Forum: General / Hip Hop / Freestyle

Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3
good info.
By goodhearted Comments: 22, member since Sun May 22, 2005
On Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:25 AM
i just loved the way u explained freestyle. what i knew about freestyle is nothing compared to the things u said. really good information. i'm new on the hip hop dancing but i'm pretty sure i'll be able to learn really fast since dancing is my life...once again good information...lil brasilian
re: freestyle defined
By bajan_hotness07 Comments: 23, member since Sat Jul 30, 2005
On Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:29 PM
hey...that definition of freestyling is really good...free styling is da best because is reflects how you feel inside and no one can ever tell you its wrong...because there are no rules ~*1*~
By devil88 Comments: 84, member since Mon Aug 01, 2005
On Sat Aug 06, 2005 03:16 PM
hi
that is a good way to explain freestyle
luv kia
By Lmama Comments: 6, member since Tue Aug 23, 2005
On Tue Aug 23, 2005 08:41 AM
hip hop is present in freestyling like every other genre of dancing is present -- hip hop only defines a part of freestyle at the same time limiting its impact -- as freestyle enables hip hop's expansion -- freestyle encompasses everything -- some idiot way back when couldn't feel what a freestyler felt so noticing the four basic steps (all dances have variations of 1)sidestep 2)rock step 3)forward step 4)triple step) broke down the freestyler's self expression and organized something he could understand... hip hop describes a culture -- just because its off the top doesn't mean its hip hop -- you can definitely freestyle in hip hop but your placing boundaries around something one cant contain or organize -- especially when its pure freestyle -- from the heart without thought... i can freestyle acapella and you will see music -- have you ever seen music? --well that was a rant to someone's comment-- but you called it dead on like many before i easily confused freestyle as hip hop because it was self expression and flowed off the top until i lost conscious thought of what i was doing and let the music move me -- ill freestyle to anything and make it look good -- only because it feels so good... the real music's within what you hear is only a guide that enables it to be exposed -- its universal -- human nature not a hiphop culture -- so supercalifragilisticespialidocious to that... =0)
By dancer_for_life3 Comments: 11, member since Fri Jan 21, 2005
On Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:31 AM
i like the look of this information i cant wait till i have the time to ead it all. great effort on so much information.
QUESTION!!
By footwork Comments: 463, member since Wed Mar 06, 2002
On Sun Sep 04, 2005 03:23 PM
Edited by footwork (23139) on 2005-09-04 15:27:43
Damon,
Not bad on the info. I like the fact you took time to scholastically try to breakdown something that you seem passionate about. And glad to see you are studying dance. I studied dance in college as well ( even though I was already a pro making money. But, i wanted to see what info they had on urban dance!).
You asked people to guide you in areas or specifics you have not touched on. Well, the information on the mentality of Modern dance. That needs to be worked on. There foundations are stuck heavy in Ballet, and then lightly from other influences. I studied modern dance: Grahm, Dunham, Horton, and even some interpretive modern (which is the modern that more supports the mentality you are saying), but Ballet is there; HEAVILY! Then there are influences from cultural dances, nature, etc.. BUT, of course, you know that every dance takes influences from others. As people take ideas from others. We all learn from one another, this is human nature. As said on this board and many other websites by many dancers. I am not the first, nor will be the last.
My question now is. What is the difference between FREESTYLE and IMPROVISATION?? Which I have asked before ( a while back.). Since the word FREESTYLE is now be considered a STYLE. Because, to say Freestyle to me and manty others; we know it as a kind of music, and there was a dance. Just interested in the difference, between FREESTYLE and IMPROVISATON. Or if they are one in the same, and it's just a play on words. Let me know.

GOD BLESS ALL and KEEP DANCING,

Brian Footwork Green
By AnninhaBrasil Comments: 6, member since Sat Sep 03, 2005
On Fri Sep 09, 2005 01:56 PM
yes, im confused...... cuz some says that freestyle is feel the music, and do movements, impovise..... so it means that u can do what u want and it will be freestyle?!?!? this is my doubt also?!?!? teh difference between freestyle and improvisation?!?!?

and more?!?! Brian, What are Freestyle (style) limits?!?!!?

peace
Well!
On Sat Sep 10, 2005 07:43 AM
Anna,
Having been in my classes I have given this answer before. I will make you search your BRAIN POP for that answer!! LOL!! Remember the BRAIN POPPING TECHNIQUES I barely showed you, and you will SERIOUSLY find the answer. If you don't, then, just email me personally: brifoot71@yahoo.com. That goes for all as well!!

Brian Footwork Green
By AnninhaBrasil Comments: 6, member since Sat Sep 03, 2005
On Sat Sep 10, 2005 08:48 AM
Brian, i think i know the answer but i´m not sure.... talk to u later..... tanx..... ill exercice my Brain popping!!!! :))))
By damon_k Comments: 228, member since Tue Nov 19, 2002
On Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:52 AM
Hey Brian,

Thanks for positive feedback. I thought you might eventually find this post. I haven't been around much lately and haven't been studying either due to moving and it is taking all of my time.
Thanks for you brief info on Modern Dance. It would be nice if you talked about it a little more.
As for freestyle. As you have mentioned before and again in your reply, influences play a huge part in the forming of a dance style. Actually to be frank, I don't consider freestyle a dance style. The way I see it (2nd description I gave in the post), it is of ones interpretation of the music...this is done whilst simultaneously expressing oneself and the music. It is of the self where as a style is an established way or set of moves. Now, as you have said, many people on many websites express these views and way of looking at dance, and I do too to some point. I have danced mostly in solitude for 7 years, barely see a dance clip, and barely go clubbing, and very rarely meet other skilled dancers. However, I become more dynamic, inspired, imaginative and skilled as I go. It seems as though not many really take into concern the weight of the research I try to point out in regards to mind/body etc. I have never had a lesson or tried to mimic anyone, I guess that is why this works for me well.
I hope you understand where I am coming from.
As for freestyle and improvisation, well its just a name for something I am trying to describe that fits well. I am aware that there is a genre of music called freestyle too.

I have to go, at internet cafe and time is almost done.

damon.
Damon!
On Mon Sep 12, 2005 08:41 PM
Well,
That was decently said. My only thought was on the FREESTYLE! Since, it's already used. But since you have an referrance/interests in Modern. Why just not use a word they use that kind describes what you are trying to describe. They call it INTREPRETIVE. That would fit. Which is supposed to just let the body flow and feel what it feels (to or not to music)! The definition is alot larger than that. But, that is the basics.
I am not sure if I have ever seen you dance. I think you said I did; once. If this is the same person I am thinking about. I meet alot of people, and I can easily forget peoples' names. But, not faces. But, if I am sure; I think u sent me an a clip of you in the House section. And I think we met in France one year and you asked me about your dance. I am sure it's one of these. IF this is you, then, I can tell you like I said before, I see your influences. I can even see whom has influenced you from the first time you asked me to watch you, as opposed to the video you sent (that is if this is you!! If it is not you, then, my biggest apologies, and I hope to see you one day soon!!)

Even at a glance, we are influenced. The brain is very mysterious like that.

Brian Footwork Green
Re: sweet dude
By shamrock242004 Comments: 20, member since Tue Sep 27, 2005
On Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:43 PM
I think that is totally awsome how you have the courage just to go out there and dance how you feel have no fear of what people might think of you that is how i am like to i just go to the club and listen to the music and let my body take over. I think that is the coolest feeling in the world and they it is also good way to attract the women to if a guy know how to dance right on that is cool. darcy wayne bauer
By soul_ice Comments: 18, member since Sat Oct 15, 2005
On Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:25 PM
nice explanation of freestyle you explained pretty much everything but there is one thing id like 2 strees. i get sick of some poeple thiking that freestyling, in dance types such as breakin is just like midlessly drooling out moves and that freestyling (in respect to MC) is just talking about girls becose some artists now only talk about girls, freestyling in any aspect of hip hop has to involve you thinking and being smart about what you do. it all has to mean something and you cant just do the same thing over and over agian WHEN you become more experianced with whatever you u freestyle.

P.S for anyone that wants to hear some examples of meaningful lyrics i suggest a guy named "immirtal technique" i herd about him from a friend and his lyrics smart and some of them take you a while to get. HE actually sounds educated!!! :)
By soul_ice Comments: 18, member since Sat Oct 15, 2005
On Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:27 PM
P.S sorry thats immortal technique
good work
By burksburkspatric Comments: 5, member since Tue Nov 15, 2005
On Tue Nov 15, 2005 01:24 PM
hey man thats some good info, i like to dance myself. and im try to learn some mor move on break dancing so that helped.

Thanks.
good info
By crack_n_da_flesh Comments: 8, member since Tue Nov 22, 2005
On Wed Nov 30, 2005 06:33 PM
great post. its nice to find a group of people that look at dance in a different light. not just the movements themselves, but the "soul" of them. Dance is spiritual as much as it is physical.
By Muthu Comments: 23, member since Fri Dec 02, 2005
On Fri Dec 02, 2005 01:54 AM
Very good way to explain freestyle. I didnt know much about freestyle before i read this. Very good thread going on here.

I have done some hip hop from classes that i took at a university. This was more information and thanks.
frestyle
By misM Comments: 2, member since Fri Dec 02, 2005
On Fri Dec 02, 2005 08:58 PM
I really love all the coments an the topic and since I went to school 4 dance and got a BFA in it, it has now become this art that people feel the need to juged on. Dance was first formed 4 religus resons and what ever your body did was ok. it was your way to express feelings. Now dance in all the forms from frestyle to ballet to crunk have been put into a box of what is the right way and the wrong. We have trained our eyes to see what society tells us is cool hot dope or they just look crazy. whose to say that our way of dancing is the right way. people who live in other countries and in the amizon only know the dance they have. No teacher stands in frount of them and says do this. they watch and do it the way they think it is and that is it. Even with some forms like frestyle and now crunk we are saying who looks hot and who isn't these are forms of pure raw insperation that we kill in people every time we put them down.A battle is ment to be a positive way to strangthen the mential and phisical abilitys of iner creativity. now it feels more about showing the other person up and making them feel like they aren't creative anough. Insted a battle should remind them that what they have to offer is great and in the right direction.and each level they reach is just whair they should b 4 right now and not to feel less of and artist or dance 4 not wining. Some people would say that is 2 idealistic but what is better 4 u, to beat yourself up inside 4 not being the best and forgetting what got u into dance in the first place, or loving the way u move in your own original way and showing the overwelming feeling that dance can give u and the god given gift of imagination 4 movement.
By Mickii Comments: 27, member since Sun Nov 06, 2005
On Sat Dec 10, 2005 07:17 AM
mmh interesting!
By HDCNYPremium member Comments: 80, member since Thu Apr 28, 2005
On Fri Dec 16, 2005 09:39 AM
I agree with Brian Green. The fact that you took the time to scholastically break down freestyle is HIGHLY commendable. The fact that you take hip-hop so seriously is a testament to where we should all be taking our art-form.

I want you to know that your thread is required reading for our conservatory students in addition to our regular curriculum. You have many friends here.

Keep up the excellent work and keep conversing with people like Footwork, Bladedance and Invent as well as studying your craft. You can definitely make an impact on hip-hop dance.

Afton Seekins
Executive Director
The Hip-Hop Dance Conservatory
www.hdcny.org
(800)697-4698
By damon_k Comments: 228, member since Tue Nov 19, 2002
On Sun Dec 25, 2005 05:58 AM
Hello everyone. Thank you so much for your responses.
----
To Brian Green, I am sorry I haven't replied for such a long long time...this year has been very transitional for me as having just moved from Japan to New Zealand and building a new life and recording studio.
Thank you for your call on Interpretive. I feel Interpretation is a part of freestyling. As you has commented before...learnt pathways and phrasing play quite a huge part so I don't think we could constantly interpret...I think our interpretations really color our underlying and developed movement pathways, which therefore pave a pathway in our direction to greater and deeper play with dance.

The fact that we are open and interpretive doesn't necessarily mean we are completely free to interpret in any fashion (as if starting from square one) as we have already molded ourselves (our dance personality) to considerable degree (like all our movements in life).

I tend to stick with the term freestyle because I am (mostly at a sub-conscious level) chosing forms and phrases learnt and what suit whilst trying to refine my sensitivity to the chosen music through interpretation. Just like someone who freestyles (in the traditional meaning) by chosing learnt forms, I am choosing my own learnt forms, its just that mine are developed from time spent with the specific music and focus on the music, not time spent on learning moves to be applied to any music. I am still freestyling.

I wrote a few times using rap as a good comparison. Rappers freestyling can go off the top of there head but will have certain lines, phrases and groups of rhyming words yet if they constantly keep themselves open to inspiration and trying new ideas they can refine their skill.

I haven't met you, although I would like to some day. I asked you once about going to France, but I never went. How are your projects going anyway?
----
To misM,
Your comments were wonderful. I still am caught up with image. It is so hard to ignore. Unfortunately having that mindset is so detrimental to the release of real feeling because the brain is inhibited with fear and anxiety. I often find that when I record myself dancing, I don't dance anywhere near as well as without that pressure. Too caught up and concerned about apperance, performance and the minds of others. Our society is harsh, but really it is just us afraid of being accepted. I still have a tough time sometimes depending on the circumstance. When the atmosphere of a party is just right and there is a feeling of love and oneness it is no problem, but putting yourself out there on film says a statement in its self and unfortunately you are on the defensive in that position until you prove yourself...although you don't have to prove anything to anyone except yourself. People putting themselves out there have to battle with these things just to exert true feeling. Its tough on a person who is just trying to live a life thats full. keep dancing.
----
To soul_ice,
Its a balance of science and art. You have to understand the structure of music and have to apply emotion through control. Its a balancing act fundamentally...then you start to discover how deep the water actually is. I think as you refine yourself, you start to see the meaning behind what your direction is and what your message is. If you talk about girls, you are simply stuck at a primary stage (such like the needs of man with survival, food, and sex coming first). As you develop, you start to nuture other higher less salient needs. Those that have satified their own primordial needs start to understand the needs of society and will delve into enlightening others through their art. Useful messages have more impact because they reach deeper and solve more needs of not only the artist but the society.

I have listened to Immortal Technique. He is very knowledgeable...Although he is helping people become aware, I think his attitude is bad. It reminds me of a girl I used to know who tried so hard to avoid fashion that she would go to extremes to wear clothing that was not fashionable, all the while not realising that she was still controlled by fashion due to her guarded nature against it. Being angry about the state of things won't solve anything. That's where we could get into a huge debate about the direction of Hip-hop...let's leave that for the hip-hop advanced forum ;)
----
To HDCNY,
I was blown away by your reply. I had kind of lost interest in furthering my study and writing on dance.net, but after reading your reply and you saying your students read my post I feel I should continue. Maybe its about time I wrote a new post.
----

Right now I am making a dance DVD mixtape. I won't go into detail, but I will be dancing to groups of songs/tracks from different genres including rnb, hh, deep house, breakbeat, 80s pop, rock and misc. I will also talk on some of the different aspects of dance I touched on in this post.

I will use it as a promotional tool for freestyle and try to open people upto freestyle and guide and inspire people to find themselves in dance and really enjoy movement through music in a most natural way.
By Jiffy Comments: 27, member since Fri Dec 30, 2005
On Sat Jan 07, 2006 05:58 PM
Thank you for taking the time to type all that. I have never been in this part of the forum before but I'm glad I did now even if it aws just to read your post.

Jiffy :)
By Jiffy Comments: 27, member since Fri Dec 30, 2005
On Sat Jan 07, 2006 06:07 PM
Oh, did you ever get that web site up and running?

I would be really interested to read your thoughts further.

Jiffy
Dancing is for lovers
By hiphop4lyfe Comments: 60, member since Sun Jan 22, 2006
On Sun Jan 22, 2006 08:20 PM
One of my favorite parts of hip hop dance has to be freestyling. It is such an inventive and loose style of dancing. Freestyle allows me to use my body any way I feel it needs to be used. Like damon_k said it is using the body in connection with the mind. I find that when I relax and allow myself to flow with the music it becomes easier to be more inventive with freestyling than if you become tense, nervous, or anxious. Even at dances when you love to dance, show the people that dancing is more than grinding. It is an art form of expression beyond sexual means. Once I learned that it allowed me to further my improvement in dance.
By wacky_NY Comments: 291, member since Mon Sep 16, 2002
On Mon Jan 23, 2006 05:22 PM
one thing about freestyling that intrigues me the most is how much it allows me to learn about my body. we as humans are capable of more than we think. it just requires effort and knowledge. if you find a boundary in life, break it. a good friend of mine used to tell me all the time to break a system, that the only way you will learn is by destroying something and rebuilding it. this is reflected in society as well if you look at history. anywayz, what im getting at is dont let those boundaries stop you, to get somewhere you gotta move. so... 'keep it movin, yeah yeah to the K.I.M.'
Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch