Forum: New Zealand / New Zealand - General

Kiwis = Negative?
By Iridescencemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jan 19, 2005 05:19 PM

I just flew back from Australia yesterday, and I overheard some Australians on my flight talking about how negative us Kiwis are.

I was (and still am) incredibly offended because even though I know personally I can be a little pessimistic (sp?) I thought and I know we are a fairly positive nation. I overheard my Aussie rellies saying the exact same things (that's we're negative and so on and so forth) too.

So are we more negative towards life and other things in general than we like to admit? Or are Australians too quick to judge? Come on guys, I need your reassurance!

6 Replies to Kiwis = Negative?

re: Kiwis = Negative?
By highland_QT29member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jan 19, 2005 05:24 PM
Im not sure at all since Im not Australian! But all the ones that I have met have been the sweetest people I have ever met! I love them! :)
BTW - when I saw your post, I thought you were talking about the fruit kiwis' hehe

-chantelle-
By Angelmum
On Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:08 PM
No - kiwis aren't negative at all.

We just have a laid back attitude that other nationalities perceive as negative. I went to Australia a few months ago, and I overheard Australians complaining about Australians! You can't win!
Perhaps the Australians had overheard Kiwis complaining about the weather here in NZ - which has been crap this summer...or some trivial thing like that?

Anyway, I love NZ and I'm very proud to be a Kiwi
re: Kiwi = Negative?
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:09 PM
Well, we are pretty bad for Tall Poppy Syndrome. But other than that, I dont find us negative at all.

Welcome home! Call me sometime before Parachute, okay? :D
By Sparkz_NzPremium member
On Fri Jan 21, 2005 02:53 PM
meh. Maybe they were just being prejudiced? Like we say americans are stooopid? hahaa, I don't think we're negetive, just want to be paid more attention than we are on a world stage, because we see other countries news all the time(we're too small to fill an hour with our news), but other countries don't seem to notice us (they can easily fill an hour with local news).

So maybe they thought we had complained about their prime minister or something?

I don't think we're negetive, but we do have a little bit of everyone should be the same syndrome. We have a very strong social code of how people should act. When I was in canada, I was constantly amazed about how outgoing and seemingly proud of themselves everyone was. I walked into my calculus class 2 weeks late, and they were getting a test returned, and the teacher was saying:

"congratualtions steve, he got 110% on his test, he got an extra mark for finishing when no one else did"

and everyone started clapping! he raised his hand to receive the applause and started half bowing in his seat. I mean, that guy was a well liked out going guy, but I could never see that happening here. Though, maybe it's cos I never went to high school with guys, but here I could imagine everyone sort of yelling a smart remark up to the person who did well, saying 'bloody brainiac, you always get good marks in maths!" in kind of an off hand mean way.

But, I think thats a culture difference, not a positivity difference!

I'm positive! :D :D :D see??
By Dance_for_Eva
On Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:41 PM
wow, ive always heard of people saying that kiwis are so nice! especially the ones from australia. they said they noticed it the minute they stepped of the plane. how kiwis always smile and create conversation.
By Iridescencemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jan 22, 2005 08:34 PM
Ahhhh thankyou, thankyou, thankyou :) I asked mum about it and she turned around and said that Aussies are arrogant, so why worry? Yeah, I think it's some kind of ignorance... but it kinda annoyed me when I heard that ay.

I'm so proud to be a Kiwi too, I'm proud of our pride :D If that makes sense.

Dipsy, I AM going to call you, but Mum decided to organise my life since i flew back, so I'm gonna try and squeeze ya in sometime ;)

ReplySendWatch