Forum: Europe / Europe - General

Going on a trip...but where to go?
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 10, 2005 09:02 AM

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Eastern Europe this summer. Here's our plan of where we're going (and the order we're doing it in), but we don't know what the good places to visit are. We have two days left-over, so we want to spend extra days in places where there's more to see and do, so if anyone has been to any of these places, or is from there, it would be a big help to us!

Berlin, Germany ->
Warsaw, Poland ->
Prague, Czech Republic ->
Bratislava, Slovakia ->
Budapest, Hungary ->
Zagrab, Croatia -> flying back home (England).

Hope you can help!
angelina xx

11 Replies to Going on a trip...but where to go?

re: Going on a trip...but where to go?
By alleycatmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:45 PM
It really depends on what your intrests are. My best advice is to do a googlesearch on tourism and reach city.

However,

Berlin; Brandenburgertor (or Brandenburger Tor? ) and Checkpoint Charlie

Prague; That bridge with all the paintings, The huge clock down town (and get the story behind it and why it stood still for so long) and the small streets around it.

I don't recall going to Warsaw when i was in Poland but they have alot of great things in Krakow, atleast.

I've never been to Zagreb, but i have friends form Croatia who goes to school there, and i think they have alot of interesting concerts and stuff. How about checking out some of that new eastern european vibe music?

Good luck, i hope you have a nice trip.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:48 PM
Oh, I love Croatia...

But I really fell in love with Berlin while I was there. There's an incredible nightlife and some fascinating museums and stuff if you're into that. Check out the Pergammon, they've got the gates of Babylon and stuff. Also look into the Berlin Walks tours- they sound cheesy but they're actually really cool and you see a lot of the city.
On Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:51 AM
Oops, I should have mentioned that we've been to Berlin before, being that we both study German, and last year all we did was Berlin Wall and stuff. So we already know Berlin pretty well.

Thanks for your suggestions though, keep 'em coming!
angelina xx
By nerangie
On Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:30 AM
Hello Angelina! I've been to Prague and Budapest and I found both cities truly beautiful. I found Prague more beautiful than Budapest, but the thing is that I visited both of them in wintertime, so the picture I have in my mind might be different from the thing you 'll probably meet when you get there. But I think a trip like the one you're planning is worth it. Don't forget to visit the clock down town ,the Charle's bridge and the 5-level club which stands nearby (!)in Prague! ;)
By glam
On Fri Feb 25, 2005 03:56 PM
hi.. if you don't mind changing your plans i'd recommend you to go to Krakow instead of Warszawa when you go to Poland... =)
There's more magic in the air in Krakow ;)
By Carabosse
On Mon Feb 28, 2005 03:54 AM
Edited by Carabosse (28624) on 2005-02-28 03:41:51
I can recommend Moscow and St.Petersburg,both friendly and easy to get around.If like me you love anything to do with Imperial Russia you will be in heaven,the architecture is beautiful (gold topped buildings everywhere),the metro is well kept and has art work down there that should be in a museum.....not to mention if it was anywhere else it would probably have been vandalised by now!!
If you get the chance do one of the railway journeys...you can do the Trans-Siberian,Trans-Manchurian or Trans-Mongolion.I have done the first one from Moscow to Vladivostock ( there was some snow when i did the journey,it just added that extra bit if you know what i mean?),considering doing the Trans-Manchurian i.e Moscow to Beging at some point ...not sure when?
By Carabosse
On Tue Mar 01, 2005 09:29 AM
Whoops just noticed that was supposed to be "Bejing",not Beging...just had one of those weeks!!
On Sun Mar 06, 2005 05:22 AM
Wow, I totally forgot I posted this! Thanks for all your advice, we'll definitely take it into consideration when we get there. We couldn't change our plans though, because of something to do with train timetables (I let my boyfriend sort tat bit). And Carabosse, I'm pretty sure that if this trip goes well, we'll consider going on trips to other places like Russia - my boyfriend is really into history, so I think he would love it.

Thanks!
angelina xx
By Gena
On Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:54 PM
If you go to Bratislava, tell me what it is like, that is if you are there before august. I am moving there this summer. For my last two years of school. Should be interesting!
By Suzy_Qmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Mar 19, 2005 03:58 PM
I've been to Budapest and it's such a beautyful city..especially by night. You really have to visit this supermarket or something..it's so cool! and then there's a castle on a hill with a great wiev over Donau and the beautyful parliament building. There's also a nice big park (can't remember the name) an other impressive buildings. There's this huge church..Stephan something...

Why not come to Stockholm too? In Sweden..my country LOL

Have a nice trip

Becka
On Sun Mar 20, 2005 04:49 PM
We would love to go to a lot more places, believe me! However, we only have 2 weeks to go in, because of cost (we're both university students), the fact that we do actually have to go back to university and the Interrail tickets are quite expensive and only cover a certain zone (of about 5 countries for each zone?).

I'm pretty sure that if this trip goes to plan, we'll go on other trips in the future, so don't stop suggesting cities to visit!
angelina xx

ReplySendWatch