and Peace to all, L.
By bronxxx718 Comments: 24, member since Sun Mar 13, 2005
On Wed Jun 08, 2005 03:07 PM
yeah..if you dont know how to do the hill toe..then u got a long way to go lol..whats new over here now is the toe hop..
Lailai
By BLADEDANCEPremium member Comments: 429, member since Mon Feb 26, 2001
On Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:19 AM
The next HDC is July 7th here in NY at Club Shelter.
On Sat Jun 11, 2005 09:26 AM
ok.. I may sound totally silly.. but what is HDC?
On Sat Jun 11, 2005 09:53 AM
Hosue Dance Conference...
A monthly event in NYC
Invent
On Sat Jun 11, 2005 09:59 AM
ohh.. ok.. thanks. that is so cool..
By iH0p Comments: 562, member since Wed Aug 04, 2004
On Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:01 AM
...where they all sit at one of those big mahogony conference tables in a big conference room and take out charts and graphs and pointers and start discussing the huge decline in intelligence and integrity that hip hop dance and music is undergoing...

just kidding

ihop
On Sat Jun 11, 2005 07:02 PM
haha.. I believed you for a moment there.. hee.. *yawns*
hey
By crystalT43 Comments: 3, member since Wed Jul 13, 2005
On Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:03 PM
hey u guys seem to kno alot about hip hop thats really cool i kno alot bout it also i would ask u some questions but i kno alot already hope to hear from u soon
hey
By crystalT43 Comments: 3, member since Wed Jul 13, 2005
On Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:04 PM
hey u guys seem to kno alot baout hip hop i would ask u some questons but i kno alot bout hip hop myself u guys seem really cool and hope to here from u soon
By melmusicmed Comments: 7, member since Sun Jan 11, 2004
On Tue Jul 26, 2005 08:20 PM
I feel very offended that you think studio hip hop is basically crap...okay yes I agree..there are a lot of studios I compete against that make me almost throw up because of the lack of knowledge they know of the dance form.

The studio I am a apart of is Pure Dance and its basically a hip hop studio..sure there is tap, ballet and jazz but while there are full classes of every level of hip hop, there is unfortunatly 3 or 4 students in other dance forms.

The thing is, our studio is known for hip hop, our teacher (just one) doesn't teach the "typical" studio hip hop. We learn popping, locking and bboying. My teacher laughs at other dancers who try to dance to what they think is hip hop.

So don't assume that all studios are stupid and lame when there area probably others that actually care about the type of hip hop they teach their students.
By iH0p Comments: 562, member since Wed Aug 04, 2004
On Tue Jul 26, 2005 08:29 PM
i want to know where anyone says ALL dance studios are crap. when we say studio hip hop (a generalization) we're talking about what apparently your teacher also makes fun of.

coppelia
By best_kept_secret Comments: 61, member since Thu Aug 04, 2005
On Thu Aug 04, 2005 06:40 AM
hi im a dance instructor from Australia, and although you may think that makes me a country boy, it doesnt.

i'm filipino, im 16, and im a hip hop teacher in Sydney, one of the major cities of Australia. I teach in a major studio here, Bounce Dance studios, and i teach hip hop. you might call it studio hip hop, but i make up my own moves and try to make it as, sorry for the cliche, but "street" as possible. my moves aren't mainstream stuff that people do in hip hop, it's linked to my passion in dancing, popping. i'm young for an instructor, and sometimes my students are hard to keep control of, but it's a tight knit bunch of people. Popping is what i love for and what i practice everyday, and it makes sure that all my moves are sharp and i usually will have a pop or hit in the 2 outta 3 moves.
australian hip hop... kind of a paradox
charles
By dancexp Comments: 54, member since Mon Aug 08, 2005
On Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:53 PM
I tryed hiphop and I dont prefer it. I like watching it. But I suck. Please dont discrimanate against ballet though. not everyone hates hiphop that is in ballet. In our studio we beleve that the more viaraty the better.
just a short stero type made easier to accept the truth.
History
By kamotion Comments: 20, member since Sun Dec 12, 2004
On Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:57 PM
Invent, you're dope. I knew you're a TRUE student as soon as you said the name BRIAN GREEN-'ledgend'. Anyway thanks for droppin the knowledge. But honestly just like hip hop music, bboying, the baby our generation gave birth to doesn't belong to us anymore. It has grown into its own self. Hip Hop started out as a form of self expression and rebillion. Well the folks with the media power and money saw what the kids were doing and saying and wanted to show the world but it was to real or to hard for them so it had to be watered down to be packaged nice for middle america to grasp. That's were hip hop is now. Musically and the dance.
Hip Hop, the beat the rythm is part of our soul. I don't like it when some of these kids today get screamed on by the for not knowing. That's not cool. As the generation who started it or lived it we now must teach period. And lets not condem what the kids are doing today. It's they form of self expression and it's gonna keep on building. Honestly I'm proud that I came from a generation that formed a movement were now in order to florish you must have HIP HOP.
HISTORY!!
By footwork Comments: 463, member since Wed Mar 06, 2002
On Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:52 AM
Edited by footwork (23139) on 2005-08-27 11:57:27
Edited by footwork (23139) on 2005-08-27 11:57:48
Edited by footwork (23139) on 2005-08-27 12:01:23
History,
It is very important. But research is much more important. But, the research is the difficult part. I don't want to sit here and try to correct anything. People usually take that wrong. Plus, like i have mentioned before my research has been used alot lately by many OLD and YOUNG, on many sites!! But, I know, first hand, many of these people couldn't PHYSICAL prove their connections and history quotes (and yes, they are dancers!!) This is important to be able to do this. Especially as a performer or teacher in a specific art form of dance, or dance in general.
I would like to say, " THANKS" for all the compliments and respect seen on some of the posts.
Also, when in an attempt to document something, it helps to be in it. It's obvious that people here have been into certain dances for a long time. BUT, yet are ignorant to other ones (and have been honest about it!! Which is good), and don't really have a clue about the history and culture of the other dances (Ballet, Tap, Jazz, African, etc..). Just reading won't help, because there is alot not written on certain dances. In my life time, I have studied many dances over at least 10 year or more each dance ( I am not the only one! But, there aren't many like this!!). Keep studying people there is alot out there. Dance is not as segregated as you think. Try doing them first. It helps in your studies. Taking an outside view of dances and speculating and reading about them, is why HIp-hop ended up in the predicament is has been in for many years (and other dance styles have had this problem!!). Old saying, " YOU HAVE TO BE IN IT!! TO WIN IT!!" LOL! Funny! But, in many ways!! TRUE!!

GOD BLESS ALL and KEEP DANCING,

Brian Footwork Green
By midnight22 Comments: 42, member since Sat Aug 27, 2005
On Sat Aug 27, 2005 04:33 PM
Once again, I have seen your dancing. I see that you have an alturistic cause, however you don not dance like an expert on anything. This is like listening to a BBoy talk about the history of Ballet. I am not trying to disrespect you in any way, however I have seen your dancing. :?
just to let the readers know
On Sat Aug 27, 2005 04:39 PM
By the way that comment was directed at Invent, not Footwork.
On Sat Aug 27, 2005 04:40 PM
No.. you HAVENT sen me dancing...
I dont like being filmed... and I like to post bad footage online...

All I can say is come see me and see how you get turned out.
Invent
On Sat Aug 27, 2005 04:43 PM
How do you know?
On Sat Aug 27, 2005 04:49 PM
I am not talking about seeing you on film. Besides before this gets blown way out of proportion, the point that I am making is that just because we see all of these different kinds of dance and we all would like to claim a stake within its history, it doesn't mean that we are experts enough to say or show what that is about. It is great that we know what it is, but I would like to hear from those who really invented it. :O
On Sun Aug 28, 2005 07:59 PM
so, where DO u get real history of dance to learn about.. I mean.. how would we know if what we are learnin is the rwal thing? also, how important is history.. sorry if I sound dumb..
Page:
Page 4 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch