Forum: General / Hip Hop / Breaking

Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3
re: The breaking down of bboy/bgirl moves tutorial
By RachelDancer Comments: 34, member since Mon May 16, 2005
On Mon Jun 13, 2005 01:42 PM
That's awesome, thanks a bunch! I just went to a competition about two months ago where we had a popin' and lockin' workshop... harder than it looks!
By x___moo___x Comments: 120, member since Fri Apr 15, 2005
On Thu Jun 16, 2005 02:28 PM
Removed by glitterfairy (42646) on 2005-07-01 04:12:46 netspeak
aww kwl thanks am gonna try tht

arhhhh

lolz joke thtz kwl :D xxxxx
By smiley1 Comments: 76, member since Fri Jun 17, 2005
On Fri Jun 24, 2005 01:54 PM
hi guys!
wow thank you so so so much for putting up that tutorial! Ive learned so much and cant wait for a battle so i can show off!
thanks again
lots of love
smiley1
By xXxcazzxXx Comments: 25, member since Fri Oct 29, 2004
On Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:25 PM
wel that looks really hard and really good.im a girl and would love do be able to but id probly hurt my self so i better not lol.i think ill stick to my disco to be honest.

love caroline x x x
By brikini21 Comments: 107, member since Tue Jun 21, 2005
On Mon Jun 27, 2005 05:03 PM
Don't worry about your femininity too much girl. Tone and tough is where its at. It'd take an awful lot of weight lifting to bulk you up to the point of looking "manly" anyway.
By danceenthusiast Comments: 16, member since Sat Jun 25, 2005
On Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:00 PM
Thanks so much! this really was an awesome post. I'm still working on freezes. :/ ... and handstands. ah well.
By dance_lova Comments: 264, member since Sat Jun 25, 2005
On Tue Jul 12, 2005 07:30 PM
I really liked all the pics and the info you gave. I went to that site and looked at some more moves and I wanna try n do some. Thanks!
The breaking down of bboy/bgirl moves tutorial
By BGiRLViCiOUS Comments: 20, member since Thu Jul 28, 2005
On Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:14 PM
VERY GO0D TUTORiAL.. iT WAS ALOTTA HELP.. THANKS MUCH!
By hip_hop89 Comments: 20, member since Fri Jul 15, 2005
On Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:48 PM
very helpful post.
Thank you for posting it.
KEEP IT UP!

keep dancing ~~~ hip-hop89
By tapmonkey19 Comments: 56, member since Sat Jul 23, 2005
On Sat Aug 13, 2005 05:04 PM
what bout a six step in jazz can you tell me that...lol...nice lil pics!:)
By fili_ballerina29 Comments: 50, member since Sat Jan 15, 2005
On Thu Aug 18, 2005 06:44 PM
Awesome infomation! I'll get all of my asian crew to look that up. Hey your asian right?
Cool
By Lorianne Comments: 10, member since Thu Sep 22, 2005
On Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:50 AM
That post was awesome! I loved the videos. I am a girl who would love to get into breaking, but was never sure quite where to start. I'm gonna try out some a deez moves! Thanks!
By tehgekoPremium member Comments: 282, member since Sun Nov 20, 2005
On Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:44 AM
Thanks for the tutorial for these moves! I think I'm gonna go and try then now haha. I might fall but hey, no pain no gain, right?
By danceworks3220Premium member Comments: 179, member since Mon Dec 05, 2005
On Sat Dec 10, 2005 07:42 PM
Ok problem i cant seem to balance without my shoulder touching the ground, oh yeah and the whole elbow in the stomach thing, yeah my boobs get in the way. If you cant tell IVE NEVER DONE ANY OF THIS BEFORE! HELP!!!! What am i doing wrong
By danceworks3220Premium member Comments: 179, member since Mon Dec 05, 2005
On Sat Dec 10, 2005 07:45 PM
forgot to tell you i was trying a baby freeze.
re: The breaking down of bboy/bgirl moves tutorial (karma: 1)
By Peleke Comments: 11, member since Wed Dec 21, 2005
On Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:46 AM
Edited by Peleke (147946) on 2005-12-21 11:50:00 Forgot to add something...
Edited by Peleke (147946) on 2005-12-21 11:51:36
That depends on what part of ur stomach you're "stabbing", and what arm you're using. Try not to stab in the middle of your stomach, it impairs breathing, and if you can't breathe in this freeze, you obviously won't be able to hold it long. It is VERY important, because when doing windmills (which I cant do yet, I just understand the physics of them) you need to stab your elbow into your stomach WHILE you're rolling. Its not as hard as it may sound, but it sure isnt easy, and thats why you need to fin the sweetspot that you stab. Anyway, I also have some bboying FAQ.

Q. Why can't I call it breakdancing?
A. Breakdancing is a media term used to represent "Boys who dance to the break", but ironically enough, the media doesnt care about the dancing part of it. The proper name for the dance is Bboying-a Bboy is a boy who dance, a Bgirl is a girl who dances.

Q. Do I need a lot of strength to spin on one hand (like in handglides)?
A. Not really, I'm overweight and I can hold myself up for more then 10 seconds in a baby freeze and can spin in handglides/handspins.

Q. What are the different moves classified as?
A/ Uhh, I didnt erally know how to word that question lol. Things like the Six-Step, Three-Step, Four Step etc. are considered footwork, because you're mainly moving your feet around your body in different patterns. The footwork section of bboying is the part where you can really express style. It is also known as floorworl by a few inexpereinced bboys/bgirls, but I personally find this inappropriate, becasue, if that was the title, windmills, sis steps, flares, etc. etc. would all classified under the same category. Power moves, such as windmills, flares, headspins, etc., are the real flourishes of bboying. They are impressive when thrown into footwork routines, and even on their own, but if you only do powermoves, you will be considered a "power-head", which I'll get into later. Floats are things like turtles, where you hold yourself up on your arms and move, usually in circles, so it looks like your floating-hence the name "floats". Freezes are, just that, freezes. They can range from things as simple as the baby freeze (legs in air, head and hands on ground) to as complex as Nikes (supporting all yor weight on your right hand with your legs bent horizontally in a J shape, so they look like the nike symbol). They usually are used to end a routine. Flips-backflips, frontflips, aerial cartwheels, handsrpings. Enough said. Airtracks and Halos are two different moves, but are so advanced, and since only a handfull of people can do them, they are sometimes thought to be in a class of their own-if you want a more general calls for them, though, it would be powermoves. Handstand moves-self explanatory, moves done in handstands, like 1990s, 2000s, hollowbacks, handstand hops, etc.

Q. Whats a "Powerhead"?
A. As I said above, a powerhead is someone who focuses on power moves. It is a nickname for someone who does this, but is not always derogatory. There are a lot of nicknames used to describe people, which are listed below. (nicknames courtesy of bboy.org)

Powerhead-A term that can be derogatory-used to describe those who focus on mainly power.

Footwork Fanatic-This is a nuetral term that is used to label someone who works on footwork a ot.

Biter-used to describe someone who bites anothers style-although it is hard not to bite today, because there has been so much done w/ breakdancing, try to keep your style as original as possible.

Poser-I dont know the official meaning of this. I guess its someone who pretends to be something their not.

Other Stuff:

I know I'm not supposed to type in all caps, bt I need to emphasize this point: ALWAYS RESPECT OTHERS FOR WHAT THEY DO-IF THEY CHOOSE TO BE A POWERHEAD,RESPECT THEIR CHOCIE-THEY MAY THINK YOU HAVE NO STYLE DOING FOOTWORK ALL THE TIME. Breakdancer and Bboy are not the same thing...a breakdancer is a bboy, but one who obviously does not know their history, and apparently doesnt care about it. A bboy does dance, but knows the history, which is expressed through his choice of title: Not breakdancer, but Bboy.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN BBOYING: STAY TRUE TO YOURSELF-DANCE FOR ONLY YOURSELF, NO MATTER WHAT OTHERS THINK. Bboying is an art form-not just a dance. Make it your own-relate it to a painting. Each artist has their own signature strokes. Each Bboy has their own signature style. Never forget that Bboying is ART, A FORM OF EXPRESSION, AND A WAY TO DEVELOP ORIGINALITY. DANCE HOW YOU WANT TO, PAY NO HEED TO IGNORANT CRITISISM.

And most of all, practice. Airflares and Mills will take a long time. You might learn Mills in 2 Months, it might take you a year. Don't mve on to a more advanced move until you feel like your ready orif you can execute the prerequiste or foundation moves fairly well. Never give up, and if you need instructions for anything about bboying, PM me in...7 days, lol. I can find a guid to almost any move, or I could write one up for you-but until I can PM, just send me an email...
By josephine_7 Comments: 124, member since Wed Dec 15, 2004
On Mon Jan 02, 2006 06:17 PM
thanks for that i will practise
By Keitsumember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 100, member since Tue Jan 04, 2005
On Thu Feb 16, 2006 02:38 PM
That was some good advice he gave guys. It's definitely good to remember your foundation and to take things step by step. Those who come from a solid foundation are excellent. Then you can move onto more abstract or common style and power moves that you may see in videos.
By dizzy123 Comments: 40, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Wed Feb 22, 2006 04:40 PM
that is mad kool...i love the graphics too..thanks!
By lilpotatoe Comments: 1, member since Wed Mar 29, 2006
On Wed Mar 29, 2006 01:26 PM
Wow, I just came across this site while searching on google. I'm really impressed with the good advice posted by you guys. I'm 24, (f), and only taking up bboying now. (Up to now, I could only do one move - involves both hands on the ground, and swinging a leg around and jumping over it) I'm interested if anyone has some tips for a breakdancing virgin? ;)
By lopezbreaker Comments: 17, member since Mon May 08, 2006
On Wed May 10, 2006 11:07 PM
that's great man. thanks
nice demo
By dancinchaz Comments: 21, member since Wed May 24, 2006
On Wed May 24, 2006 09:04 AM
Im LiKiNg Ur ExPlInAtIoN u SeEm LiKe A prEtTy CoOl GuY!! Iv StArTeD BrEaKdAnCiN bOuT 2 mOnThS aGo N tHiNk ItS aWeSoMe!!
By Kingkorredinho Comments: 1, member since Thu Jun 21, 2007
On Thu Jun 21, 2007 08:24 AM
Hey I loved your posts...Great advice.....I'm a new breaker...Thanks for your posts....Anyone who wants to help me out...I would greatly appreciate any help and advice...
By foxygrl Comments: 46, member since Fri Mar 09, 2007
On Sat Nov 24, 2007 08:53 PM
This is a great turitorial.
foxygrl
By B_boy_Vybe Comments: 32, member since Mon Dec 03, 2007
On Mon Dec 03, 2007 04:41 AM
lol the pointers aren't that bad, good tips
Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch