re: Hip-hop Dance Styles: BASIC KNOWLEDGE
By yaara Comments: 137, member since Sat Jan 07, 2006
On Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:25 PM
invent is nice yeah...
By Invent Comments: 1693, member since Wed Jan 14, 2004
On Wed Jan 25, 2006 02:48 PM
Well Welsh....
Unfortunately... I doubt you'll be able to pick up popping in 5 days... lol.
Invent

Good luck on the show.
By MemphisOriginalE Comments: 26, member since Mon Jan 23, 2006
On Wed Jan 25, 2006 04:05 PM
I respect the fact that you are taking out the time to educate others about The TRU hip hop. That is influencing.
By MemphisOriginalE Comments: 26, member since Mon Jan 23, 2006
On Thu Jan 26, 2006 01:06 AM
I gotta question. I'm not bein' funny or anything but I'm tryin' to get ya mind-frame bout this; aaight so you think that all hip hop dancers don't do 8counts? Can you explain what you mean about that in detail if you can mane. I wanna undastand that because I know some groups you use 8counts. So do you mean in general, or individually, or...whateva, somethin' like that. Holla back Blessin's
On Thu Jan 26, 2006 07:45 AM
I never said "ALL" hiphop dancers dont use 8 counts. What i said is that those that do popping, locking, bboying etc... dont use 8 counts. That is on an individual basis and for a lot of them... even on a routine basis.

8 Counts are something from the studio.
Invent
By hiphop4lyfe Comments: 60, member since Sun Jan 22, 2006
On Mon Jan 30, 2006 06:16 PM
These postings are great. Every since I have come onto dance.net I have found the information on here very imformative and necessary in order for any dancer or any person who immerses themselve into the hip hop culture. Much of the topics discussed I have eaten up and digested because it is knowledge that I need to improve as a dancer. I want to be a choreographer and I want to get to a new level in hip hop. I want to give others the opportunity to see hip hop the way that I see it. I am putting on a production at my school using the hip hop influence. Does anyone have any advice that they can give to help me out.

hiphop4lyfe~new school
basic knowledge
By Bailarina29 Comments: 41, member since Mon Sep 13, 2004
On Wed Feb 22, 2006 09:02 PM
TTTHHHAAAAANNNKE YYYOOOUUU!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU, It is greeat to have someone so versed explain it out!! Thank you :)
comfort level in class
By Bailarina29 Comments: 41, member since Mon Sep 13, 2004
On Wed Feb 22, 2006 09:18 PM
Hey, whenever we try new things there is always a level of discomfort that comes with it... mostly because we don't want to look bad or clumsy...just like in ballet or tap any new steps at first were uncomfortable...and just like you mastered those steps, practice, practice, practice practice, practice...soon it will feel more and more comfortable...like a your new skin...try to hook up with someone in the class that can help you practice practice practice practice...I remember trying modern dance for the first time...it was very difficult to be so abstract and let go of everything i was so used to in ballet...just before a performance another dancer said "let's see how lil' miss ballet will pull this off!", well lil' miss ballet really pulled it off and it felt so great!!! It will for you too!!! Don't give up!!! Best Wishes!!! :)
By kickbumk8 Comments: 55, member since Tue Jan 31, 2006
On Wed Mar 22, 2006 01:53 PM
heya, no offence, but all that stuff about real and (sort-of) fake hip-hop really confused me! so, i was just wondering, you know the film 'you got served', is that real hip-hop, or is that just a copy of hip-hop. and you know sum people call it 'bboyin' i love 'break-dancing' and isnt that exactly the same thing?

the only reason i say that, is that i'm a girl, and i think it is quite sexest! i know that that might have been what it was origionally called, but girls have got into it aswell, so why do people care if its called break-dancing, breaking or b-boyin?

just wondering ! :) :]

thanks kate x.
By iH0p Comments: 562, member since Wed Aug 04, 2004
On Thu Mar 23, 2006 02:20 PM
it's called b-boying

OR b-girling if you're a girl

fake hip hop means hip hop with none of the hip hop foundations in it... at all. so if you all you see are kick-ball changes to pirouettes and MOSTLY ballet technique and jazz but with a lot of attitude.. chances are... not so much hip hop.

you don't have to pay attention to everythign in that post...

but don't you think today's hip hop is sexist?

ihop
By partygrll Comments: 1, member since Sat Mar 18, 2006
On Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:21 AM
Cute pic. en>fr fr>en
By charlanflinger Comments: 153, member since Tue May 17, 2005

On Sat Mar 18, 2006 06:21 PM

Edited by charlanflinger (131049) on 2006-03-18 18:22:19 Forgot to write something - - to ask if anyone knew the dancers.

I thought that this was a cute pic to show the friendlyness of highland dancers! I also really like #365's tartan!! Does anyone know these dancers. I belive they are from Sask. but not sure.
Shelby
some info about hip hop.
By funkikmojo Comments: 6, member since Thu Apr 20, 2006
On Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:08 AM
to the guy that started this post. Popping and Locking are not Hip Hop they are Funkstyles. True BBoy is considered Hip Hop's first style but, you can't forget about social Hip Hop dancing. back to funkstyles they are under the umbrella term of Hip Hop. but they came before the word Hip Hop was used to define the culture. Bambataa didn't call it Hip Hop culture untill 1981 in an articule in the village voice. locking was created in the late 60's by Don and popping created by Sam around 74-75

.To understand the deep rooted structure of Funk & Hip Hop dance read below.

First let me give my credential: I am a member of Hip Hop & house crew Mop-Top/Elite Force from brooklyn made famous by their dance ability, choreography and the 1992 PBS documentary "wreckin shop" I study and perform with the Electric Boogaloos and Members of the Original Lockers. I am a Professor at Drexel University and a Senior Lecture at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia.

Now, when it comes to teaching FHHD (Funk & Hip Hop dance) please understand that Choreography is not Hip Hop dance, Its just choreography. Showing a class choreography is not teaching them the dance. H.H. movement is the same as learning any other dance form. There are movement principles, techniques, terminology foundation, somatic alignment, muscle control, beat comprehension, execution of movement etc. as well as learning history and musicality.

When it come to what H.H. movement is understand that it is just social movement and has its correlation to African dancing. The basic principle in H.H. is the bending of the knees and bopping of the head to give the bounce groove movement.. Moving freely with those simple principles give self-expression. Other than that there are specific dances like, (old school) criss-crosses, steve martin, fila, etc and newer ones like whobble, chicken-head, monostary, peanut butter & jelly etc. and last is choreography that is made up of the movements.

There are no pointed feet in FHHD, why? because young black and latino kids from the inner cities move naturally. someone has to teach you to point your feet. EX: when you walk, you walk heel to toe, not toe to heel...which means its natural. Improve also plays a major role in being a good F.H.H. dancer. Just because you can follow choreography doesn't make you a good FHHD it just means you can follow someone else, but where is your voice. I've seen many dancers who can't improve but can to great at choreography, being able to improve lets you know you are learning the dance.

In studing FHH dance one should understand its africanist aesthetic. Students should gain a contextual/historical understanding of FHH social dances and what role this plays in terms of social exceptance. When you study Ballet you learn terminology, history etc. H.H. is no different. There are to many people teaching what they think H.H. is, which is mostly choreography. If you want to teach H.H. you should study just like you would have to study Ballet, Jazz, Tap,etc. That way you can really teach and not just do choreography.

In the preceding paragraphs I spoke of understanding the africanist presense, social value, movement principles, somatic alignment etc. What do i mean by this? here are a few things for you to think about.

Dancing in the European tradition was built on fixed steps arranged in a limited number of repeatable patterns; west African dancing featured individual improvisation against a background of basic movement motifs. European dancers tended to keep ther back erect while lifting the torso up, toward the heavens; west African dancers tended to bend forward at the waist while projecting a sense of groundedness, of being in touch with the earth. European dance assigned a prominent central role to the male-female couple (as in the minuet of the eighteenth century and the waltz of the nineteenth century); the focus of African dance was typically on the group and on the soloists who emerged from the group and then merged back into it.

The CIRCLE: (also called the ring-shout) When performed by Africans, these dances took on elements of traditional African dance forms. In one such form, the circle dance, shouting and clapping dancers sway, stamp, and shuffle while individuals detach themselves from the circle to improvise more complicated movements in the center. Ployrhythmic and ploycentric complexity of such improvisations in acknowledged in the praise that good dancers earn from the peers for being able to dance two, three, even four rhythms in differnt parts of thier body at the same time.

Dance can be a conservative force; through traditional forms of dance, individuals may reaffirm time honored ways of relating to their neighbors, their institutions, their gods. The social uses of dance are sometimes quite explicit: Dance has been used to rally the faithful to religious devotions, to give public sanction to private feelings, to define community standards of behavior and to test their limits. Most importantly dance in a community goes beyond these specific functions; by dancing in a socially approved way with their peers, individuals proclaim their allegiance to society as a whole-or at least to the values that their subdivision of society holds dear.

Let me speak a little bit about musicality. Teaching at the University of the Arts i teach my students what we in Hip Hop mean; or should i say what is meant by understanding musicality. There was a guest instuctor (Hip-Hop) who made a statement to my kids that all musicality is, is if a person hear's a song enough times that of course he/she can connect with all the beats in the song. This is partly true, however it is incomplete with information. It is clear that if i listen to a song enough that i will know all the beats in that song, but does that mean i understand what musicality is and how to use it while dancing? no.

Understanding musicality is knowing "HOW TO LISTEN" with out going into great detail, let me just say the more you understand how music is created the better you can dance to it. Knowing and comprehending the three planes of music which are: the sensual plane, expressive plane, and sheer musical plane. The four elements of music Rhythm, Harmony, Melody and Tone Color. Tone color being a very important element; simply a person should be able to tell the differnece between a bass and a soprano, and intrumentally a tuba from a cello. The intelligent listener should have two main objectives in relation to tone color: (a) to sharpen his awareness of different instruments and their separate tonal characteristics and (b) to gain a better appreciation of the composer's expressive purpose in using any instrument or combination of instruments.

These three planes and four elements all together explain what we mean when we talk about having musicality. What also goes into this understanding is time, space and energy of movement, also anticipation and reaction, once you can understand and anticipate musical breaks, changes etc. you need something to react with this is where foundation in movement comes into place.

Last but not least when teaching, teach the basic foundation of the movement. Not your interpretation unless the students ask for it-or to show a way of being creative with the movement. Teach the basic movement so that the students can find his/her own voice and interpretation of the movement.

Moncell "ill Kosby" Durden
Some info was taken from Aaron Copland's "HOW WE LISTEN FOR MUSIC". and Gerald Jonas "DANCING".

Here are two other books i recommend reading; Dancing many Drums by Thomas F. Defrantz and Jookin' the rise of social dance formation in african american culture by Katrina Hazzard Gordon. Peace and BLessed Wishes.
poppin and locking
By funkikmojo Comments: 6, member since Thu Apr 20, 2006
On Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:21 AM
the reason the dances are different. is one locking is done to funky music and poppin is done to funk, music, the difference in that is james brown music was funky and did not have the "clack" sound music like cameo was funk and had the "clack"

locking- is a fluid dance that ends its phrase in a lock position. and uses movements like skeeter rabbit, stop n' gos, wrist twirls, pace etc. locking is also a direct dance, the four elements of locking are funk, character, precision and 10-20.

Poppin-consists of contracting the muscle continuesly to the beat. by using the pecks, trisep,biseps, quads, neck, snapping of the legs, and you can include snapping of the wrist. this is a simple break-down, for more info, holla at my email i'll send you to the electric boogaloos website. funkimojo@aol.com
On Fri Apr 21, 2006 03:16 AM
...... so anyways.....

its a bit worrisome when people insist on linking hip hop to african tribes and such. yes.. we can easily say EVERYTHING came from africa. fossils of the earliest form of the human race came from africa and so yes technically we all came from africa. so then fire came from africa.. jazz, swing, funk, r&b, and rock music came from africa.

so fine then, yes TECHNICALLY hip hop has its ancestry in africa.. but probably about as much as i do (and i'm vietnamese).. it may have branched out of jazz, which came from ragtime, which came from minstrelsy, which arose because the african slaves brought their culture of rhythmic folk music to america.. but i mean.. linking hip hop to that is stretching it just a wee bit in my opinion...

and also, you can't really just ex out all choreographed hip hop from being hip hop... what says choreography doesn't take training or extensive studying. hip hop sits on a foundation of movements and an ideology that can easily be molded into anything, including choreography.

furthermore, popping is increasingly being used in today's hip hop, so that by mainstream it is more associated with missy elliot and omarion than it is by cameo or zapp & roger. so yes if we were still in the 70s and 80s it would be strictly a funkstyle. however, TODAY it is very often danced to hip hop. locking i've seen also incorporated into hip hop, but it hasn't really made a comeback yet. but, i have noticed it in A LOT of choreographed hip hop.

ihop
On Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:39 PM
Well said to the member of the mop tops...

However... I agree with iH0p... people OVEREMPHASIZE the whole thing about "hip-hop is rooted in africa..." blah blah...
Heard it...
still don't agree with it even 30%....

I think ill be doing some research in the relations between:
Bharata Natyam
and
Popping

And I don't like the whole "funkstyles" phrase thing.
Bboying was originally done to SOUL music... so ummm...
I guess from here on out I am renaming all the bboying styles
"Soulstyles".

Invent
I love watching Soulstylists get down.
cool dude
By emza Comments: 20, member since Wed Apr 19, 2006
On Wed May 03, 2006 08:41 AM
Removed by pharmadancer (87219) on 2006-05-06 05:41:17 netspeak
i love hip hop.
do u do hip hop ??

i think its cool
By nyussz Comments: 27, member since Fri Mar 31, 2006
On Wed May 03, 2006 12:10 PM
What u worte was really good. And true. I dance in a studio...mostly locking but we do some popping too. And I do say I dance to hip hop but I dont say i am a hip hop dancer....I dont consider myself one because like u wrote I couldnt dance for hours and not repeat a move. I am in love with the hip hop culture ....well as much as I know about it and im learning more and more form day to day and its getting closer to me day by day.
On Wed May 03, 2006 03:59 PM
just because you can't dance for hours without repeating a move doesn't mean you're not a hip hop dancer... what's that got to do with anything. i dont think any hip hop dancer can dance for hours without repeating a move.. i dont think ANYBODY can do that.
By nyussz Comments: 27, member since Fri Mar 31, 2006
On Fri May 05, 2006 05:19 AM
well obviously not hours but what i ment and what i suppose invent ment was that they dont repeat all their moves. They always do something new and while they dance they dont repeat the same thing with small changes.
By la_trina Comments: 2, member since Fri May 19, 2006
On Fri May 19, 2006 11:03 PM
This is an awesome thread, much props to you for starting it because I feel the same and am trying to educate people more about real hiphop and hiphop/funk styles of dance, especially in Sydney, Australia where I'm from. I got two sites on those topics hiphop.org.au and dancing.net.au and when I teach dance classes, I teach them how to feel and interpret the music as well as the history behind the dance styles/moves that I'm about to show them.

Much love.
Basic Knowledge
By Dwhispers Comments: 1, member since Wed May 31, 2006
On Sat Jun 03, 2006 06:37 PM
I agree with everything that was stated in the sticky note. People get so confused about the different styles of hip hop dancing and what's real and what's fake.
Hip Hop dance styles
By poseman Comments: 2, member since Sat Jul 08, 2006
On Sat Jul 08, 2006 07:29 PM
I enjoyed what you wrote about the Hip Hop styles and I understand where you're coming from.

I grew up in the 70's so called Disco music which was the commercial stuff you heard on the radio.

In the clubs we played FUNK - the soul music to party to, the real music for me. The stuff they never played on the radio and never understood.

I now with my wife follow our daughter around the various Hip Hop events and comps that her crew enter in. I see they call the various dance moves such as Crumping,Break Dancing, B Boys,Popping and locking. Excuse me if I've missed any.

Some dance moves are similar to the 70's style but are called different names.

I agree when you say that the Ballet/Jazz people decided to put together what they call Hip Hop but was not the real thing. We have the same thing here in NZ where my daughter loves Hip Hop. She decided to work with her dance school with their syllbus work for the Hip Hop for 2 years. Unfortunately she found out that Hip Hop is not something you do through your dance school but a form of your own street/party dancing.

She now works with one of the local colleges dance crew who do their own thing. Each indidvidual provides their own style to their Hip Hop. This has also brought about her own individual style that is different to the others but is Hip Hop for her.

We live and learn through our own experiences and that's what makes us who we are.
By ItsAboutPassion Comments: 35, member since Mon Jul 17, 2006
On Thu Jul 20, 2006 01:08 AM
wow! thank you so much for writing this!!! i had no idea about any of this! im really impressed with the background and history of it all!
By Dancer1011 Comments: 23, member since Wed May 30, 2007
On Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:47 PM
Edited by Dancer1011 (180124) on 2007-06-18 23:56:05
I truly feel that "HIP HOP" can not be taught! You either have it or you don't. I do teach hip hop at my studio, however, I do let my dancers know that I will not give them moves that their bodies can not naturally do. I teach some basic "hip Hop" steps and the dances do look very different from my jazz routines. You have to have rhythm to do "hip hop". Having mostly white dancers, I would never try to make them do the things that come natural to my daughter and myself and they thank me for it! Dancers who want to take hip hop, I hope you find a studio that does know the true meaning and doesn't give you Poms routines and call it hip hop! Good Luck to all.
By Dancer1011 Comments: 23, member since Wed May 30, 2007
On Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:50 PM
I do not use 8 cts at my studio for hip hop. I use sound efects & rhythms. It's a feeling, it's like no other style of dance. There may be a double or triple beat that u want to use and u don't count that, u feel it.
Page:
Page 6 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch