Forum: General / Hip Hop / Breaking

Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3
Breaking
The breaking down of bboy/bgirl moves tutorial (karma: 11)
By Keitsumember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 100, member since Tue Jan 04, 2005
On Wed Jan 19, 2005 01:19 PM
Made sticky by MIClogger (28613) on 2005-03-12 13:35:01 I'd recommend a few more paragraph breaks next time, but good job! :)

6 Step ^_^

For counter-clockwise six-steps, start from a push-up position with your legs spread.

1) Lift your RIGHT arm, and move your LEFT leg through so it's in front of your RIGHT leg. 2) Move your RIGHT leg so that your RIGHT foot is BEHIND the LEFT foot (your legs will be crossed LEFT over RIGHT). 3) Move your LEFT foot in a small arc so your legs are uncrossed. At the same time switch your hands (pick the LEFT one up, and put the RIGHT one down. 4) Extend your RIGHT leg and sweep it around (wide) in a counter-clockwise arc so that your LEFT foot ends up covered by your RIGHT knee joint and your RIGHT foot is almost touching your butt (NOTE: Steps 3 and 4 shoud be done in quick succession). 5) Put your LEFT hand back down on the ground, and move your LEFT leg back to where it was in the push-up position. 6) Move your RIGHT leg back to where it was in the push-up position, and you find yourself back at the beginning. Now, go back to step one, and repeat.

Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tRnTrEnZoR/Dance/SixStep.gif'

After you get the hang of a normal 6 step try to improvise and vary it some. Good luck ^_^

Windmill ^_^

Sit down on the floor with your torso and your RIGHT leg at a 90 degree angle with your LEFT leg bent at the knee so your left knee points straight up and your left foot is flat on the floor. Now place your right palm on the floor to the right of you and slightly behind you and lean and twist your upper body to the right, going towards the floor (bending your right arm altogether) to where your right shoulder and right/front of your face are almost touching the ground. Your right leg should still be straight, and your left leg bent. Now, a CRUCIAL move, you are going to "stab" your LEFT elbow into your stomach, between your navel and your left hip-bone, closer to your hip-bone. This is SO important, because your left arm is going to support all your weight. Now, twisting and leaning, stabbing your elbow, put your LEFT palm flat on the floor with your fingers pointing to your left. At this point you can visualize how your left arm will support your weight. Next, the one, two, three kick. At this point you should be leaning to your right, with the frontal part of your upper body ALMOST facing the floor, and very close to the floor, with yor left arm ready to catch all your weight. ( Elbow in belly!) O.K. Your LEFT leg, which is still bent, is going to be kick ONE, your RIGHT leg kick TWO and your LEFT leg kick THREE. During this sequence, your body weight goes to your left arm. Now kind of finish turning your lower body over to where you are practically horizontal to the floor while KICKING your LEFT (bent) leg up into the sky (about 4 feet or so if you're average size) while pushing off HARD with your RIGHT foot (your STRAIGHT leg) (LEFT elbow in belly) Kick two-Kick your RIGHT leg (outstretched) HARD to your RIGHT (your legs will be OPENING)At this point(in full motion!) you should be facing the floor with your legs open and your bodyweight on your LEFT arm (elbow in belly!). Kick THREE-this is where you develop your first bruises!-During kick three, a lot of things happen at the same time. KICK your LEFT leg HARD to your RIGHT, going UNDER your right leg. Your legs should still be open, with your right leg "circling" (imagine your legs are a drawing compass and your pelvis the pivot) AT THE SAME TIME of this kick, your entire body needs to roll onto your LEFT side, BUT your left upper body only should touch the floor (not your hips or legs!)This means, on kick three, your LEFT shoulder should touch (Hit?) the ground right about where your LEFT fingers are (I crushed mine several times) Now you should be rolling onto your back, of course your left arm no l onger supporting your weight. At this point, I STRONGLY urge you to pull your legs in and do a BACKSPIN. Many veteran will tell you the same. The reason being you should be able to do what I've already described with relative ease before moving on. But when you're ready... O.K. Once you've got the previous down, do the following: After kick THREE, you roll onto your UPPER back and quickly roll over your RIGHT shoulder to where you are going to face the floor again. At the same time, though, your RIGHT leg will be KICKING "Backwards and to your right". Just remember the pivot and the compass thing. As you are turning to face the floor, quickly STAB your LEFT elbow into your belly, just as before, because your left hand will have to support you. ( You know the routine). You are now at the most difficult phase of this deal. Linking them, when you stab your elbow put all your weight into it. As your legs come around, you will most likely hit your LEFT foot on the floor and get pissed because you can't get past there. Never to fear! Learn by "PAUSING" your windmills. When your left foot hits, just use it (LEFT FOOT) to push upward and OH!, you're back to KICK ONE with that push upward! Proceed to kick two and three and so forth, and when you come around again and your left foot hits the floor. Just keep going ^_^

Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tRnTrEnZoR/Dance/Windmill.gif'

Here in this you can either start up like I do, or you start off on your back of course.

There are variations of the windmill especially ones with using your hands and not using your hands, try to get good with both.

Flare ^_^

These instructions will be for flarin' counter-clockwise. If you have room, start out with your legs together (or pretty close), then take a jump step to your left and land with your left leg slightly behind your right one (your legs are spread now). While doing this, swing your arms so that your left arm is extended in the air in front of you and your right arm is down behind you (almost like John Travolta's Stayin' Alive stance) (your body must be slightly twisted to do this). *Then kick your left leg low to the ground behind you, and just before your left leg is about to sweep out your right ankle, jump high with your right leg as high as possible (sounds stupid, but try to kick your face) (Note: I've seen some b-boys actually kick their right leg and I used to do it to, but it hurts after a while).
While kickin' your left leg behind you, you should swing your arms around so that your left arm touches the ground (keep it pretty close to your body so that your body can have leverage) and your right arm is now up in the air above your head (Note: all your weight will now be on your left arm). Now after your left leg goes under your right leg, it'll be in front of you. Now, you also have to put your right arm down parallel to your left one (about shoulder width apart). Both legs are now in front of you with your weight supported on your arms. Now, you must lift your left arm and left leg (lift your left leg very high, almost kickin' the side of your head) at the same time so that you can bring your right leg under your left one. (Note: all your weight is now restin' on your right arm). Now, as both legs go behind you, you must put your left hand down so that all your weight is restin' on your hands (you're in a semi-handstand position with your legs spread behind you).
To go around again for another rotation, just pick up your right arm so that all your weight is resting on your left arm, and then swing your left leg under very quickly with your right leg high in the air again. Repeat the instructions stated.
The above method is simply used to gain momentum because the key to flarin' continuously is momentum (it's a plus if you have madd abdominal and upper body muscles), but there are different ways of gainin' momentum.
If you have little room, you can get into a flare by standin' straight with your legs together. You then swing your left leg in front of your right leg and then swing it back out slightly behind your right one (like in the above instructions).Then repeat again the whole process again. You might have better luck with a mini flare at first which is just one time around and then stopping or going into another move.

Image hotlink - 'http://photobucket.com/albums/v441/tRnTrEnZoR/Dance/th_Flare.gif'

Important thigns to keep in mind: Never drink gasoline before bboying/bgirling otherwise you will exlpode. Always have your legs as straight as possible with toes pointed, and keep your legs spread apart. Also Your hip movement is important like in every dance move. Keep those hips moving.

Airtracks ^_^

First of all keep in mind there are many ways of doing airtracks and also it is dangerous and hard to get down at first. Please don't die on me or drink gasoline before attempting it.

Start as if you're going to do windmills (standing or kneeling), and make sure your body's angle stays between horizontal and about 45 degrees. Don't ever let your body get vertical (you'll land on your head). Put your right hand down first, then your left hand, while your legs do a windmill motion. Your left leg is going to kick up behind you first, then your right leg, and then your left leg is going to kick around and over your right leg in a circular motion. Your legs are split at all times. Just as your left leg swings over the right, you let go of the ground with your right hand, while your left hand stays put for a few micro seconds more. It's important to look over your right shoulder because you have to be able to see the ground after you let go and before you land.
During these microseconds, kick your right leg under your left leg (remember, your left leg kicked over your right leg first) and wait on your left hand until your body spins as far as it possibly can, then let go of the ground with your left hand. If that seemed too complicated, then simply visualize the motions of a windmill, only your body is about two feet above the ground, and remember to let go of the ground one hand at a time, first with the right and then with the left. You are now airborne, but only for another few microseconds. After you let go with your left hand and are in the air, try to "catch" the ground with your right hand first and then your left hand in rapid succession, and try to keep your legs moving in a windmill motion (and make sure you can see the ground).
Right here is where it gets dangerous. If you don't whip your legs hard enough, or you don't catch the g round quick enough, or both, you are going to land on your shoulder, hip, head, or all three. If you don't catch the ground at all, you'll land on your chest and maybe your face. If you overspin, you'll land flat on your back, knocking the wind out of you, or worse, you'll land on your hip and cause long term damage. However, if you do everything right and you keep a continuous motion with your legs, and if you catch the ground immediately after you let go, then you should spin right into windmills (your foot or feet may hit the floor though, which is why you should spin at an angle instead of horizontally).
It's perfectly alright to land on your hands and feet at first, but the goal is to go into windmills out of it. Just pretend you're going to start a windmill from standing up, but you do a windmill in the air on the way down to the floor. Here's another (much easier) way: instead of launching off one hand at a time, push off with both hands and land on both hands, while using the same lower body technique. Or you can do a drilled air track: push off with both hands, and instead of swinging your legs like a windmill, close them and spin as fast as you can.

Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/tRnTrEnZoR/Dance/Airtracks.gif'

Turtles ^_^

Facing downwards, elbows are bent and tucked under the body at the hips. Legs are bent and back is straight. Only the hands touch the ground. Init iate spin by rocking to one side, transferring all weight to one hand. Move the other hand in a counter-clockwise arc about 45 degrees, place it on the ground, and then shift weight to that hand. Move the other hand and then shift your weight to it. Conti nue movement of hands and shifting of body weight to keep spinning. I can't say to much about it really its all about strength here pretty much, to get it I reccomend tons of pushups and one handed pushups and one handed clap pushups (weeee) and other variations.

Since I have no gif image to share with this one I reccomend you to go to

hem.spray.se . . .

I can guarantee you that you will find all the videos you ever wanted here to see individual moves. So if you didn't like a video above you can always go to this site to see a video for more visual references.

Some things you should do is always try to visualize yourself doing these moves. By doing this you are not only motiviating yourself to learn them but your mind and your whole body is processing it as well. When you are doing the moves do the same thing, think of yourself doing the move while doing the move.

Anyways I hope you enjoy this, however I may post more later if I can edit... not sure since its my first made thread. But enjoy please ^_^

55 Replies to The breaking down of bboy/bgirl moves tutorial

nice
By shastacola Comments: 36, member since Wed Feb 02, 2005
On Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:56 AM
I really like what you did. I am a girl trying to get into break dancing. I appreciate that info. thanks
re: The breaking down of bboy/bgirl moves tutorial
By Cina85member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 121, member since Sun Oct 24, 2004
On Wed Feb 09, 2005 03:34 PM
It was cool of you to share info like that....
By ymidisturbed Comments: 1, member since Sat Feb 22, 2003
On Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:10 PM
Thanks man. thats some great info. That little gif is great too!
By luv_dance_luv Comments: 51, member since Mon Sep 13, 2004
On Wed Mar 09, 2005 01:05 AM
Hey thanks for that great info... actually I haven't finished reading yet. LOL. But I am.

Thank you!
luv_dance_luv
By xtheironmaidenxmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1652, member since Wed Jul 21, 2004
On Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:14 AM
Brilliant Tutorial! It would make a great sticky! I've moded the mods to suggest it!!

Love
Sarah xXx
re: The breaking down of bboy/bgirl moves tutorial (karma: 1)
By Keitsumember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 100, member since Tue Jan 04, 2005
On Sun Mar 13, 2005 07:02 PM
Sorry guys, I haven't been here in a while due to school and being busy. I see its a sticky one too ^_^ so happy haha

I can't believe I forgot a tutorial of one of the most important moves.

Baby Freeze -(Definetly needed to get some moves like the windmill down)

Take the ends of your palms and put them together and pretend you have a ball between your two hands. Take the left arm and jam your left elbow it into your own stomach maintaining the same hand position. Then take your right hand out and away from the left hand. It should be no more then three hands away from your left hand though. Next you are going to be using your head ( Basically its a tripod once you use your head, like videocameras or cameras have tripods to hold them up) Your head will be the third addition. If you are using your left arm as the power arm (the one jammed in your stomach) then you will point your head to the right preferably (At least that is more comfortable for me) I suppose you could go the other way as well. Then what you will be doing is balancing on your arms and your head, so lift up your legs.

From here you can do several things with your legs of course, you can spread them out, twist, and all sorts of various formations.

Extra Advice and Help

1. If you are new at bboying or bgirling this is definetly a basic move that you need to know. Also it may seem scary to use your head at first, just take it slow and in case you seem to have a weak neck, make sure you strecth out your neck and warm up first. Just take it slowly get used to the feel, See how long you can hold the baby freeze, after you are comfortable start some variations.

I'll write some more later.
By iH0p Comments: 562, member since Wed Aug 04, 2004
On Sun Mar 13, 2005 09:03 PM
awesome info Keitsu! very cool of you to take time to break down those moves.

one thing i wanna add on to the baby freeze portion: it's very important to balance your weight. a lot of people think the most important thing is upperbody strength, but really what's even more important is knowing how to evenly distribute your weight to hold yourself in a baby freeze.

iH0p
Thank you!
By BBChelz Comments: 23, member since Thu Mar 17, 2005
On Thu Mar 17, 2005 02:39 PM
Thank you so much for this awesome information. I have been trying for a long time to find instructions that make sense to me and these have done it...i am actually going to print them out and get these moves down. THANKS!
By eswing Comments: 9, member since Sat Mar 19, 2005
On Mon Mar 21, 2005 06:36 PM
Removed by soliloquy (28370) on 2005-04-15 06:44:19 Netslang.
hey these tips r awesome, but how do u keep balance? everytime i try this none of the weight is goin to my head, so my arm is doin all the supporting. how far do u adjust ur arms?
By iH0p Comments: 562, member since Wed Aug 04, 2004
On Mon Mar 21, 2005 07:09 PM
if your head isn't doing any supporting that means you need to bring the arm supporting your stomache down a bit. the elbow/bicep should be supporting you around your abs (sometimes it's different for different people, so just keep adjusting til you feel best supported) but make sure that arm makes a straight 90 degree angle with the floor, so it shouldn't be slanted at all. that's key.

ihop
By eswing Comments: 9, member since Sat Mar 19, 2005
On Tue Mar 22, 2005 06:33 PM
Removed by soliloquy (28370) on 2005-03-23 05:25:38 Netslang. Please type out full words in the future.
sweet. thanks dude. ok now that i got that, how do u scizzor without losing ur balance? Is it also supposed 2 b very uncomfortable to stay in a babyfreeze?
Nice
By bboy_anarchy Comments: 68, member since Mon Dec 27, 2004
On Mon Apr 04, 2005 01:10 AM
Nice post, good for the new breakerz. Props.

Peace.
CLOOKY CLOO YA'LLL
By esanegralinda Comments: 3, member since Mon Jan 14, 2002
On Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:23 PM
YUP YUP YUP ITS ME AGAIN YO ALL MY PEOPLES IN THE HOUSE YEAH YEAH YEAH LOL
AND IT DONT STOP
By esanegralinda Comments: 3, member since Mon Jan 14, 2002
On Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:24 PM
I KNOW I SOUND LIKE A CRAZY MANIAC NUT I NEED TO POST 5 MORE COMMENTS TO BECOME A FULL MAMBER SO SORRY FOR THE INCONVIENINCE LOL
Tnx
By girly88 Comments: 21, member since Wed Nov 17, 2004
On Fri Apr 15, 2005 02:41 AM
Edited by girly88 (113417) on 2005-04-15 02:29:15 A comment for a full membership..
Nice tutorial! It's so mutch help... :D Cool "videos"... ;)
By Lady_PinkZ Comments: 81, member since Sun Apr 03, 2005
On Fri Apr 22, 2005 05:21 PM
da was dope thankz for takin time out to do all daa big up to ketisu?
By acxita Comments: 63, member since Wed Mar 30, 2005
On Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:02 PM
Wow. The tutorial is pretty freaken nice! I'm really interested in learning to break, but I don't have any arm strength... are there some exercises I can do without looking manly? Or do I just do the moves and eventually build the muscles I need?

Either way, I would like to keep my femininity... does anyone think that breaking will mess with that?
By Lady_PinkZ Comments: 81, member since Sun Apr 03, 2005
On Sun May 01, 2005 09:09 AM
yeah great post im trying to get into breaking seems hard but aload of fun any tips on warming up?
Breakdance is cool
By CoolAid Comments: 13, member since Fri May 06, 2005
On Fri May 06, 2005 02:48 PM
thanx man !
Breakdance is cool
By CoolAid Comments: 13, member since Fri May 06, 2005
On Fri May 06, 2005 02:51 PM
thanx man ! very well written, i think it will be of much use to many....:) good jobb..
Cool
By grace_20dancer Comments: 64, member since Thu May 12, 2005
On Mon May 23, 2005 10:59 AM
That's tight! I feel like breaking now! cool video.
By eira Comments: 179, member since Tue Mar 15, 2005
On Wed May 25, 2005 04:11 AM
i think break dancing is cool and needs a lot of skill
By J_Dance_Wit_Me Comments: 21, member since Sat May 21, 2005
On Wed May 25, 2005 09:39 AM
cheerz for that its really helpful!! i was just gonna ask sum1 to help me know what some of the moves are so thanks!!
XxX J
By DiTzIeDaNcEr132 Comments: 21, member since Fri Jun 03, 2005
On Fri Jun 03, 2005 03:10 PM
theres alot of info there.. i rele think its cool that your sharing how to do certain moves with the people on this site.. me and a couple of my friends now know how to do both those moves.. its also cool how you added a lil humor in there
Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch