Forum: General / Hip Hop / Hip Hop

Page:
Page 7 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
re: Hip-hop Dance Styles: BASIC KNOWLEDGE
By Danceingnight Comments: 4, member since Sat Jan 19, 2008
On Mon Jan 21, 2008 07:08 PM
This is a great post for begginers like me has lots of info.
By Ms_Mel Comments: 244, member since Sun Jan 20, 2008
On Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:05 PM
So I'm curious, if "breaking" and "breakdance" aren't proper terms, why did the New York City Breakers have that name? This would have been early '80s time frame.
By StepChild612 Comments: 8, member since Tue Jan 29, 2008
On Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:40 AM
Peace and Respect to Funkikmojo Moptops/Elite Force. We should meet up sometime for real.

Props to iHop and Invent, still holding it down on this forum huh?

Bboy StepChild (formerly Scorp-1 from Groove Nutz Crew)
Rock Lordz - Minneapolis
On Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:13 PM
Peace and Respect to Brian Footwork Green too, I was reading more and see you're still dropping the knowledge. Word. I'm gonna be in NYC first week in March, Hopefully you'll be around to finally meetup. I'm hoping their will be an HDC during the week if I'm lucky.

One,
StepChild (formerly Scorp-1)
Minneapolis, MN
On Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:25 PM
midnight22 wrote:

Once again, I have seen your dancing. I see that you have an alturistic cause, however you don not dance like an expert on anything. This is like listening to a BBoy talk about the history of Ballet. I am not trying to disrespect you in any way, however I have seen your dancing. :?

Be careful! Invent is wanted in 7 counties for murdering beats and serving fools some nasty treats! Like Hammer, This dude will turn your mutha out! I've seen it with my own eyes back in the day, I'd be afraid of what's up now.
By discoholly Comments: 14, member since Fri Mar 02, 2007
On Tue Feb 12, 2008 01:39 PM
I fully agree with what your saying, freestyle is about the use of all forms of dance to a degree with no restrictions, i would have to ask why they feel that you cant use both styles as its FREESTYLE no set rules, all the competitors i see at competitions use all forms and it looks wicked!
By tresbienmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1104, member since Sun Feb 17, 2008
On Mon Feb 25, 2008 06:46 PM
I agree with the author about real hip-hop, but there is nothing wrong with hip-hop in a studio, and it is real hip-hop, because our studio doesn't do fake hip-hop, and some hip-hop does have 8-counts, so , it's not sloppy on stage. I also take other classes and not just hip-hop, see I take ballet and there is nothing wrong with a ballet dancer in hip-hop, like there is nothing wrong with a lyrical dancer in tap. I take 4 hip-hop classes a week.
By bboy_righty Comments: 2, member since Fri Jul 18, 2008
On Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:36 AM
Ms_Mel wrote:

So I'm curious, if "breaking" and "breakdance" aren't proper terms, why did the New York City Breakers have that name? This would have been early '80s time frame.

Generally, you can get away with saying "breaking" more than you can "breakdancing". I say the former all the time, but never the latter if I'm talking to another b-boy.

B-boying did not begin in the 80's, the 80's was the time period that it all became mainstream. It began in the Bronx, and there was a great sense of pride in the name "b-boy". Many b-boys have mixed feelings about NYC Breakers, Rocksteady Crew, and all the other b-boys that were being seen on TV.

On one hand, the dance was seen as something like a circus act by the mainstream population, and generally still is seen this way. On TV, crews didn't showcase intricate floorwork, which came before powermoves and freezes, and the fact that they were dancing to the music. Instead people saw windmills, headspins, backspins, turtles and freezes, all done not to dance but for the sake of showing off.

However, if it wasn't for these crews and mainstream attention in the 80's, there's a good chance that I wouldn't even know what a b-boy was, and we wouldn't have these powermoves and concepts to build off of. Powermoves have evolved tremendously, but so has toprock and floorwork.

Another thing is that many b-boys do separate b-boys from breakdancers. We see someone who is not a part of the culture and only breaks to show off their moves to others as a breakdancer, because breakdancer is a term coined by MTV and breakdancing was what was seen on MTV. A real b-boy knows and respects the culture, and comes out to jams to battle or cypher or show support. Plus he always dances to the beat.
By ud_thedaancedean Comments: 21, member since Fri Jul 18, 2008
On Fri Jul 18, 2008 02:05 PM
is there any particular counting style in hip hop?
On Fri Jul 18, 2008 02:10 PM
who is the founder of hip hop?
On Fri Jul 18, 2008 02:12 PM
where is the hiphop comes from and who is the founder of hiphop?
On Fri Jul 18, 2008 02:19 PM
is there nay particular clothing style of hiphop?
On Fri Jul 18, 2008 02:23 PM
is there any particular warmup style in hiphop dance?
On Fri Jul 18, 2008 02:30 PM
is there nay best dvd of basic level of hiphop ?
On Fri Jul 18, 2008 02:39 PM
who is the best rapper in hiphop industry?????
On Sat Jul 19, 2008 03:45 AM
b-boying kis the basic level of hiphop dance?
On Sat Jul 19, 2008 03:46 AM
what is requrments in basic level of hiphop dance?
On Sat Jul 19, 2008 02:03 PM
what is different beetween hiphop routines and b-boying?
On Sat Jul 19, 2008 02:07 PM
hiphop routines is correct word to use while on begginer level?
On Sat Jul 26, 2008 08:46 AM
is there any dvd to learn real hiphop for beginner level??
By MissTish Comments: 21, member since Mon Sep 05, 2005
On Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:43 AM
I admire your love of hip hop in all it's forms. breaking, poppin and locking are truly some of the hardest dance forms to master in all that i have come across. I do however challange the range of what you consider "real hip hop," particularly that there is no real hip hop in a dance studio. I am curious as to what your exceptions are?
By dawniedimple Comments: 66, member since Mon Aug 25, 2008
On Sat Oct 11, 2008 09:59 AM
Hi my little girl has just started street dancing she is 8years old.Iam wondering if you could recommend a DVD to help her on her way

Thans Dawn
By dwd34mv Comments: 133, member since Mon Aug 11, 2008
On Thu Dec 11, 2008 07:16 AM
I would like to thank you for this post. I found it at a time that I really needed it. I was recenly hired as a hip-hop instructor at a coservative yet unorganized studio in the Mid-West. I do more of a krump and street hip hop style. When I try to teach my choreography to my high schoolers (who you think would love this since SYTYCD has highlighted krump) they hate it, and have now requested that I do not fill in for their class when their teacher is sick. They also made it openly clear that they dislike my choreography. And the studio owner (not a dancer, a severly overweight woman who took the studio over when the original owner left) is talking about hiring a new teacher that does more "Jazzy-Hip Hop", as she would call it.

I have been so discouraged. I love dancing again, but I feel like if these girls call themselves dancers they should be open to many styles. While I taught a hard popping dance they called it too "Ghetto".

What should I do any help here? I feel like I am being caged here. If they want Jazz take a freaking Jazz class.
By XxBabiChezxX Comments: 39, member since Sat Nov 22, 2008
On Thu Dec 18, 2008 03:33 AM
wow you know a lot about hip hop, well more than me anyway im kind of new to the whole dancing thing i do street and freestyle i believe hip hop is about creating a whole new style or a new world. XxBabiChezxX
By padilladr Comments: 1, member since Fri Dec 19, 2008
On Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:32 PM
Hi,

I'm a writer not a professional dancer though I am a fan of hip-hop styles of dance. I recently wrote an article about how to become a professional hip-hop dancer, but since I am not one myself had to rely on research and common knowledge to write it. I would love to have some professional dancers look the article over and make suggestions for improvement. Or maybe additional insights that would make the article more useful for persons interested in pursuing hip-hop dance as a profession.

The article is here

www.ehow.com . . .

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

I included a link to this site on the article for persons looking for more info.

Sincerely,

Daruth Padilla
Page:
Page 7 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch