Forum: General / Hip Hop / Locking

ticking???? i wasn't sure if i should post it here or not, but please read even if im wrong...
By tappingangel
On Thu Jan 13, 2005 09:39 AM

okay, i've been bboying for a few years now..ive got my stuff down, except ticking!!!!! ive almost got it, but are there any tips yall can give me about making it look better? im not exactly up to speed with it and it looks kinda bad..anything would help, thank yall for your time
~Angel

9 Replies to ticking???? i wasn't sure if i should post it here or not, but please read even if im wrong...

re: ticking???? i wasn't sure if i should post it here or not, but please read even if im wron
By Jahz
On Thu Jan 13, 2005 02:14 PM
Um, ticking would belong in the popping section.

How's your hits? Try to get in and get out of your hits as fast as possible. I'm not sure how to describe doing that, but... try. :P

Also, strobing helps, as it gives you an idea of how fast you should be ticking.
re: ticking???? i wasn't sure if i should post it here or not, but please read even if im wron
By tappingangel
On Thu Jan 13, 2005 05:31 PM
haha..thanks, and sorry for posting here!!!!! i'll try your advice and see what happens....thanks again!!!
By iH0p
On Thu Jan 13, 2005 05:38 PM
hey!!! what a wonderful question!!! ^_^

you wanna be able to relax your muscles just as fast as you can hit them. you also wanna really work on isolating your muscles, too, like being able to hit your triceps, biceps, and forearms separately.

ihop
By tappingangel
On Fri Jan 14, 2005 06:18 PM
awesome!!! im gettin it down guys....thanks so much!!!! hope this helps others too... :P
old school videos from the 80's
By jigsawpuzzel
On Tue Jan 25, 2005 03:15 AM
Edited by soliloquy (28370) on 2005-03-05 23:13:27 When you type the word "you" without the y and the o, the u gets lonely. Please type out full words in the future.
Yes, you can watch ol school videos from the 80's that where you can find ticking break dance and all that stuff,cause that's where if came from. You can watch 90's and the current videos but best take back to 80's videos.
Use a metronome? (karma: 1)
By Boogiewalker34
On Sat Jan 29, 2005 03:11 AM
Wassup?

Something I've contemplated doing to practice ticking/time walking is to use a digital metronome instead of actual music. The reason I would do this would be to help me actually focus on the isolation of my body to a ticking-type sound in time.

Sometimes, I find that music can be a slight distraction while I'm practicing my technique. Partly I think that this is because our bodies and minds respond to music in a different, more incorporated way than they do to a simple tempo measured by a beeping or ticking sound. The sparseness of a digital metronome (available at any musical instrument dealer/music store) would allow you to really focus more exclusively on your isolated movements. PLUS you can manipulate the metronome's tempo so you can practice something at 60 beats per minute whereas perhaps most of the songs you'd be dancing to would be more around 90-100 beats per minute (or maybe faster). The only way you could do this with recorded music would be if your CD player or turntables have a pitch-shifter, so that you can pitch a beat up (faster) or down (slower). Most non-commercial CD players do NOT have this feature...

Also, most metronomes allow you to subdivide a beat (quarter notes, eighth notes, triplets, 16th notes); a more subdivided beat allows you to practice smaller and smaller ticks.

Perhaps this doesn't help you at all, but I know that I can't always practice to music because it's hard to really focus on an isolated motion of my body b/c the music just envelops all of me. Anyway, I hope your ticks look good regardless...

peace,

G-boogie, the boogiewalker
By tappingangel
On Sat Jan 29, 2005 04:58 PM
wow..thats an awesome idea.....ill hafta use it during my classes too...i never thought to try it without the music as a whole...thanks!!!!!! hopefully this helps out more than juss me tho....
~Angel
By Jahz
On Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:59 PM
Hey boogiewalker... Where would one get such a device (aside from my idea of stealing it from the band teacher...)?!?
Where to get metronomes... (karma: 1)
By Boogiewalker34
On Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:39 PM
Well, you can find metronomes (usually) at any music store that carries musical instruments. So, don't steal your band teacher's (which, if it was like my band director's was in HS, probably weighs about 30 pounds and is a big metallic rectangle...), but do ask your band director where the closest local music shop is.

Also, if nothing else, try large guitar store chains, like Guitar Center or Sam Ash Music. Besides that, look on the ineternet.

I use an S-series Metronome (you know, the company that probably makes all the valve grease/oil you use if your a brass instrumentalist); it's about the size of a credit card, has a range from 35-220 beats per minute, and can subdivide the beat into eighth, triplet eighths and sixteenth notes. I think it was about 12-ish dollars when I bought it, but that was YEARS ago, so I dunno what it might cost now...

Ok, hope that helps...

peace,

G-boogie, the boogiewalker...

ReplySendWatch